September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Good Morning all!

I think my body my have been taken over by some strange power......it's 0735 and I just woke up and thought "I think I'll go for a bike ride"....and hopped out of bed and am heading out the door after signing off here. :huh:   ???? lol    I had energy last night after my dinner with friends, got home after 10:30 and proceeded to tidy up the kitchen and run a load dishes.....my kitchen would stay dirty for days before W30.  I think I may have turned the corner and have that abundance of energy everyone says you get with this!

Just a quick Good Morning, just HAD to share this phenomenon!! :lol:  

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry I've been quiet too - busy few days.  

Something amazing I've experienced is that all my kids have colds and I'm around them all day and have not had even so much as a sniffle yet - I truly think my immune system is operating stronger b/c of no processed foods and sugar entering in!  It's crazy.  Who knows - I may yet get it, but they've all had it for several days and I feel totally fine.  

I still have not had that energy boost that is too come.  Hopefully soon. 

Google chatted with one of my best friends last night.  10 years ago we pledged to try vegetarianism for a month and I was a vegetarian for 7 years straight after that and she is still a vegetarian and is even vegan now.  Up till this challenge I was only eating meat 1-2xweek so it was a bit awkward explaining to her that I'm doing this.  I mean - we researched vegetarianism so thoroughly and I just didn't feel like I could explain to her how I thought this was good for me without offending her or discounting the other things we've read in the past.  It really was a bit awkward.  We didn't talk about it long, but I think she thought I was crazy.  

That pork chop recipe looks great, I'm going to try that!  JClayton - good luck with your family!  I'm sure you'll do well!!  

I can't remember if I mentioned a lady dropped off 3 or 4 dozen cookies and tarts at my house this past week - but I've managed to bring them to every potluck and get together we've been to in the last few days and lovingly hand them out to everyone's kids :)  They are gone now, thank goodness!!  It didn't help that my siblings were all raving about how amazing the tarts were.  

I was also thinking that though this is very restrictive, it doesn't feel anything like deprivation, I have felt so satisfied and thoroughly enjoyed every single meal I've eaten.  

What is FWOB?  

I do think my body is telling me I need more sleep.  I used to stay up till 1230-1am and get up at 730 or so when the kids get up and feel only a little tired through the day - but I'm wondering if without all the temporary energy boosts of sugars and grains etc my body is rebelling against that little amount of sleep. It's just so hard for me to go to bed early.  I crave that time without the kids and either by myself or with my husband and heading to bed early just feels hard to me.  But this week I'm going to make it a goal of being in bed by 11:15 every night.  oh that sounds hard.  

Are any of you not working out?  I haven't been doing anything other than daily walks with the kids or dog - but I'd like to re-add in some good yoga workouts.  If anyone hasn't been working out want to commit to doing some workouts with me this week?  Maybe like 3 between Monday and Friday?  

Avocados. I love avocados. Just cut through 3 of them and all yucky. Not over ripe but down right rotten... So much for the 5 for $5 sale. I only got to eat 1. One good one in the whole bunch. Ugh. I'm sad now.

omg, isn't that how it is with them?  if they are on sale,,, run away!  I buy hard ones and but in a paper bag, they are ripe over night, at least not rock hard

I had a taste for something creamy, like a latte, so I made my own almond milk today. I used this vanilla cinnamon almond milk recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/24/my-favourite-homemade-almond-milk-step-by-step-photos/

The almond milk is SO delicious. Better than store bought. I am going to have to hoard it or my children will drink it in an instant!

On another note, this program is messing up my traditional weekend nap schedule. I laid down to read and take a nap - couldn't fall asleep! So I made almond milk instead. This program is reminding me of how much I enjoy cooking. :-)

Hahaha daffodil!  yep, I didn't sleep-in till 0830, as you saw in my morning post!  

I thought I was turning a corner.  But now I seem to be back in a funk again.  I feel sad and hopeless and useless.  I didn't run yesterday- I slept until 11.  I can't bring myself to run today.  Even though I have another half marathon at the end of October and another one mid November.  Two more races I won't be prepared for.  I don't want to do anything.  I can tell it will be a challenge to do anything today.  I don't like feeling like this but it's very familiar.

