How do you use coconut aminos?

Carvy

OMG. You guys. Coconut aminos. Coconut! Aminos!  :D  :D  :D

I finally found some the other day and put them on my ground-beef-with-carrots-peppers-and-broccoli lunch and OMG. I just ate that lunch, and I am so excited. It tasted like actual soy sauce— but not cloying and plastic-y, which is sort of what I remember about the taste of actual soy sauce. And no, I have not forgotten the taste of soy sauce just since I started my Whole30 three weeks ago; I have been legume-free since 2003 (That could be a bumper sticker, maybe?). Now that I have found coconut aminos, I am interested in having the soy sauce taste experiences previously foreclosed to me, but I don't even know what kinds of foods and food combinations are improved by soy. I figured that you all would have some good suggestions, so, without further ado... 

What are your favorite Whole30-compliant recipes that use coconut aminos?

I'm also sensitive to eggs, so egg-free coconut amino recipes would be especially appreciated. 

Thank you!

My breakfast this morning provided an awesome use for coconut aminos. I'm going out of town for the long weekend, so all I had in the kitchen was a little spinach, a couple of Japanese sweet potatoes, a bit of chopped yellow onion, the leftover salmon from the can I opened yesterday, and a small avocado. I put the spinach in a bowl, diced and mircowaved the sweet potatoes in water, then threw them into a skillet with some onions and ghee. Added garlic powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. While that was cooking I mashed up the avocado and the salmon. Then I put the sweet potatoes and onions on top of the spinach (wilting!), and the salmon-avocado mix on top of the sweet potatoes, and coconut aminos on top of the whole thing. One of the best breakfasts I've had in my Whole30! 

:D

I use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, like on sushi.  One of my favorite ways to use it is in making burgers.  I'll use maybe two tablespoons in a pound of ground beef with some chili powder and lime juice.  It makes the burgers really juicy and gives them a cheesy flavor!

Check out my stir fry sauce recipe in this thread, it uses coconut aminos. I made it to taste just like my moms old recipe that had soy sauce and corn starch in it, neither of which I eat anymore.

Can I ask you (or any other Canadians) where you found it? I'm at a loss, and the nearest Whole Foods is two hours away.

Kay Kay I'm also from Ontario and can't find coconut aminos, the nearest whole foods is 3hrs in Mississauga ont for me, or 1.5 state side :(

Amazon.ca sells it...for $34 a bottle :(. I'm scouring some online shops today and will report back.

ETA -- aha! It seems that last year Health Canada ruled that the term coconut aminos is easily confused with amino acids, so they're now called "coconut sauce" here. Here's a Canadian seller! http://www.nakedcoconuts.com/product/coconut-soy-free-seasoning-sauce/#?

OMFG!!! I've used Coconut Aminos for about 6 meals so far. Didn't think to check the ingredients as its so raved about on here. But after reading the above post I just did and it has coconut syrup in it   :angry: I've only ever put about a tablespoon in 500gms of ground beef. 

I'm on Day 29, I would be devastated if I have screwed the whole thing up just from that   :o   :o   :o

I finally found some Organika coconut "sauce " yesterday and I love it. I did a chicken stir fry with it and the flavour of the aminos alone was enough, whereas before I would use a little sugary VH-1 stir-fry sauce. I also made the W30 BBQ sauce with it last night and just had wonderful BBQ sauce with my egg&veggie muffins. Definitely worth the $8 for me.

Archived