September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Good morning, all.  Day 29... can you believe we've all made it this far?  On Day 7, it felt forever away and we're nearly here!

And now for the big question... who is willing to post before and after pics on Wednesday morning?   :P

I went out to lunch with my in-laws yesterday. We were at the Cheesecake Factory, which isn't really known for its health foods.  I wanted so badly to just throw in the towel and say 28 days is as good as 30.  However, I did not and, for me, that is a sign of how far I have come.  Before I started to Whole30, all food was FWOB for me.  I just had no willpower whatsoever and could never say NO to food I knew was not healthy.  I think, to some degree, I felt like I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I work full time as a poverty lawyer, I am raising a kid.  I felt I "deserved" to splurge on whatever I wanted to eat.  However, it got to the point that the treats were destructive because I was overweight and felt like crap about myself.

I desperately hope I find I've lost weight when I step on the scale on Wednesday but, even if have not, I hope I am not too disappointed because being in control of my eating is a MAJOR step forward.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hit day 30 today!  I'm going to kick off post results for everyone. I hope you all will post as well!!!

I didn't think I lost much weight and had prepared myself not to see much of a shift on the scale.  I was right. But I'm glad I took my total measurements because that was amazing!  

total weight - lost 5 lbs

fat - lost 8 lbs

muscle - gained 3 lbs

Belly button - lost 6.5"

nat waist - lost 4.5"

hips - lost 3"

total inches lost when adding up both arms, thighs, etc is 46".

According to my scale, I'm also more hydrated.  Mostly, I feel better.  I have better, more even energy.  My face is less bloated. My sleep is vastly improved. My mood is better. And I am so much more focussed in general in my life. I've gotten so much more done every day than before.  I squeeze life out of every minute on the weekends instead of wandering around casually getting a few things done.  So I'm much happier too.

And the change in the size of my belly has allowed me to shop in a different section of my closet, so that's a huge win as well. I'm going to continue on until near the end of October.

I look forward to hearing your results!  

• Administrators

I will be willing to post measurements and some pictures.  The before is a bra and panties picture...which I had never intended to post online, but I could consider doing so.  I'll do the measurements and pictures on Wednesday morning. I don't use a scale so I won't know what weight loss I had...but all my clothes fit better and I'm able to wear things that weren't even a wisp of a possibility 30 days ago, so.......................

I only did measurements and weight when I started, but no pics. But I do have some pics that are pretty recent from other things. 

So excited for tomorrow to be Day 30! I also plan to stay on this forum to check in and see how everyone is doing. I would love to hear the reintroduction stories and how things are going for people continuing on. 

Nice job LibbyHunter and clairezip! 

I didn't do measurements, but since I have another 30lbs or so to go to get to my healthy BMI, I could do measurements before this new round of whole 30.  I also didn't do before pictures, but do have some pictures from camping this summer - just a month before I started that I could post, and try to take a new one today.   Where/how do you do measurements? 

LIbby and LadyShanny - it feels great to have those accomplishments, hey?   Way to go!

• Administrators

Clairzip ~ for measurements I just use a soft tape measure and my measuring spots are:

bust across the nipples

waist at the belly button

hips at the fullest point

rear at the fullest point

left thigh at the fullest point

left calf at the fullest point

Libbyhunter - Great Job! 

I did not take pictures before as even if I lost a good sum of weight, there will not be much of a difference between the 2.  I did take measurements, so will see how those come out. 

I have far more than the 30-40lbs to lose that some have posted.  So even if I lost more than 10lbs,  most people would not even see it. 

Of course I can see a difference and I have been shopping in my closet for pants that I can't recall the last time I wore!  So it will be interesting to take my measurements tomorrow morning (today is my day 30, but I want to complete the 30 days before re-measuring). 

I have decided to reintroduce dairy for tomorrow.  Mostly because I REALLY want a cup of pumpkin coffee with cream.  Will only go with a smaller cup than I use to get, though.  I also think that I may take my daughter to her favorite fro-yo place as well.  We stopped after her final fall league lacrosse game with her team, yesterday, but I did good in just going next door to starbucks for a cup of tea (plain).  However one of the mothers was telling me how good their pumpkin yogurt was. 

Will go back to full Whole 30 for Wednesday and Thursday and then will go non-gluten grains for Friday - Already plan to make beef / mushroom / barley soup for dinner that night along with pumpkin steel cut oats for the morning breakfast.   Then back to whole 30 for the weekend.  I don't know if I will do a re-intro to soy.  After watching Fed Up and reading labels, too many soy products have added sugar - I may eventually do it, but not right away. 

Hi all!  All caught up and happy to see how everyone is doing!  Hooray for staying here past 30!

It is my day 30 today, but only day 18 on AIP.  I have done a few elimination diets to try to pinpoint food sensitivities and one W30, and I have screwed up on the reintroductions every time.  It has always been so hard to stay restricted for such a long time and they maintain an orderly reintroduction schedule.

How I feel... well, I have not hit tiger blood. :)  I feel slightly socially alienated.  I am still having digestive issues.  Happy to be compliant still.  Afraid to reintroduce (but considering trying eggs).  I do feel like my face has lost its bloated look.

