September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Administrators

Ach...talk about bad timing, I am also fighting sugar dragons at the moment (thanks, hormones) and my boss just brought me one of my most favourite things.  Penuchre...basically a fudge made from brown sugar, butter and milk.  Six huge pieces.  So now my uterus is in revolt and my head is pounding and this stupid, delicious, ridiculous fudge is sitting on my desk. That's just great.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Haha, no, I won't do it.  I was sorely tempted....fortunately my advil kicked in, my uterus calmed down and my head cleared up.  Thank HEAVENS.

I really want to save it in the freezer until my "end" but honestly.............that is just shit that opens up too many doors to dark places.  So I will begrudgingly give it to my husband.  I may or may not French kiss him the second he is done eating it.  That doesn't count, right? :o

stressed out, anxiety-ridden, bitch on wheels, hate myself, having my own pity party today. :(

I'm so with you, Heather. I think it all peaked yesterday. I picked a fight with my husband in the morning before leaving for work (over something so insignificant), let it brew all day, and returned home with all that contained anger to continue the fight. I feel terrible. I've been having a rough, defeated past week and I just took it out on him.

heather-oh, I got confused after reading your post and thought I had already posted today!  ;)    yep, pitty party not full on raging as it would be if I was eating crap...but it's still here....

It sounds like we are all dealing with some sh*t these days.   I've had NO energy my 2 days off, no appetite, was actually feeling hungry yesterday for the first time, I think, since I started this program.....had ambiguous cravings yesterday, ended up eating too many cashews!  (figured out that's what caused my problem, not the cabbage).....

I think I'm fighting off the cold that's going around, my teenager has it, and now my older dtr. is showing symptoms...ugh.

I had to force myself to cook today, after shopping and filing the fridge yesterday.  It was a real chore, and my soup turned out gross :(.

BUT, on the bright side, I have pork stew in the crockpot, stuffed bell peppers cooked, and 1/2 way done with the little egg muffin thingies. Still have the almond, coconut green beans to make, salmon to cook and a quick salad dressing to mix up, then I can relax and feel ready for the next few days.....

Whew  I feel better, thanks!  Hope tomorrow brings better things for us all.(Flora123)

ladyshanny-I think if you tripped and fell on his mouth, with your tongue sticking out, it would be OK :P

jclayton79-I know it can be awkward having to explain yourself and your whole food "situation" and not worry about offending anyone.  Let us know how it goes

booksandcoffee- now I know what your user name means....school books and coffee to stay awake while studying!  I initially pictured you leisurely sipping coffee at the coffee house whilst reading a lovely novel. ;)  good luck with the coffee on Mon.!

• Administrators

LMAO...Im gonna try it!

And speaking of husbands, why is it that the poor devils get the brunt of our shitty moods? Sorry you were stewing on a fight all day....I do that too (and every other woman on the planet, perhaps?). I would say that the stewing and nitpicky fighty bits are fewer, further between and less intense than they have been in months gone by.....on the other hand I don't feel overly passionate about anything at the moment and sometimes I think it's the Whole30-100 to blame for that.....it takes a tonne of work and energy and mental process and emotional healing and there's just not a lot left at the end of the day. Hmmm....

Anyone else feeling the lack of passion these days (I'm not just talking about sex, either....just in general)?

• Administrators

Morning.  My optimism towards my headache/migraine nonsense was blown out of the water last night with a full blown menstrual migraine.  I used to get these every single month when I was on the birth control pill...then the hubby had the snippy and I went off the pill and didn't have anything for a couple years, it was glorious.

Lately, past 6-8 months though, BLAMMO.  In researching it and trying to figure out what has been different between now and then, I think it's diet related (ha, obviously.).  I used to eat a boatload of almond butter.....like.....a large jar every 2-3 weeks.  In the last 6 months or so I cut almond butter out because it was a FWOB for me.  Funny thing though, women who get menstrual migraines tend to be lower in magnesium.  You know what is HIGH in magnesium? ALMONDS....and therefore, almond butter.  I think I was unknowingly supplementing myself with the almond butter and once I stopped, magnesium levels may have dropped and that might be contributing to my increasingly bad migraines.

I'm going to start Epsom salt baths (magnesium absorbed through the skin) tonight.  I cut the almond butter out because FWOB but also because it was upsetting my stomach...so almonds are still out.  We eat a TONNE of leafies...kale, spinach, chard...at least once a day.  I hesitate to take Natural Calm because the reviews are really mixed.  The calcium supplement that I have is 2:1 cal to mag...but the magnesium type in that is only 4% bioavailable.

I think I might also hit up the Dr and see about stronger pain killers (advil is useless). 

