Need meal/portion advice

sondrals

I'm having a problem with being hungry between my meal 2 and 3 some days, especially those where I go to school and end up having my last meal a bit later. This is what I had for the past two days, can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything? Also, am I using enough fats? I'm using them to cook in but not necessarily adding them after cooking with the exception of olives. I tried adding avocado to some of my meals but I just couldn't stomach the texture of them

Here's what I at yesterday:

1 - 2 palm size thin cut boneless pork chops cooked in ghee, 3 cups of mixed veggies sauteed in coconut oil (sweet potato, zucchini squash, mushrooms, and yellow and orange peppers)

2 - Large taco salad, so like 1/4 head of lettuce, 1.5 palm size portions of taco meat, heaping handful of olives and a few spoonfuls of salsa

3 - Blanched green beans, baked sweet potato fries (1/2 of a medium sweet potato baked in coconut oil), and 2 Adelle's Chicken Apple Sausages

I had a banana and a small handful of nuts (raw almonds) between meal 2 and 3 because I felt like I was going to throw up if I waited any longer to eat. 

And the day before:

1- 3 fried eggs cooked in ghee,  3 cups of mixed veggies sauteed in coconut oil 

2 - 2 palm size thin cut boneless pork chops cooked in ghee, frozen veggie mix from costco 2-3 cups (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and zucchini)

3 - Palm sized portion of grilled chuck steak, 8 mushrooms sauteed in ghee, filled up the rest of the plate with boiled broccoli florets, small banana and a palm full of blueberries (the fruit I shared with my two dogs so I really only ate about half of it  :rolleyes: they love their fruit and veggies too! ) 

I eat my first meal around 6:30-6:45, second meal around 11:30 and last meal anywhere between 5:30 (non school days) to 6:30-7 (school days). Am I waiting too long between meal 2 & 3? Should I toss in a mini meal between those so I'm not starving between them? I've been trying to only have fruit with one meal a day, is it ok to have it at two? 

I've felt so good up to this point and not been hungry between meals so the hunger concerns me that either I'm not eating enough or not eating enough fats. The only thing that's changed recently is I started back to college on two days a week. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I answered part of this question in another thread advising to have a mini meal between meals 2 and 3 on those days with a 7 hour stretch. Easiest way to do that is to plan an extra large meal 2 and eat the leftovers later (if you can eat the whole thing at meal 2 then that will answer a lot of questions too).

Cooking fat usually gets left in the pan so try adding some extra. I don't love avocado but I do like some guacamole which is nice on a taco salad or burger. Have you tried making your own mayo yet? When you choose raw vegetables up the volume a lot. I usually use a whole head of lettuce when I have a meal salad like a taco salad. I seriously mix it all up in my fancy salad serving bowl and omnomnom it. My husband thinks I'm a weirdo but it keeps me full.

Remember the palm size meat portion is in 3d...so not just the length and width of your palm but the depth too. 

Making homemade mayo is one of my tasks for the long upcoming weekend, but I can definitely add in a mini meal between my meal 2 and 3. Especially since like my taco salad at lunch is usually very filling. So I can make it bigger and throw the "leftovers" in a dish to take back to work with me and eat when I get hungry and dinner isn't for a few hours. At this point I'm pretty sure my fiance' would not blink twice if he saw me packing a salad serving bowl to the table for myself to eat. He gave me a funny look the other day when I said there was "about two servings" of taco meat in the dish in the fridge, he looked at it said no, there's like 4. I just grinned and said well it's two servings for me! He's not doing whole 30 but is eating along with me at some meals so he isn't really getting the full benefit of it. (And occasionally risking his life by eating cheese in front of me, although I feel less homicidal towards him on day 18 than I did on day 3)

I will admit to being a bit "fat adverse" due to not having a gall bladder and one doctor swearing I'd never be able to eat fat without having problems. Turns out he was wrong (and I've since found a different doctor who ironically suggested i try Whole30), but I catch myself not using it a lot which is just an old habit that I need to break. 

I had veggie beef stew for breakfast and I'm not hungry yet, and probably won't be until lunch time so I really think a mini meal will help bridge that long gap that sometimes exists between meals on my busy days. 

Thanks so much for the help!

If you want to make mayo before a long weekend try this method: 

I've never had a batch fail and it is quick and tasty. I've been using avocado oil that I got a Costco and it is so good. Be careful buying avocado oil...the first one I bought wasn't light enough and it turned my mayo green and was very strong tasting!

Guest Andria

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Bethanny what do I look for when buying a 'light' avocado oil? 

Does the label say 'light' or 'light tasting"? I ran into the same problem, as you, making mayo with avocado oil that was apparently not light enough. It tasted terrible! My fave was macadamia nut oil, but 'my' Whole Foods stopped carrying it :( I found that exact video you posted when I first learned to use the immersion blender - never fail mayo!

