wholedlyon's W30 Log Starting 25/08

wholedlyon

Started off yesterday and it felt pretty good.

Making that committment gave me a little boost and i didnt notice any food cravings or feel particularly hungry during the day.  I dont think i drank enough water yesterday so will need to get more into me today.

Meal 1 Lamb Donner Sausages (WF2) and Leek & Potato Soup

Meal 2 Chilli (WF2) and Sweet Potato

Meal 3 Thai Omlette (NNP) with bacon wrapped Asparagus and a banana.

Went to bed at same time as my 3 year old last night. I havent been sleeping to well lately, my daughter has an ear infection was up a lot during the night. I also struggle to settle at night when she's unwell.

I hope through the next 30 days my sleep quality improves too.

In the past, when i've started a new health kick, i've dived into a high intensity training program. This ususally works well for a few weeks and then i stop, it all seems too much for my body, one thing leads to another and i give up.

After watching Melissa's paleo fx talk, i'm going to drop the intensity. In the past i have made my diet and exercise regime a source of chronic mental stress.

I started Kendo 2 months ago and i'm loving it. What it has done is exposed a number of areas for improvement. For the next 30 days i'm going to work on mobility, posture and form to improve my Kendo.

Had a look at the Whole 30 timeline this morning, i'm defeinately in the hangover phase.

Headache, from soda withdrawl, flu like symptoms also. I'll just need to see how long the hangover lasts.

Hope everyone crushes it today.

Day 2 and the hangover/ carb flu hit me hard.

I felt like i'd been beaten up during the night, my wife assured me I hadnt but my snoring was pretty bad apparently.

Meal 2 Chilli (WF2) and Sweet Potato

Meal 3 Thai Omlette (NNP) with bacon, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and garlic.

I didnt get as much cooking done on sunday as i'd hoped so it was almost a replica of Day 1. I cooked up some more Donner Sausages, some smokey bacon wrapped chicken (Practical Paleo) and a vegetable bake to take care of most of my meals through to Friday when I food shop.

Felt pretty lethargic most of the day, which improved when i got more active. Thankfully i had a lot of on site work to do and the grogginess dissappeared when i was out and about.

Todays task is to find a stew recipe and some more recipe options for vegetables. I need to move away from the potatoes/ sweet potatoes and get more greeness into my meals.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Day 3 My body aches all over

I didnt have much of a headache yesterday but i did feel a full body ache and a general lack of energy. I still managed my 2 hours of Kendo last night and i feel great that i pushed through. Add sore feet and knees to the mix and thats my current situation.

Meal 2 Chilli (WF2) and Vegetable bake (potato, sweet potato, carrot & onion)

Meal 3 Smokey Bacon wrapped Chicken (Practical Paleo) with baked potato, strawberries and grapes

Meal 4 Cooked Ham and Banana (PWO)

Been looking at the Whoel 30 timeline and it look like the next few days will be rough, after the hangover comes the Kill all Things phase. I'm in work before anyone else so i'll need to wait till i get some company to see if im there yet.

Whatever comes, it will pass and at the other side will be a better me.

Tomorrow is food shop day so i'll need to get me meal planning hat on. This weeks meals were good but i feel i can improve a lot. I've been quite relient on Sweet potato and potatoes this week and need to change up my vegetable selection.

Day 4 Feeling Better but still not great

I was still in teh hangover phase yesterday, no hullk like rage that signalled the kill all things part of the whole 30.

You wont like me when im Hangry.

Meal 1 Lamb Donner Sausages (WF2) and Vegetable bake (potato, sweet potato, carrot & onion)

Meal 2 Smokey Bacon wrapped Chicken (Practical Paleo) and Vegetable bake (potato, sweet potato, carrot & onion)

Meal 3 Thai Omlette with baked potato & Bacon

Still feeling achy and fatigued but less so than the day before. I'm falling asleep almost immediately and having a good uninterupted sleep, however still feeling pretty tired in the morning.

Going food shopping today so need to firm up my meals for next week. I'm going to make a few meals and freeze portions and gradually build a stock of meals in the freezer. I need to try some different vegetabels this week.