Earlier in the W30 I felt meaner, angrier.  Now I feel deflated.  It crept in yesterday afternoon and now it's fully lodged in my brain.  I am so sick of this and was hoping the W30 would help with this.  Sigh.

I thought I was turning a corner.  But now I seem to be back in a funk again.  I feel sad and hopeless and useless.  I didn't run yesterday- I slept until 11.  I can't bring myself to run today.  Even though I have another half marathon at the end of October and another one mid November.  Two more races I won't be prepared for.  I don't want to do anything.  I can tell it will be a challenge to do anything today.  I don't like feeling like this but it's very familiar.

Earlier in the W30 I felt meaner, angrier.  Now I feel deflated.  It crept in yesterday afternoon and now it's fully lodged in my brain.  I am so sick of this and was hoping the W30 would help with this.  Sigh.

I know what you mean. The last 8 months of my life were a challenge similar to that. I know this may sound contradictory, but have you tried just letting it be "OK" for you to feel this way?  And you know, this program is  awesome, but it's not a substitute for mental health support we may need. Hang in there Kristinmarta, the 30 days aren't over yet.

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry I've been quiet too - busy few days.  

Something amazing I've experienced is that all my kids have colds and I'm around them all day and have not had even so much as a sniffle yet - I truly think my immune system is operating stronger b/c of no processed foods and sugar entering in!  It's crazy.  Who knows - I may yet get it, but they've all had it for several days and I feel totally fine.  

I still have not had that energy boost that is too come.  Hopefully soon. 

Google chatted with one of my best friends last night.  10 years ago we pledged to try vegetarianism for a month and I was a vegetarian for 7 years straight after that and she is still a vegetarian and is even vegan now.  Up till this challenge I was only eating meat 1-2xweek so it was a bit awkward explaining to her that I'm doing this.  I mean - we researched vegetarianism so thoroughly and I just didn't feel like I could explain to her how I thought this was good for me without offending her or discounting the other things we've read in the past.  It really was a bit awkward.  We didn't talk about it long, but I think she thought I was crazy.  

That pork chop recipe looks great, I'm going to try that!  JClayton - good luck with your family!  I'm sure you'll do well!!  

I can't remember if I mentioned a lady dropped off 3 or 4 dozen cookies and tarts at my house this past week - but I've managed to bring them to every potluck and get together we've been to in the last few days and lovingly hand them out to everyone's kids :)  They are gone now, thank goodness!!  It didn't help that my siblings were all raving about how amazing the tarts were.  

I was also thinking that though this is very restrictive, it doesn't feel anything like deprivation, I have felt so satisfied and thoroughly enjoyed every single meal I've eaten.  

What is FWOB?  

I do think my body is telling me I need more sleep.  I used to stay up till 1230-1am and get up at 730 or so when the kids get up and feel only a little tired through the day - but I'm wondering if without all the temporary energy boosts of sugars and grains etc my body is rebelling against that little amount of sleep. It's just so hard for me to go to bed early.  I crave that time without the kids and either by myself or with my husband and heading to bed early just feels hard to me.  But this week I'm going to make it a goal of being in bed by 11:15 every night.  oh that sounds hard.  

Are any of you not working out?  I haven't been doing anything other than daily walks with the kids or dog - but I'd like to re-add in some good yoga workouts.  If anyone hasn't been working out want to commit to doing some workouts with me this week?  Maybe like 3 between Monday and Friday?  

I haven't been exercising regularly, was hesitant about what foods to eat PWO, even though it's spelled out clearly. I wasn't sure of what protein would sit right in my gut before a work out.  I had a hard boiled egg, almonds, and 1/2 an avo. before biking this a.m.  felt fine. My digestion has improved 100%, seriously, since I started.  I'm not quite ready to commit to a work out schedule..yes, I'm easily overwhelmed! :wacko:   But I'm interested in hearing what foods you find are good for fueling your work outs, and what your energy level is like, etc. Good Luck!! 

kristinmarta - I find that my symptoms are lasting much longer than the timeline - So I had many more days of "kill all the things" then it said, and then I had many more days of "I just want to nap" then it said.  Then I had a few days where I started the morning with energy and filling good, wanting to 'kill all the things' by afternoon and dead dog tired by the evening.  I have wondered if some of us who have needed a re-boot or detox more than others will find those days to last longer?  I have no idea if that's true, but I know my system was an emotional/physical mess before starting this and I'm okay with it taking longer to balance out.  I am doing a whole 60 for that reason - i just think I really really need to give my body time to reboot.  

