Canned broth? (and pork rinds!)

kirdyq

I am a newbie...I am starting my very first Whole30 on September 1!  I am excited to see what is in store. 

I subscribe to an online meal planning service called 5 dinners in 1 hour.  I work full time and have two little kids, and I have to say that it has been a total lifesaver.  Anyway, they offer a Paleo plan, which up til now I have never even looked at.  I just opened it up, in anticipation of the weekly grocery haul this weekend.

THere are a few questionable items on there I wanted some advice on.  First, is it ok to use canned broths?  There are some recipes using chicken and beef broth.  What do I need to look out for when getting those?

Second, they had a meatloaf recipe that seemed to be compliant, until I read "pork rinds."  Hmmm...really?  I am thinking those are probably not ok!  And I don't know if I'd want them anyhow...lol.

Last, there was a mashed cauliflower recipe where you just mash it with sea salt and almond milk.  Am I remembering correctly that almonds are NOT legumes and so this would be ok?  I know that soy milk would not be.  If I need something "milk-like" for a recipe, is almond milk my best bet? 

I'd be concerned about the canned broths and almond milk because almost all commercial varieties have additives that aren't Whole30 compliant.

I thought I was paranoid about food labels before doing my first Whole30, but Whole30 has escalated it to a whole different level.  There are So Many Additives.  :/

Canned or boxed broths you have to be careful with.  Maybe call and ask for ingredients lists?

Almond milk I am afraid is out - unless it was homemade.  Most store bought almond milks contain carrageen - a pretty serious gut disruptor.

Pork rinds - this is a bit of grey area for me.  I see pork rinds similar to bacon.  Essentially it's fried pork skin.  So technically it would be okay. But it would greatly depend on the oil they are fried in. Soyabean oil - would be a big no.   And what the pork rinds are used for.  I would say since they are used in a meat loaf recipe they would be okay.  If you would eat pork rinds like that for a snack - I would not encourage it especially if it leads to food with no breaks.  (It depends honestly if you have a chip addiction or not)

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, pork rinds are no longer considered grey area. They are not compliant with the Whole30 program.

Silk unsweetened almond milk does not have carrageenan, but it does have "natural flavor." If you find a compliant broth you can use that for the mashed cauliflower, or you could use coconut milk if you like that coconut flavor. 

I have found that most canned or boxed broths have sugar. It is astounding me how many things have added sugar that absolutely don't need them!

• Moderators

I've done things like gone through every broth in a store and found maybe 1 out of 20 did not have sugar as an ingredient. You can find compliant broth, but it is rare.

There is at least one commercial almond milk available that is Whole30-compliant. I saw it at Whole Foods one day, but most of them include carrageenan. 

Well, shucks.  I wonder what I could use for the broths, then.  What do people usually do for this...make homemade?  I currently crockpot at least once a week and it always seems like I'm putting broth on stuff. 

I agree - it's amazing the ingredients that are in things.  Seems like corn makes it's way into most every processed item too, in some form or fashion - maltodextrin, etc.

So carageenan is one of the no-no's of almond milk then.  I'll keep that in mind.

About the pork rinds - I think that they were to be crushed up and used in place of the typical bread crumbs in the meatloaf recipe.  Everything else in the recipe was fresh veggies, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  IDK, I've never had a pork rind before, and I think I will probably keep it that way. ;)  And yes, I do love my chips.  I am a salty snack fan, more so than a sweet tooth.

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, pork rinds are not compliant with the Whole30 program.

If you're a salty snack fan, stay away from pork rinds! I only discovered them last month and I kind of wish I hadn't...

You could easily make your own stock (broth) in your slow cooker - just save the bones from a roast, chuck in some vege, herbs and water and let it go all day.

Almond milk is easy to make too, but not worth the effort of you only want it for a recipe - just use your stock instead.

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, pork rinds are not compliant with the Whole30 program.

Thanks for the suggestion of making it in a crock pot.  Sure wish I wouldn't have given our dog that big roast bone the other night, now!!  Haha!

Back in late spring we had bought a 1/4 cow from a local farmer and had it butchered locally.  I can totally tell the difference in the taste of the meat, by the way!  I think that there may be a couple stew bones that came along with that.  Waaaaay down in the deep freezer...up til now I didn't know what I'd do with them.  I'll have to check that out and maybe make up a big batch this weekend. 

Is there anything else like broth would be really handy to keep on hand as a staple?  I am picturing maybe I need to go out and find some ghee or something.  I already have a big jar of coconut oil, and I always use that or olive oil to cook things on the stove, so I think I"m set there...

I am excited to try making mayo...I hope I can get that to work out.  I bought some light olive oil b/c I heard that is better to use than evoo when making it.

