Starting My Whole 30 25th August

wholedlyon

Hey all,

So today I put on a pair of shorts that I haven't wore in 1.5 years because they were too tight. Not the case today. Also I reached in my pocket and found a 1 dollar bill! I thought that was pretty cool.  :)

I definitely recommend reading It Starts with Food. My wife told me about the Whole30 and I didn't really take it seriously until I started reading the book. It really helped me connect a lot of dots and provided a framework for meals throughout the day.

Bonnie - Build your 3 meals around a protein. it sounds like you are skipping your protein at some of your meals which isn't a good idea. Proteins help you feel "full" when eating which reduces the cravings for snacking between meals. The book and the resources that David posted will provide additional information about why. 

Tina Marie- Enjoy Well Fed!

Have a great day 11!

Jon

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comomegs, no quilting. You've come to far already! You CAN do this!!

I just finished a late lunch. Lettuce and roast beef roll ups, pistachios, and a peach. Just prepped my veggies to go in the oven and the ribs are already in. Sitting in the camper waiting on a storm to pass. Caught a fish this morning!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

We can do this

Dawn

Hello Day 12

I hope everyone had a great day yesterday. I felt bloated most of yesterday and luckily it passed before bed time. I ha been feeling pretty good for the past few days andto feel uncomfortable again was a surprise. I guess the Whole 30 isnt a straight road, there will be bumps along the way.

Dawn, your camping trip sounds awesome. You've taken the Whole 30 to a new level by catching your own fish, well done. You're really selling camping to me, it's something i've not done for years but like the idea of getting away from it all and adjusting to nature.

Jon, great progress so far, it's great when you can visibly see the results. Long may it continue.

Comomegs, according to the timeline we've made it through the hardest days, boundless energy from now on. Each day brings us closer to our goal. You're doing great, keep up the great work.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.

We Can Do This!

David

Good morning everyone

Having a hard time posting from my phone right now. So hope this goes through. Glad to hear everyone is doing good so far. Got a day planned with friends. Fishing, relaxing and the guys drinking beer. None for me. Just my water. Planning on grilled chicken and squash for dinner. Not sure what else.

Everyone have a great day, and....

We CAN do this

Dawn

Day 12 has been great. I'm a little tires but I woke up early today so I think it's just not getting a full nights sleep.

I've come to truly been appreciate my chickens and the eggs that they provide. It's not enough for the whole family so will still have to buy some but I appreciate their contribution.

Have a great day 12!

Jon

Hi everyone ! Bonnie - pot lucks are so hard... we have one coming up at work- actually a pizza party. I already gave a heads up to my boss so she knows I won't be partaking ...I will bring my own treat, and it is towards the end of my 30 so I think I will be able to survive!

I have it Starts with Food - read front to back and then re-read some parts. Well Fed is awesome !! LOVE it. so many good ideas - and love how she suggests what will go good with it. I LOVE jicama, didn't know that you could cook it - so that is going to be my new thing to make.. cant wait to see how I like it. there is a jicama salad (like a potato salad) and jicama fries. I will let yu know how it turns out.

I fell short on the preparing part, didn't have anything for dinner tonight that was premade. But I pulled through, roasted sweet potatoes, onions and brussel sprouts and made a T-bone steak. Last night made a zucchini frittata, that even my daughter loved, so she ate that for dinner tonight instead of steak.

Thanks for the links - I have been browsing through quite a few forums -lots going on there.

The one thing I have trouble with - are drinks... I know I will get bored with water. At this time, couldn't drink tea without sweetener, only like seltzer with Gin !! LOL I am hoping once I sugar detox - maybe I can enjoy tea plain.

Any suggestions ?

Keep up all the good work !

Tina

Hello day 13

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I had a good long sleep and feel great. I enjoy being able to spend some time making my breakfast at the weekend.

Dawn, you are strong you can do this. Enjoy your food and drink knowing that they are nourishing and improving your body and mind. Mark Sisson recently did a post about embracing the freak. Don't worry about being different, revel in it.

Jon, how many chickens do you have? It must be rewarding to grow your own food.

Tina, well fed us really good. It's just what you need when you start out the whole 30. The suggestions were a great help to me also.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

We can do this

David

Hi all-

Happy Day 13! I've been tied up with work for the past few days and having to do lots of planning, but I've managed to stay compliant the entire time!

I'm back into those weird food dreams, but that's completely in line with the timeline. I'm also feeling my appetite starting to come back and even out. I'm still sleeping well and have a great deal more energy than I did before. It's all really working!

Still having a little bit of anxiety/fear about completing the Whole30 and getting back to 'the real world' of eating. I've just been this way so long that it's tough to imagine feeling so good and being so healthy long term. I know it's possible, but the thought is almost scary! I'm happy I can finally pinpoint those feelings and work through them as we move through.

Dawn, it's so great to hear your trip is going well. I'm not much of an outdoorsy girl, but it sounds like you're having a great time!