I hope you feel better soon, be easy with yourself and accept your emotions as they are.  

I hope everyone is doing well as we close another week. This Whole30 has been a breeze for me except for one issue...loose stool and diarrhea. My previous Whole30s I experienced primarily bloating, but I guess reintroducing a high volume of veggies after relaxing my diet this summer is the main source of the issue.

One thing I am sick of are salads. I am going to make a conscious effort to make alternative meals for lunch because eating salads every day does not appeal to me.

I made Chocolate Chili from Well Fed today to eat for lunch the next few days, and I am going to try to additional recipes from the other various cookbooks I purchased to keep it interesting.

I watched Fed Up last Sunday. It is so sad. How people think wheat thins are health food and that one mom who cried giving up her chocolate to save her son's life. I also never knew that there were schools with fast food resteraunts in them. Thank goodness none around here do.

Yesterday I went to a "celebration of life" ceremony for our neighbor. It was supposed to be her wedding day and it was so sad. After the ceremony they brought out trays and trays of Italian frosted ricotta cookies from THE best bakery in town. I wanted to drown my sorrow in those sweet frosted treats. But I didn't. And I'm glad. I know that I'm not ready. I would have had a whole 30 cookies, because one is never enough.

I wasn't able to cook much last week and was getting sick of choices. I cooked up some great soup and stews today and feel refreshed and ready to charge on.

I'm coming down with a sore throat. I'm used to popping Ludens or Sucrets when this happens but suspect they're loaded with sugar. Got any cold remedy ideas?

Kristinmarta, pulling out of depression is hard work, I know that personally. I hope that you can use the hate for feeling this way as fuel to keep fighting for change. I know it's easier said than done. I'm a worrier and want to make sure that you are safe. Please promise us, your team and support group, that you will get help if the emotional pain gets to be too much. You and each member of this group, the ones who are posting and the ones that are just reading, are important. You matter. We are all connected on this journey. I wish you growing peace as you continue forward.

just a quick note at the end of the day, as my teen wants her laptop back! 

I went to the sports bar I always go to for Sun. Football, ordered compliant food, wasn't too bothered being around all the other foods.....deep fried this and that.  I must say, I felt good not drinking also.  No "touch down" shots for this lady! 

on to day 15 everybody!   well wishes

Second week of Whole 30 and I am trying to stick with it. The last few days I have felt kind of weak, light-headed, and shaky. I am wondering if I am just not eating enough food. I went grocery shopping today and am going to try to increase the amount of food I eat- especially the protein and fat, and see if that helps. I have had a busy few days and I am on call for two moms who could go into labor any day now. Being a doula and a midwife assistant does make this whole thing a little tricky. When I leave for a birth, I never know how long I will be gone for. Sometimes I am assisting a mom at the hospital and the cafeteria has some pretty decent choices but sometimes they are delivering at home and then my choices are limited to what I can bring. Still trying to work out a plan on foods to have ready. The last birth I went to I had grabbed my bag of pitted dates, a couple of hard boiled eggs, and some almonds. This was the third birth I had attended with this mom and I knew she had a history of quick deliveries. Thankfully, this one was also pretty fast and I wasn't gone too long. Not sure what I would have done if it would have been longer though. 

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the kind words.  I see a therapist regularly.  I am familiar with my symptoms and when things are bad, I tend to mostly sleep a lot.  That's what happened today.  I was on the couch, asleep on an off until 3.  Then I took a shower.  Then I got into bed.  I slept for another 45 minutes.  And then went grocery shopping.  I am counting it a big success that I left the house.  At least I have food for this week.  I am just sick of this being a thing.  

I spent all day in the kitchen today! Beef roast with carrots and onions in 1 crockpot, carnitas in another, and chocolate chili on the stove!! Also made a batch of homemade mayo and then some tuna salad. Busy girl but I'm set to eat all week and then some!! I am one tired girl!!

