Starting My Whole 30 25th August

wholedlyon

So great to see everyone checking in on this Monday!

Got all of my shopping and food prep for the week done, so I feel like I'm on a good track for the upcoming days. Going to do a lot of mix and match this week. For example, lunch today was grilled chicken, a hard-boiled egg, fresh sliced bell pepper, cashews and some grapes. Dinner tonight will be a grilled burger with an egg on top (put an egg on it!), baked sweet potato with a few pecans on top and a side of sautéed veggies. They're simple, easy to throw together from my prep and delicious!

I also think I've finally seen an uptake in my energy! Just as today has gone on, I've felt like I'm less lethargic and a little more clear than in the past few days, so here's hoping that sticks around.

Best of luck on a great day eight!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Bonnie,

Glad your doing this with me. Now I'll have someone LOCAL to support me. This will work for us!! We can go shopping together sometimes and I'll share my book with you. You'll have to buy your own cookbooks (Wellfed and Wellfed 2), though.lol I'll let you look at them first though. I found them on Amazon for around $17 for one and less $ for the other. Suppose to be here on Friday. Until then, you can find some recipes on the website theclothesmakethegirl.com

We can do this

Dawn

Jon,

My cookbooks wont be in until Friday and my husband wants to fix ribs again this week. Can you post the recipe for the BBQ sauce? I would really appreciate it. It's not listed on her website.

thanks

Dawn

We ask that you wait until you receive your copy of Well Fed 2 to use Melissa Joulwan's BBQ recipe, and not to post it here. If it's not on her website, it's copyright-protected. To post any such recipe here would violate the author's copyright, sorry.

Hi Everyone !   I have been enjoying some of the "forbidden fruits" before starting my 30... meaning sugar and cream in my coffee,  agave in my ice tea, and 1 final starbucks white chocolate mocha.   I only drink coffee with sugar and cream   ok maybe a little coffee w/ my cream !  so no coffee for me any more (and I don't think I will miss it)  

with following Paleo - bread, pasta, beans, peanuts are already out of our diets.  The dairy, and extra sugar/salt, condiments will be another story.  I am going to try my hand at the mayo - I also got the recipe from wellfed.

Dawn - we are big campers too.  So last year was my breaking in year, we bring the makings for sandwiches but use a hardy lettuce and make wraps.  Or I bring hard boiled eggs, cheese, ham and veggies and just fill plates -  EVENTUALLY you will NOT miss the bread.  it is amazing how you can actually taste your food without all that bread in the way!

The challenge for me is finding good quality organic - pasture meats. There is a farmers market on Wed, at the local organic/health store and I am hoping to stock up on some items.  Already have lots of salad and salad toppings for the week. (my stand by for during the work week)

I enjoy reading everyone's stories - Keep up all of your hard work !!

Tina

me again !    Just a suggestion for those that do like sweet potatoes... especially if you are bored.   I LOVE (both of my kids too) to cut them up (either by themselves or with lots of other veggies - carrots, brussel sprouts, onions, carrot, squash) toss with olive oil, and balsamic vinegar, tyme salt and pepper   and then bake until brown and yummy !!  I usually stick them in a 450 oven.   I also grill them. Asparagus and brussel sprouts are great on the grill too.  

Good luck everyone with meal planning !  For myself I have to -on the weekends - do all my cooking so that I do not have to pause and think "augh what is for supper !"

Tina

Thanks Tina for the suggestions. I'm in the process of packing the camper with food and making out the meal plan for while we're gone.

Jon, I found the recipes for the BBQ sauce online. There is one from Paleo and one from Whole30. Thanks anyway.

It's 8:30 and I'm not falling asleep. I might be getting rid of the last of the side affects. So happy!! Hope everyone has a great night.

We can do this

Dawn

Welcome Jon and Bonnie

Jon, I felt pretty similar to you yesterday too. The big difference I've felt over the last few days is that my legs feel lighter and I have more of a spring in my step.

It's great that you have your wife to do this with you and I'm sure you'll be trying lots of new recipes to keep the kids engaged too.

I'm going to have to have another look at Well Fed 2, I homed in on a couple of recipes but you guys are talking about a few recipes I havent tried yet.

Dawn, the BBQ sounds great. I've never had a Whole,30 BBQ and, as you said, it's about being creative.

It sounds like you sister in law would be from North Scotland, possibly near inverness. It's about a 4 hour drive from me which is the other side of the country from us.

The highlands are beautiful and i can understand why she loves to visist each year. The weather is unpredictble here, we can can get all seasons in a single day which makes planning for the weather difficult.

Bonnie, glad you could join us. Now Dawn has some local support too. I look forward to hearing how your journey goes.

Comomegs, what a difference an egg makes. I sometimes like to make lots of meal components and mix them up too. Each meal could be similar but still be a new experience.  I'm really enjoying the breakfast bake I made, it has Sausage, Spinach, Cauliflower rice, Eggs, Coconut milk and spices in it.

Tina, Enjoy the dairy and sugar pre whole 30. I hope the transition to Whole 30 isnt too painful when it begins. I love cookign my veg in the oven too. 

