Starting My Whole 30 25th August

wholedlyon

Simply put, i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I've been starting and stopping eating healthily for so long and i need to get my eating under control, for my family and for myself.

I watched Mellissa's Paleo fx video about depression and cravings and a lot of it made sense to me. I'm stressed out, both mentally and physically. I cant continue the way i have been going.

I have a lot of weight to lose, currently sitting at 321 lbs, but most imporatntly i need to change my relationship with food. Its both my best friend and worst enemy.

This will be a tough 30 days and i'll probably have to continue well beyond the 30 days. Right now im focussing on a day at a time, week at a time, 30 days at a time.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawn, that sounds like a great idea.

It seems there are a few of us on here that have started on the 25th so we should be able to support each other and keep each other going over the next 30 days.

Here's to an entertaining 30 days.

Good morning! Sitting here having my coffee, pork chops laid out for dinner. Got a headache this morning. I think its just my usual, not from the program. I get headaches almost daily and sometimes migraines. not sure what is for lunch, but breakfast will be bacon and eggs. I'm on another page for support too, I'll get you the name of it later. cant remember it right now. Do you Facebook? We can message each other there too if you do. Hope you have a great day

Dawn

Good Morning Dawn

I had a headache yesterday too, mainly from caffiene withdrawl. The Carb flu hit me pretty hard yesterday but I managed through, having a lot to do awway from my desk yesterday certainly helped.

I planned out my meals for the week and did some cooking on Sunday and last night to give me easy options for the coming week. I dont mind eating the same meals a few times a week so i'll cook in bulk which makes things easier for me.

I'm still need to get better at incorporating more vegetables into my meals. It's a work in progress.

Hope you have a great day and start feeling better soon.

David

Good morning David

I had a good day yesterday except for the small headache. Went to the grocery store and picked up a few things. Not many ideas on veggies so I REALLY need to work on that. We had grilled pork chops and roasted cauliflower for dinner then I had fresh pineapple and cantaloupe for dessert. Got hungry about 8pm so I had a plum. Didn't satisfy my sweet cravings but it did fill me up.

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well yesterday. Hope you feel better today. I don't eat a lot of carbs usually so I don't think I'll have that problem. Caffeine on the other hand will be a problem. I drink coffee every morning. Tried to give it up before but couldn't do it. Headaches got to bad. Not gonna give up the coffee for awhile. Gonna cut it back slowly and hoping for no headaches.

Gonna try and have a good day today. Hope you have a great day too.

Dawn

Good morning David

Having a great morning so far. I broke one of the rules and got on the scale. I'm down 4 lbs since I got back from vacation. Granted 2 lbs were probably water weight since I was in the mountains and I live in the desert. I always retain some water when we go to the mountains. I'm so psyched about staying on track with this program. I have tried so many programs and either they didn't work or they only worked for a short time and I gained it all back plus some extra. I'm not even exercising yet!

So how are you doing today? I hope your doing great! Are you feeling any side affects today? No headache for me today. A little tired but that's from not getting home till midnight last night.

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day.

Dawn

Good Morning Dawn

I hope you had a great time on vacation and well done for starting the whole 30 while away. It is tempting to see what the scale says but so far i've resisted. I guess for me it's more about the overall improvement in health just now, rather than weight loss.  I will need to lose a lot of weight but just now i'm focussing on feeling better.

I'm still feeling a little rough, but i'm getting better with each day.I managed to get through a 2 hr Kendo session on Wednesday night which i was pleased about. My other exercise so far has been walking.

My diet was pretty poor before i started, i deserve what i get. The whole 30 timeline said that the hangover severity is proportional to your diet pre whole 30.

My only source of caffiene was soda, so i went cold turkey. It'll be better in the long term but for now still the occoasional headache.

Hope you have a great day and maintian your focus on staying on track.

We can do this!

David

Hi dawn and david...looks like I found you dawn. Like u I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm 51 and have been fighting my weight for approximately 10 years now. ..can't take it anymore. I'm buying the book today and hope to get through enough to start. I'd love to work with u and david. Please keep me posted. Cindy

Hi Cindy, I hope you are well.

It's been a while since I read the book but it certainly was illuminating. I would say you could start without reading the whole book, it gives you the reasons why to take the whole 30 approach but what to do is contained in the downloads available online.