Asparagus soup springs to mind, perhaps some cauliflower mash. I'll consult the recipe books today to see what looks interesting. I think i'll also need to get back into making my own mayo, that flavour kick from mayo can make veg a lot more appetitsing.

Hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend.

David

Day 5 rollover hangover

Feeling better than the day before but still a little fluey.

Perhaps it was dehydration in disguise, but i was really hungry.

M1 Bacon, Boiled Eggs and Cucumber

M2 smokey bacon wrapped chicken with baked potato

M3 chicken breast with cucumber and strawberries - afternoon snack

M4 salmon, steak and potatoes

Picked a few new recipes to try this week. Planning to do the bulk of my cooking on Sunday. My shopping list definitely had more greens in it this week. Strong to the finish cos I eat me spinach!

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Day 6 Fatigued but feeling better

Didnt feel the aches of the previous days and was pretty happy at that.

Started the day off making some Guacamole from Nom Nom Paleo recipe index. As i'm the only one it'll be featuring in a lot of my meals for the next couple of days, got to use it while its fresh.

M1 Eggs, Bacon & Fried Potatoes

M2 Turkey Burgers With Bacon and Guacamole

M3 Beef Burgers with Oven baked Potatoes

When meal planning on Friday I had a real desire for burgers. I enjoy getting my hands in there when making my own burgers.

Day 7 Cookout and afternoon hunger

Sunday was cookout day, Garlicy Stew in the slow cooker, Scotch Eggs and a Breakfast bake in the oven. Oh yeah and some more burgers.

M1 Turkey Burgers With Guacamole

M2 Bacon & Guacamole Sandwich with Scrambled eggs and fired potatoes

M3 Scotch Eggs & Banana

M4 Beef Burger & OVen Baked Potatoes

Felt really hungry after the cookout was completed, lucky i had lots of complaint food around to choose from. I'm also quite pleased my daughter was happily tucking into my potatoes at dinner time too.

There appears to be no feeding her just now. She was unwell and lost a lot of weight, now it seems her body is keen to get back to normal.

Looking forward to this week, I'll be happy if i get a little better each day.

Day 8 Emerging From the Carb Flu

The start of the second week went well. Thanks to sundays cookout, i have a fridge full of meals ready for me with minimal prep work.

All the new recipes i've trie this week have been very tasty too.

M1 Breakfast bake and a scotch egg.

M2 Turkey and Broccoli, cooked in a Olive oil, Lemon, Fish Sauce, Garlic and spices marinade.

M3 Garlicky Stew with Green beans and baked potatoes.

Still feeling pretty tired in the mornings. I wake up naturally before my alarm goes off, then i've been dozing when downstairs. I am having no problems getting to sleep and seem to have a very good quality of sleep. Am i still adjusting to the Whole 30 or am do i need to cathc up on sleep?

Have a little challenge today, we have a new graduate joining our team and were going for lunch at the canteen. I'll need to stay complaint while having no control over the foods available.

They normally have baked potatoes and a pretty good salad bar so i should be okay. If not i have some jerky in my bag and some fruit in case.

I wont cave, im just concerned by the lack of options. before starting the whole 30, i was eating a ton of crap. To be honest i wasnt enjoying it, there was no reward from wating the crap, it didnt make me feel better as it had before.

This is a strange experience for me, i've almost bored myself with junk food. Not to say cravings wont rear their ugly head at some point, i'm surprised they havent popped up yet.

We can do this!

Day 9 Feeling fine

Yesterday went well, i had a slight obstacle in a business lunch but manaed to navigate it without compromising the Whole 30.

M1 Breakfast Bake, Scotch Egg and a Banana

M2 Baked Potato and Boiled Eggs

M3 Beef Jerky and Banana (Afternoon Snack)

M4 Garlicky Stew & Oven Roast Potatoes

I played it safe with the lucnh from the canteen. The other meal options would not have been complaint. I planned ahead and brought in some jerky and fruit, which I needed in the afternoon.

