Day15 - not losing weight, feeling sick

I'm on Day 15 of my Whole30 and have not noticed any change in weight (based on how I look and how my clothes fit -- no scale!). 

My reasons for this program are  1) to help reset my digestive tract/lose belly bloat and 2) clear up my skin. I feel sick and extremely (and visibly) bloated every time I eat. Before Whole30, I ate very healthily with the exception of sugar. I never went overboard and don't buy processes foods aside from rice, but I did like a dessert a couple times a week. I figured complex carbs were the culprit for #1 and sugar for #2.

I also ate a lot of legumes prior to this program. Now I'm having a harder time adjusting to meat and eggs. My body isn't used to it. I started this program the same week I began grad school, so exercise has not been too easy to factor in. I've done 2 jogs and 1 toning workout in the 14 days.

I still get bloated when I eat, literally within minutes. I'm also either not full enough or not hungry enough to finish my meal. If I do eggs in the morning, I prefer just one with lots of vegetables (tomato, greens, onion) and sometimes potato. But it's a huge leap for me and I eat a lot of fruit and almonds in the morning. My lunches have been mostly fish atop a kale and carrot salad and I've been liking the zucchini noodles for a quick "pasta" dinner with lots of veggies and chicken sausage (but usually just veggies). *NOTE -- I really, really love to cook. This part is not bad for me and I've made a couple of huge Whole30 compliant spreads for friends on this -- Roast chicken, Indian chicken with coconut cabbage, roasted poblano peppers stuffed with cocoa-marinated beef and sweet potato, steaks with avocado. I also eat clean, local meats and did so prior to Whole30.

One thing that can be hindering any success is my sleep. Because of a new school schedule, I probably sleep 5-6 hours half the time, and 7-9 the other half.

What could be attributing to the bloat? 

[Moved to Troubleshooting section.]

First off, a gentle reminder that it's the Whole30 and not the Whole15. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Nuts are the first thing that jump out to me, as they can cause bloating for folks. I'd suggest dropping them for a few days and see if your bloating abates.

Also, you need more protein at breakfast. When eggs are your protein, the recommended serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in 1 hand. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

What's "a lot of fruit"?  The recommendation is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving size is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.

I agree that sleep could most definitely be a factor in restricting weight loss. You want to get more like 8 hours nightly, more consistently.

Thanks, Chris. 

I curbed almonds and did feel a little better. But when I don't make eggs in the morning, I use almond butter in the morning with my fruit for the protein.

I would say I eat about 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Sometimes all at breakfast, and other times 1 as a snack. 

I'll try to incorporate more eggs in the morning, cut back on fruit and nuts. The meat is also really expensive for me. I have no problem eating all the veggies, though! And I do feel better energy-wise. Will keep at it. 

On a Whole30, almond butter is considered a fat, not a protein.  Take a look at the Whole30 shopping list to get an idea of other protein sources besides eggs and red meat.

2-3 servings of fruit throughout the day is ok. However, the recommendation is to have it as part of your main meals and not a snack. Also, avoid having all fruit servings at once (especially at breakfast), to avoid a sugar spike.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal containing protein, veg and fat.

• Moderators

If you are not used to eating meat/eggs, you may need to take digestive enzymes for a while until your gut develops the bacteria it needs to digest proteins and fats on its own. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Feeling/being bloated after eating can be a symptom of digestive problems.

Okay - do you eat fish?  Canned tuna and salmon are great proteins at a pretty economic price.

Try Well Fed's Waldorf Tuna Salad, or Nom Nom Paleo's Salmon cakes (she also has a great recipe for Tuna cakes)

Ground meat, or chicken thighs - pretty much go to protein for me.

Before my whole 30 ( 2 years ago now) I never ate a lot of protein either.  Eggs?  forget it!  Fish?  Hated it a good portion of my life but was just getting used to it.  I was a cereal and milk regular for breakfast, leftovers, or sandwiches for lunch, and dinner was varied.  I was low fat and high carb.  And it wasn't doing me ANY favors.  I was hungry constantly from chronically under eating (I mean come on I was very much overweight so I should be under eating, right?), lethargic, cranky, depressed, chronic inflammation, PMS consisted of 2 weeks out of every month, so yeah I was a mess.  I did not lose much during my whole 30 - only 6lbs.  But it was something.  And I felt so much better.  Within 7 months I managed to lose 35lbs between 80/20 Paleo and whole 30's.

It will come.  You just have to play around with a lot of things and figure things out - avocadoes and nuts - cause bloating and interrupt my sleep. Plus they are expensive.   I like ground meat, spinach, shredded sweet potatoes, and eggs in the morning.  I have experimented with a lot of different breakfasts and this one is my go to.

I need to eat a starchy carb once a day to keep hormones happy, even though my activity level is pretty low.  (I'm recovering from a knee injury).

First of all - sardinesforthewin, please come cook for me! Your dinners sound wonderful. Any favorite recipe links to share? :) I really hope you start seeing the results you are seeking very soon. I felt pretty poorly from days 10-24, but stuck it out (the thought of quitting was out of the question for me). On day 25 things started to really improve. So please be patient!

Carlaccini, your comment really gives me hope. With the exception of weight (which would be nice but it isn't a primary goal for me) it sounds like you struggled with a lot of the same issues I do. Thank you for the confirmation that making this my permanent lifestyle is worth trying! And that it may not happen just in 30 days!

Archived