Whole 30 - second time around

magritte

This is my second time around - my previous Whole30 was completed on 10th August.

I was really pleased with the results and you can check out my round up of that experience at http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21048-my-first-whole30-completed-with-pics/ .

This time I'm going to tweak a few things.

For a start, I'm not going to be cooking just for myself as my good lady will be joining me on the journey. As a result, many of the things I put up with in my first W30 may not be realistic in this one - I'll definitely need to put more planning into it this time and attempt to get more variety into the meals too.

It's not like I'm short of ideas - I do have Well Fed 1 & 2 and Food For Humans as well as a bunch of other paleo cook books - it's just a case of doing it.

Also, now that I'm training heavier I need to look at improving my pre-WO and post-WO.

While I haven't strayed too far from the path since my last W30 I haven't been eating the same quantity and have been guilty of skipping breakfast - so I need to fix this too.

Anyways - here goes.

Day 1:

Breakfast:

Lorne sausage

Sweet Potato

Lunch:

Smoked salmon

zucchini noodles

sweet potato hash

olives

semi dried tomatoes

Dinner:

Shepherds Pie with Cauliflower Mash (from Well Fed)

Sweet potato hash

zoodles

Kombucha

Day 3:

Breakfast:

Hot Smoked Salmon Fillet

Roast veg - peppers, onion, pumpkin, zucchini

Olives

Lunch:

Hot Smoked Salmon Fillet

Olives

Tomato

Dinner:

Chicken Curry (Fenugreek Chicken)

Riced Cauliflower

Day 4:

Breakfast:

Riced Cauliflower

Lunch: - Hey, I made a lot of this stuff and it's really nice so I'm gonna eat it till it's done. Having said that ... might take me a few more days :S

Riced Cauliflower

Dinner:

Lamb steak

Roast veg

1 x Apple

Day 6:

Breakfast:

Eye fillet steak

Sweet potato

Kale

2 boiled eggs

1/2 banana, 1/2 apple

Lunch:

2 boiled eggs

Chicken curry

Riced cauliflower

Dinner:

Pan seared blue grenadier (fish)

potatoes

Olives

Day 7:

Breakfast:

I broke the rules this morning and had a smoothie <naughty, naughty> as I was making them for the kids. I figured that as it was the equivalent of a very small handful of berries, 1/3 of an apple, 1/3 of a banana and 1/3 of a pear once divided by 3 I really wasn't overconsuming and made sure I took my time with it.

Strangely I didn't feel particularly hungry.

Lunch:

Missed lunch as I was out and about - took the boys swimming, shopping etc..

Dinner:

Baked Fish (gummy shark)

Baked Potato

Kombucha

I should also add that I ran 10K non-stop for the first time EVER - in just under 60 mins. Not bad for a first attempt :) :) :)

• 1 month later...

OK - I'm restarting this thread as I managed to fall (jump) off the truck on day 18. My OH whinged and moaned the entire time she was doing the Whole30 with me and by day 15 she'd decided she'd had enough (I think she was missing her wine too much - it was the first thing she went for when she said she was stopping her Whole30). It really didn't surprise me as although I'd tried to offer some guidance, she doesn't like being told what to do and I invariably got it in the neck. On the other hand, she wasn't prepared to put in the prep work (like reading the book, logging her progress) but instead was expecting me to spoon feed her through the process. It was destined for failure.

I think the other thing that impacted me this time around was that by day 10 I grew bored with updating my log, figuring that there was no need as long as I stayed compliant. Not logging meant that I wasn't accountable any more which made it much easier to make the decision to stop.

Anyway, with all the negativity being thrown around at home and with our holidays coming up I decided to stop and then come back to this when the dust had settled at home and it was going to be less of an issue  and wouldn't conflict with our holiday plans.

So I'm back now and starting again at Day 1.

One observation ... in the intervening few weeks I've developed a really bad sweet tooth. I was never really that much into eating sweets or biscuits and didn't add a lot of sugar to food/drinks. But I seem to have gone overboard - with each passing day I was adding more and more sugar to my diet. Really craving the stuff - rushing out to buy sweets and chocolate. It's strange as when I completed my previous Whole30 I really didn't feel like I needed the sugar and taking a week off in between Whole30's didn't impact me at all. So I can't really figure out why this happened. Needless to say, I've added a few kilos back on. So it has to stop now - I'm expecting this to be quite a challenge this time around.

Archived