Whole30 With Friends!

louannarose

I think they have taken care of the menu, but I will check.

On another note - Is the point of sugarless coffee to learn to lke it that way? This morning I discovered that if I toss 1/2 of a Mejool date into the hot coffee that it makes it WONDERFUL! Not sweet,just softened. PLEASE tell me it's OK :-)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note - Is the point of sugarless coffee to learn to lke it that way? This morning I discovered that if I toss 1/2 of a Mejool date into the hot coffee that it makes it WONDERFUL! Not sweet,just softened. PLEASE tell me it's OK :-)

I THINK the reason is simply to eliminate the sugar and artificial sweeteners. Obviously, it doesn't hurt to adjust your taste palette to enjoy less-sweet foods, but I don't think they'd care if you dropped a date into it. That would be an interesting question for the boards.

My dad says that Thai food in the US has something like 3x the amount of sugar that the original recipes use. When he and his Thai wife bought their Thai restaurant several years back, he says the first thing they did was to remove 1/3 of the sugar from the recipes the restaurant was using, but were afraid to remove more because the US palette is so sugar-centric. An interesting side effect is that some customers no longer felt that the food tasted like 'Thai food' with the missing sugar. :)

As for the menu (and cake) most of the food is just food. If its being catered, you can make an inquiry into special diets. Most caterers will prepare a special dish for folks w/ allergies or other restrictions. If its more of a buffet, you can usually find something you can eat. If you can't eat it, pass. You'll be able to find other items. I've run into this a number of times on this diet. Its inconvenient, but not painful.

If you hear lots of people talking about how wonderful the cake is, grab a piece and throw it in the freezer and enjoy it in October. If anyone asks and you don't want to get into it, just explain that you're on a restricted diet for the next couple of weeks and can't have sugar or diary.

Yesterday was the hardest day for me so far. Worst mental state I've been in awhile. I decided to quit and eat cookies. Somehow I got out of the grocery store without cookies. I ended up eating a larabar ALT to hold me over till dinner. Cleanest thing I could find besides fruit and nuts (not eating any more nuts). But it broke rules for sure, there was brown rice syrup in it. and ?? something else, pea protein, one other thing. It was the pumpkin spice one, no chocolate, I couldn't do that to you.

After grandpa's dr. appt. I went up to Chipotle and ate. Sunflower oil is allowed:

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

so the only technicality there was rice bran oil. When I walked in there I fully intended to eat chips and drink coke with that meal, but I didn't. 

So I broke rules yesterday, but I didn't blow it, why? Because of all of you. So thanks for doing this crazy thing with me.

After I ate I felt much better - probably because grandpa's dr. appt. was successfully over - and I feel much better today - spending most of the day in the kitchen prepping food so I can be out all weekend.

So I can remind myself while I am sane, my goals here are to 1. get control of food instead of food controlling me, 2. Learn how to make this way of eating routine, 3. Learn how to fit this way of eating into my lifestyle (GO.)  I also want to reverse the autoimmunity I've got going on, and be healthier overall, more energy, etc. I know it's going to take longer than 30 days to accomplish those goals. Anyone considering a Whole60 yet?

Oh, that's right. Dates are a dried fruit, and dried fruit is not on the diet. That would be the one reason why you might not want to put dates in your coffee. Unless it absolutely doesn't dissolve and just adds a little bit of flavor. Even then, I would think that you're probably cheating? Technically?

As for what to tell people when they ask you about what you're eating or not eating, I found a post on that here somewhere but I can't find it again now. 

I decided I'm going to say something like "I'm doing a 30 day healthy eating challenge with friends, I'll eat that again in October."  or something similar. Otherwise the post had good suggestions, I'll keep looking for it.

Here's one about those who try to encourage us to eat what we shouldn't:

http://whole30.com/2013/07/with-friends-like-these/

I'll keep looking for the other one.

