September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladyshanny and fgermain - I am very impressed with your results! And your motivation to continue!

I have tried some reintroductions, but the main one that I am keeping out is sugar.

I have found that dairy causes congestion and flem in the back of my throat. I see that I will really be limiting that in my diet. Whole grains are good for me, though. But have to be in moderation as I want to limit the sugar impact. Soy and legumes are ok, but also will be limited as I am concerned about the sugar processing.

I won't get my blood work done until early December, so will see how the internals are at that time. However, I am continuing to lose and am now down 20.2lbs at the end of week 5. Still pleased with the overall results.

I think next week I will back on another whole 7-14 day plan. Taking me closer to Thanksgiving. Also, I have started to apply for jobs and have a face to face interview on the 20th. I am hopeful that this interview goes well and I can end my job search basically as soon as it began! LOL!

Hey ladies!!! Glad to see everyone is still truckin' along! I'm doing excellent right along with you all!

A good friend of mine from work is starting her first whole 30 today. We got together yesterday and talked about meal planning and grocery lists. Right now I have a stockpile of frozen partial meals so my grocery list is pretty short this week... Yay me!! Next week will be different. Lol

I decided that this time around I would weigh myself whenever I please. I realize that doing whole30 is not about the number on the scale but I like to watch the number fall... And this morning, I am now down a total of 8.4 pounds since Sept 8th, however, I am down 20' ish pounds since going paleo in March of this year! And that has been virtually with no exercise other than an occasional walk. This morning I was able to put on the size 10 crop pants that have been in my drawer since early last year mocking me. I've been using them as my non scale victory and I HAVE ARRIVED!!! Complete with no muffin top!! So happy this morning!

A doctor that I used to work with has been eating paleo for a while and she lets herself have a non-paleo meal once a quarter. I'm considering adopting this as well but instead of being paleo, I would continue to do whole30's between quarterly special occasions. No official decisions made yet but it seems like a good idea. ;)

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Oh and ladyshanny, I completely agree about the bewbs are the first to go for those lacking, and the last to go for those with plenty! We can't win, can we?!

Yeah size 10!!! I have a pair of white denim pants size 12 that I'm eyeing. It's so great to hear how we are all so much more aware of our self-care & really focusing on what works for us individually. You keep, keepn' on Jclayton79!

Wanted to share a not-so-fun experience with food over the weekend. So on Saturday, which was my 6th work day in row, I was exhausted and not in the best state to make food choices. My husband wanted me to pick him up some Hawaiian food for dinner. I am usually ok with being around other food and still sticking to plan. But I think the tiredness got to me, and I got what was "safe" - coleslaw salad (plain, no dressing) with BBQ as the protein. I know that this was all a risk since I didn't know what went into the preparation of the beef. But I wasn't thinking straight. So I had it for dinner. The next morning, I woke up fine and had my normal compliant breakfast. But by 11am or 12pm, I came down with a panic attack, migraine (more sensitivity to light, as opposed to pain), severe fatigue, and dizziness that lasted for hours even after a 2 hour nap. Do you guys think this was directly related to the beef I had, even though it wasn't immediate?

I've been emotional for the past week. Almost started crying at a group meeting last Thu; and again this morning while on the phone at work...

I decided that this time around I would weigh myself whenever I please. I realize that doing whole30 is not about the number on the scale but I like to watch the number fall... And this morning, I am now down a total of 8.4 pounds since Sept 8th, however, I am down 20' ish pounds since going paleo in March of this year! And that has been virtually with no exercise other than an occasional walk. This morning I was able to put on the size 10 crop pants that have been in my drawer since early last year mocking me. I've been using them as my non scale victory and I HAVE ARRIVED!!! Complete with no muffin top!! So happy this morning!

I like this! I may do it too.

• Administrators

Wanted to share a not-so-fun experience with food over the weekend. So on Saturday, which was my 6th work day in row, I was exhausted and not in the best state to make food choices. My husband wanted me to pick him up some Hawaiian food for dinner. I am usually ok with being around other food and still sticking to plan. But I think the tiredness got to me, and I got what was "safe" - coleslaw salad (plain, no dressing) with BBQ as the protein. I know that this was all a risk since I didn't know what went into the preparation of the beef. But I wasn't thinking straight. So I had it for dinner. The next morning, I woke up fine and had my normal compliant breakfast. But by 11am or 12pm, I came down with a panic attack, migraine (more sensitivity to light, as opposed to pain), severe fatigue, and dizziness that lasted for hours even after a 2 hour nap. Do you guys think this was directly related to the beef I had, even though it wasn't immediate?

