Nutritional Yeast?

Anybody know if nutritional yeast is compliant? I know it has a cheesy flavor and vegetarians/vegans use it frequently, I was just thinking about eggs w/ spinach, smoked salmon and capers and like some kind of bechamel sauce, you know??? that would be a special nice breakfast on the weekend. I've never used it myself though.

I haven't started the Whole30 yet, but I've been gearing up to start Sept 1.  I've been paying close attention to labels in the meantime.  I just dumped some nutritional yeast on my pasta last night for dinner, and so I read the label.  Mine didn't have anything that would lead me to believe I couldn't use it when I do the Whole30.  Now, the pasta on the other hand... :)

It's compliant. It's my understanding that nutritional yeast is fine as long as you aren't using it as a craving substitute. I use it, but cheese isn't an issue for me. I just like it as a seasoning. I top things with it, and I like to add it to my spaghetti squash meals. 

• 2 weeks later...

Most nutritional yeast is artificially enriched with B vitamins to make up for the lack of b vitamins that vegans have because they don't eat meat.  I think it is technically compliant.  But it is worth making note that it is a food product that is artificially enriched to make up for vegans nutritional deficiencies due to diet choices.  It is the same concept as adding Iron and "vitamins" to Cinnamon Toast Crunch type cereals to make for the general lack of nutrients in the SAD (standard american diet).  I definitely wouldn't use it as a cheese substitute to try and trick your brain into thinking it's having cheese because thats like using splenda or stevia.  I'm choosing not to use it for that reason, and because it's artificially enriched.  It doesn't do cheese justice anyways!

Archived