Your all's support means the world during this. Can't believe we're almost halfway there!

Best wishes for an amazing Day 13!

Megan

hi all ... had to work today -  I had left over steak with my eggs and hash, and finally was not starving by 10:30am, maybe that helped carry me further into the morning ?   Had my first food dream last night... so very right on the fact they seem so real.  I was eating my guac w/ corn chips, and then realized what I was doing - and freaked out!   Then I woke up - wheeewww  just a dream

I have been caffeine free since 9/1 and not having coffee has not been an issue -. but today I almost licked the spoon that I used to make my grandson & daughter egg salad with.  Store bought Miracle Whip....  I soooo wanted a taste.  Have not had time to make my own mayo, but that is on the schedule for tomorrow.

This is the longest I have ever gone without consuming some sort of dairy, I hope I can be strong !!

Keep up all the good work.

Tina

Good morning everyone

Ok so I had my first FOOD dream last night. It was crazy! I couldn't get enough cinnamon rolls or candy bars to eat. I was sneaking and eating them. Then I woke up laughing. Now I know what everyone means about the dreams. So weird!

So how is everyone doing? Where is everyone? I know its a weekend, but..... I look forward to picking up my phone and checking my email and seeing a new post from someone.

I'm home from my camping trip now. Got home yesterday evening. Picked up my cookbooks at the postoffice on my way in. Started looking through one of them. Can't wait to start cooking some of those recipes. They look so good. Going to go grocery shopping today to see if I can find some of the ingredients. Can't find ghee or coconut aminos. I also really need more coconut milk. Not many stores around here carry that kind of stuff. Will have to go over the mountain to Sprouts to see if they have them. That's and hour drive one way to get there.

Tina, You can do dairy free. Stay strong. Making the mayo is easy. Just make sure the egg and lemon juice is room temp. I left mine out 2 hours before blending. Pour the oil VERY, VERY SLOWLY. It will come out great!

Megan, Don't think of ending the whole30 right now. Just stay on focus with what your doing right now. When the day gets here, you'll be fine.

David, How you doing? Thanks for recommending the WellFed books. I'm going to really enjoy them. I've only glanced over one of them so far, but already see some good recipes.

Jon, its great having chickens. We use to have about 20 of them until the coyotes got to them. Ripped right through the chicken wire and got into their pen and killed them all. We have never replaced them. Our lifestyle just doesn't allow for much more than dogs and cats. My husband thinks he's already retired. lol We're gone camping to much.

Bonnie....where are you?? it's really important to come and check in here for motivation.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

We CAN Do this

Dawn

Good morning !  Dawn it took me a little while to find the coconut aminos but finally found it.  A local organic store had it, and then I found it at a grocery store.  I miss having stir fry - so can't wait to try it. Glad the camping trip went well.  My camper broke this year so we did not get to camp this year - which made us sad... we love to camp.

I have the egg and lemon juice sitting in my processor right now !  It has been sitting for quite a while - had to do my dishes so that I could have room to groove.

Well Fed has some awesome sauces in it - that I will be making as well. Sunshine sauce looks so yummy !   Enjoy reading it !

I will let you know how the mayo turns out ... 

T

I just made the mayo !  taste just like helmans.  However - I think next time I will try my blender, my processor has 2 speeds, high and high and it was flying out of the top !!  I put some saran wrap over the pour spout, to try and minimize the damage!

Now I can have egg salad ~  it is funny how the simplest things can give you pleasure.   I have a pampered chef recipe for a tuna salad that was mayo and soy sauce - I will be trying with my new mayo and coconut aminos. 

Does anyone know of a substitute for sour cream ?   non dairy ?   Not vegan (sorry but can't stomach the vegan substitutes for dairy) maybe something coconut based ?    probably not.  

We don't have a whole foods any where in this state - wish we did - our grocery stores are somewhat limited.  I wish that Walmart would get on the bandwagon and start offering some organic items.

Ok - well I hope everyone has a great day - off to the park w/ my grandson.

T

Hello day 14

How do you guys feel about by the food dreams? Is out foods you feel you're,is sing out on? I've not had any yet, I'm sleeping really deeply and don't remember any dreams.

Megan, what is it that scares you? I see the end of the 30 days as a beginning and plan to keep going as long as I can. You've come so far already, you've done the hard part. You can do this.

Tina, dair I say it, you have the strength to keep dairy free. It's hard when others around you aren't eating the same as you but you have to remember why you're doing this. Make your why stronger than any emotions that may be deriving you to junk.

Dawn, sounds like you had a great camping trip. I'm doing good, spent the day cooking and went for a 2hr walk. I cooked the chill, BBQ beef and BBQ sauce today from well fed 2. I'm trying to do a different recipe of two each week so having the reference is great. I bought them on the kindle so can access them on my phone too.