I'm currently on day 6 and still feeling the effects of the carb flu. I am however noticing some big differences, clothes are already noticeably looser and I'm sleeping like a log at night. I've got a long way to go but I'm feeling pretty positive about seeing out the 30 days and beyond.

When are you planning to start? What are your goals. The forum is great if you need to ask questions or vent your frustrations. We may be at a different stage of the journey but well be happy to help.

Good luck and stay in touch.

hi you 2,

I just can't stay off the scale each morning. I got on again and am really excited to say I'm back down to 227lbs, which is what I was at the beginning of summer. My heaviest I got this summer was 232lbs. Day 6 and I'm already down 5lbs... I was really craving chocolate last night but seeing the scale yesterday made me stay away from it. I knew it wouldn't be worth it. I went shopping instead. Bought a new top and 2 new purses. Had coupons for Kohl's so I should of spent around $130.00 but only spent $45.00 Not to bad. One of the purses was $60. to start with. lol

David, My diet was pretty good before I started this, just not whole30 compliant. I ate lots of veggies, salads and fruits, but lots of beans and rice since we live in New Mexico. Lots of Mexican food here. I am always bloated and look 9 months pregnant. Last night I noticed that my waistband on my shorts wasn't rolling down like they normally do. Great sign!!!! Im gonna take some measurements today to have something to compare to at the end of the 30 days. I suggest you both do the same. It'll make you feel good to know how many inches you loose around your stomach even if you don't loose that much on the scale.

I'm not exercising right now because of my knee. It hurts really bad and hard to walk at times. I think I turned it the wrong way and pulled something. If its not better in a couple of weeks I'll go to the Ortho and get xrays. I hate exercising anyway at this weight. It's just so hard. I try and at least walk everyday. I was going to the gym and walking on the treadmill, but gave that up. couldn't justify driving all the way into town(15 miles) just to walk on treadmill. I'm looking at buying one for at home.

I bought the 2 cookbooks that are whole 30 compliant, wellfed and wellfed 2. got them for under $30 on Amazon. Got a peeler/slicer for pineapple for under $5 too. I love pineapple. Gonna try and make the mayo today. Wish me luck. Was told its really good.

Well off to get some breakfast. Eggs, sausage and a avocado.

We can do this

Dawn

It sure is quiet around here today and yesterday. Guess everyone is off with their families.

I'm doing great so far. Fell asleep at 8pm again last night but had lots of energy yesterday.

Hope you 2 are doing good. Hope you have a great day.

We can do this

Dawn

Hi all!

Just found your thread and was wondering if I could join you all. I both can't believe it's already day 7 and wish we were further along. That's how it goes I suppose :)

I was specially drawn in by the top post of being tired of being sick and tired. I've been battling my weight (with occasional success) since college and am ready to be on a track where I can make some real progress. I'm hoping that the Whole30 with put me in a headspace where I don't have to be 100% compliant but can rely on myself to make choices that are good for my body. Because sometimes you need ice cream, but not everyday. Dang I love ice cream.

So far I've managed to avoid the 'hangover' symptoms, but lack of appetite, weird sleep and digestive issues are definitely present. I know they'll pass, so I just have to wait it out.

Hope you all are having spectacular weekends. We can do this!!

Hi All ~  wondering if I might join as well.  I am not going to officially start my 30 days until Sept 4th.  Giving my self time to get my pantry and fridge in order... meals planned and ready to go !   I am 45 and am also tired of being not my healthiest.  I have been following a mostly Paleo diet for over a year, but have not given up dairy.  I have a 13 yr old daughter who is also following the same diet (she really doesn't have choice !! )  I wanted her to also join me in this new adventure but I got a firm NO WAY !!.  she asked (with some emotion) if she could PLEASE PLEASE have a sandwich with Bread !!  Which is funny because before cleaning up our food choices - sandwiches were really not a must have for either of us !   I am hovering the 200-205lb mark and am suffering some foot, shoulder and hip issues.  Limited exercise ~ mostly just choosing to Not Do it.   BUT I have decided to go to a basic yoga class - baby steps.

Looking forward to all the support !

Tina

Welcome Comomegs

I too live ice cream and pretty much anything sweet. Having a hard time with bread too. We camp a lot so we eat a lot of sandwiches so I'm having a hard time planning my meals this week. I'll figure it out though. My hubby is trying to help. Lol. He's trying hard to help me.

I wish I had found this program years ago. I have tried many programs but usually gained weight on them. Expecially WW. I'm not finding it hard to stick to this program. I enjoy all the fruits and veggies.