I like to do my broccoli in the oven too. I mix up a Tbsp of Olive oil, Lemon juice & Fish Sauce, add a tsp of minced garlic, salt, pepper and Coriander and drizzle the lot of the florets and bake for around 20 mins. I've never enjoyed steamed or boiled broccoli so this is a great alternative for me.

Hope everyone has a brilliant day.

We can do this!

David

Day 9 has arrived!

I wish I could say I'm feeling great today, but my digestive discomfort paired with some PMS and cramps made for a not-so-fun last night or morning. Managed to make myself eat some breakfast and had more energy than I usually do right after waking up, but just not feeling stellar. Darn lady business.

I'm gearing up for a busy week with lots of opportunities to go off track, but I have myself prepared and my tiny cooler ready to transport my food around. Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!

Hi everyone,

Today is going good so far. Went to the store to stock up on fruit for our upcoming camping trip. We leave tomorrow. Can't wait till the summer is over, then no more camping trips which will make this easier. Need to go get a full size food processor. To many items call for one, like making the mayo.

Anyway, off to get the camper loaded. Everyone have a great day.

We can do this

Dawn

Hi Everyone !  I ordered Wellfed and it should be here tomorrow  ~ so excited to get at those recipes!  I have been in such a rut and my 13yr is of no help ! 

Dawn good luck with camping.... anything you could cook at home - you can cook on the road ! I just got a food processor myself  so happy !!

David ~ so jeaous - have always wanted to go to Scotland.

Jon and Bonnie - welcome !

I can't wait to start - you all are so positive, and wonderfully supportive.

Tina

Day 9 almost done. Nice job all!

Sorry Dawn for missing your post. I'm glad you were able to find a BBQ recipe. Have a great time camping.

Another great recipe was the Buffalo chicken salad. Bring 1 lbs of chicken and 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Then bring to a simmer for 20 min. Let sit in hot broth for another 20 min and then it's ready to shred. Mix two tablespoons of melted ghee with 1/4 cup (or more) of hot sauce then mix in with the shredded chicken. Eat over a salad. YUMMMM!!!

Tina Marie I'm jealous that you got a new food processor. Ours is literally falling apart. Hopefully it can make the complete 30 days.

Talk to you all on day 10.

Jon

good evening all,

Went and got the food processor. made the mayo and ranch dressing. don't use dried herbs for the dressing. use fresh or it must sit overnight before you can use it. doesn't really taste like ranch to me though. the mayo was good. easy to make too. the trick is to pour REALLL slow. almost got all the food in the camper. just cut up a pineapple and cantaloupe to take. Now to go and finish laundry.

hope everyone had a great day.

We can do this

Dawn

Jon, where do I find ghee?

And we're into day 10!

According to the timeline, we've entered the Hardest days.

I feel pretty good about today, I have my lunch packed for work and i've jst finished breakfast now. I had a lunchtime meet and greet with a new graduate yesterday and managed to navigate the canteen to stay compliant, baked potato and boiled eggs.

I managed to eat out but stay complaint so to speak, not exactly michelin star cuisine but it did the job.

Comomegs, i hope you are feeling better today and manage to stay on track. Remember you always have a choice. I'm sure with the cooler in hand you'll be able to get through the challanges that come your way.

Dawn, enjoy the camping trip and enjoy the food you've prepared to take with you. I havent made mayo in a while but when i did i made it by hand. My food processer was too powerful and the stick blender i hand tended to overheat. Making it by hand is defeinately a good workout, for your forearmand your patience.

I had a look at the BBQ Beef recipe in WF2 and think it'l be on next weeks meal plan.

Tina, i hope you make it over to Scotland some day. The only thing better than the scenery is the people. We're a little fractured just now with the upcoming independence referendum which is appears in the polls to be 50/50 split.

How are your whole 30 preparations going?

Jon, the buffalo chicken sounds fantastic. I fell in love with Buffalo chicken when I spent a summer in New Jersey while at University. I think i'll need to look it up and give it a try.

Hope everyone has a ggreat day.

We Can Do This!

David

Hi all-

Hooray for making it to Day 10! There's definitely something about double digits and about being a third of the way through the program (me with the math again!). :)

David, thank so much for the kind words. I'm feeling so much better today, and am ready to hit these hard days running (ok, maybe just walking briskly).

I know the timeline says today and tomorrow should be the hardest days, so I'm hoping to stay extra focused while also dealing with a few very hectic work days ahead. I've done lots of planning, so I'm confident I will make it and stay compliant!

I'm feeling my energy and mood slowly becoming more even. Of course, having PMS, etc. didn't exactly make that easy! I also had another food dream last night where I was halfway through a cinnamon muffin before I realized what I was doing!

I'm for sure feeling better and I finally made myself take a nice long walk yesterday, but I think it's important to acknowledge that this can have it's rough patches. The 'I can't eat another egg' and 'All I want is ice cream' and 'The thought of eating right now is the last thing I want' sort of moments. I'm only a third of the way through the Whole30 and I'm already nervous about reintroduction. So this week I need to take some time to examine the mental side of how I'm feeling.

I hope you all have the most magnificent Day 10. Let's power through these tough days and get ready for the Tiger Blood!

