Day 24...and I don't feel very magical.

Hi everyone,

This is my first Whole30. It's been illuminating in many ways re: my relationship with food. I'm sleeping better. I've been following the meal template pretty dang closely (at least I think so, though I am plagued with self-doubt).

The first 9 days or so I felt fantastic. No hangover feelings or carb flu. I felt like a superhero until WHAM, Day 10 (and my period) hit me like a ton of bricks. The last two weeks I have been low-energy, and feeling emotionally raw (part of which I attribute to losing those psychologically damaging coping-foods and alcohol, so not entirely a bad thing). Even though my period is now long-over I have yet to feel anything like tiger blood or even the magic I experienced the first 9 days.

I haven't been snacking except occasionally when truly hungry because I didn't eat enough breakfast (at this point haven't had to snack for the last week). I've been slacking on working out due to low energy and devoting a lot of time to prepping meals.

Disclaimer: i'm a smoker. So yes my whole30....really isn't. It was too much to take on at once and I had digestive issues I really wanted to sort out (and mostly have). I know, shame on me.

I am not having trouble with this way of eating, and I feel it is quite close to how I was eating before. I have been incorporating what I believe is sufficient carb-dense veggies and 1-2 fruits a day. I have been keeping track of what i'm eating (I know, I know!!) Mainly because I would like to be able to look back and say, that meal worked really well and I felt great, or that meal left me hungry, etc. So I know my carbs per day aren't ridiculously low.

Hopefully that extremely long post was sufficient info....but I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks!

Since I know you will ask - this is what I ate yesterday (pretty typical):

M1 - Two eggs (tried three but that left me feeling I'll), 1 TBS coconut oil, 1 cup spaghetti squash and 1/2 cup mushrooms, cup of diced watermelon. And a 1/2 cup coconut milk in coffee.

M2 - 4 oz London broil, 1/2 avocado, 1 TBS olive oil, 1 cup shredded cabbage/carrot, open handful of grape tomatoes, 2 cups or so red leaf lettuce.

M3 - 6oz tilapia cooked in olive oil, 1 cup sautéed swiss chard and onions, 1/2 a large sweet potato, a cup of red grapes.

Open to any and all suggestions!

My personal opinion is that you could go higher on your carb dense vegetables and lower on your fruit. Fruit is optional so I wouldn't include it until you have met the minimums of the template and are still hungry. So in the morning try to get up to an entire serving of eggs or equivalent of protein before you include fruit. Try having the whole sweet potato and see if that makes a difference. You might also try increasing your fat intake a little bit. 

Sleeping better is magic...are you getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night? That will do wonders for your energy levels the more you do it.

I would also encourage you to start thinking about kicking the smoking habit. Smoking kills your appetite which can make it harder to eat enough food for your body to be nourished. 

Thanks Physibeth! Over the last few days I am definitely feeling better. I am getting better with breakfast - I have been adding either a third egg or a link of sausage, and it seems to help. I think it just took me a while to adjust. The fruit, well. It's summer. :) And also I ate 2-3 servings of fruit a day before W30 and it has been hard for me to adjust my buying habits so in part, I find myself adding it just so it doesn't go to waste. Working on that!! I think I also justify it in my head because I do eat it for the fiber and nutrients, not as "dessert".

Thank you so much for the notes on the carb dense veggies and fat. I get very hesitant that I am going overboard. So that makes me feel better!

Sleep - Roger that! 8-9 hours is a real struggle for me. I commute an hour each way to work, and try to get in a workout, shower, deal with dinner - there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day! But I've worked up to a solid 7 hrs a night and am trying really hard to make sleep a priority.

Smoking - absolutely. I wish I had quit pre-W30 and I agree with you 100℅. It messes with your appetite, your metabolism, and there is no way I am kicking my allergies to the curb until I quit. Before W30 I had just a vague "want to quit." But W30 has put my NEED to quit under a spotlight. I can clearly see exactly how it is affecting me. So I have resolved that between now and January, when I will do my second W30, I WILL QUIT.

Archived