Questions and concerns

Kandii17

So. I was going to start the Whole30 Program on Sept 1st...but forgot one issue. I did not set up a meal plan and I am going grocery shopping tonight. Should I still start tomorrow or should I pick another start date? Also, how long should I prep for before starting.

Looking for any helpful advice to get this scatter brain on the ball!

Thank you!!

• Moderators

Whether you need to wait to start and how much prep you might need really depends on you and how you're used to eating/cooking.

The shopping list is here, it will give you some idea of what kinds of things you might want from the store. I'm assuming you've studied the rules and know what ingredients to watch out for in any premade sauces or condiments you buy. If you are used to cooking for yourself anyway, instead of going out to eat a lot, you'd probably be fine to shop tonight and prep and cook a few things tonight to get you through the first few days. If you never cook at all, and you have no idea how to prepare fresh vegetables and meats, you might want to do a little more planning. You probably fall somewhere in between those, so you're just going to have to decide what you're comfortable with.

I like this post from The Clothes Make the Girl as an explanation of how a weekly cookup could work, but even if you don't do that, you'll find that it's much easier to eat this way consistently if you have a variety of vegetables and meats prepped and ready to go, so that if you get home from work exhausted, you don't have to prepare a meal from scratch, or so that if you're running late one morning, you can grab something for breakfast and lunch as you're running out the door and know that you have good, healthy foods.

Even if you opt not to actually start tomorrow to give yourself time to plan more, I would make sure everything you buy at the store tonight is W30 compliant. That way, even if you haven't formally committed to it, you're at least sort of giving it a dry run, getting used to how it's going to be.

We're about to start tomorrow and tbh I don't have a meal plan! I went to a local farm shop to get local veg yesterday, also going to a supermarket to get some extra veg, seasonings, nuts and dried fruit. I already have a freezer full with Prawns, chicken fillets, beef, sausages, mince plus cupboards stocked with tinned fish (tuna, salmon and sardines) and the all- important coconut oil! I've cooked up a medium chicken (for cold meat-lunches) and made spicy tuna cakes from nom nom paleo. We've chopped veg (to have with eggs in the morning) Got some cold chicken with salad veg and some walnuts for my packed lunch and I plan on cooking the Bali garden stew with some chicken (from the first mess) for meal 3.

Guess I'm just gonna wing it!! I keep looking at websites... I LOVE food blogs and recipe books, I do love cooking which is a bonus. I made a meal template (inspired by another forum member) Listing protein, veg and fat and that does help. Hopefully when I get going I'll be ok. Even if I only get 7 meals and repeat those each week I figure that would be ok.

I have my own problem... people in my team at work are doing the great british bake off, 2 people (inc myself) have been and 4 more to go,   I'm trying to fit in at work and they don't understand paleo or food choices. I'm figuring just to do a whole 60 (although only 30 days would be "True") and just eat the baked goods!!

Opinions please...

:)

• Moderators

I have my own problem... people in my team at work are doing the great british bake off, 2 people (inc myself) have been and 4 more to go,   I'm trying to fit in at work and they don't understand paleo or food choices. I'm figuring just to do a whole 60 (although only 30 days would be "True") and just eat the baked goods!!

Opinions please...

:)

I'm not sure how the bake off works -- do you have to taste things right there in front of everyone? Or can you say something like, you know, I'm really full/not feeling well/still have a funny taste in my mouth because I just brushed my teeth (whatever works), how about I take a bit to try later? And take some, wrapped up, and either give it to someone else once you've left or take it home and toss it. If you're asked your opinion of them, talk about the smell or the appearance or what you can tell of the texture from looking (you can sometimes tell by looking that something is moist/dry/light and fluffy/dense) -- or listen to whatever everyone else says and just agree. 

Or you could be honest and say that you're starting an elimination diet because you want to determine if certain foods are causing you issues, and that it's important that for 30 days you don't have any of those foods because it would mess up the results (because that is truly what W30 is). Don't say "paleo," don't frame it as a weight loss thing, don't talk about never ever having these foods ever again, at least for now.  Say that you're having issues and want to determine if it's a food that's causing them. Say nice things about how great the food looks. Remark on the smell, if it's noticeable (assuming it smells good). Express regret that you won't be able to eat with them, but have your water/coffee/sparkling water/tea, whatever, with you, stand around and talk, if that's what everyone is doing. Join in the conversations. 

I guess if you really, really felt you had to try things, it's better to be W30 compliant with everything else every day and just have that little bit, but if it were me, I wouldn't be able to do that. I wouldn't be able to try a bite of each thing without feeling like, well, I blew today, might as well have some chocolate, or another bite, or whatever. Some people can have just one bite and be fine, I can't. Only you know if you can or not.

