"Bircher Muesli"

388gigi

I'm on day 3 of my first round of whole30.

Day 1 and 3 breakfast was "bircher muesli". It was lindseed meal, pepitas, sunflower seeds, pistachios, almonds, coconut yoghurt, grated apple, raspberries and blueberries.

I've just realised that although all the ingredients I used are compliant....it may not fit the meal plan. I was going to have a boiled egg as well for extra protein but I forgot. Does breakfast HAVE to include meat? Or would the protein in the nuts from this meal suffice (I realise it's not very much protein)? If not enough protein, would adding a boiled egg work?

There is also no vegetables in this meal. Does that matter if the other 2 meals have HEAPS of vegies. Or If I have a vegie juice as a snack (using WHOLE vegetable, not extracting juice).

I can just cancel the meal from whole30 if recommended....just don't know what I'll do with the rest of my coconut yoghurt!

On a side note, My first 2 days have been awesome. I'm hoping it lasts. I have gone from eating every 2 hours to just eating 3 meals (plus a pear yesterday) and I am LESS hungry than normal. I also had a cooking class last night for work where I have to prepare food and there is always left overs. None of the food is whole30 compliant and it is the first ever work event where I haven't eaten the food (or licked a bowl or picked while preparing for it) I only ate my salad which I took to have as dinner. I work with food, so this is MAJOR!

A few little head aches, but nothing water and sleep can't fix :)

Some tough love: this muesli isn't a great choice for a Whole30 breakfast because it doesn't meet the recommended meal template of protein, vegetables and fat. It's just fruit and fat. All the seeds, nuts, and coconut are fat sources on a Whole30.  This is essentially SWYPO cereal.

Use the coconut yogurt mixed with some spices to make a nice sauce to put over chicken. 

Breakfast doesn't have to include meat, but it is recommended that you have protein and vegetables at every meal.  Here is the Whole30 shopping list, which includes examples of protein and vegetable sources (note this is not an exhaustive list).

Snacks, if needed between meals for hunger (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), are recommended to be a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

Nice work on already being at 3 meals a day, and for successfully navigating the cooking class.  :)  

now for an even tougher question: are you sure that coconut yogurt was compliant? unless you made it yourself, I expect it had a sweetener of some kind (even the "plain" ones in the store have sweetener).

A template meal of protein, vegetables and fat is the way to go. even at breakfast. 

• Moderators

You don't have to restart over the muesli. It is not a good choice, but you caught it early and I would not expect it to keep you from success over the coming days. There is a difference between a meal not meeting recommended guidelines and eating something that has known inflammatory properties.

Although a load of seeds and nuts is a serious problem for a fair number of people...

Archived