I didn't measure at the beginning of my 30, just stood on the scale.  I have a substantial amount of weight to lose.

I don't eat fish (shellfish allergy and once an allergist told me to avoid fish, too), but I bought sardines at Sam's club, 5 or 6 tins!  omega 3's!  Now I am too afraid to open a tin. :wacko:  Any sardine advice?  I might try to fry them using a Well Fed recipe...

Had a disappointing visit with a new endocrinologist on Friday.  One interesting thing, though.  He recommended a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea.  I think I will try it out.

Going to a yoga class tonight!

Hey ladies,

Omg it's Day 29!! Congrats to us for kicking ass! 

I am feeling pretty good.  I seriously do not crave most of the non Whole 30 foods.  I have gotten a few random bouts of anxiety, but they have certainly decreased since changing my diet.  I definitely know I've lost weight.  Might post pics, but mine are also bra/underwear ones so I'm not sure about presenting my nearly naked self online lol.  But I might if others do.

I'm wanting to continue to another Whole30 also, but I have some dilemmas.  First of all, my birthday is this Saturday.  I think I'd like a glass of wine and was debating a slice of gluten free / vegan cake from a hippie bakery across the street, but honestly that amount of sugar doesn't sound too appetizing right now (strangely).  Next, I live in Colorado and there is a huge microbrew culture here.  This month the famed Venetucci local pumpkin ale comes out and it has a cult following.  You have to go out the day it comes out to get any before it sells out.  My fiance is just doing 30 days and wants to get the beer, and I do too because it's delicious, but should I really drink beer?  Probably not.  

October is my favorite month of the year where I usually indulge in Pumpkin Spice lattes (haven't even had one yet), bake pumpkin things, drink pumpkin beer.  I just love it all and I'm honestly a bit sad to be missing it.  Then there's also Halloween which is one of my favorite holidays, but is also usually a booze-a-thon party.  I don't want to miss these things, but then again...is it worth it? 

Libbyhunter - Nice work!  That is amazing!  46" is fantastic!

I did not take measurements, which I am now regretting.  I did take a before picture, though.

Does anyone know of a photo site that is somewhat protected?  Maybe there is one that requires you to have the link to open. Sort of like Google docs but for pictures?  I would feel way better posting my pictures if I knew only a select few people would be seeing them.  I don't need my "before" pics floating around the interwebs....

What do people think about doing less than 30 days more regularly? I don't intend to add back many things so I'm wondering if a whole 30 days would be needed to reset myself now and again...maybe a whole14 or so every couple of months for example between Christmas and my mothers birthday weekend away at the tail end of January

Do we always have to do the whole 30 days??

I know that people do smaller resets, and a 7 or 14 day sounds nice, but do you think they just get past the withdrawal and then kill all the things and then stop? :)

Thank you all for the encouragement and complements! I didn't do any before photos out of fear I wouldn't see any changes, now I wish I had taken some.  

Ladyshanny, I never thought about the 46" being almost 4 feet, that's pretty wild!  I don't feel like my body has massively changed, oddly.

I am looking forward to my digestion improving over the next few weeks.  I'm going to play around with AIP, cut out eggs and nightshades and see if they are an issue. My gut is better, but still not functioning anywhere near normally.  I'm going to make an apt for a physical to see if my cholesterol or blood work comes back differently, I'm hoping so!!!!!

Congrats to all who are wrapping up day 29-30 today!  It's such an accomplishment to have gotten this far. I'm proud of all of us.

;)

• Administrators

I was reading back on an old diary that I was keeping almost a year ago.  I laughed and laughed when I read it today because the very last line of the entry says "So, nothing too horrible."  Below is an exerpt.

"Friday was decent except for dinner which was Chinese food....and which I sort of did alright with anyway, about a cup and a half of curried chicken over rice and a couple pieces of Sweet & Sour Pork.  Not the best bot not atrocious. Saturday morning and Saturday lunch were the same, cauliflower rice w/ an egg and a banana and some watermelon throughout the day. Had some vodka mid day after some errands and then a small glass of white wine.  Saturday for dinner we went to Wafflehouse where I had an omelette and pan fries. Sunday morning was an egg over the rest of the cauli rice and a bunch of watermelon. Sunday afternoon Ray and I rode to Squamish and I had an iced latte and a HUGE gluten free cookie.  Dinner Sunday night was rib eye, sweet potato and asparagus and I also had another couple ounces of vodka.  So.....nothing too horrible."

LMAO!  So in one weekend that was basically indicative of "normal for me" I had questionable Chinese food with rice, sugar and soy and who knows what else, tonnes of fruit, several ounces of vodka, a couple glasses of wine, dairy in an omelette, battered pan fries, carrageenan (and sugar, probably) in a latte and a gluten free cookie the size of my head (oats, rice flour, sugar!).  It is NO bloody wonder that almost every entry I started with some version of "had a horrible sleep, woke up puffy, have headache, joints hurt, am crabby."  LMAO!

Good morning, all.  Day 29... can you believe we've all made it this far?  On Day 7, it felt forever away and we're nearly here!

