Whole30 With Friends!

louannarose

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paleo cooking from Elana's Pantry. Great meat and veggie dishes.

I made the cold cucumber noodles from the Whole30 site today. ..DELICIOUS!

How is day 1 going for everyone?

I really like Elana's website. She has some GREAT recipes. Including an amazing chocolate pecan pie (which we are NOT allowed to eat during the Whole 30).

Rolling into day two, here. I do this kind of eating a LOT, just not for 30 days straight, so I'm actually OK, mostly.  It will likely get hard for me on the weekends, when I'm 'used' to cheating. Yesterday, I found myself peeking into cabinets and the freezer and realized I was probably looking for cookies or corn chips, but of course there weren't any. What there is, however, is some home-made non-dairy chocolate Ice Cream I made over the weekend. :/  The ingredients are all perfectly within whole 30 guidelines, but Louanna is a stickler on the whole psychological thing, so no deserts for 30 days.

Work days are easier. I eat the same breakfast every day and I eat at work. Its not until the evenings where I'd normally have access to junk food.

DESERT CRAVINGS

We discovered during our first Whole 30 that the after dinner desert cravings could be really hard. Part of it was certainly the sugar, but part was also just habitual. We fought this fairly effectively by starting an after-dinner tea time. Once dinner was eaten and the kitchen clean, we put a pot of water on to boil and made non-caffeinated teas. Our current favorite is Night Night tea. Have to ask Louanna who the manufacturer is.

Also, when it comes to teas, watch out for Soy Lecithin. Its non-whole 30 and found in a number of teas. Almost all, (maybe all?) of Celestial Seasonings teas are off limits.

RECIPE SITES:

Since Juel brought it up, three sites that Louanna and I have had a number of recipes from are

Nom Nom Paleo (They have a 30 days of Whole 30 recipes section)

Elena's Pantry

The Spunky Coconut

Since the Whole 30 is stricter than straight Paleo, you have to be watchful on both Elena's and Kelly's site, but even if something falls outside the scope of the Whole 30, you can usually modify their recipes to make them compliant.

Let us know if you have or find any good sites.

Thanks!

Good morning, day 2. Woke up depressed & dreading the diet, took ginseng with breakfast, feeling better. I'm going to be running around most of the day but Whole Foods is on the list so I should be able to find compliant food there while I'm out.

Made a batch of cilantro cauliflower rice this morning, and roasted carrots, hoping to find some pork chops at WF to grill for dinner.

It is amazing the power that food sugar can have over you. 

Today's lunch:

Peach marinated chicken breast

Stir fried green beans

Steamed Brocolli

1/2 cup of olives from the salad bar

1 bottle of Lipton Pure Leaf unsweetened tea over ice.

If you're looking for something to drink other than water, I recommend the Lipton Pure Leaf unsweetened. Ingredients are:

Brewed Tea

Citric Acid

SNACKS

Also, I'm a snacker. Not sure why, but I can only go about 3 hours before I'm looking for my next meal. In those cases, I try to have a supply of nuts and/or fruit on hand. currently, I have a homemade mix of Hazelnuts, Macadamias and some cashews. All three are compliant, and the Hazelnuts and Macadamias are on the green list. I try to limit consumption of nuts to about 1/2 cup per day.

Later on, I'll grab a small salad from the salad bar before it closes and keep it at my desk or in the fridge. Then, when I start to get really hungry around 3PM, I'll eat that rather than hunting for junk food.

Day 1 went well. I cooked up a bunch of fresh veggies so that I don't have to think too much in the morning. Apparently that's not enough because I forgot to bring lunch today so I'm starving!!! I will plan better for the rest of the week. Everyone may already know this, but COSTCO has organic chicken broth that is fully compliant. I like to use it instead of water for flavoring vegetables etc. I downloaded Nom Nom's cookbook for my Kindle. I need to be creative if I am to last the full 30.

Heading in now to make some Sweet potato Fritters for breakfasts. I'll let you know how they come out.

Day one went pretty well except that the eggs for breakfast at Bethel had some cheese in it. Then later during Watchtower study I started to have a coughing spasm and had to have a hard candy to control it. (I was seated at the front of the auditorium and in the middle of a full row.) Today I'm home and all is well. I find it interesting that determination to do the Whole 30 (or as close as I possibly can) has a big impact on my appetite. Normally I'm scrounging for snacks but I'm not really thinking about it now.  I do need to think of an alternative to bring for breakfast to Bethel on Friday, French toast is on the menu with nothing else that would be compliant.

Well Nancy would be proud, I just took a (grass fed) sirloin steak that would have normally been tough and gross and "beat the snot out of it" with a meat tenderizer hammer thing, then grilled it to perfection. :) I learned that trick in her kitchen, but the victim was always chicken. Happily, it works with steak! 

