September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Hi all!

So glad to be back here! I've been lost with work but keeping up reading the posts! It took me several hours to catch up :)

I've been doing well over the last few days. Finally got the schedule and meal planning under control and now always know what I'll be eating for the next couple of days. I will say that my meals have become a little lazier! By far the hardest challenge for me was a 30 hour call shift I had at the hospital. I planned for 5 meals and packed them all, but ended up snacking on fruit and nuts throughout the night. In the morning somebody arrived with the freshest bagels ever and it was probably my most challenging moment! I did not cave and am going strong! 

Final stretch everyone! Missed you all!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Haha, Heather, I may seem mellow but I have lists for my lists of what I'll cook, pack and how I'll dish it all out so that I'm adequately fed and don't run out of food before I can come home!  There is NOTHING up there as far as stores, restaurants etc...so if I can't bring it, I can't eat it.  And as far as being absolutely confident that I will not go non-compliant? I just keep telling myself I'm not willing to go non-compliant in a shit-hole mining town when I haven't had a glass of decent wine in who-knows-how-long!  ;)

i'm totally with you guys! one of my goals for 2nd round of whole 30 for me will be incorporating exercise. i started a "soft launch" this week by adding video workouts (strength & cardio) but doing them really light and easy to just get comfortable with the movements.

another one of my goals is eliminating the in-between snacking. for weeks 1 and 2, i couldn't get by without having a fruit or some nuts between meals. prior to whole30, i was so programmed to have 5-6 smaller meals a day; and because of that, i wasn't comfortable eating a full plate in the early weeks. weeks 3 and 4 have gotten better. i think i've only in-between snacked a few days in there. and i'm getting better with feeding myself sufficiently for breakfast.

i feel all sore and achy today...maybe the workouts? not sure. they're not the feel-good, feeling accomplished, muscle soreness. it's more feel-crappy, too hot, wanna-take-a-shower kind.

• Administrators

Flora123 - I very begrudgingly stopped my twice (or three times) daily snacking when I started Whole30....but just added that volume TO my meals.  It was not until the mid of the second week that I started to feel comfortable taking those "snacks" off the back end of my breakfast and lunch. 

I knew I was fine without them, I physically felt as though I didn't need the extra volume right off the get-go...but mentally it took some time before I could let go of them.  I still keep a hard boiled egg in the fridge at work just in case I really can't stand going from bfast to lunch or lunch to home...but I've never eaten it. I guess just knowing it's there is enough?

Another odd thing, since cutting out "snacks", I no longer eat fruit and when I do, I notice almost an immediate sugar-bombed feeling (which is not good) and my....er.....digestive system slows down.  A lot.  Crazy what we get used to thinking is normal until we eliminate it and try without.

Good luck moving into the next phase and finding your exact right formula!

Hi BandC! Happy to hear all is well.

On the topic if snacking, I was actually surprised I didn't miss it. I too was a 5 little meals/snacks a day eater. 95% of the time I'm good between meals. I'm a little apprehensive about starting exercise. My body sure wants it though! Any suggestions for light PWO foods?

I am actually kind of dreading it.  I don't feel as though I've lost AT ALL which is discouraging.  And even though weight wasn't the ONLY motivator, it was my biggest one and since I"m at the gym five days and week AND feel as though I've tried every diet out there and now this healthy eating plan, I feel hopeless to find anything that will help me lose weight and make me NOT dread looking in the mirror or getting dressed.

• Administrators

It's very quiet today in our little part of the forum! How is everyone doing?

Those that are ending this at 30 days, are you excited? Nervous? Ready for it to be over?

For those going on to 60, 90 or 100, do you feel bummed that the "30" isn't really going to mean much? Nervous about the longer commitment?  Apprehensive about getting to holidays or food-days like Halloween?  Will you weigh/measure on the 31st day (since it's technically allowed)?

I just finished logging my food for the day and was seeing that tomorrow is day 27 for me (I jumped the gun and started a day early.).

A little excited and nervous on seeing day 30. However, am I so bad if I am already planning what I will make for the transition days? I have a great recipe for clean eating pumpkin steel cut oats that I am anxious to try out. It is a bit of work, but I am thinking that I could always freeze the extra portions.

I plan to give each of the food groups a try - the way outlined in the book. However, I do plan on sticking with whole 30 menu planning for most days and only go "off" occasionally. I see that this way of eating has brought so many changes in such a short time, that it is for the best if I continue.