I use Imagine free range chicken broth. Check the ingredients in your area because sometimes they change ingredients in different parts of the country. I have never found a compliant vegetable or beef broth, for those I make my own.  I thought I saw a post that Imagine has a bone broth. I don't know if this is true or if it is compliant. Good Luck!

If you have the patience (or an extra crock pot) to have it occupied for an entire week you can get a lot of stock from a single whole chicken. First throw the chicken in there with whatever herbs and veggies you like. I did my last one with a cut up onion on the bottom and just sprinkled it with rosemary and garlic powder. Cook that on low for 8 hours and then let it cool. Pick off all the meat and leave the bones, juice, and skin in the crock pot. Top the crock pot with cold filtered water and add a tbs of raw apple cider vinegar and let it go on low for 24 hours. Use a mesh sieve and a ladle to get as much broth out as you can. Top off with water again and add apple cider vinegar again and repeat. You can do this for a full week until the bones are mushy. Cool the broth and then freeze it in 1 cup servings or in ice cube trays. You'll have broth for a long time from just one chicken! Plus it makes your house smell amazing. If you use it regularly keep some in a mason jar in your fridge. I find that if I put a canning lid on it when it is still hot it will kind of self seal and stays good for a surprisingly long time. 

Physibeth - wow, that would be a great way to get stocked up on it! And yeah, it WOULD make the house smell great!  Maybe we need to have a whole chicken for dinner one night this weekend to get the process started...

Do you add new veggies and spices in an any point? 

Physibeth - wow, that would be a great way to get stocked up on it! And yeah, it WOULD make the house smell great!  Maybe we need to have a whole chicken for dinner one night this weekend to get the process started...

Do you add new veggies and spices in an any point? 

I personally don't. You could look around the internet for ideas if you wanted to. I kind of like mine straight up. You could have the whole chicken for dinner one night or you could bag up the chicken and freeze it to use in meals that call for shredded chicken which is what I do. When you cook it in the crockpot it will just fall off the bones.

I make all my own broths/sauces/condiments etc so I know exactly what goes in them :) 

Bone broth I make using soup & marrow bones, a couple of carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf & garlic. Cover it all up with water then sprinkle with Apple Cider Vinegar. It helps to draw out all the yummy nutrients! I leave for 24 hours in the slow cooker, then pour through a sieve into a pot. I let the fat settle on top, then skim it out.

Sonia 

Costco has a Kirkland organic chicken broth that is compliant--at least my Costco does.  I still read all the labels.  Everyone was raving about the avocado oil at Costco a few months back, but my store carries a different brand and it's terrible. 

It may take you a little while to build up a "stock of stocks", but it's well worth it.  I save all the ends of my carrots, celery, and onions.  I keep a zip lock bag of them in the freezer and just add to it as I use stuff.  Then when I have enough, I put a big pot of water on the stove, put my vegetable steamer in the bottom (makes it easier to fish out the big pieces when you're done) and dump the veggies in.  I simmer for a couple of hours, enough to reduce at least by half, then I remove the steamer basket, strain the rest and pour into ice cube trays, freeze, and store in zip locks.  Just be careful which veggies you use.  Cruciferous ones like broccoli don't do well.  The stock has a weird and bitter taste.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this, I'm new too!  Day 18!  Bone broth, I see it everywhere but I'm not sure I understand what it's for.  I see people drinking it, I see people who are sick are saying they need their bone broth.  Is it just to cook with, soup?  I'm confused.

• Administrators

Hi LettyCCC, check this:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/16/bone-broth-benefits.aspx

Bone broth is an amazing health supplement with SO many benefits that is simple to make, tastes amazing, is very versatile and is extremely comforting in this crappy winter weather.

• 1 year later...

The "Pacific" brand offers clean-ingredient broths and is easy to find.  One thing to be wary of is terms like "natural flavor" which can mean all sorts of weird things.  See: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

"Galactic" makes a clean-ingredient pork rind.  (IMO though go easy on pork rinds - they're not exactly a grok-ish food it seems to me.)

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, pork rinds are are not compliant with the Whole30 program.

• Moderators

The "Pacific" brand offers clean-ingredient broths and is easy to find.  One thing to be wary of is terms like "natural flavor" which can mean all sorts of weird things.  See: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

But don't just pick up any from that brand and assume they're Whole30 compliant. They do have some that are, but they have some that aren't. I don't remember if it was sugar or something else that was in some of them, but several of theirs were not compliant.

• Moderators

But don't just pick up any from that brand and assume they're Whole30 compliant. They do have some that are, but they have some that aren't. I don't remember if it was sugar or something else that was in some of them, but several of theirs were not compliant.

Soy... some of the Pacific brand have soy... blech

Archived