Feeling like i could sleep all the time. The sleep i'm getting at night is great, thats 2 nights without any snoring complaints from my wife. Got to take the little wins.

Tried Oven roasted potatoes last night and they were a great change. i part boiled them and then threw them in teh oven tossed in some olive oil and garlic to crisp up teh outsides for 20 mins. they tasted awesome along with the garlicky beef stew from Everyday Paleo.

Looking forward to Kendo tonight, i feel like i have more energy and no knee pain compared to last week. I also got my armour and hopefully my kendogi will be delivered today so i can fully participate in the keiko.

Hope everyone has a brilliant day.

We Can Do This!

David

Day 10 went well. According to the timeline this is one of the hardest days, I didn’t feel it to be honest. I was excited about doing my first session of Kendo in full armour.

M1 Breakfast Bake & a Scotch Egg

M2 Turkey and Broccoli (cooked with olive oil, lemon juice, fish sauce, garlic and coriander) some grapes and an apple.

M3 Garlicky Stew and oven roasted potatoes.

M4 Deli Ham and 2 bananas (PWO)

I don’t normally eat after Kendo, it finishes late and I normally hit the shower and go to bed. This week, I’m assuming due to the major ramp up in intensity I felt I needed something after. I hadn’t planned a meal so opted for a quick fix of meat and fruit.

A third of the way in and I’m feeling a big difference. Here’s to the remaining 20 days.

Hope everyone ahs a great day.

We Can Do This!

David

Day 11 - Bloated but still good

As day 11 progressed i felt more and more bloated. Having seen an improvement this week i didnt like that uncomfortbale feeling i was experiencing. It passed before bedtime so i managed to get a realtively good sleep.

M1 Breakfast Bake with Scotch Egg

M2 Chilli (WF2) with Spinach

M3 Beef Burgers with Bacon, Eggs & Homemade fries.

I had guests last night around dinner time, i found myself becoming cranky and i'm putting it down to hunger. By the time they'd left i hadnt eaten in 8 hours. Bad mood aside, i had a great dinner and a good nights sleep. My wife seems a lot happier that i'm no longer snoring, the whole street is probably happier with that.

Created my meal plan for next week and adding a new dish in from WF2. I could have added more new elements but to be honest i really enjoyed this weeks food. The breakfast bake was simple and loaded with all the macros i wanted. I'm really liking the chill, the difference this time is that i'm freexing portions and spreading the batch over 2 weeks. In teh past when i made it it was chilli everyday and i think the richness became a bit too much.

I've made it through the so-called hardest days and i'm feeling really good going forward.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

We Can Do This

David

Day 12 went well, no lunchtime finish today but still managed to stay compliant.

M1 Beef burgers with bacon egg and French fries

M2 chilli and spinach

M3 steak with bacon eggs and homemade fries

Working later than normal, my wife did the food shop. Happy to report she managed to get all compliant ingredients. She also commented on the improvements she has seen since I began the whole 30.

This isn't only improving my life, but my families.

Hope everyone has a great weekend

We can do this?

Day 13 went by quickly, feeling good now and enjoying it.

M1 cabbage stir fry with bacon and scrambled eggs.

M2 lamb burgers with fried egg

M3 lamb burgers with fried egg and homemade fries

Wasn't hungry at lunch so had a smaller meal.

Sunday cookout today, BBQ beef and chilli from well fed 2

Day 14 Dissappeared, where did you go.

I did my sunday cookout, cooking chilli, BBQ beef, making a BBQ sauce and apple sauce as i couldnt get compliant ingredients. I had a good breakfast and then got busy, before i knew it, it was mid afternoon and i'd missed lunch. I was helping my wife with one of her projects and it was 8 pm before i knew it. I wasnt hungry and didnt want to have a big meal so had some BBQ beef.

M1 cabbage stir fry with bacon and scrambled eggs.

M2 Bbq Beef

Managed to get out for a walk yeserday and felt great, had a lot of energy and noticed that my shorts were a little looser than before.

At the halfway pont just now and feeling good. Long may it continue.

