Post-Whole30 blood test: LDL Cholesterol is high

Court

Hi there, 

I decided to get a blood test after my Whole30, and saw my LDL is high. It wasn't high in my last blood test 2 years ago.

I have a feeling I didn't eat enough vegetables during the program, and ate a little too much of the cheap cuts of meat. I have increased my vegetable intake in the last couple days, and have been switching to more fish, lean cuts, and organ meats. Think that might help?

Previously, I had been loosely following The Primal Blueprint protocol. It was working well, but many here probably know how it goes... and once you feel good, you can get lazy, which is what I did. I slipped a few times, and my health dropped, which is why I decided to try Whole30 in order to get back on track. It's very important now that I follow a health plan militantly, as I am now fighting a rheumatic arthritis that is spreading out. I am trying to find out how much I can do with diet and lifestyle before I have to succumb to medication. 

Thank you. My test results for my lipid panel are below. 

Cholesterol, Total (<200 mg/dL): 294
Triglyceride, Ser/Plas (<150 mg/dL): 62
HDL Cholesterol (>40 mg/dL): 83
LDL (Calculated) (<130 mg/dL): 199

This result is suggestive of familial hypercholesterolemia, an
inherited disorder. Additional studies, including genetic testing,
may be indicated.

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio (<5 ratio): 3.5
Non-HDL Chol, Calc (<160 mg/dL): 211

LDL/HDL Ratio (<3 ratio): 2.4 

Your triglycerides and HDL are excellent ( likely due to cutting out carbs and sugar and exercising)! As a NP, I don't usually see HDL and trigs that good with chol being 294 and elevated LDL. That being said, I think you're definitely right about choosing leaner cuts of meat and fish. You should also discuss with your doc, especially if you have a family history of heart disease or stroke. You may also talk to your doc about adding a fish oil supplement, which would help with inflammation (like that in rheum arthritis) and prevention of heart disease (4,000mg/day)!

• Moderators

Blood levels of cholesterol have little to do with how much cholesterol containing foods that you eat. Most of what is in your blood is manufactured by your liver. Doctors don't tell you that very often. I tried to get my cholesterol down to doctor approved levels with diet for years without success. You can't do it if you have familial hypercholesterimia.

I have familial hypercholesterimia and have had high cholesterol all my life. When I was 30 and not on medication, my overall cholesterol was about 210. At 55 years old and not on meds, my cholesterol was over 300. The differences in my diet between age 30 and 55 did not make my cholesterol go up 100 points. I think it was an effect of being older.

I have chosen to take meds to get my cholesterol down to about 250. I take a fenofibrate, not a statin. Statins are evil. :)

Here are a collection of links to info about cholesterol that I have appreciated in the past:

Thank you very much for the reply and advice. I did purchase fish oil, but wasn't taking that amount. I have heard of taking large doses before so I think I'll give that a shot as well. 

@Tom, Thank your for the links and the shared experience. I am always looking for homework. I have read that it's up to the body to determine the cholesterol level. What's strange is that a year ago, it was in the normal range: 

Cholesterol, Total <200 mg/dL: 199
Triglyceride, Ser/Plas <150 mg/dL: 38
HDL Cholesterol >40 mg/dL: 76
LDL (Calculated) <130 mg/dL: 115

I'll be talking to my doctor in the next day or 2, and will post what he has to say. 

Please do give us an update, Court! I kind of have the opposite issue - my cholesterol is 123 which is evidently borderline too low...which I had never heard of before! My HDL was fine (59 I believe), my LDL and triglycerides were super low (between 50 and 60, can't remember the exact numbers). Evidently low total cholesterol can indicate problems with malabsorption, anemia, or liver function and is also associated with anxiety and depression (I have issues with both of those). So I am actually hoping my cholesterol comes up a bit as a result of Whole30. Not because of dietary cholesterol intake, but through resolving whatever is causing it to be so low. My conventional medical doc, of course, thinks the lower, the better. He wasn't too interested in discussing the potential causes - so I am left wondering if I am affected by any of the above problems or if I've just mysteriously escaped genetics. Can't wait to get my numbers this year after W30!

Will do. I spoke to my father to see if he was ever diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia, but he said no and that his cholesterol levels recently were fine. I speak to my doctor today, and will post anything he says of what's to come next.

We seem to be in a weird in-between age with old and new theories on cholesterol measurements. It's confusing.  

I just spoke to my doctor over the phone. He didn't seem worried at this time. I am to go back in 3 months for another blood test and then they will determine if there is anything possible going on. He did some math and told me based on the current formula that clinics use, that I have a 1.5% risk of heart disease in the next 10 years. Up from 0.8%. So, at this time, I probably have a greater chance of dying while crossing the street. I will keep up my vegetable intake and see how it is in 3 months. If it keeps going up, then I'll start worrying. 

Your triglycerides and HDL are excellent ( likely due to cutting out carbs and sugar and exercising)! As a NP, I don't usually see HDL and trigs that good with chol being 294 and elevated LDL. That being said, I think you're definitely right about choosing leaner cuts of meat and fish. You should also discuss with your doc, especially if you have a family history of heart disease or stroke. You may also talk to your doc about adding a fish oil supplement, which would help with inflammation (like that in rheum arthritis) and prevention of heart disease (4,000mg/day)!

We read that our teeth and hearts are connected.   I have a question for you.   I've been going to the dentist every 3 months for cleaning.   I went from plaque problems to no plague at all!!  I'm so excited about this, you have no idea.    Do you think that my arteries are reflecting the same thing?

No, there is no connection between plaque buildup on your teeth and plaque build up in the arteries. I'm not a dentist, but your good report card at the dentist could be a result of eating fewer sugars and carbs, which normally make a lovely home for plaque-causing bacteria to build up in your mouth.

That being said, periodontal disease (inflammation and bleeding of the gums) can provide an entry point for bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Those bacteria can cause a rare condition called bacterial endocarditis in the heart. This is why dental health is important for heart health. I think this article helps answer your question well: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/Dental-Health-and-Heart-Health_UCM_459358_Article.jsp

I find the inflammation piece significant. Inflammation in the body allows the blood vessels to become "stickier" and attract plaque build up more easily. That's why I find lowering inflammation to be so important in preventing heart disease, and why I recommend fish oil to many of my patients. Exercise, diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and of course not smoking also helps lower the body's levels of inflammation.

No, there is no connection between plaque buildup on your teeth and plaque build up in the arteries. I'm not a dentist, but your good report card at the dentist could be a result of eating fewer sugars and carbs, which normally make a lovely home for plaque-causing bacteria to build up in your mouth.

That being said, periodontal disease (inflammation and bleeding of the gums) can provide an entry point for bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Those bacteria can cause a rare condition called bacterial endocarditis in the heart. This is why dental health is important for heart health. I think this article helps answer your question well: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/Dental-Health-and-Heart-Health_UCM_459358_Article.jsp

I find the inflammation piece significant. Inflammation in the body allows the blood vessels to become "stickier" and attract plaque build up more easily. That's why I find lowering inflammation to be so important in preventing heart disease, and why I recommend fish oil to many of my patients. Exercise, diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and of course not smoking also helps lower the body's levels of inflammation.

Thanks so much for your reply.  I appreciate it, Doctor Mac.

Archived