Whole30 #3 starting 8/25

ShannonM816

• Moderators

Day 20

I broke my Whole30. No, I didn't have cake or ice cream or doughnuts or anything like that. What i had would, by most people's standards, be pretty healthy. But I broke my Whole30. I went to a Japanese restaurant with family to celebrate my great aunt's 94th birthday. I had some soup (not sure what kind it was), a couple of grilled shrimp, salmon, and vegetables. Which wouldn't be bad, but I think there was soy sauce in pretty much all of it. I could have called ahead and discussed what would be the best choice, but I didn't. I just went with what seemed like the best choices with what was there. I didn't have any rice. I turned down birthday cake. I got right back on track with supper tonight. But technically, I broke my Whole30. (For the record, the food was really good, but I've felt sort of foggy all afternoon and feel like my hands and face are puffy, something I don't remember happening when I had legumes after my first W30, so there may actually have been something other than soy somewhere in it, maybe some gluten or something? That's what I associate these symptoms with, from when I reintro'd bread before.)

So. Yeah. I really don't feel bad about it. An occasional soy-laden meal is really not what got me to the point I'm at right now. I don't have soy often. It and other legumes cause some digestive issues for me, so I know they're not a great choice. I'm much happier at this point that, even after I knew I had blown it, I turned down birthday cake. That is not something that would have always happened -- I can't even begin to count the number of days and weeks of bad food choices that started with one blown meal and the thought, "Well, I've already messed up today, might as well have the cake (or cookies, or whatever) :wacko:."  For now, I'm just going to keep going. I told my sister that I'd commit to not only finishing out the original 30 days with her, but to go straight into another 30 -- with the caveat that I know I'm going to be at a big antique show in a few weeks with a friend, and I have no idea what kinds of food choices there are going to be there, so I'm going to do the best I can with what I can find, and try to find out more about what's available before I go. Maybe I should move to a log in the post-Whole30 area? That's really what this plan sounds like, eat W30 until something comes up where it's either not possible to stay 100% compliant or I decide it's worth it not to. If I start a log over there, I'll post here with a link, for the one or two of you who read this. 

Shannon - I love your photos !  your meals look yummy !  You have been through so much - Good for you that you are on this journey, to get healthy! 

Are you doing this W30 by yourself ?

Oh and what are fermented carrots... ???

Good for you to decide to keep going forward. It is hard - I'm on day 11.  Don't give up - you have come so far.  You have made some changes that I can see just by your posts.  You weren't excercising - then you pulled out the walking dvd   I would say that is progress.  You know when you don't have enough veggies - then you adjust your meals .. that is progress.   You enjoy your meals without distraction... that is progress.

Take all the little victories -and march forward !!

• Moderators

Shannon - I love your photos !  your meals look yummy !  You have been through so much - Good for you that you are on this journey, to get healthy! 

Are you doing this W30 by yourself ?

Oh and what are fermented carrots... ???

Good for you to decide to keep going forward. It is hard - I'm on day 11.  Don't give up - you have come so far.  You have made some changes that I can see just by your posts.  You weren't excercising - then you pulled out the walking dvd   I would say that is progress.  You know when you don't have enough veggies - then you adjust your meals .. that is progress.   You enjoy your meals without distraction... that is progress.

Take all the little victories -and march forward !!

I live by myself, so in that sense I'm doing this by myself, since I cook for myself. But my sister, who lives in another city, is also doing one right now, so that's some support and motivation. 

Fermented vegetables in general are things like sauerkraut and kimchi. They're vegetables that have been allowed to develop good bacteria, so they have probiotic benefits. Carrots are just one vegetable you can prepare that way. I used this recipe, omitting the whey. The have a sort of vinegary, salty taste to them, but still taste like carrots and ginger. Sort of pickled tasting, I guess. 

Thanks for your kind words! I do sometimes get into all-or-nothing thinking, and when I do, I only see the mistakes I've made and forget to focus on the progress. 

• Moderators

thanks Shannon - I checked out the recipe - but it doesn't say what the brining liquid is ??    I would think vinegar but don't want to assume ?

keep posting your photos - they are an inspiration!