I stopped at Trader Joes, yesterday and bought my daughter some shortbread cookies with jam (thumbprint cookies). I thought it was going to be much more difficult to see them sitting there and not take any. But it is OK. I really don't want them. Sure the super monster tries to come out when I am stressed, but I really don't want to give in. So there!

I'm sort of looking forward to next week but I'm in a bit of a lull just now, I feel like I should do this most of the time for my health buy life is a lot less cheerful without being able to eat all the foods I enjoy and without restaurants and family meals. I'm British and whatever anyone says it is not acceptable here to demand restaurants change ingredients...it is rude and I would be ostracised. Food to me is so culturally important I'm struggling with if just now. Life has definitely got quite a bit more boring ;(

I'm hoping I'm over the stupid consumption of sweet things though...but emotionally I'm struggling to see the point!

Last week I was fired up for the next one. This week I feel like I'm grieving ;(

After reading my own reply above I'm wondering if using whole30 the way I used low carb for years may work better for me than yoyoing between whole30 and eating normally.

My low carb diet was basically veg, meat, fish, nuts, dark chocolate and non-milk dairy (less than 40g of carbs per day...never done Atkins). I used to stick to it daily but never when I went out for a meal or friend's houses or had a special occasion. I have never felt healthier than those few years except on whole30 but on whole30 emotionally I feel cut off from society more than usual.

I think I need to find a way to make whole30 style eating fit into my life because without social contact and feeling at least relatively normal I'm a terrified autistic child again. Lonely, ostracised, weird. And for me, my family and my friends social contact revolves around a glass of gin and lovely food shared with friends. Love is a home cooked meal and home is where there is something on the stove.

What do you think?

Britishgal- the approach you took to the low carb eating is. The method I intend on using for after the Whole 30 and makes a lot of sense.n

It especially holds true if it is culturally unacceptable to request restaurants to adapt to your dietary needs and would make you that uncomfortable to ask them.

My intention is to follow strict whole 30 5-6 days a week. Buy I miss whole grains (not craving, but just miss having some) and some of the great recipes.

But I feel that I also have a great tool to come back to again for 30 days session when I stray too far or too often.

Thanks laxmom63...that makes me feel so much better! I don't think I'll go back to cooking pasta at home it eating much bread in a daily basis but I just can't see me being emotionally able to stick 100% to it either.

I miss cheese and sour cream and I'd love to add peas and rice back in but mainly it's the social aspect I'm looking forward to getting back.

I don't think I'll stop reading food labels though or getting annoyed when I'm lectured about fat ;)

Totally agree with you on both. I get annoyed when reading the food labels and seeing added sugar to everything. I have made the decision that clean eating is the way to go and if I really want some pasta, it will wait till the occasional dinner out with friends, but even then it will not be often.

I lived on whole grain pasta and now I have so little desire for it. What I want is whole oats, barley, quinoa, wheat berry - not processed bread and pastas. Right there is a huge change for me. I just have to give the whole grains a try to see how my body handles them. If even those do not do well, I know that I will drop them from the diet as well as sugar.

I am happy to have broken the sugar habit. I look forward to my blood work next month to prove these changes are from the inside out.

I've seen physical positives in my hair and my nails and my skin, plus I know my clothes are looser...I just worry about the emotional side!

I too am surprised by how little I'm missing food wise and how little I'll be adding back in on a regular basis...but it'll be nice to be able to decide that today/this weekend/on my birthday that I will have something I fancy

That in itself says a lot as before whole30... in the few years beforehand, since having meningitis at 30, I would eat something I fancied and then not stop for days!

BritshGal - I totally understand and agree with you on the emotional/social aspects of food.  I have felt SO lonely the past few weeks on this plan and while I have gone out a couple of times, I'm always the one who has to ask a hundred questions about the menu and it would be nice to go out and just ENJOY myself.  I haven't enjoyed dining out while on this plan.  So I like your idea of giving ourselves a break when we go out and continuing on this path when we cook at home.  That seems more manageable as a true lifestyle.  I just hope I see positive results that all of you have been talking about.  Right now, I'm feeling like I might have GAINED weight.  I tried on a dress yesterday that fit me only 6 weeks ago and it was very snug...I dissolved in tears.  My acne is worse than it's been in months, too.  I DO have more energy, but that ONE plus isn't enough for the tradeoff I'm making here.