Well, I'm kicking myself in the ass right now. I ate some trail mix last night which was suppose to be only dried fruit and nuts. It had added SUGAR!! I didn't read the ingredients till this morning when I had some stomach issues. That will teach me to read ALL labels!! Even the one saying ALL NATURAL!! Guess I'm back to day one!

Hope everyone is having a better start to the day than I am.

We can and will do this

Dawn

So sorry to hear that Dawn. Yes "All Natural" certainly doesn't mean what you think it would mean. I saw this video yesterday and it reminded me to not believe what the label always says. I bought some Applegate Organic Sliced turkey yesterday only to find out that it contained a small amount of carrageenan which is a Whole30 no no. 

On the cup half full side, part of the Whole30 is to learn how your body reacts to certain types of foods. I think your experience this morning with an upset stomach after eating sugar shows that sugar doesn't agree with your body. Post Whole30 this should help consciously and subconsciously when you choose something to eat and your options aren't just confined to Whole30 choices.

Keep the positive attitude. We are here to support you!

Jon 

Hi!  I'm still here, just real busy.  I'm not 100% sure what compliant is, but this is what I had on Labor Day and yesterday:

Labor Day--Apple, a tiny piece of steak, sautéed mushrooms and onions and butternut squash.

Yesterday--can of tomatoes blended with deep greens mix (spinach, chard and kale), an apple, a piece of chicken (roasted, no skin), a leafy salad, papaya, more chicken in the evening with green beans and avocado.

Sounds pretty boring but it tasted good and I was not all that hungry throughout the day.  I get hungry late at night; so last night I eat a grapefruit.

Oh, and I also drank green tea, a lot of it!  No sugar or anything.

Today I had my usual can of tomatoes blended with the greens and at mid morning I had some papaya (I know I'm protein deficient possibly).  I usually eat some protein at lunch and supper.

I have a pot luck at 2:00 not sure how that is going to go; I think they are having ham. :(

tomorrow is my DAY....reading all your posts is very encouraging. I tried to go to a farmers market today - but they only had 1 vendor. There is a BIG farmers market downtown - but WAY to many people, not enough veggie stands. The city decided that they would open up the bars, and allow drinking all throughout the market. I'm ok with drinking - but it gets to be just too much.

Good luck with the food processor ! I got a Black & Decker at wally mart for $29, so far am very happy with it. my zucchini was shredded perfectly. AND it makes GREAT banana ice cream !!

Here's to waking up tomorrow to a new way of life !

We Can Do This !!

Tina

Bad news!  At the pot luck I had a choice of ham, mashed potatoes, two different kinds of store-bought potato salad, pasta salad and a variety of potato chips and tostadas.  The recurring theme seemed to be potatoes, or at least starch.  Oh and we had sodas, sweet tea and coffee; I had coffee--no sugar or cream.  So it seems that the least offensive of all was a tiny little piece of ham, mashed potatoes and pasta salad (it had veggies--cucumbers and avocados).  And since I was off the wagon anyway, I had a small piece of cake and a small scoop of ice cream.  So I guess it's back to the drawing board again tomorrow.  :)

Hey

Comomegs, we need to do what we can with what we have. As you say the boundless energy of Tiger Blood will come, we just need to blast few a few more obstacles first.

I hadn’t considered reintroduction after the 30 days. I have a ton of weight to lose and believe it would be better for me to extend my whole 30 longer. Right now I’m focussing on the 30.

I’m having a much better whole 30 than previous attempts. In the past I focussed too much on what I was missing out on and what other people thought of my diet. This time I’m enjoying the food I’m eating, I’m not making my diet stressful and I’m not hiding it from others. I had gotten sick of hearing the red meat is bad, fat is bad dogma in the past.

I hope you get to Tiger Blood soon.

Dawn, sorry to hear that. Sugar is like sand, it gets everywhere. How is the rest of your camping trip going? It happens, you need to put it behind you and move forward. You can still do this.

Jon, I agree with you, we need to take what we can learn from each situation be it good or bad. It can get frustrating when you see something which should appears to be whole 30 complaint but isn’t.

Bonnie, Sorry to hear you fell foul of the pot luck. The meal plan advises to make snack mini meals, including protein, fat and vegetables as well as fruit. It can be hard as you have to plan for your protein. Perhaps some boiled eggs or deli meat (as long as it’s not Applegate sliced turkey, lol).

Tina, good luck on day 1. Which Well Fed book did you get? Both are full of amazing recipes.

I had my first Kendo session last night wearing the full armour; I’m tired and sore but feel great. Lets all have a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Good morning everyone

Have to make this short as I'm on my phone and the battery is running low.

Camping trip is going great so far. Sitting by the lake and only one other person is camped on the beach with us. It's great to go during the week when everyone else is working. Lol. Slept in this morning so I missed the sunrise. Oh well. Guess I needed the extra sleep.

Bonnie...sorry to hear about the potluck. Go by my house and pick up the book "it starts with food". It's on my desk in the guest room. It will help you a lot with what you kneed to know.

Everyone have a great day and remember

We can do this

Dawn

Archived