Why is my Whole 30 making me feel depressed?

ragbaby

I'm on day 22. There is no tiger blood, sleep is not reliably great although I'm working on the best sleep hygene possible. I don't feel much different to before W30 apart from my very bleak mood. I'm about the same size but possibly lost an inch around the waist.

Depression started in week 1 when I was really missing a social life - I can't go out with my heavy drinking friends and not drink - it's really boring to be around drunk people when you are sober. I don't get a great deal of time when I can leave the house because I'm a single parent and childcare is limited so I haven't been out for a night with adults for over 3 weeks. I attributed my very low mood to a resentment that I couldn't have what I wanted and a bitterness at feeling isolated so I rode it out.

Isolation isn't making me happy but is that the only thing that is making everything seem so much like hard work? Is it possible that I'm missing out on something I was eating before that was making me happier?

Before W30 I was primal, with alcohol. I had sugar of any sort very rarely, wheat once or twice a month, pulses once or twice a month. I had butter daily but cheese once or twice a week. I ate pretty clean, cooked most everything. I'm menopausal and I use half a cup of soya milk a day to add oestragen. I've experimented without it and it's not worth the hot flushes or mood swings. I take 5htp for sleep now, not sure if it makes any difference, hard to tell.

Any ideas much appreciated. If I google Whole 30 and depression I get success stories. I don't feel like this is a success.

Perhaps post your daily meal plans so people can offer suggestions? Not enough food, not enough carbs, not enough fat can really play havoc with moods in a range of people. Alcohol withdrawal hits some people really hard too. And many with hormone variations take a while for balance to be returned and can suffer a bit more before feeling lots better....

Yesterday -souflee omlette with courgettes, onions, tomato sauce made from fresh tomatos,spinach and aubergines, home made mayo

beef stew with root veg

steak and baked potato with mayo and greens

today - leftover steak and baked potato with poached egg and salad

not sure about lunch

chicken for later.

I'm pretty sure my meals are balanced, I posted in another thread on around day 15 about not being sure this was the right thing for me and someone pointed out that I wasn't having much fat but since then I've been on the case with it more.

I was hoping your meals would reveal that you were not eating enough carbs, but it looks like you are eating enough. I don't see a reason based in food that explains your mood.

Thanks anyway Tom. I've not got long to go, hopefully something will shift.

It's not as if I was really happy before I started the W30 but I am sure I wasn't this miserable. I'm looking forward to a return to not thinking about food all the time and it not dictating where i go and what I do.

Ragbaby, I can't offer much advice as I have been feeling similarly since day 10 and I am now at day 25. Felt a bit better yesterday and today but nothing close to tiger blood! I felt awesome the first 9 days and then, BLEH! I also am coming from an already pretty healthy diet - minimal sugar, grains, or dairy - or even legumes except peanut butter.

Sorry I don't have the solution for you but I sympathize and am standing strong with you! I may extend my W30 a bit to see what happens. Maybe our bodies are just stubborn! Hope you find your tiger blood and start feeling amazing soon!

Take a look at this thread: may give you some areas to explore http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9938-how-whole30-made-me-crazy-and-why/

Thanks that is really helpful - I've been careful to have carbs at at least 2 meals a day so I'm not convinced it's the amount I'm having although I'll keep a close eye on it and make sure I don't drop them by accident.

I was prescribed antidepressants twice and they didn't do me any good because (the Dr decided) my depression was circumstantial and nothing to do with my brain chemicals. I've been pretty stressed out and I do everything in my power to destress but I think that might have taken it's toll and life without a drink when all your friends do is drink is just miserable. I wonder if it's just outside stuff.

Also because I ate pretty clean before I haven't seen a magical drop in clothes size or increase in energy, and that is pretty depressing, A pay of for hard work put in would be very helpful and cheering.

As an example of menus I'm just cooking prawns and sweet potato which I'll have with coconut and chilli and spinach. Lunch was pork and pineapple with potatos.

I really will keep an eye on the carbs, thank you everyone.

GFChris, I think you just solved my W30 conundrum by posting that link. I am not convinced I need to stop my W30 or even that I can't continue eating this way long past my W30 but I think I need to experiment with my carb amounts. I am SO grateful to you - THANK YOU!

Are you excercising at all? I have found that whilst I might fight against it due to old habits etc, I always feel much better when I do. It lifts the spirits I think. Also, cashew nuts, just a handful have the same effect apparently on the brain as Prozac!! Think I saw that on Food Inc?? Or another on net flicks, can't remember which. Also, sometimes it's good to look at such programmes or documentaries etc. Well for me it was good! I felt proud and strong and that I believe enhances a certain confidence which in turn gives you a feel good factor. You have done so well to get to this stage. Be proud of what you have achieved, even though you cannot feel it, or tell the difference yet, this can only be of benefit to you. Make sure too that you are drinking loads of water to flush those toxins away. Perhaps also see if there are other ways of enjoying other adults company bar going out to a bar etc. Maybe there is a class or something that you could do?? You know something like a hobby or something to take yourself away from everyday responsibilities as a single mum??

There is no doubt this is one heck of a challenge to ourselves. You have chosen to do it and you haven't given up on that committment to yourself. That in itself says a lot about your strength of character. You haven't thrown the towel in just because you haven't seen the physical results! You are sticking with it with only 8 days left!!

I was in the same boat myself for years with my older child! It's very tough and it can make you feel isolated. I do yoga too :-) ashtanga yoga! Couldn't do it for years because of the ME/CFS but so thrilled I can now again. It's very tough though and the brain tries to tell me I don't need to do it some days!! Silly brain lol!! God job I don't be listening to it to often! :-)

• 3 years later...
On 8/25/2014 at 12:15 PM, GFChris said:

Take a look at this thread: may give you some areas to explore http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9938-how-whole30-made-me-crazy-and-why/

Does anyone know if this is still available? I tried to follow the link and it didn’t work. Also struggling with depression. I also would be interested in any more recent threads on this topic. Thank you! Was really hoping for all the mood benefits of the program, am bummed that I have been so depressed and down.

Archived