So far all I've had are a few headaches and falling asleep at 8pm. Otherwise I feel great.

Have you looked into the cookbook Wellfed? It was highly recommended for me to get it. I found it on Amazon for around $17. I just ordered it a couple of days ago. Can't wait till it gets here.

Great progress on your next 3 weeks.

We can do this

Dawn

Welcome ts2cuties

I too hate exercise. I was 232 when I started this program 7 days ago. I'm feeling pretty great compared to other from what I'm hearing. Not having the hangover or carb flu that everyone talks about. I have an occasional headache and I fall asleep around 8pm while watching tv. But during the day I have more energy than I did a week ago.

I'm lucky that my husband is kinda doing this with me. He's not giving up anything, but is eating and helping me cook all compliant foods. He still eats breads and dairy in front of me but I have to learn to deal with that in a normal world.

I'm suffering from knee and hip problems, mostly knee pain. That's keeping me from doing any exercises. Its all I can do just to do my normal housework daily. We're also in the process of moving into a new house and all the up and down the stairs moving boxes is killing me. We're almost done with all the moving boxes and now to all the unpacking and rearranging. I guess that can be considered some exercise. lol

Great that your doing the program with us

We can do this

Dawn

Hello Dawn

Apologies for being quiet over the weekend. Being off work at the weekends, I enjoy not being rooted in front of a computer.

It sounds like you are doing great, have you been able to stay away from the scales yet? I've still to do my measurements but will ask my wife to help with that. We should enjoy the little victories as they happen, looser waistbands and new clothing certainly will encourage us to stick to the plan.

I feel your pain with Mexican food. My wife is an amazing baker is making birthday cakes or cupcakes almost every week. It makes being compliant difficult. I'm lucky she didn’t have any to do this week.

I have both of the Well Fed cookbooks, I think they are great. Well Fed taught me how to cook more efficiently with hot plates and bulk meals which could be stored. The Mayo recipe in Well Fed is the best I’ve found and gives a lot of different ways to change it up too. I'm a big fan of the Scotch Eggs (Italian style) and had one for breakfast this morning. The Chilli and the Italian Meat sauce are also very good in WF2.

The Scotch Eggs could be good for your camping, handheld protein and change from plain old boiled eggs.

Hi Comomegs

You are more than welcome to join, the more the merrier.

I’ve been battling with my health since college too, almost 9 years, and experience some short term success. This time I’ll do it. We’ll do it.

I had some ice cream the day before I started and I really didn’t enjoy it. I think the reward from some junk foods isn’t there for me now. I’m not missing anything in particular just now.

You’re lucky to avoid the hangover symptoms; I’m just coming out of the phase now.

Best of luck in the remaining 3 weeks, any way we can help just let us know.

Hello Tina

Anyone is welcome to join. The more people we have, the more accountable we’ll feel. You’re helping up stay with the program.

Having a clean pantry will make a huge difference. I wish you the best of luck when you begin. The sudden elimination approach of the whole 30 may not work for everyone and your daughter may benefit from a transition into it. When she sees your success, you’ll become her inspiration.

I had knee pain also which has all but disappeared in the last 7 days. It’s strange when you are used to pain being there and then it suddenly isn’t there any more.

I hope you enjoy the Yoga.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

David

Good morning all!

Hope everyone's day 8 is off to a great start! My grocery shopping day is today, but a big storm with lots of wind has me delaying that for a bit. So I'm all relaxed under a blanket it watching it move through. Not bad for a Monday!

My goal this week is to prepare more foods that I would have made and enjoyed before Whole 30 that are compliant. Lots of simple a la carte things that will make building a meal simple. Also I'm going to need lots of sweet potatoes this week.

I've had the crazy dreams for the past couple days where I eat something non-compliant and feel SO GUILTY. It's very odd and I'm ready for those to pass. That plus the digestive issues are my biggest roadblocks right now.

Congrats to all on the first week!

Good morning all,

Had a bad night of sleep last night so I'm exhausted this morning. Had something happening in the community last night. Had fire trucks and cops speeding by several times which had the dogs barking all night which kept waking me up. So I think today should have a nap scheduled in it.

NO headache so far this morning which is unusual for me. especially after last night. No other bad symptoms either. Had some chocolate cravings yesterday which was a killer for me. Being home alone and cravings are not a good mix.