Tina

When you've salted the carrots and they've sat for a little while, you'll notice the liquid from the carrots will start coming out -- that's what they're referring to by brining liquid. If there wasn't enough liquid from the carrots, I've read you can mix salt and water to cover them, I'm not sure in what ratio though. But I grated mine, added the salt and ginger, and stirred them and kind of massaged the salt into them with my hands, and they produced plenty of liquid so that when I put them in the jar and packed them down tightly, I had enough to cover them. 

If you want to learn more about cultured vegetables and other fermented foods, these are the sites I've found most helpful:

Cultured Food Life, Wellness Mama, and Cultures for Health. And if you have any interest in making your own kombucha (a fermented drink), try Kombucha Kamp for detailed instructions. On all of these sites, I take the health claims with a grain of salt. I think probiotics are good for you, and in general I'm a fan of getting things from food instead of pills, but some of the claims for these foods are hard to believe, bordering on even miraculous, and I'm not making and eating them thinking I'm going to experience those results. I'm just trying to generally be healthier.

I'm honestly still a little intimidated by it all. I mean, the instructions are to cut up vegetables and then leave them out at room temperature for several days or even weeks for some of them, which goes against pretty much everything we've ever been taught about food safety. But I personally like the flavor, and I feel a bit like a mad scientist doing experiments in my kitchen, so I'll keep trying different kinds and see what happens.

• Moderators

Day 21

PhotoGrid_1410748383996.jpg

Breakfast: Ground beef, velvety butternut squash, and cocoa toasted cauliflower, all topped with a fried egg

Lunch: The Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat with the Moroccan dipping sauce (and it was pretty darn good chicken, even if I managed to burn it in places), and baba ganoush with carrots and snap peas for dipping. 

Supper: Ground beef, cocoa toasted cauliflower, velvety butternut squash, a banana and some pineapple chunks, and apple ginger kombucha

thanks for the suggestion !  My lunch is great shephards pie, w/ aspargus, but dinner will be light.  pork tenderloin and fresh veggies - I have run out of fresh veggies.  and I have an appt tonight right after work and won't be home until 8:30, and don't want to have be in place that I have to have something  vs eating a little less.  I think I will survive.

Good luck on your continued journey

• Moderators

Day 22

PhotoGrid_1410833732500.jpg

Breakfast: Egg casserole (this week it's 12 eggs, 1 lb sausage, leftover cocoa toasted cauliflower, 1 sweet potato, 1 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, and a couple of handfuls of spinach, divided into 6 servings), pineapple and strawberries, fermented ginger carrots, and coffee with coconut cream and cinnamon.

Lunch: Grilled chicken with Morrocan Dipping Sauce, carrots, celery, and snap peas with baba ganoush, and a pineapple ginger kombucha.

Supper: Sticky Dukkah Chicken, Roni's Creamy Cucumbers from Well Fed, strawberries, and red beet and cabbage sauerkraut.

• Moderators

Day 23

PhotoGrid_1410922561084.jpg

Breakfast: breakfast casserole, mayo, fermented carrots, and apple ginger kombucha

Lunch: Grilled chicken with Moroccan Dipping Sauce, cucumber salad, carrots, celery, and snap peas with baba ganoush for dipping, and strawberries

Supper: Sticky Dukkah Chicken, roasted sweet potato with mayo, pineapple ginger kombucha

• Moderators

Day 24

PhotoGrid_1411008883229.jpg

Breakfast: breakfast casserole and sauerkraut

Lunch: grilled chicken with Moroccan dipping sauce, boiled egg, cucumber salad, carrots, celery, and snap peas with baba ganoush, and strawberries

Supper: Sticky Dukkah Chicken, sweet potato, mayo, and apple ginger kombucha

Shannon ~  can I ask how do you get the links to your other posts by your signature ?

Also- I'm curious - I'm on Day 15 and the last 3 days have been kinda rough - my innards are just not happy.  I know by the time line that this is normal and everything is healing.  Did you have any troubles around this time. ?

Thanks for your thoughts

• Moderators

Shannon ~  can I ask how do you get the links to your other posts by your signature ?

Also- I'm curious - I'm on Day 15 and the last 3 days have been kinda rough - my innards are just not happy.  I know by the time line that this is normal and everything is healing.  Did you have any troubles around this time. ?