For those of you wondering, we had a great time at my parents' house last night. Scott and baby Hazel bonded, Hazel could not stop smiling at him! It was adorable! Scott's girls are 13 and 11 and my son is almost 12 yet tonight we couldn't stop talking about whether or not we should have one together... It would definitely be starting over for us! Oh and I took roasted brussel sprouts with onions and they were a hit! Yay! Compliant all the way!

Rkzryda (I'm not even going back to look at the spelling - what's your name so I don't have to type that? :) ).  First of all, I'm sorry for your loss of your neighbour, that is so horribly sad :(  

Also to fight off a cold - lots of chopped up garlic swallowed raw like little pills.  It will knock it out VERY fast!!  Try to have at least 3-4 cloves in a day.  Yes you will stink, but you will feel better very fast.  Garlic is anti-viral and anit-bacterial and it works like a charm!  Also if you can add some sodium ascorbate (vit c with no sugar added) to some water with lemon or lime that would also help.  And if you use essential oils - oil of oregano on your feet before bed will also help.  

Jclayton - so glad the time with family went well.  Keep us posted about the baby urges :)  

We are watching 'Fed Up' tonight.  It is very inspiring to keep at the Whole 30 that is FOR SURE!!!  Great documentary!

Thanks! I will try the garlic!

Hahaha! And I don't blame you for not wanting to spell my horrible Polish name out! My best friend still struggles with it 13 years later. Lol. My name is Becky. I don't think I knew what I was doing when I originally set up my username :-)

• Administrators

Thanks! I will try the garlic!

Hahaha! And I don't blame you for not wanting to spell my horrible Polish name out! My best friend still struggles with it 13 years later. Lol. My name is Becky. I don't think I knew what I was doing when I originally set up my username :-)

Just wanted to let you know that I saw in "Settings" that you can actually change your username up to 3 times....I can't remember exactly where it is but if you click on your name up the top bar and it's somewhere in your profile. ;)

Finally getting a chance to post something after the weekend. So good to read everyone's posts and hear about their weekends and sticking to the plan. We had a end of the year potluck for my daughter's softball team last night and hopefully managed the food choices ok. I had a burger (minus the bun and cheese) topped with onions and salsa, a huge helping of carrot sticks, and half of a brat. Passed up the pumpkin cheesecake, ice cream cake, chips, cookies, pasta salads, and caesar salad (figured I didn't know if the dressing would be compliant or not). The ice cream cake looked so good!! I don't handle dairy well even when I'm not on whole 30, so at least that was a good reason for me not to indulge. 

Does anyone else watch the Blacklist?  So excited for the episode tonight. LOVE that show. 

I can't remember who put out the challenge to exercise 3 times this week, but I'll be onboard for that. I did exercise the first week, and then I let that slip last week in favor of sleep.  :)  Got up this morning and did my workout - one time done for me!

Have a great week everyone - day 15 and we're halfway done!! 

Second week of Whole 30 and I am trying to stick with it. The last few days I have felt kind of weak, light-headed, and shaky. I am wondering if I am just not eating enough food. I went grocery shopping today and am going to try to increase the amount of food I eat- especially the protein and fat, and see if that helps. I have had a busy few days and I am on call for two moms who could go into labor any day now. Being a doula and a midwife assistant does make this whole thing a little tricky. When I leave for a birth, I never know how long I will be gone for. Sometimes I am assisting a mom at the hospital and the cafeteria has some pretty decent choices but sometimes they are delivering at home and then my choices are limited to what I can bring. Still trying to work out a plan on foods to have ready. The last birth I went to I had grabbed my bag of pitted dates, a couple of hard boiled eggs, and some almonds. This was the third birth I had attended with this mom and I knew she had a history of quick deliveries. Thankfully, this one was also pretty fast and I wasn't gone too long. Not sure what I would have done if it would have been longer though. 

Here is a link to info that could help you plan some "go to" meals.

http://whole30.com/step-six/

I know trader joe's has some compliant canned chicken, and I have heard that cooked sweet potatoes are yummy cold.  I have eaten almond meal coated chicken thighs cold, they are ok that way.  Maybe have some cut up veggies ready to grab?

Archived