David-I'm trying to stay off the scale but its really hard. I will do it though. I wasn't saying you were being quite yesterday, I meant the whole site was quite. Not many post anywhere this weekend. Guess everyone was off with their families.

Not sure whats for dinner tonight. Something to through on the grill I imagine. Will most likely have sweet potatoes for a vegetable, I love them. Hubby does most of the cooking of the meat so it usually goes on the grill. We grill all year 'round here. Winters are very mild here in the desert. I really need to get better at planning out meals. I need to look at the meal template and start using it.

Hope everyone has a great holiday, day off today and stay on track.

We can do this

Dawn

Happy Labor Day to you all

Comomegs - I've never had guilty food dreams, it too hope they pass for you soon. Sounds like you spent a Monday morning like a lot of people wish they could, in bed.

Dawn - I love BBQ too, but we don't get the weather often in Scotland. My family loves onions from the grill, wrap the whole thing in foil and put it on while you cook the rest of the meat. It ends up soft and juicy and tastes awesome.

I noticed there were not too many updates over the weekend, hope all the whole 30ers are enjoying the holidays while staying on plan.

I've gotten into the habit of meal planning on the day i food shop. i hate wasting food so try to buy only what i need. My meals could seem a little repetitive each week but i dont mind eating the same meals more than once a week if it tastes nice.

Hope you have a great day 8.

We can do this!

David

Hey fellow August 25th starters!

My wife and I started last Monday also I just saw this thread. I'd love to join and share experiences as we all go through these 30 days. It's been really nice to have someone that is experiencing similar struggles and rewards. We have two children 12 and 7 that aren't doing the Whole30 but they are getting all the benefits of the great meals we have been making. We just didn't want to restrict what they ate when they go to friends houses. 

Anyways, I've experience similar symptoms that everyone has described earlier in the feed. Headaches and some low energy early. Overall I have been feeling pretty great except when I work out. It's pretty common to feel very lethargic during works out while your body switches from using sugar in your blood for energy to glycogen in fat for energy. That has been my biggest challenge. 

Today I had a return of headaches this morning which I thought was interesting. I am thinking that it may be caused from delaying two of my meals. My Friday night dinner and Saturday morning breakfast meals were much later than normal because of life happening. Both times I was experiencing pretty serious hunger withdraws which were pretty rough. Lunch was a later than normal yesterday and diner was at a normal time. I didn't sleep that great last night and had a headaches this morning plus some cold symptoms. First thing I did was go to the kitchen for breakfast. Hopefully staying more on schedule or having emergency food available if I'm off schedule will help avoid this issue if it happens again. 

Oh and I love Well Feed 2! The sauces and side dishes have been a life savor. We also really like the BBQ sauce recipe on page 56 for BBQ chicken.  My kids even liked it which was surprising.

Take care!

Jon

David,

We put green onions {scallions}, potatoes, and squash, all on the grill too. We put a little olive oil, garlic salt, onion power, steak seasoning, and sometimes creole seasoning. wrap in foil and place on grill. We also did corn on cob before I started the program. Pretty much anything can go on the grill if you get creative. lol

My sister-in-law is from Scotland. She says it is always raining there. They go back every year for a visit. She still has all of her family there. They always bring back beautiful pictures. Not sure what part of Scotland she is from though. I know its close to a great golf course and not far from where the Lock Ness Monster is supposed to be. They went there a couple of months ago when they were there visiting her parents.

I TRY to plan out some of my meals for the week. My hubby works 24 hour shifts with the fire department so every other day I'm home alone for 24 hours. I hate cooking for just myself. I usually over cook food so I have leftovers for the days I'm alone. My problem is with the vegetables. Our store just doesn't have a great supply of them or variety. That's why I'm hoping the cookbooks will give me different ideas on how to cook them. Just got my email from Amazon that they just shipped and will be here Friday!!!

Well, off to go check the freezer to figure out whats for dinner tonight.

Have a great day

Dawn

Welcome Jon,

Glad to have you join us here. Thanks for the info on the BBQ sauce. We do a lot of BBQing and I was really dreading not getting to add the sauce on my meat.

Delaying meals will certainly cause headaches. I tend to do that often. We live far from the city, so when I go to town, I either eat right before I go or I end up having to skip lunch which isn't good. by the time we get home it almost dinner time. I then end up with a headache late at night. When that happens I go to bed and wake up with the same headache. Then its a bad day for all around me. lol

Hope you have a great holiday and stay on track

We can do this

Dawn

Archived