Thanks for your thoughts

To do the links in your signature, up toward the top of the page, you'll see your username with a little down arrow next to it, click that, and then Settings, and then find Signature over on the left. You'll get a page that shows your current signature, and then a box like the reply box you see on the forum (and this is also how to put links into replies on the forum, they work the same).

Type the anchor text -- the text you actually want people to see in your signature, so the first one on my signature is My Whole30 #3 food log. Once you've typed it and formatted it to the font and size you want, in another tab or browser window, find the thing you want to link to, and copy the url address of it. Then go back to the first tab or window where you're making your signature. Highlight the text you typed before, and then click on the symbol that looks like a chain link in the formatting tool bar. It will pop up a window with a space for you to paste the link the copied, and then hit enter or click OK. That creates the link.

I will say that I was using a computer at work the other day that had an old version of Internet Explorer and it wasn't letting me do links or even copy and paste in my reply box, so if you have problems with that, try either updating your browser or downloading a different browser to use, or just go try a different computer if you have access to one.

I hope that all made sense. If it doesn't, let me know, I'll try again.

As for the other, at different times throughout my W30 I've definitely had digestive issues. They have ranged from one extreme to the other :wacko: . I don't remember specifically what Day 15 was like, but they do seem to have settled down at this point.  Part of why I have kombucha and sauerkraut and other fermented foods is for the probiotics to help with that. I did try probiotic capsules at one point, but didn't notice much difference with them, although other people have found them helpful. I know there's a lot of discussion on the forum about this, with lots of suggestions about what to try. Many people swear by digestive enzymes, but I never could find any that were Whole30 compliant and ended up so overwhelmed looking at all the different types and trying to figure out what I might need, that I bought a bottle, but then only took them for a few days, because I was never really sure if I'd bought ones that were 100% compliant -- that was back during my first W30, I should probably find that bottle and see if I can figure it out now. If things are moving kind of slow, you might try magnesium supplements -- I sometimes, when I remember, take Natural Calm (the original, unflavored one -- the flavored ones have stevia, so they're out on a W30) before bed, it does seem to help me fall asleep faster, and so far, while it helps move things along, it hasn't been too much (but I don't take the maximum dose, either). If it's the opposite problem, you can take Imodium, I find that even just taking the minimum dose one time tends to help. If it continues, or if it seems extreme, you could ask in the Troubleshooting section of the forum for some advice, or consult your doctor. I really would have thought with all the veggies we eat on this plan, that we'd be getting plenty of fiber and not be having any problems. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

Day 25

PhotoGrid_1411090772249.jpg

Breakfast: breakfast casserole, cucumber salad, coffee with coconut milk and garam masala seasoning (this was actually really good -- garam masala has cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, nutmeg, cardamom, and some other spices in it, and made a nice, spicy coffee. Usually I just use cinnamon, I'm glad i tried this.)

Lunch: grilled chicken with Moroccan dipping sauce, hard boiled eggs, and carrots, celery, and snap peas with mayo for dipping.

Supper: hot dogs with mustard, roasted sweet potato with mayo and some grape kombucha

• Moderators

I just want to say that I think it's awesome how you hit a snag in your W30 and have just kept at it and moving forward rather than giving up. Congrats.

Thanks, ginsinnot. My goal is really to eat paleo/whole30 most of the time, so to me it makes sense just to keep going. I'm glad that I have done a full W30 and did my reintroductions then so I have some clue how things will affect me, so now I feel okay keeping my focus on what is, for me, my bigger issues -- the psychological/emotional aspects of food, and the addiction to sugar.

• Moderators

Haven't posted in a few days, but I'm still on track. Here's the recap for the last two days:

Day 27

PhotoGrid_1411358344309.jpg

Breakfast: breakfast casserole, fermented carrots, and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Sticky Dukkah chicken and a baked sweet potato, and some grape kombucha

Supper: grilled sirloin steak and grill zucchini and yellow squash spears

Day 28

PhotoGrid_1411358483952.jpg

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with zucchini and broccoli slaw, pineapple and banana with toasted coconut flakes

Lunch: leftover steak with raw carrots and celery and guacamole, eaten at work

Supper: soup (beef broth, broccoli slaw, and a couple of eggs), and a banana with cashew butter and cinnamon, and a prickly pear flavored Holy Kombucha.

Archived