I've been emotional for the past week. Almost started crying at a group meeting last Thu; and again this morning while on the phone at work...

So sorry you're feeling lousy, Flora! It sounds to me like you were already burnt out/run down and while maybe the beef had an effect on you (maybe soy/sugar in the bbq sauce), it sounds a bit more like maybe you were already heading down a path of a not so great day? I hope you continue to make fully compliant choices in the next week....because whether it was bbq related or not, the thing that will get you back to feeling your best is going to be eating nutritious and healthful foods!

xoxo and hug! Take care of you!

Hi all! Wow reintroductions have been hard. I didn't get a single zit during my whole 30 (or for several weeks before that really), and in this last week I've had three nasty little things popping up on my face! I think it's dairy, which makes me very sad. But at least now I know. 

Haven't weighed myself yet because I don't own a scale. Thought I could get away with weighing myself at target, but all the scales were in their boxes and it was just really awkward to take one out and put it on the floor and weigh myself! 

I got a terrible migraine in the spring after eating bbq (at Disney World), I googled it after and apparently we are not the only people it happens to, most people think it is the sauce.  The sauces have a LOT of ingredients, and many include MSG which could be the trigger. I have avoided bbq since then.

Hope you are feeling better.

I survived the weekend and stayed compliant, well mostly. :)

On Saturday night I had a mini vacation with my mom and my daughters (meaning we stayed overnight at a hotel with a pool - my kids were in heaven lol). I packed two compliant meals, but there were great restaurants and I was a tad mentally prepared to stray if it came up.  The first night the kids wanted room service, so I ate the meal I brought and some house made kettle chips from room service.  They did not taste as good as i thought they would!  The next morning I braved a buffet, again with the mindset that I might "be bad", but I ended up doing ok - low carb, not a lot of veggies: a piece of steak, a piece of prime rib, a piece of salmon, olives, fruit, broccoli. And only one plate, a lot different from a normal buffet experience.  The salmon said cured and there was obviously sugar in the cure, but omg so delicious. I think I got sugar and some dairy (butter on the broccoli) in that meal. Then I ate my next packed meal for lunch and am back on the compliant track since then. 

Technically I suppose I would start back on Day 1 after Sunday?  I am going to keep compliant and carry on.

Added almond meal (an AIP omission) back in on Friday, thankfully it seems to be ok.  I rely on it as a "breading" for chicken and pork chops.

Also, love those Jones frozen breakfast sausages but have not had any on my W30.

I agree with ladyshanny, flora.  I had a rough week last week, especially after my day 31 off program day.  I hung in there and kept compliant day 32 on out and I was pleasantly surprised that my body recovered and my spiral downwards came to a stop. I'm fighting old thought patterns, as I'm sure we all are. This program is helping those patterns change, a long with my poor eating habits.  I tell you, even with the weight loss I'm having, I am way more pleased with the habit/thought changes.

How are you doing now?

you know Heather, I've been browsing thru other forums on this site, and it's interesting the different responses to why one would start over.  The answer I saw most recently is from a Moderator, so I take it more seriously.  He said if it was sugar you ate, you don't have to start over, (I would cut and paste it, but that's beyond my capabilities this a.m.!) but if it was any form of say, grain, gluten type stuff, you would for sure have to start over.  The reasoning behind that is the effect it has on our bodies and the "reset" button, etc. 

Anyone else see info. about this?

Good for you with sticking to it.  It does seem easier when we know we feel good being compliant. 

Hi All!

so on day 5 of another 70, I'm committing to the W100 with ladyshanny...why the hell not eh?  I'm doing well. No big issues to report.  I do have to say, my last two days at work were very stressful and usually bring out the sugar monster in me by late afternoon.(I work 7a-7p).  There is usually some sort of snack food available, noncompliant of course.  Yesterday I just took a quick break and ate my hardboiled egg and a handful of cashews, and I was fine. It is so nice to not have a sugar crash in the afternoons anymore!  I joke that I used to be irritable from my sugar/caffeine crash, but now I see I really am just a b*tch!  ;)  I'm a Unit Sec./Ward Clerk in a 15 bed ICU, so it can get very stressful at times.

Today is my big shopping and cooking day, so I better get off here and get to gettin'.

booksandcoffee-I was reading thru the first few days of this post and saw you were dealing with coffee issues.  What did you end up doing?

Hope anyone doing reintro. are doing well!

Have a great day everyone! :D

• Administrators

That's a super stressful job to be doing, Fgermain!  Does it make you more relaxed knowing that you don't have to worry about food for hours at a time between meals?