I'm frustrated but determined to get this licked.....if you need me, I'll be in the tub.  ;)

So grateful to have this support, interesting to see the similarities in our journies.

ladyshanny - Sorry about the headache.  I have tried natural calm in the past, I found it to be pleasant but did experience a bit of the laxative effect.  An epsom salt bath sounds like just the thing, though. :) 

And the lack of passion - yes. YES.  My W30 is really a self-centered thing, I might be using up all of my caring on shopping, cooking, cleaning and planning.  And then just trying to get as much other stuff as I can done.  Maybe in a kind of survival mode, though?  But even my W30 has just fallen into a comfortable (boring?) routine now... the grocery list has been the same for a few weeks, meals are less interesting, just getting a compliant meal on a plate and eating it, not too worried about it like I was in the beginning.  

Is your travel imminent?  Just booked a brief trip for the middle of November, plane with carry on only one way and 22 hour car ride on the way home.  I think I am going to HAVE to ride my own bike for that. 

• Administrators

Heather ~ the 10 days out of town/living out of a cooler was actually called off last week and I could not be HAPPIER about it!

A 22 hour car ride sounds intense!  And also like a recipe for simply doing the best you can with what you have in the moment.  That's all anyone can really ask.

I'm glad to hear that you are experiencing the lack of passion too...makes me feel less crazy.  :)

LMAO...Im gonna try it!

And speaking of husbands, why is it that the poor devils get the brunt of our shitty moods? Sorry you were stewing on a fight all day....I do that too (and every other woman on the planet, perhaps?). I would say that the stewing and nitpicky fighty bits are fewer, further between and less intense than they have been in months gone by.....on the other hand I don't feel overly passionate about anything at the moment and sometimes I think it's the Whole30-100 to blame for that.....it takes a tonne of work and energy and mental process and emotional healing and there's just not a lot left at the end of the day. Hmmm....

Anyone else feeling the lack of passion these days (I'm not just talking about sex, either....just in general)?

Yes Ladyshanny- I've been waiting for a change in my energy level so I can start going to the gym again.  And I'm feeling like it's not a burn-out exactly, I think you're describing it well.  I'm thankful it's not from eating crappy food though!

HI all,

Yes, Heather, I'm glad to hear we're all in the same boat. Hope all goes with your traveling.  I was not feeling 100% when i cooked up my last batch of food, so no big surprise, the last batch of cooking did not turn out as good as my past ones. :(   I think it IS easier to stick to the recipes we know and are comfortable with, I'm making Choc. Chili again, it's just such a good stand-by. 

So sorry, ladyshanny, you're having bad Heachaches...hope they clear up soon.  Get some good drugs! B)  Glad to hear your travel was cancelled.

have a good wknd. ladies! :D

Yeah!! I thought of you as I was drinking my hot 12oz coffee when I was walking to the bus.

I'm exhausted today, busy at work. I struggle a tiny bit when I'm tired, but the cravings aren't there to push me over the edge, so I push thru.

A Dr. put dark chocolate covered, crystalized Ginger out to share.....oh man I did not like seeing that!!

I'm cooking tomorrow. I'll be more patient & stick to the recipes this time. I still have 1/2 a crock pot of dry pork stew meat :-(

Hope you all got thru the wknd ok & I'll check in later this week

Just checking in. I'm sort of having that feeling of "honeymoon's over" - this round for me doesn't have that challenging-but-exciting vibe like before. Still truckin' along, but gosh, I am bored. And missing bacon! (either I couldn't find compliant bacon nearby, or I wasn't willing to pay for it)

I haven't incorporated the workouts as planned. Maybe I'm doing 3 average a week, which isn't bad; but I had intended 5-6. I'm feeling that lull too.

Chocolate chili is on the menu for the majority of the week.

Hey everybody! I agree with Flora's statement about the honeymoon being over... I've gotten a little bored in my eating too so I took some time the other night to really track down some new recipes. I made nomnom paleo's whole chicken and gravy in the crockpot and that turned out pretty darn delicious. I plan to try the cracklin' chicken and her Unami gravy at some point. I have all the ingredients anyway. Chocolate chili is on the list too. It's so flavorful that I have to keep the freezer stocked with it for a quick easy meal. Loaded up on veggies at the store tonight and brought home more apples and a bag of grapes. I'm hoping I'll squeeze in some time to make my almost 7 pound pork shoulder into carnitas this week and throw those leftovers in the freezer as well. I'm down to only 1 container of that on standby.

It's that time of year again... Preparing for open enrollment for health insurance at work. So, I started my whole30 (now whole30+) on 9/8 as did most of you all but I started eating paleo in March of this year and after 4-5 months of that, my diet started to relax which is really why I decided to try whole30. Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry. On 9/25, I had my biometrics done for work and I was nervous but I knew if the numbers were less than stellar then I had already started fixing them with whole30... So I felt encouraged....

The numbers are IN! Total cholesterol last year at this time was 218, now it's 183! Triglycerides were 111, now 70! LDL was 163, now 130. HDL was 33, now 39 (this is the best this has ever been--blame genetics mostly)! Weight is down 20 pounds!! I still have work to do but I have come along way and the numbers reflect my hard work! I couldn't be happier!

Jclayton79-that's awesome! It feels good to accomplish something more than wt. loss.

booksandcoffee-yeah!!! Keep it going!

I'm with you all on the Honeymoon being over....good-bye Honeymoon Suite, Hello Motel6!