And it's not exactly what they were talking about here, but I think it kind of applies -- this is from ISWF: 

We'll be honest -- the Whole30 is strict. It demands a full 30 days, and requires that you radically alter your daily diet for the duration. The rules are clear, and do not allow for substitutions or exceptions. Believe us, if there were another way -- a gentler way -- to get the same degree of success, we'd put it out there. But the science and our experience show that "baby steps" and "moderation" simply aren't effective at changing your habits long-term.

Despite what you may believe, habit research shows that dramatic changes are actually easier for us to manage, both physically and psychologically.  (p. 186 of the Nook version of It Starts With Food)

It goes on to talk about how decisions are made in one part of the brain, and habits are controlled in another, and to turn behavior into habits, you have to do them consistently. When you have rules and follow them strictly, there's no real decision making, you just follow the rules, and they become habit more quickly. If you have rules, but allow exceptions, you're constantly making decisions about following or breaking the rules, and that keeps it in the decision part of the brain, so that it takes longer to form a habit. (I'm sure I haven't explained this very well. It makes sense in the book, really.) 

So, to summarize what turned into a really long post -- I don't think you should have just a bite of things, I think you'd be better off finding a way to avoid that. 

Kirlywurly - are you asking for opinions about eating baked goods and doing a whole30? Here is a little tough love. Unfortunatley that is not an option, the whole30 challege has specific things that you need to eliminate from your diet for 30 consecutive days. You can't eat non compliant foods at all during your thirty days. So if you feel you need to fit in at work then I would wait and do my whole30 after this british bake off. You can still eat as clean as possible and try some whole30 recipes but you won't feel the benefits unless you give it the full thirty days.

Another thing that you learn on the whole30 is that you can say no to food and still feel part of the group. It's hard but what you eat is nobodies business. Good Luck and I hope you win the bakeoff!

• Moderators

So. I was going to start the Whole30 Program on Sept 1st...but forgot one issue. I did not set up a meal plan and I am going grocery shopping tonight. Should I still start tomorrow or should I pick another start date? Also, how long should I prep for before starting.

Looking for any helpful advice to get this scatter brain on the ball!

Thank you!!

I've been doing this Whole30 thing since May of 2010 and have never had a meal plan. :)

• 7 months later...

"We'll be honest -- the Whole30 is strict. It demands a full 30 days, and requires that you radically alter your daily diet for the duration. The rules are clear, and do not allow for substitutions or exceptions. Believe us, if there were another way -- a gentler way -- to get the same degree of success, we'd put it out there. But the science and our experience show that "baby steps" and "moderation" simply aren't effective at changing your habits long-term."

Despite what you may believe, habit research shows that dramatic changes are actually easier for us to manage, both physically and psychologically.  (p. 186 of the Nook version of It Starts With Food)

There are some who practice with "baby steps" for a few weeks before a Whole 30.....try to sneak up on it or gently edge your way in.   As a previous W30 Manifesto said, GO.   Go Cold Turkey.   I think you can do so much pre-planning with tiny steps that you can actually talk yourself out of it before you ever begin or risk falling away after a week.   There are also manifestos about "over thinking everything" and letting fear get ahold of you.

I agree with the Moderation Manifesto.  Some simply cannot eat Larabars in moderation and they 're not supposed to be eaten for anything but an emergency as per the rules.   If you want the best results going in and going out of a Whole 30.....as we've witnessed, moderation - and those squishy goals lead to more immediate gratification that only satisfies for about 5 minutes.   The consequences still apply.  They can show up in the form of many Whole 30 restarts and re-do's.

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/moderation/

Moderation Schmoderation

In addition, the very concept of “moderation” is intangible—so fluffy as to be meaningless. Does it mean you only eat one cookie at a time, or cookies once a week, or just one bite of cookie a few times a day? The truth is, most of us haven’t take the time to map out exactly, specifically what “moderation” means to us. Even if we did, the “moderation” would probably creep when it suited our needs. (It’s easy to justify that second glass of wine when the bottle is open and you hate to waste it.)

We also like to negotiate with ourselves when we’ve set less-than-firm goals… “I’ll have two glasses tonight, but none tomorrow.” But what happens tomorrow? We are creatures of instant gratification, quickly discounting future benefits in favor of immediate payoff—which means tomorrow usually finds us justifying that one glass of wine yet again.

Habit research shows that black-and-white goals—without any room for interpretation, justification, or negotiation—are far easier to meet than squishy goals. “I will eat less sugar,” “I will exercise more,” “Everything in moderation”… all examples of squishy goals with loads of room for us to bend them to our will and desire.

“Moderation” leaves us far too much wiggle-room… and we’ll fill that room with what gratifies us today, despite the consequences tomorrow.

Archived