Whole30 With Friends!

louannarose

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to post this yesterday, but got busy.

So, I had a cheating Pizza dream the other night, myself. Dreamt I got home, that there was no 'good' food ready to eat, so I had to start making something. However, I was SOOO hungry that I needed something RIGHT NOW and the only thing in the fridge was cold pizza. I ate a slice to get me thru the cooking process and felt guilty the whole time.

I hate feeling guilty about dreams. That's a lot of guilt for something you haven't even done.

I'm pretty sure that the pizza was spurred on by the fact that Esmaya, who isn't on the diet AT ALL (that girl has eaten pizza, chips, popcorn and other verboten items right in front of me! She used to care, but not anymore :wacko: ) and her mother were eating gluten and dairy free pizza Monday night.

Louanna has stopped trying to live up to the letter of the law, here, but she's got other things on her mind. She'd been hiking it 40 minutes each way and spending hours each day with Grandpa in the rehab facility. Unfortunately, Grandpa went back into the hospital on Tuesday morning. He has pneumonia, is breathing really hard, and doesn't seem to be waking up. Doc says hours, maybe days. So, things around here are stressful.

Those of you who are still on this, 6 more days to claim victory. Those of you who might have strayed, you can start on Monday the 6th. I'm considering doing another one then, though I might time it to match Louanna's next attempt, which is likely to be sometime soon.

Not a coffee drinker myself, but saw this and realizing that 1. some of you love your coffee and 2. its the time of year where you can see this advertised everywhere, I figured I'd pass it along. The question is, can it be turned whole 30 compliant by replacing the maple syrup with something? Maybe Juel's medjool date idea could work.

Dairy Free Pumpkin Spice Latte

Hey, Team,

Not sure who all is still in this thing, but for all of you who still are, time to start thinking about the day AFTER the diet.

The knee jerk reaction may be to just go out and enjoy everything you feel you've been missing out on. Holding onto some self-control at this point can deliver you some INCREDIBLE returns.

I was able to find a good step-by-step write up on their recommendations, but the general gist is this: on day 31, introduce one food-type and see how you feel and keep eating compliantly for a couple more days. The on day 34, eat another non-compliant food and see how you feel for the next few days. While you're at it, keep a written record of these findings for later on. This will allow you to recognize:

1. Which individual food-types affect you the most
  2. Which sorts of feelings you get from each different food

Truth is, after having done this several times and trying to eat generally paleo for more than the past year, I have learned thru repeated experiences just how bad I can feel after a bad-food splurge. I seldom get the urge to completely stuff myself with high-carb/sugar diet, anymore.

As for me, I'm doing wheat on day 31. Burgers!  What will you do?

Enjoy!

http://whole30.com/step-one-finished/

I am still here, and going strong! Just got in from the to-do, and....NAILED IT!!! I brought 2 platters of grilled vegs, and it was the only thing I could eat. Never the less, I had a great time, visited with old friends, and stayed compliant. I am so impressed with this new way of eating that I am almost looking forward to day 31 just to see how long I can hold this. With a few modifications I could see this as a new way of eating for life. Much to think about, but thanks for inviting me.

Day 29,the penultimate day of my first W30, and I am still pumped. I have no idea what my weight change has been, but Friday I wore a pair of pants to the party that I know I could not even get into last May. I have been working on cleansing and lifestyle change all summer, and I didn't check my weight September 1st, so I won't know how much to attribute to W30. However, this matters very little to me. What this program has given me is a new direction to focus on my family's nutrition. Paying more attention to food labels,beyond the calorie count,protein, fats, and carbs, is a practice I will continue for life. However,the biggest change for us has been starting the day with vegetables. We ALWAYS had toast or grits or some kind of refined carb source. The three of us feel the difference this shift makes in our energy levels throughout the day (even though James and Jon were not on the program and I often gave them grits or whole wheat toast with their breakfast, they had no problem with the variety of non-customary foods I gave them throughout the month.)

Thank you Chris for pointing us to the "Next Steps" portion of this program. I guess if I had sprung for the book I would have known what to do, but I didn't so I didn't but now I do :-D I hope we can keep our little group together. It has been encouraging and very helpful to me, and I hope my input can be of some help others.

Day 1 post Whole 30. I got up early and made breakfast for the family. We had a family favorite, Chocolate Banana Pancakes. If it wasn't for the fact that they are PANCAKES(!) they would be completely Whole 30 compliant; eggs, banana, coconut milk, cocoa powder, coconut flour, coconut oil, salt, almond butter, vanilla. Added in a side of Louanna's homemade pork sausage, some Tazo orange tea, and breakfast was served.

