September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Speaking of shopping, how has this program been affecting budgets? I find that this is more expensive than how I used to eat. I totally get that this is like an investment to my health for the long-term; but money gets tight, you know? Do people have tips on how to eat Whole30 on a budget?

I've been doing this (well...nearly.....the Whole30 took away the wine, chips and treats) for 5 years and definitely it costs a bit more. The tight weeks I tend to make things that are more reliant on veggies and ground meats. And if it's really tight we go for the cheaper veggies (cabbage, turnip etc). We, unfortunately, do not buy any organic or grassfed, we simply can't afford it and even if we could, access to it around here is difficult. We buy most of our veggies at Costco and supplement with whatever is in season at the farmer's market. I always buy at least one meat (Costco) every week whether we need it or not and then I put in the freezer and have a bit of a stockpile should we be pressed for time or money.

When money is tight I don't bother with anything that requires almond flour (for breading) and will more likely use shredded coconut (costco again) if I want to make a breaded item. I also do not have coconut aminos and most of the time I just skip them in recipes and to no ill effect to the end result.

My last note about cost is that, on tight weeks, after the groceries are purchased and the car is filled with gas, I don't need to spend any money and I typically don't.

So sad that pasta and bread and hamburger helper is so much more expensive than a cart filled wtih veggies and meat. Tragic.

I haven't found a massive difference in our budget during whole30, it is still minuscule! We don't do evening trips for junk anymore though or buy biscuits and rubbish on shopping trips so that all evens out my increased meat spending plus I just don't buy expensive things and I'm used to cooking from scratch and in bulk so I don't really see any difference

• Administrators

Britishgal ~ "Hamburger Helper" is a boxed pasta with a little pouch of powdered chemicals that make a "sauce".  So basically all you need is this box of crap and a pound of hamburger.  You fry up the hamburger, dump in the pasta and powder and some water and simmer it and it makes "dinner". 

Growing up (in a small town and with limited income...my mom was a single parent to us...and none of the knowledge that we all have now) it was a staple meal for us.  I don't think I could choke that crap down now if you paid me, LOL!

Oh my good god that is gross!! I remember finding out about American packet macaroni cheese as a teenager and not quite believing it!

To is hamburger is a patty you have in a bun...I've never heard of just meat being called "hamburger meat" so I was imaging things you could put in the bun ;)

HI All.....too tired to read thru the last two days of posts. Although as i glanced thru i think Jill just had a Birthday?   Hope you had a great day!

I've had family in town for appts. the last 2 days so i've been running around madly, AND cooking for a work party and myself....dang, now I know what you all have been dealing with!  My life is typically quite.  

I've had low energy all week, after that burst of energy last wknd. 

I was thinking it might be all the potatoes/yams I've been eating?   I am getting burnt out on veggies.  I'm not a big fan of Califlower, and sorta tired of broccolli, kale, greens, etc.  :wacko:    

I'm  staying compliant and really am happy about all the good food I'm cooking and sleeping better.  Salt seems to be causing some water retention, so need to cut back on it a little.  Not eating as many avacados, and the rash on my forhead cleared up a few days ago. 

I'm just really tired....

well, better get back to work!   So nice to have you all to share with :wub:

Good morning all!! Happy day 20!

Made dinner last night for my boyfriend (he owns a restaurant and works late on Friday nights) and myself. We had roasted sweet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch rounds and green chili chicken. He said he thought it was the best healthy meal he's ever eaten! He even wanted more sweet potatoes which he usually only eats smothered in butter, brown sugar and marshmallows! The green chili chicken was moist and flavorful with just a bit of kick which was perfectly delicious. No leftovers from this meal! I will make both again!

Today, I'm going to work on cleaning up the house as well as getting some painting done in my son's room. Probably be a nice amount of physical activity associated with that.

Have a great day everybody!

Those are good suggestions, ladyshanny.

I might go to the Help forum to see if a moderator has any input.  

I am not expecting a complete shift but I still feel exhausted.  I don't feel rested when I wake up.  Most things seem very effortful, things that shouldn't- like taking shower or washing dishes.  Things that didn't used to seem so effortful.

I went to the doctor yesterday (I had an appointment earlier this month but flaked because going seemed too hard) to do a whole litany of tests, just to screen for everything.  I know my baseline and things have have felt worse than that even though my habits have remained about the same.  So we will see.  In a way, it would be comforting to know there is an "easier" physiological explanation for my lethargy/depression like anemia or under active thyroid.  Something just feels off.  And really I don't feel that different on the Whole30 yet.  Maybe I need more time, maybe there is more going on.  I just don't know.  

I am impressed with us all that's we've stuck with this for almost 3 weeks.  Reading this forum has helped me get this far.

Flora123-I've been spending more $$ on groceries too, but will be more conservative from now on.(ground meats, etc.)