It may have been my thread that was commented on before - I've been having issues with the length of time between meals 2 and 3 also. I have added a mini meal around 4 or 4:30. It has helped a LOT. And I truly don't feel the need to eat much at that time. A few bites are enough to calm my belly and head enough to make it to dinner (and it seems to make it easier to not overeat my dinner...which I was right on the verge of doing because I hit my door starving). Today I had some turkey tenderloin (cooked in ghee) and some slices of cucumber (I actually made 3 teeny tiny "sandwiches" with the turkey and the cucumber slices. They were so cute that I almost couldn't eat them - but I managed!

It may have been my thread that was commented on before - I've been having issues with the length of time between meals 2 and 3 also. I have added a mini meal around 4 or 4:30. It has helped a LOT. And I truly don't feel the need to eat much at that time. A few bites are enough to calm my belly and head enough to make it to dinner (and it seems to make it easier to not overeat my dinner...which I was right on the verge of doing because I hit my door starving). Today I had some turkey tenderloin (cooked in ghee) and some slices of cucumber (I actually made 3 teeny tiny "sandwiches" with the turkey and the cucumber slices. They were so cute that I almost couldn't eat them - but I managed!

I think this is what I'm needing to do, especially when I have salads for lunch. I just need a little pick me up between meals so I can make it to "dinnertime" without being totally ravenous or sick to my stomach from not eating. I have a tendency to hit a point where I'm so hungry I get sick to my stomach and then fight nausea once I do eat. I think I'll try a mini meal when I'm feeling hungry and I know dinner won't be for another couple hours instead of making myself sick. 

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Bethanny what do I look for when buying a 'light' avocado oil? 

Does the label say 'light' or 'light tasting"? I ran into the same problem, as you, making mayo with avocado oil that was apparently not light enough. It tasted terrible! My fave was macadamia nut oil, but 'my' Whole Foods stopped carrying it :( I found that exact video you posted when I first learned to use the immersion blender - never fail mayo!

I'm not sure. The brand I got at Costco is Chosen Foods and it is in a green bottle so I was a little gun shy but everyone who recommended it said it was mild and light and they were right. I've also bought spectrum brand which was in a regular glass bottle so I could see it was light. The one I bought that failed was green when I poured it and had a strong scent. I should have poured it back in the bottle and returned it. Live and learn. :)

It shocks me how much food (by volume at least) I can pack in. I am not sure about the gallbladder issue, but maybe try gradually increasing your fats in each meal to find what works for you? I eat at about 5:30am, 12-1pm (depending on the day) and usually not again until at least 6:30pm, usually closer to 7:30. Uh....I eat a lot of fat these days. :) But it works for me!

I love not having to pack food to eat every 2-3 hours now! I used to spend most of my time planning and thinking about food.

There are times when it gets to the middle of the afternoon and I want to eat something, esp on Fridays, not because I'm hungry, just because I'm a bit bored and it fills in some time and is what everyone does.

I love not having to pack food to eat every 2-3 hours now! I used to spend most of my time planning and thinking about food.

There are times when it gets to the middle of the afternoon and I want to eat something, esp on Fridays, not because I'm hungry, just because I'm a bit bored and it fills in some time and is what everyone does.

I'm on day 5 and this post took the words out of my mouth! And today is Friday and was the first day I really felt like I needed more snacks. I realise it's because my usual habbits are "oh it's Friday afternoon, time to start rewarding the last 4.5 days of good eating with a whole lot of treats",  which of course then blew out to a weekend of treats.

that's so funny, because I feel so opposite right now. I feel like I do NOTHING except for plan meals and cook right now!!  Hopefully that will even out...I'm in day 12 right now. To be fair, while I was gluten and dairy free before, I had DEFINITELY falling into a trap of lots of grab and go carbs...they just happened to be gluten free!

I have this problem on the weekends, It's like I've made it through the week so now I get goodies, eh no.  :P

I honestly do 110% better at work at not snacking regardless of what everyone else is doing. At home I'm left a bit more to my own devices and catch myself wanting to snack, and no, not because I'm hungry most the time, because I'm bored, or lonely, or annoyed, or really I can find any excuse to think I need food. But I haven't given in because I know at those times I'm really not hungry. 

that's so funny, because I feel so opposite right now. I feel like I do NOTHING except for plan meals and cook right now!!  Hopefully that will even out...I'm in day 12 right now. To be fair, while I was gluten and dairy free before, I had DEFINITELY falling into a trap of lots of grab and go carbs...they just happened to be gluten free!

I'm on day 19 and sort of feel like this, but honestly I just have a ton of meat and prepped veggies in my fridge all the time, so I tend to mix and match with what I feel like cooking. That being said, I do need to find some things that reheat well, cooking 3 times a day 7 days a week is kind of wearing me out. But my fiance pointed out that's how it was done a few decades ago, then I retorted "yes, but I wouldn't of been working and going to school on top of cooking three meals a day"  :P But I get his point, it's not impossible by any means, just can be inconvenient, especially for someone who is as impatient as I am. 

Archived