Anyway, the point is, now that the Whole 30 MENTAL restrictions are off (nothing that sounds like bread, dessert, pancakes, etc), there's a whole new world of healthy yet very tasty recipes out there to delve into.

In fact, Kelly Brozyna, who published the Chocolate Banana Pancakes in her Paleo Chocolate Lover's Cookbook has a whole bunch of other pancake recipes on her website that you can try. There's there's also a Hazelnut pancakes w/ Chocolate Syrup in that book. I swapped the hazelnut flour for almond flour, and it was the most traditional tasting paleo pancakes we'd ever tried.

Maybe not into pancakes? First, what WRONG with you?!? Second, Kelly also has lots of other stuff, like cereals, muffins, hash, porridge etc.

Enjoy!

Hey Day 1.got offered a smothy declined cuz it was made with milk yougart was' T SURE I wanted to go their! So I had what I've been eating, But am real instreted in try thoses pancakes sounds yummy and satisfying like all the foods we've been eating.And my cloths too are fianly fitting the way they use to so I don't need to go out and find new ones, this has been the best experience with food change and so tasty, I do enjoy planing for the next meal and as soon as I get all the right foods I'm going to make thoses pancakes thanks for sharing. JoyceAnn good eating......

Day 1 post Whole 30. I got up early and made breakfast for the family. We had a family favorite, Chocolate Banana Pancakes. If it wasn't for the fact that they are PANCAKES(!) they would be completely Whole 30 compliant; eggs, banana, coconut milk, cocoa powder, coconut flour, coconut oil, salt, almond butter, vanilla. Added in a side of Louanna's homemade pork sausage, some Tazo orange tea, and breakfast was served.

Anyway, the point is, now that the Whole 30 MENTAL restrictions are off (nothing that sounds like bread, dessert, pancakes, etc), there's a whole new world of healthy yet very tasty recipes out there to delve into.

In fact, Kelly Brozyna, who published the Chocolate Banana Pancakes in her Paleo Chocolate Lover's Cookbook has a whole bunch of other pancake recipes on her website that you can try. There's there's also a Hazelnut pancakes w/ Chocolate Syrup in that book. I swapped the hazelnut flour for almond flour, and it was the most traditional tasting paleo pancakes we'd ever tried.

Maybe not into pancakes? First, what WRONG with you?!? Second, Kelly also has lots of other stuff, like cereals, muffins, hash, porridge etc.

Enjoy!

Just to finish off my Day 1 report, I figured I'd post here.

I had a (non-cheese)burger for lunch w/ some Coke (about 6oz) and onion rings. It was REALLY GOOD, which is kind of the point. I figured, if I'm going to do myself in, I'm going to actually make it worth it. Finished off the day w/ half of an Italian Grinder from Hometown, hold the cheese, another absolute favorite of mine. Interspersed throughout the day, I snacked on some gingersnaps that Louanna had brought into the house. Dairy free, but w/ wheat.

I didn't notice any changes right away, but by the time the meeting rolled around that evening, I noted:

1. I was pretty much exhausted.

2. I was in a negative and cranky mood.

Not that I can absolutely blame the food on this; it was a gray, wet, murky kind of fall day, after all, but I can tell you that for at least the last 20 days, i haven't been walking around this tired, except for a couple of times where I was running on low sleep. Even then, that feeling of tired is different than this.

OK. Back onto the Whole 30 until... well... in this case, Friday night. I would shoot for Saturday, but I'm going to support Todd Zurell at his booth at the Southington Apple Harvest Festival on Friday evening.

Later!

• 2 months later...

Hi, all.

So, I'm sick. Louanna is sick. Esmaya was sick. Kind of a blah month all the way around. Lots of stress and everyone taking care of everyone else. I'm SOOOO ready to get rid of all of this low feelings. I mentioned to Lou that I'm considering trying a Whole 60 next. Never gone that long. We have an assembly coming up this weekend and then a couple of 4 day weekends because of the holidays, so I figured that as far as routine goes, I'm going to start once these are over.

I've also noted that its easier for me to start one of these on a Monday, as I have 5 routine days in a row to get me in the groove before I have to deal with a less-structured weekend day.

I'm looking to start on Monday, January 5th, if anyone else wants to give a Whole 60 a shot, or just wants to try a Whole 30 again.

Any takers?

Archived