• Moderators

Whole30's Coffee Manifesto

And the stance on dates from the Can I Have list:

Dates: Yes

Dates are a great way to add that hint of sweetness to a sauce (like the Char Siu pork from Well Fed), or stuffed with almonds and wrapped in (compliant) bacon as a fancy-schmancy appetizer.

Tip: These little sugar bombs pack a big punch—they’re as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30. We recommend against using them as a “treat” to feed your sugar dragon.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.sfaUh8Qy.dpuf

I use coconut milk the same way you're using dates -- to take away a bit of bitterness. But another thing I found is that I prefer Starbucks' blonde roast, it's less bitter to me, and I don't need the coconut milk to make it drinkable, although I still the like it better with it. Also, sometimes a pinch of salt (very small pinch, not going for salty coffee here) will help with the bitterness. I don't know why, but it does. 

Oh, and if you want me to stay out of the conversation, just say so. I don't want to intrude, just thought those links might be helpful.

So, here we are at the half-way point and I am still pumped about this program (I vagely remember something about new converts being annoying and should be locked-up in a closet...but that was about something else ;-)) I think the key for me is that it is finite. Thank you Louanna for sticking with us, this little community is another reason why this is working so well for me.

Not much to report. I am not one to log my menues before or after I have eaten. But, I did have an interesting insight. On Friday I discovered these dried bananas at COSTCO. They are delicious and totally compliant...ingredient-wise. I did not over indulge, but after this weekend I realized I was using them to get a sugar-hit. Ahh, letter of the law - OK, spirit of the law, and what this program is meant to accomplish - not-so-much-so. Soooo, they are now in the pantry awaiting part II of this journey in October. If I eat any after this point I will consider myself as having deviated and back to Day1. This is different from the Dates in my coffee, in that the use and mental process is different. The Dates are teaching me a new strategy (like cauliflower "rice") while the bananas were reinforcing old, counterproductive behaviors (SWYPO). If anyone has a different take on this, I would welcome feedback.

Well, I was warned that there wasn't much in the way of dinner at home, so I grabbed a pre-made salad this evening from the cafeteria before heading home. I was feeling the need for an infusion of leafy greens. I get home, and what do I find, that between the kale and under the walnuts, almond slivers, dried cranberries and grilled chicken was a layer of jellied cranberry sauce! I pulled off as much as I could, but the juice was on everything. Basically a red, sugary syrup. This is the problem with buying anything 'healthy' from folks who don't really know what's healthy. :/

So, we're off to Allentown on Wednesday afternoon. Current rough plan is to take some healthy snacks (Pure Leaf iced tea, nuts and fruit) and to find a healthy place to eat for dinner.

Once we're there, find a place where we can get the same, Whole 30 compliant breakfast every day. During the day, I will probably do what I do on long service days, which is to snack a bit on nuts and fruit and iced tea. Then, it will be time to find a good dinner. I might need to add something to that, we'll see. It shouldn't be too hard to find a salad.

For dinner, we're going to take advantage of the adventure and try different places, but we'll probably stick to the restaurants that are 'healthy'. I found an interesting listing called the Happy Cow. Its a vegetarian/vegan listing, but it should be a good place to start.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/pennsylvania/allentown/

BTW, here's a page for CT: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/connecticut/

No guarantee any of them will work, but again, we can start there. Also, we should be able to ask at the hotel. They make it their business to know what's around.

The one major disappointment is that we'll be driving through Middletown, NY twice. When Lou and I were dating and she lived out that way, we used to get what I remember to be these amazing grinders at Colandrea Pizza King. I was really looking forward to trying one just to see if they are as good as I remember. I had originally planned to do my Whole 30 to end just before this trip so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but somehow it got pushed back, and now I won't get to try it. Ah, well. Next time, maybe.

Oh, and if you want me to stay out of the conversation, just say so. I don't want to intrude, just thought those links might be helpful.

Shannon, no, thank you for adding to the conversation. We are all busy, working folks, and sometimes taking the time to look up the source material simply has to wait for a free moment, so I certainly have appreciated the links.