I find I'm burnt out on shopping & following specific recipes. I've been throwing things together & not always succeeding. I said I'd be more patient cooking, well, that didn't happen. I did buy a Dutch Oven & meat mthermometer, so I'll give it another go with some chicken.

I am pleased with my eating habits being better.

Let's keep on keepin' on ladies!

Good Morning all,

Ugh, i'm still feeling little to no inspiration here folks.  I'm eating compliant food, but not necessarily compliant to the meal template. OR, it could just be that if I don't eat a pile of green veggies, I think I'm not eating veggies.  Seriously, I've dieted off and on for so many years, I am now realizing I have such a preconceived idea of veggies, I know, I know, that may sound silly, but sweet potatoes are almost too good to be "compliant"....I think it's my diet brain thinking I have to deprive myself to be compliant.  I have some delicious chicken and roasted veggies(onions, rutabagas, turnips, sweet potatoes) and I ate the drumstick and thigh,( AND the skin!!) that I felt like I had been noncompliant. ???  I think the fact that it stirred up my feelings of enjoying foods that I typically think are "bad" (the dark meat, chicken skin, and potatoes)  I felt guilty for enjoying them so much?   Oh man, I have food issues :rolleyes:

Not that I wasn't aware of that....I wanted my primary focus on this program to be about addressing them, I just haven't had this part come up yet. I think since the newness of the W30 has worn off, and I'm not completely consumed, thoughts and actions, with the food prep, I'm seeing other issues come to the surface.  This is a good thing...It's just a new chapter for me. 

I was reading thru other forums, and it's interesting the different struggles others are/were having with being compliant.  It's a no brainer for me. I'm not eating noncompliant foods, and I'm following the rules(the big one people are breaking is weighing themselves).

I think in a  pretty much "right/wrong" way, and this W30 philosophy is a great opportunity for me to change that, hence, change my relationship with food.  I knew a few days into the first 30 days, it would take more than 30 days to change.  I think I'm in the thick of it now ladies! 

After 2 busy days off, I'm relaxing today.(I work 3, 12hr shifts, so every other week, I have 3 days off)  Might go to the store this evening, but no serious shopping, just some veggies to get me thru the next 2 days at work. 

I just plugged-in Pirates of The Caribbean and will let myself relax for a little bit! B) Nothing like a little Johnny Depp and pirate action for a relaxing time!

• Administrators

It's been super quiet on this thread, I was sort of wondering how everyone was doing!  I'm on Day 46 of my 100 and thinking it is a HUGE chunk of time to have bitten off, seems crazy more days than not. But I'm keeping on!  :)

Hi Ladyshanny- yes, it's quiet on here for sure.  I'm trying to keep in-touch so I don't get back into my old funk/frame of mind....

I think your committment to 100 days is admirable, don't forget why you took on this challange.  Sure, we start to question our motives, but you KNOW you're doing something good for yourself. 

I'm at work, gotta go, just want you to know I'm here with  you!!

Hi Ladies, 

I'm really sorry I haven't kept up on here.  I am on day 50 or so - I've lost track.  I haven't read any of the posts - and will catch up. 

But I honestly want to share such  an amazing meal I made tonight - it was such a nice change from a lot of things I've been eating.  

I used this recipe to make Cream of mushroom soup 

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/03/22/cream-of-mushroom-soup-scd-paleo-vegan-option/   (only I omitted the wine and I added red peppers at the beginning and make sure you use enough thyme and salt and pepper)

Separately I sauteed leftover roast chicken with asparagus and sauteed it in dijon mustard and coconut aminos with some salt.  I added the whole thing together at the end for the worlds best cream of mushroom soup I've ever had.  SO GOOD!!!  

Also - I've lost 15lbs total, my joints don't hurt at all in the morning, I haven't had a headache in weeks, I've almost completely quit losing hair in the shower, my skin is better than it's been in years....I can't believe how great I feel.  

What day is it? Day 50? I stopped keeping track... Pretty sure September 8th was the first day of the rest of my life. I really don't think I'm going to back bread, pasta, dairy, or sugar of any sort.

Made a trip to Des Moines this weekend for my niece's 11th birthday party and stopped at Trader Joe's, Penzey's Spices, and Whole Foods. I was finally able to get a few things that I have been searching for for the last 50 days... fish sauce, tessamae's salad dressing just to name a few. Yippee! Can't wait to make some amazing recipes with these things!

We had hamburgers and green beans for lunch. For dinner, the menu was pizza, chips, and fruit. Oh Lord, help me. I brought compliant chicken apple sausages that my brother graciously grilled for me and a sweet potato and an apple. No cake or ice cream for me and I did NOT feel deprived. At all.

Weekend bonus was that my sister in law sent me home with 5 small butternut squashes. I don't even know how to make them. :huh:

Last night I made a double batch of chocolate chili which will be joining my large batch of carnitas in the freezer. I love both of these for quick meals when I don't have time or feel like cooking!

Hope you all are doing fantastic!

Archived