Need lunch ideas for my husband

vhewitt14

Hello all!  My husband and I are planning to start our whole 30 on Monday, September 1.  We eat well most of the time anyway, so I've got my meal plan ready to go.  My husband, on the other hand, is a very hard working landscaper here in the Florida heat. He does 50 yards a week, 10 yards a day, all by himself.  We always eat a whole 30 compliant breakfast and dinner, however, he usually stops at his favorite sandwich shop and gets a sub everyday for lunch.  I have no idea what to pack him for lunch every day.  It has to be something that he can put in a cooler and keep in his truck all day.  It has to be something that does not need to be warmed up, and something that will give him the energy he needs to do his very demanding physical job.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Also, should he be eating extra snacks for all this hard work?  Thank you!!!!

• Moderators

Chicken salad, tuna salad, salmon salad are good choices for lunch. Cold baked sweet potatoes could be added for energy/carb boost. 

He could carry canned tuna and a can opener as extra food if he got hungry. And did I mention cold baked sweet potatoes? I bake 6 sweet potatoes at a time in the oven at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours (2 hours if they are big). Then I put them in the refrigerator and eat them cold, either plain or with apple juice infused cranberries for some tart sweetness. 

You can make tuna salad a million different ways. Here is one example of my basic recipe that can be tweaked with many different ingredients. For more ideas, look through the recipe index of my recipe site.

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/11/salmon-salad-over-salad-cut-hearts-of-palm/

Guest Andria

I made a yummy, IMO, chicken salad last night on the fly: cold chicken, homemade mayo, cold cooked broccoli (I prefer mine cooked) and cold cooked cubed sweet potato and toasted pine nuts (insert any nut of choice), s&p and any other spices you might like and mix it all up. Easy peasy!

My husband is also a gardener and is just nearing the end of a whole 30. I make up a batch of scotch eggs on a Sunday night and he takes a couple of those a day. Mayo and vege sticks, such as carrots, kohlrabi and cucumber. A couple of pieces of fruit, nuts, olives and cold potatoes or sweet potatoes. If we have other leftover meat he will take that as well. His days are super busy so if he can eat it without cutlery while he's driving then he's happy. He also takes a huge bottle of water and carries this all in a large cooler bag so it can stay in the truck all day. He also has a huge breakfast, today's was four eggs and two meat patties with sweet potato, and usually a bulletproof coffee.

Thank you all for the ideas. We have eggs for breakfast every morning, and some form of potatoes nearly every night with dinner, so I was trying to find some lunch ideas without more eggs or potatoes. We also really don't like mayonnaise, homemade or otherwise, so tuna or chicken salad probably won't work for him. We'll figure out something though. Thank you again!

Archived