We Can Do This

David

Day 15

Been struggling to get up in the mornings, I get up and then doze downstairs. I feel like I’m having a great sleep but seem to be struggling in the mornings. I’m unsure whether I need to get more sleep or become more active throughout the day.

Apart from walking and Kendo, I’ve not been doing much exercise and feel I may be a little too sedentary. Just going to have to work through it.

M1 Breakfast Bake (sausage, spinach, cauliflower, eggs & coconut milk)

M2 Chilli (WF2) and Spinach

M3 BBQ Beef (WF2) and oven roasted potatoes

I’m happy that I’m incorporating more greens into my meals, the breakfast bake was a great way to sneak in some spinach. I still feel I need to cut down on the potatoes, it kind of feels like cheating. I enjoy the simplicity, I know I can make some homemade fries and my daughter will eat some too but I need to be trying more vegetable combinations.

Going to review the web and cookbooks I have for some ideas.

Feeling a little congested yesterday, and again today. Will see where this goes as I thought I’d been through the carb flu.

We can do this!

David

Day 16 went well, after dozing in the morning, my energy levels felt great throughout the day. I still have a little sniffle and I don’t know if it’s a sign or will amount to anything. Its there and I’m aware of it but its not causing any issues.

M1 Breakfast Bake

M2 BBQ Beef and Oven Roast Potatoes

M3 Chilli with Spinach

M4 Bacon and Apple

I felt a little hungry a few hours before bed so cooked up some bacon and had an apple.

My clothes are generally fitting better but I know I still have a long way to go. It’s good to be a little more comfortable in what I’m wearing. At the moment with no idea of how my weight has changed I have to go on how things fit for the time being.

I had some pork shoulder in the fridge and put in in the slow cooker last night leaving it overnight to cook. When I woke up this morning, the house smelled awesome. I woke up picked up two forks and started pulled the pork apart. It looked as good as it smelled, awesome.

Hope everyone has a great day 17

We can do this

David

Day 17 More energy in Kendo

Being in a training course all day, the work day passed quickly and it was off to kendo.

My second time in full Bogu and I felt like I had a lot of energy compared to last week.

M1 Breakfast Bake and Pulled Pork

M2 Turkey and Broccoli (oven baked in a sauce of olive oil, fish sauce, lemon juice and spices).

M3 Pulled Pork and Oven Roasted potatoes.

Unfortunately the pulled pork didn’t taste as good as it smelled when cooking. I need to refine the recipe.

Last day of work this week and I have a longer weekend. I’m looking forward to a lie in tomorrow. I’m feeling really good as we approach the end of week 3.

We Will Do This.

David

Day 18

M1 Breakfast Bake

M2 Chilli and Spinach

M3 Steak with Eggs and Homemade Fries

Day 19

M1 Steak with Eggs and fried peppers and onions

M2 Chilli

M3 Steak with Eggs and Homemade Fries

Day 20

M1 Steak and Scrambled Eggs with Fries

M2 Minute Steak

M3 Lamb Burgers with BBQ Beef and Homemade Fries

M4 Lamb Burgers

Day 21

M1 BBQ Beef and New Potatoes

M2 Lamb Burgers with Potato Salad

M3 Reubens WF2, with Pork and Awesome sauce.

M4 Lamb Burgers and Banana

Have a bit of a cold now but still feeling pretty good, in the final stretch now. Need to keep focused and make good decisions. Had plenty of opportunities to indulge over the weekend but I resisted, to be honest I never crossed my mind to stray from the Whole 30.

Changes indeed.

We Will Do This

David

Day 22

M1 Breakfast Bake

M2 Chilli and Spinach

M3 Reuben (WF2)

Day 23

M1 Breakfast Bake with BBQ Beef

M2 Garlicky Stew with Cabbage

M3 Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Homemade Fries

Now less than a week to go and feeling pretty good about the experience. My appetite has increased somewhat over the past week but that could be down to stress, been feeling a bit more stressed over the last week. I need to work on that.

We Will Do This

David

Archived