Ghee- making me feel yucko?

pearly1979

I am on day 18 today, and just got a jar of ghee in the mail that I ordered on Amazon, it's the pure Indian foods brand. 100% organic. I have had it prior. I put it on some potatoes, and have felt kind of sick to my stomach since dinner was over, and am I belching these huge awful burps. I have to say this is a familiar feeling, but one I did not realize was missing the last 18 days until it showed up tonight. Could it be the ghee?

My other theory is just that dinner was so good tonight I over ate, and that's what is going on. I don't feel like that is it though, I had 2.5 chicken drumsticks and two servings of small potatoes smashed down to about the size of my open hand with ghee spread on top.

Let me change my question. I have suspected a dairy allergy or sensitivity in the past. Today on day 18 I added ghee to my whole30. Is it possible there is some thing about/still in ghee that would bother a person who has had likely trouble with Greek yogurt, and possibly other things as well. Like I said the way I feel is not uncommon but has been missing since I have been doing this, which I didn't realize until I started feeling bad after dinner.

Just a thought, but maybe it sat in the delivery truck too long.  I don't order foods until the hot weather breaks.  The common truck delivery service known by all... leaves everything sit in a hot truck over the weekend and I've had too many things spoil. That could be only here, but the trucks sit outside in their yard and things like Ghee spoil.

• Moderators

Let me change my question. I have suspected a dairy allergy or sensitivity in the past. Today on day 18 I added ghee to my whole30. Is it possible there is some thing about/still in ghee that would bother a person who has had likely trouble with Greek yogurt, and possibly other things as well. Like I said the way I feel is not uncommon but has been missing since I have been doing this, which I didn't realize until I started feeling bad after dinner.

The chance of ghee triggering allergic type reactions in someone who has a moderate sensitivity to dairy is low, but cannot be ruled out. 

Have the same meal without the ghee and see how you feel :) Duck fat or goose fat are handy substitutes, if you can get them locally.

I limit how much ghee I have as I am quite sensitive to dairy, but I also find I have more of a problem with it if it's less fresh. Sometimes I can't bear the smell of it, when that happens, I throw it out and get a new jar.

Some brands are also more "oil like" than others, less non-fat substance.

This was a brand new jar and it smelled wonderful and tasted great! I am going to do some experimenting and that's a great idea to have the same meal without the ghee. I also am going to not use it for a several days and then try it again to see if I have a reaction.

I am very sensitive to dairy and noticed that when I added ghee to my diet some symptoms started up again.  So disappointing because I love the flavor but will only use it occasionally now. :(  I primarily use coconut oil and avocado oil to cook with now.

Archived