And now for the big question... who is willing to post before and after pics on Wednesday morning?   :P

I went out to lunch with my in-laws yesterday. We were at the Cheesecake Factory, which isn't really known for its health foods.  I wanted so badly to just throw in the towel and say 28 days is as good as 30.  However, I did not and, for me, that is a sign of how far I have come.  Before I started to Whole30, all food was FWOB for me.  I just had no willpower whatsoever and could never say NO to food I knew was not healthy.  I think, to some degree, I felt like I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs... I work full time as a poverty lawyer, I am raising a kid.  I felt I "deserved" to splurge on whatever I wanted to eat.  However, it got to the point that the treats were destructive because I was overweight and felt like crap about myself.

I desperately hope I find I've lost weight when I step on the scale on Wednesday but, even if have not, I hope I am not too disappointed because being in control of my eating is a MAJOR step forward.

exactly what i was doing....not other "additictions"  so food is not such a bad thing.  ha!   50lbs over wt. says different!  

HI All,

I was super excited about weighing myself tomorrow.  After reading everyone's posts about weight and measurements, I had a flash-back of the same old perspective of focusing on my weight and not my health.  Of course I'm happy my clothes fit better....not going to begrudge any weight loss! :D

And I know you all are also, from reading this month of posts,  on the same path of improving your health. 

It's just that I have preoccupied myself with my weight loss my entire life...since being a teenager(I think that's when it starts for most of us)...and for me to continue with that frame-of-mind after making such a huge lifestyle change seems to be missing the point. I know that my mind-set will take a long time to re-program,..and realistically, I know it's not going to be a 100% change. 

It has just been so refreshing to focus on cooking and healthy eating.  It has been a big adjustment and I feel like I've achieved a major acomplishment by changing my eating habits.

Sorry, don't mean to put a damper on the celebration!  ^_^   I just have to keep focused so I don't fall head-first into my old ways......

That is 90% why I'm continuing past 30 days(off my soap box now, i want to loose more weight ;) )

:ph34r: I'm a little apprehensive about posting this, but I have to put it out there if I want to really make some life changes.

• Administrators

Fgermain ~ there is absolutely nothing that says you have to weigh or measure yourself!  I am resolutely against the scales and did measurements more because I like tangible numbers, even though I can tell that my clothes are fitting differently.  To be true though, I thought about not doing my measurements and after pictures until after my period is over (starts this coming weekend) so that I could have the best possible results to post/share.  But then I realized that this sort of thinking is doing myself and all the rest of us a disservice.  I'll take my measurements and picture on Wednesday as planned......because I either do it as scheduled or I don't do it at all...anything less and it's untruthful and that is an old and disrespectful habit that I don't want any part of.

To the rest of the ladies who are thinking about posting undie-pics, it's not a lot different than someone snapping your pic at the beach in a bikini.  Does that help?  :P

Today is day 30 for me. It is not nearly as difficult as it was at the beginning. I am planning to continue but will relax a bit about going out to eat. If an omelette is cooked in vegetable oil, it's not the end of the world and it makes it easier to be social. I will still purposely avoid any of the non-w30 foods. I am going to start reintroduction in a couple of weeks. No urge to rush into it right now! I just need to have it done by Thanksgiving so I can make good choices about what to cook and eat.

I am REALLY looking forward to the occasional piece of bacon.

Ladyshanny- thank you! I know this is my own personal issue & I'm thankful I can share openly on here & not feel judged, as I hope you all do. I in no way want to impose my "stuff" on anyone here.

we are all on our own journeys.

With THAT said...

Woo-Hoo day 30 on the horizon!!!!

Way to go laxmom!! Those are some awesome numbers!  

fgermain - thank you for your post and insight. What a healthy point you bring up! It made me think last night also about why I'm doing this. Yes, weight loss is a great side effect, but should that really be the main reason? 

I cheated and weighed myself this morning (only Day 30 for me  :D ), but didn't do measurements. I'll wait to post until tomorrow when I have all the info. 

Have a great Day 30!!!

Hooray laxmom!!

I weighed this morning, down 6 pounds from day 1.  Which is good because the weight was just piling on all summer, I am much happier to see the number going down.  From eating nutritious foods and fat at every meal!  More importantly, on day 31 I woke up feeling good!  I think the yoga helped. 

I am going to stay on my W30 for now.  I don't have a firm plan at this point.  I started doing AIP a little way into my W30, I will hit 30 days AIP on 10/18.  90 days of my W30 would be 12/5, but Thanksgiving is definitely a consideration for me.  I might want to have my reintroductions underway before then.  I don't intend to binge or anything, but I love that time of year and spending time with my family, and I know my mom bastes her turkey with butter. :)  I have been gravy and stuffing-free for 20 months now, so I can handle that, but I think I would like some of my mom's turkey on Thanksgiving.

HAPPY DAY 30 (AND 31 AND 32...)!!!!

just overall feels great that I stuck out this commitment through the very end. I don't think I've ever been successful at reaching a milestone with any past diets.

Regretfully, I didn't take before measurements, but will for sure do it for this 2nd round.

Archived