Good morning, all.  I'm back after being MIA for a few days. 

I am glad to see other folks are starting to consider how they are going to handle the end of their Whole30.  I've been thinking about this too.

My tentative plan is to keep eating paleo almost all of the time.  I have significant weight to lose (about 40 lbs to be a healthy BMI) and this plan seems to suit me. 

I think, short term, I need to follow a slow reintroduction protocol and reintegrate categories of food at least one week apart to see if I can pinpoint whatever was causing my inflammation.  Also, I plan to keep out refined carbs and sugar, but allow honey, maple syrup and agave from time to time.  My biggest goal is to keep up the veggie intake.  Really, I think that is the key to all of this.  I was not eating nearly enough vegetables before doing my Whole30.  I want to maintain the habit of eating for nutrition, versus eating for fun or stress relief.  Lofty goal.  :)  However, it is nice to feel free from my previous disordered eating.

Longer term, I am putting another Whole 30, maybe a Whole 45-60 on my calendar for early January.  I know there is bound to be some slippage over the holidays and I want to schedule a clean-up for immediately after as a safety net.

What do people think about doing less than 30 days more regularly? I don't intend to add back many things so I'm wondering if a whole 30 days would be needed to reset myself now and again...maybe a whole14 or so every couple of months for example between Christmas and my mothers birthday weekend away at the tail end of January

Do we always have to do the whole 30 days??

I would think any period of eating on plan would be good.  I don't know that you would see the full results you would get in 30 days, but I don't see any harm to doing it.

In theory, if you are eating close to plan most of the time, you should not have the same negative symptoms that many of us had during the first few weeks on this go around.  (Hello, carb flu!)

I have been thinking about the end of this whole 30 as well. I am planning to continue through the end of October, because I haven't gotten all the results I was hoping for. I really was hoping to improve digestion and decrease inflammation.  I don't feel like either one has happened. My clothes are looser, so I'm very anxiously waiting for that 31st day so I can weigh myself and see the results!  I can't believe I managed to keep myself from checking at all this whole month!

I have way more evenly sustained energy throughout the day, which is huge for me. I sleep 90% better. I had insomnia for years before this, now I realize it was clearly something in my diet. Inflammation and digestion though... those are the areas I would lie to improve. Have you guys noticed improvement in either one? I'd love to her your stories.

Congrats to everyone who has stuck with this, through results that weren't ideal.  The other great thing I got from this experiment was sticking to my promise no matter what. It's pretty powerful to know that your word is solid; that you made a commitment to yourself and saw it through because you said you would. Knowing you can count on yourself is golden.  

Home stretch!!!!!

Hi Everyone, 

I'm sorry I've been MIA from the forum.  My kids were quite sick and I've been quite sick since last Friday.  Finally yesterday I caved and used Emergen-C which has fructose in it and also used Manuka honey (a medicinal raw honey, but honey nonetheless).  I also haven't been following the meal template while I've been sick because I have next to no appetite.  I'm not eating anything non compliant, but just not eating the way of the template.  Sometimes skipping breakfast and lunch is sometimes just a smoothie.  By supper I'm able to eat a bit more normally.  My sil was just diagnosed with pneumonia so I'm keeping an eye on that.  I do have a cough with no product though I feel a bunch in my chest - and i've had fevers and headaches like crazy all week.  Anyways, I'm not too discouraged about using non compliant medicine b/c I am carrying on for 60 days total.  

Britishgal- I've done some reading about French culture, which I'm sure is somewhat different than British and yet both European - and I can imagine that you feel isolated and that it is not appropriate to make menu change requests.  I am amazed you have stuck with this so well and I think your plan going forward sounds awesome! 

I'm glad I don't have to think yet what I will add back in, I have far too many issues with food and have felt so safe and good on this plan that I'm not ready to think back in the real world.  I've gone out to eat 3 times in the last month and every time the restaurant has been more than accommodating to make sure my meal is what I requested.  But i do feel like a total dork asking for so many specific instructions.  

I can't remember who here is staying on for more than the 30. will you keep posting in this forum or go back to the other one?  

I have tried to say on top of all these posts, but I'm sorry for not replying. 

Jclayton - do you still have baby fever :) ?  

Archived