I've been using fish sauce in place of coconut aminos as they're really expensive in the uk. At the moment it's online only for me. I don't think ghee agrees with me so I avoid it, I think you can make your own though.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

Hope everyone has a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Greetings from day 14!

It's so amazing to have made it almost halfway through the Whole30!

David, I've had a couple food dreams. In one I was chowing on a huge bowl of cereal and milk. The other I was downing a cinnamon muffin before I realized what I was doing. In both, I remember feeling extremely guilty for setting myself back and having to restart the Whole30.

I think what I'm fearing comes from my general fear of change. I've spent many years getting very comfortable with my terrible food habits and hiding behind them for comfort. I'm slowly getting better at looking to the post Whole30 as a path to a healthier, happier life.

Got out early this morning to do shopping for the week and I'm all prepped and ready to go! I'll be trying the BBQ sauce recipe from Well Fed 2 this week to try on some pulled pork...excited to see how it turns out! Anyone else trying something new this coming week?

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week and that you're ready to head into week three with all that new energy!

Megan

Hey Day 15

Megan, Im normally consumed with similar fears but this time it seems different for me. My Ego is always trying to convince me to stay with whats comfortable but i'm not happy where i am and need to change. The last 14 days have been tough but i'm feeling great too. We need to make healthy the new normal and that will take time.

Great minds think alike, my plan is to try pulled pork this week too. I was in the store last night and picked up some pork shoulder, i'm thinking of doing homemade mayo and trying coleslaw to eat with it.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day.

We Can Do This

David

Oh my goodness, it's Day 15!

I feel like I'm starting to hit my stride. There are, of course, small flashes of anxiety and doubt, but I can feel my actions starting to become habits. My appetite is back, I have tons of energy, I'm sleeping like a brick and I even enjoyed eating breakfast this morning! I'm feeling more capable of not only making it to 30 days, but also feeling like I can continue this on into the future.

Everyone here is absolutely owed some thanks. It's been so wonderful to have your support and to talk through every day with you. We're halfway there, we're going to make it!

Megan

Way to go everyone! It's day 15 and I'm starting to really fall into a routine with meals. I've found that being more intentional with my meals has helped me really be more intentional with other parts of my life- work, playing with my kids, taking time for myself. That's been pretty cool.

I've had a few experiences where I was making my kids food and out of habit almost licked the spoon of peanut butter or finished their toast. Right before it hits my mouth I've realized!! Stop!!! My kids think I'm nuts. 

I had a victory this weekend. I was able to play in a two day volleyball tournament on whole30 approved food only this weekend. Usually when I do these things I consume a huge amount of carbs from sandwiches, Gatoraide, Powerbars, cookies, etc. This weekend I had a big breakfast both days (scrambled eggs, ground beef, sweet potato, fruit),  chicken salad and nuts for mid morning protein snack, Chicken salad, sweet potatoes, fruit and a Larabar for lunch and a couple hard boiled eggs for afternoon protein snack. Usually I'm consuming all the carbs to try to keep my energy level up but this weekend I just stayed Whole30 approved and I felt great. 

My wife and I have decided to switch to a more paleo diet post Whole30. We are going to follow the Whole30 guidelines for reintroduction after we are done to learn more about how these foods are effecting our bodies. We've also talked about doing a Whole30 2 or 3 times a year. I guess we'll see how it goes. One thing I am sure of is that our relationship with food has changed a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing how this new relationship evolves.

Have a great day.

Jon 

Jon... I too almost licked the spoon, after making egg salad sandwiches this weekend !  it really is amazing how I look differently at food..... like even ketchup has added sugar, processed,.... even buying salad dressings.  whole new world out here !

I transformed a plain old pork roast that I had frozen, into a yummy indian inspired... cumin, coriander, curry and coconut milk over a bed of broccoli.  13 yr old approved.

Having trouble with drinks -  tried some tea - nope  not very smooth going down.  still need sugar. I will try it again next week - maybe my desire for sugar will have diminished by then.

How is everyone doing ?  Ya'll are half way there !!!!   So interesting how this is affecting every one,, and your relationships with your food.

We Can Do This !

T

Hello Day 16

Hope everyone had a great day yesterday. We’re half way there and we all seem to making great progress.

Jon and Tina’s experiences show that the temptation will never go away, but our resolve will only strengthen with time.

Megan, sounds like you’re doing great and getting close to that new healthy normal feeling we all want. Congratulations and keep up the amazing work. I’m also sleeping better than I have in a long time, it feels good.

Jon, well don’t on the volleyball tournament and staying compliant. It can be very difficult when undesirable foods are so easily available but you stayed strong. Well done!  It’s great you and your wife are completing this journey together.

Tina, The Indian pork dish sounds great. Through the whole 30 I’ve also been realising how amazing simple, good quality ingredients can be. I’ve also grown to love the slow cooker too.

You may want to try this for some ideas on whole 30 drinks.

http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

Wishing everyone a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Archived