At what point do you decide it's not working ?

ragbaby

Again it's too bad that you threw in the towel for some pizza. Hope you can find the opportunity to give this another shot.

It was worth it. There was nothing compliant in the restaurant. It was great to be 'normal' and even better that it didn't hurt me at all. My diet was pretty clean before; rarely any wheat, dairy a couple of times a week. I know that if I overload on the wheat it will hurt, as would anything. I'm feeling so much better since I decided to quit. It's just great not thinking about food all the time, for me, that was not healthy.

I'm feeling so much better since I decided to quit. It's just great not thinking about food all the time, for me, that was not healthy.

You have to do what's best for you. I did a twelve-week challenge last year where I planned out every macro the night before. I had great success, lost weight, felt amazing...but I became obsessed with food and seemed to live in my kitchen. Like you said, it was not healthy. At the end I just wanted to feel normal around food. Macro counting works for some, not others. I'm loving the W30, but it's also not for everyone. And maybe it will be right for you another time, who knows.

Ragbaby - you do what is best for YOU. I am glad you are feeling better and feel in a more balanced place. Not everything works for everyone. You certainly gave it a fair shot, and it sounds like you learned something about yourself in the process, so job well done! If W30 puts you in a mentally unhealthy place, it isn't worth it. Sounds like you do just fine on your own without all the rules. I wish you the best and thanks for letting us know how things turned out!

Again it's too bad that you threw in the towel for some pizza. Hope you can find the opportunity to give this another shot.

It was worth it. There was nothing compliant in the restaurant. It was great to be 'normal' and even better that it didn't hurt me at all. My diet was pretty clean before; rarely any wheat, dairy a couple of times a week. I know that if I overload on the wheat it will hurt, as would anything. I'm feeling so much better since I decided to quit. It's just great not thinking about food all the time, for me, that was not healthy.

Good for you. I'm on Day 30 and I wish I had quit earlier.  Finishing today feels like torture and I want to cry.  I starved myself last night to avoid cooking/ living in the restrictive area.  The concept of meat right now is grossing me out.  But to quit halfway on Day 30 is not an option for me, so maybe I'll just skip dinner again tonight to avoid it.

Thanks for the responses. I was in such pain Friday night I had to drive home from my friend's at 1 o'clock in the morning - after eating loads of pistachios. Saturday I avoided any nuts all day and it was a lot better, though this morning it's bad again.

Cutting out all cruciferous veggies seems like it might be quite restricting - but I will give it a go!

Thanks again :)

Hi There, 

You also might want to include more starchy veggies in your diet as well.  I too had issues with broccoli and cauliflower.  I had to eat them along with some starchy veg. in order to assist with the digestion.  It took a couple of months but I can now eat them by themselves without much feedback. 

Good for you. I'm on Day 30 and I wish I had quit earlier.  Finishing today feels like torture and I want to cry.  I starved myself last night to avoid cooking/ living in the restrictive area.  The concept of meat right now is grossing me out.  But to quit halfway on Day 30 is not an option for me, so maybe I'll just skip dinner again tonight to avoid it.

Huge congrats for sticking it out - I'll never know if it was worth quitting on day 28 and if anything would have changed in the last 2 days but I feel better since I'm off it.

I've been eating whatever I want, which is not meat, cannot bear the idea of it. I've had too much bread which always bloats me, I've had too much sugar which makes me feel a bit loopy but my mental health is so so much better. It was not good for me thinking about food choices all the time. I feel like I've had my splurge now and I can get back to healthy eating, which will be as it was before - primal with the odd pizza every now and then. No stress, no problems in social situations.

It might be better if you try a second one. I thought about food (well the food I wasn't eating) a lot on my first one, this time I'm not really thinking much about food at all. I just think of the meals I'm going to make and make them and eat them, which is pretty much the same as pre whole 30 because I still have to cook and eat. The foods I'm not 'allowed' to eat don't really bother me because I still get to eat as much food as I want. You can still make one heck of a lot of meals with just meat, fruit and veggies.

Sorry that it didn't work out for you!

I think the key to sticking with the 30 days is having an absolute dogged determination in the beginning. Having that goal and wanting to reach that goal,so much will keep people sticking to the 30 days. I believe if you do try this again that your brain will be more prepared for what is ahead and will have time to adjust. I think you may surprise yourself in the future! Remember it is a reset button and it might have even taken you 45 days, 60 days even 90 days to get to that healing point.

I've had a week eating whatever I wanted after giving up on day 28 of the Whole 30 and I have learned that for me:
I cannot be trusted with bread, a little bit is ok but I cannot just have a little
Bread is crap anyway, it doesn't fill you up.
Pulses are fine in small doses.
Cheese is lovely
I do not like Danish pastries any more, they taste like sick
Sugar makes me feel really tired.
I feel better when I don't plan every meal, it felt obsessional when I was doing the W30 and that wasn't good for me.

So, I'm back to primal with real pizza and proper home made cake every now and then. I needed a week eating whatever I wanted, which turned out to be a lot of veg and no meat, I didn't want ready meals or takeaways though I did go out for a curry a couple of times. I'd like to lose weight but that is never going to happen with my sleep being bad - I'm off to the Dr tomorrow to see if they will give me melatonin which is supposed to be the dogs bollocks.

The W30 was worth doing for me, even though I hated it and I saw no results in feeling better or weight loss or measurements. At least I know now how I can eat to make my self feel the best I possibly can.

The W30 was worth doing for me, even though I hated it and I saw no results in feeling better or weight loss or measurements. At least I know now how I can eat to make my self feel the best I possibly can.

I'm really glad to hear this! :) Hope you continue to feel better and get the sleep problems sorted out.

Archived