Boy, I am not having a good week, I think my hormones are surging & I'm .craving carbs. Yesterday I felt my old habits creeping up.....eat something to get more energy..... I had enough compliant food so I know it wasn't the problem.

Argh..... So over this. I know it'll pass so just pluggin' along!

I can't believe it's Day 20 already. I must be PMSing because I've ate nothing but apples the past 24 hours. Tomorrow I will get back to cooking and prepping a few meals. I am thinking about making my Paleo Lasagna that is very delicious. It's been a couple of months since I last made it, but I shall wait no more.

Regarding budgets, I've not been throwing out as much food as before because I actually have a plan to cook my veggies instead of buying them to have them....and then get take out... So that has been a plus. Eating grass fed, organically grown meat does cost more but I look at it as supporting our local farmers. We have some excellent nes in our area and we see them at the farmer's market every weekend.

I had a win today. I went with the family to Buffalo Wild Wings. Had a grilled chicken salad without cheese or tomato. I snuck in an individual packet of guacamole and mixed it in with my hot sauced chicken breast. It was delicious. The only thing I really missed was a beer.

• Administrators

Big win for me too, tonight. Out of town wedding....breakfast at home at 8am....wedding was supposed to start at noon.....did not start until 2. And then ran for TWO HOURS. So did not get a lick to eat between 8am and 5pm when I could finally access the lunch I'd packed for myself. Dinner was supposed to be at 6...was TWO HOURS LATE. Had dry salad, two pieces of fresh salmon, some roasted pork and some olives. A decaf tea with coconut milk on the long drive home and now I'm going to bed....fully compliant....and glad that this chaotic road block is OVER!!!!!!

Last night was my byob event, not quite a win but I survived. The worst thing that happened was that my friend brought apple slices. I ate two slices then asked her what she put on them to keep them from browning and she said SPRITE ZERO. For the love of all that is holy why would anyone do that to apples? Other than that I nibbled on fruit, olives, snap peas and drank coconut water and kombucha for a treat. Can't really acquire a taste for the booch, though.

Dreams are vivid lately but I am feeling kind of kill all the things, and having cravings this weekend. Hopefully getting back into my weekday routine will nip that in the bud.

I don't usually do the whole meal prep for the entire week, but I cooked a lot today to last me through this coming week, and boy, am I spent. I feel like taking a nap. I finally found some 100% coconut milk and am having it in my tea...so good! I can't believe I'm saying this, but it feels as good as drinking hot chocolate. Can't wait to try this coconut milk with some chai tea.

I am so over this.  

I know I felt so desperate that I was willing to try this.  But now I feel discouraged and like I have more disordered thought around food.  I don't feel better.  I feel like I am wasting time and being masochistic on this program.  I just want to quit.  

KristinMarta - I'm feeling like you are.  I'm still not seeing any difference and, in fact, in the last 4 days, my acne has gotten to be the worst it's been in 8 months - possibly longer.  It's so discouraging!  But, like you, I decided to try this because I was desperate and feel as if I've tried almost everything else!  Everything I read says that some people don't see results until the VERY end of their time on the program (which usually makes them motivated enough to continue!)  So I'm holding out for that!  After all, it's just one more week!

We can totally do this!

Happy Monday everyone!

Good morning, everyone.

Kristinmarta, hang in there!  If nothing else, get through 30 days before you decide the program doesn't work for you.  We only have a week to go.  Regardless of whether or not you ever get the "Tiger Blood," you committed to giving yourself 30 days.  If you quit now, I promise you will feel like you let yourself down.  (And, this is coming from someone who probably has some sort of World Record for quitting diets... You always feel like you let yourself down.)

I had a what most people would probably consider a nightmare weekend for the program, but I muddled through.  My husband was off at a bachelor party shooting at small animals (fun, right?) so was watching my two-year-old daughter who is definitely going through a growth spurt all on my own.  The growth spurt means she wants to eat constantly, doesn't nap and sleeps intermittently at night but only in mommy's bed.

On Saturday, we went to a pumpkin patch replete with donuts, cider, caramel apples etc.  I had... a bottle of water.

On Sunday, we went to the circus.  It was a work event and, as we walked in, we were handed popcorn, hot dogs, cotton candy, etc.  I ate... an apple.

In between, I struggled a bit to put meals together.  I had a slight oops when I drank some flavored coffee with artificial flavor at my mom's house.  However, other than that, I was completely compliant.

I think I used to feel like an event was ruined if I could not eat the "treats" that came along with an event.  However, I really didn't care too much this weekend.  I think this is a sign that I've got the sugar dragons back in their cave.

Also, I have not slept much in the last 4 days but I am surviving.  In the past, I would be laid out with exhaustion and (sorry if this is TMI) a mouth and throat full of canker sores, as this is a huge symptom of my autoimmune condition.  I am surviving and I have no canker sores.  As others have said, I think this "better me" IS my tiger blood.

Archived