Day one went pretty well except that the eggs for breakfast at Bethel had some cheese in it. Then later during Watchtower study I started to have a coughing spasm and had to have a hard candy to control it. (I was seated at the front of the auditorium and in the middle of a full row.) Today I'm home and all is well. I find it interesting that determination to do the Whole 30 (or as close as I possibly can) has a big impact on my appetite. Normally I'm scrounging for snacks but I'm not really thinking about it now.  I do need to think of an alternative to bring for breakfast to Bethel on Friday, French toast is on the menu with nothing else that would be compliant.

Its funny how the world can conspire against you in this stuff.

Louanna had to quit a Whole 30 not long ago because she got sick and had so many drugs in her system that it pretty much rendered the Whole 30 useless. And I've been famished when we've stopped in for a break out in service. You should see the friends when I order two Egg McMuffins w/out cheese, removed the bread, and just ate the eggs and ham (and the ham was questionable, i'm sure).

Its funny how the world can conspire against you in this stuff.

Louanna had to quit a Whole 30 not long ago because she got sick and had so many drugs in her system that it pretty much rendered the Whole 30 useless. And I've been famished when we've stopped in for a break out in service. You should see the friends when I order two Egg McMuffins w/out cheese, removed the bread, and just ate the eggs and ham (and the ham was questionable, i'm sure).

Rolling into Day 3, I figured I'd add a quick thought about weight loss.

Technically, on the Whole 30, you are NOT supposed to weigh yourself, but I do, and I assume others might as well. Even if you don't I want to warn you about what happens at the end.

So, I've noticed that, at least as far as my own body is concerned (and I've heard from a number of people who experience the same thing) that any time I've started a diet that is low on fast carbs, especially grains, that I will lose between 8-12 lbs the first week. I have learned that this is almost completely water weight, and it will come off fast. In fact, I weighed in on Monday at 249.5, 248.5 yesterday, and 247ish today. 

On the other hand, let me eat whatever I want for a day, and that weight will pop right back on. And this is the point: right after the diet, if you go back to eating bread, cupcakes, cookies, etc., you will likely notice a rapid weight gain. Easily several lbs the day after you start eating grains again, and several more over the course of the week if you keep on eating these things. However, this is simply water weight and will come back off as soon as you kick the grains from your diet again.

I've done the Whole 30 at least three times, already (I think this is officially my fourth) and each time, I've lost between 4-8 REAL lbs. I'd probably lose more if I didn't use nuts as my go-to food when I hit "I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse. What's in THIS cabinet?" Anyway, this means that I'm hoping to finish the 30 at about 235 lbs. But I also expect it to pop right back up to around 240 if I decide to eat poorly afterwards.

If this happens to you, don't let the rapid rebound scare you. Its perfectly normal.

I know the only way I am going to stay compliant is to prep,Prep,PREP! I cook in bulk when I have the time so that I can mix and match meals when i am in a rush. I made

Sweet potato Fritters this morning. 3 large potatoes and 4 eggs gave me 20 large fritters. 1 with a boiled egg and home-made turkey sausage provided a yummy, satisfying breakfast. Froze the rest so I am set for 2+ weeks. Tomorrow I'll know how well they defrost.

We are already on page two of posts so I'll start a new thread for week 2 so we don't have to scroll through all of this. 

The Whole30 plate doesn't show it but we are supposed to be eating about 30% fat with every meal. Avocado, olives, coconut x and/or coconut / olive oils. From my experience and other stuff I've read - be liberal with it. It will not impede weight loss.

Also, potatoes of all varieties are now on the Whole30 I found out yesterday. (except chips and fries.)

http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Esmaya and I scrolled through the whole30 Instagram thing yesterday, it was good for some laughs, perspective, motivation. 

Kept me from quitting yesterday.

Day 4, and I've had my first food dream.

Last night, I ate dinner late, and I was looking thru all of the cabinets and freezer out of habit while waiting for my mexican over cauliflower rice to heat up. Esmaya had eaten pancakes after school and had left a quarter of one just sitting there in plain site. I think these two things combined, because I dreamed that my daughter had left a flaky pastry in its box in her room, and part of the crust had flaked off, and I ate just a piece of it while thinking "its just a piece, its no big deal" while trying not to be spotted by anyone.  :ph34r:

Anyway, the link to the Instagram feed Louanna had mentioned is this:

http://instagram.com/whole30

And they happen to also have a recipes feed. Each Whole 30 compliant photo is accompanied by a recipe to make it:

http://instagram.com/whole30recipes

So you can check those out for both fortitudinal and gastronomical inspiration.

Archived