Aithene - Canned salmon (COSTCO has a wild-caught brand), avocado, olives, and fresh tomatoes. Portable, compliant, and delicious as an emergency meal. I add a jarred salsa I get at BJ'S. Gets me through many a hectic lunch.

P.S. Don't forget your can opener :-D

Pps. Have a great time!

Aithene - Canned salmon (COSTCO has a wild-caught brand), avocado, olives, and fresh tomatoes. Portable, compliant, and delicious as an emergency meal. I add a jarred salsa I get at BJ'S. Gets me through many a hectic lunch.

P.S. Don't forget your can opener :-D

Pps. Have a great time!

That sounds really good, actually, and would fit nicely in a small container. Maybe there's still enough time to make that work.

Thanks!

Hey the test was just to get in. I've been on the 30. Just a few days before louannarose, they have een helping, me since then. My body has responded amazingly, i've been off the sugar, to my surprise not missing it atall. Been cooking and enjoying food . Only had one craving ''pizza, changed my thinking, been ok.hope your all well and enjoying the change. See you soon, will see kitty this morning after ma's blood work. Oh doc gzve me cortisone shot will take up three weeks to work, agreed should stop my work with mr so they gave me papers to resine must fill out send back,so no unemployment. See ya soon [email protected],

I really like Elana's website. She has some GREAT recipes. Including an amazing chocolate pecan pie (which we are NOT allowed to eat during the Whole 30

Paleo cooking from Elana's Pantry. Great meat and veggie dishes.

I made the cold cucumber noodles from the Whole30 site today. ..DELICIOUS!

How is day 1 going for everyone?

I love this book - I haven't dellved into it much because it arrived just before Whole 30, but the cauliflour pilaf and rice recipes are now a standard here, and the Shepherds Pie was fabulous - kept us going for a couple of days! Also the Sesame Fish Sticks - fab.

Post Whole 30 I may need to order online some of those ingredients that I'll never find here....

Home-stretch! We can do this!

I tackled a restaurant lunch last week, and I won! I decided exactly what I was going to have before I went, then searched the menu for it. Such a simple solution, yet I think this is the first time I have done that. A very different experience from perusing the entire menu to see what I was missing. Food was a non-issue, and I had a wonderful visit with my friend.

I keep having food dreams, but they are very different from previous eating programs. Usually I dream about gorging myself, but with W30 I keep dreaming that I have a tiny oops and have to start all over again. It is a relief to wake up still compliant!

Well, 10 days to go and my biggest temptation is to jump on the scale!...but I will resist :-)

Juel! Yes! The dreams of failure! I had some of those early on. I've been OK (and quite distracted with other things) lately. For me, its sometimes failure, and sometimes me cheating and scared that I'll get caught.  :o

The trip to Allentown went well for me.

In fact, I was so busy that I skipped lunch on Friday and Saturday. We packed well for snacks and emergencies, and went out of our way to find good food for dinner. In fact, the waitress at the Outback was a personal trainer, so when I told her I was on a specific diet, she asked which one (hadn't heard of it) but listened VERY careful when I said I couldn't have certain items and she made it happen. She got a good tip.

Food choices within walking distance for Breakfast were limited, however. Saturday and Sunday we ate at a Diner where we ordered meals that were compliant, asking specifically for 'no dairy', but I think they must have cooked the food in butter. Its funny to me how people don't think beyond the obvious, sometimes.  :blink: Unfortunately, when you're rushing off to class, there's no time for 'do-overs'. Also, since I'm not actually allergic, I think I'm unlikely to ever send a plate back for a slip-up like that.

At the Pandorica in Beacon, NY on the way home, I had to pass on Pecan Pie, which is just about my favorite dessert ever. That's OK. Its about that time of year to start making my own paleo Pecan Pie, and I'll eat it warm with a side of my own cold, non-dairy vanilla ice cream. That's something no one else can serve me.

Eight more days. We can do it. Then pie.

Archived