I used to work at a much more stressful job than what I have now and I remember being under "conventional wisdom" and I would eat to deal with my stress but I would also clock-watch until the next time I could eat something.  It was awful and contributed to my overall stress level, I think.  I wish I had known this way of eating/sleeping/self care back then!

fgermain - Right there with you regarding your job! I'm a medical resident and have been in an ICU this month. A month was enough.. it really takes a toll. Being so busy makes being compliant both easier and harder at the same time. About the coffee, I'm embarrassed to say I never really gave it up. I forgot to have coffee one day and had a headache that lasted about 36 hours.. Which made me scared about giving it up! It also made me realize how dependent I am now. I only have one cup a day, I think I would have to wean down to ½ cup, very slowly. 

the big change I've noticed is that I'm not having out of control cravings, therefore, not eating mindlessly.  I have been good, over the years, bringing my food for meals and snacks, but still eating whatever was laying around in addition to my own food.  That has been, for the most part, easy to let go of, because I just feel better over all.  So, yes, less stress about food for sure!  

I was asking because I've had the same experience with coffee....the freaking out if I don't get some, for fear of a headache.  Well, with the W30, I was really focused on ending my roller coaster day of emotions, etc. and I thought one of the culprits was coffee. I didn't drink any the first day or so, then forced myself to drink a little black, to ward off any headache that may try to creep up.(not wanting to substitute creamers, etc. but to break the hold I thought coffee had on me,)

I was really surprised I didn't get a headache and even MORE surprised I didn't have an afternoon crash or get irritable in the afternoons. (as I said in an earlier post, it wasn't the coffee and sugar after all! ;))

So, with all that explanation, I have found that I'm exploring different coffees black and actually noticing different tastes....who knew!??

I'm drinking 6-8oz in the a.m., as opposed to the 16oz full of cream, sugar and splenda, and an afternoon Venti Cool Lime Refresher, for all you Starbx folks, you know how those go down so easy, and trick you into thinking they are not full of sugar and caffeine! 

Well, while I'm on here, I've had a super low energy day, but managed to get my shopping down, just not cooking.  My gastic tract  is not to happy with me today, could be all the cabbage I had......

AND i'm bummed to see the Mini Chx and apple sausages I bought have Sodium Nitrate in them, and in my not so sharp mind today, I think that's a noncompliant ingredient.... :angry:

here's to more energy tomorrow and some good cooking! 

• Administrators

Day 38 of my Whole100...and unfortunately got a hormonal migraine yesterday afternoon that has lasted through the night and is still with me this morning.  Normally I would have had the headache for the 4-6 days leading up to my period...but only got it yesterday and, if all goes as normal, it should be gone by this evening.  So although I am suffering right now, I'm actually suffering significantly LESS than in months gone by. I'll take that!

Day 38 for me too! My initial goal of making it to Thanksgiving may fall through... my boyfriend's family celebrates each person's birthday with a dinner of roast and Yorkshire pudding, gravy, cheesy cauliflower, and honey glazed carrots and we're celebrating his sister's 40th birthday on November 1st. The only compliant item on the menu is the roast. I'm considering baking a sweet potato at home and taking it with me but I'm afraid his family will feel offended by that. His stepdad spends the ENTIRE day fixing this meal. Ugh! What do you all think?? It's a small group. Only 6 of us so it's not really an option not to eat.

Advice please!

• Administrators

Oh wow, that's a predicament!

Can you kindly ask them to put aside a serving of cauli before they add the cheese and do the same with the carrots before they add the honey? I don't know your family dynamic but I can't imagine that they would be upset with you, it's not any extra work. 

Option two would be to offer to make a Whole30 approved side dish for everyone to partake in and then you have the roast and your side dish and again, it's no extra work for anyone....except you, but I imagine that's not the issue, LOL.

Jclayton, that meal sounds divine!  I actually think you might be on the right track with having the beef and bringing a sweet potato.  I don't know if your bf's family would be receptive to the idea, but could you offer to bring a compliant veggie dish?  Salad, brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli? 

40th birthday parties are definitely special, but when you get this far it is kind of hard to ditch it for one meal.

Something strange is happening today! I'm cranky and sleep deprived and keep craving a sugary coffee or chocolate. But I know that it won't solve anything and will just make me feel worse! So I'm stuck but in a good way. Just power through with no coffee and strong will till it's time to go home.

Fgermain - Now I only do one cup in the morning, maybe once a week I'll have a second one but those days I can't get a good sleep afterwards. I think I'm ready to give it up.. Planning on Monday.

Archived