September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Itaylor9597 & booksandcoffee, thanks for your encouragement.  I'm going to try and take your advice and just enjoy the night without blowing my Whole 30 promise.  

Phantomweb, I think it says in the "Can I have this" section of the forum that Kombucha is fine. It specifically mentioned GT's too. I believe it said it's okay if the sugar is added before fermentation as it will get eaten up in the process.  Just avoid anything with added sugar later. (not sure how you can tell that one on a label, btw.)

For all of the coffee drinkers - When I was reading around this website, there were some recommendations of Whole 30 compliant foods or brands. One was Choffy, which I had never heard of. It's an antioxidant rich hot beverage made from roasting Cacao beans like you would coffee beans. 100% whole cacao beans is all that's in there. I bought a different brand because it's all that was available at my local Whole Foods. I think it's called Criu Brew.  It smells like chocolate!  It tastes NOT like hot chocolate at all, and not like coffee. It's a unique beverage. But I actually like it. I am enjoying the warm beverage, love the chocolatey smell and it tastes thinner than coffee with a "baker's chocolate" flavor.  Definitely not sweet, but worth a try. Whole Foods takes returns if you don't like a product.

Enjoy lunch, everyone!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LibbyHunter, I agree with everyone. Hang in there! There will always be reasons to tempt you to quit or delay. Remember the reason you committed.

I too had a headache today and my muscles felt really sore this morning. I did not want to get out of bed, but I did. No quitting coffee for me right yet. It is keeping me functional. But perhaps down the road...

I am attacked with the urge to snack as well. I think my body is trying to get used to no sugar and wheat so it is trying to ramp up the calories to compensate? I'm allowing myself small snacks until I can adjust, for the safety of those around me. Lol

I've learnt to deal with social occasions over the years (I have aspergers and as a teenager I used to hide in corners at parties...yes, I know! Plus I am a psychologist by training). And one thing I do know is that the majority of people aren't really that bothered what anyone else does, just that nothing affects their night. Not that they don't want to be with you but more that they are focused on themselves and things that impact on them. And anyone who does really care enough to worry won't be upset if you need to not drink (or hide on the stairs with the cat for a bit) x

Today has been hard. Yesterday I was around the house all day so had plenty of time to prepare meals but today I had a lot of errands and appointments and it was tough. I woke up extremely tired (we had a really loud thunderstorm from about 5a-7a so I didn't sleep to great) with lots of sinus pressure around my eye, a really bad sinus headache and a runny nose. My husband made me some coffee (which I drink black so I have no plans to get rid of it ;) ) and I managed to {reluctantly} get out of bed.

For breakfast I scrambled three eggs along with some onions, multi-colored bell peppers, and broccoli.

I had a commitment from 9a-11:15a and then had to run to the grocery store for a couple things for tonight. We have friends coming over and I needed to hurry and get home to have the pork going in the crock pot for tonight's dinner. By the time I get dinner going, I only had about 20 minutes to prepare and eat lunch before running out the door again to make it to a 1pm appointment.

So, for lunch, I ended up grabbing some leftover salmon from last night and putting it on top of a bed of mixed greens and baby spinach along with some capers, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper, and lemon juice. I finished that off and was still hungry so I finished lunch off with a banana. I usually try to avoid bananas since they make my throat itch but it was the easiest thing I could grab and take along with me that was compliant.

I am back home now and can smell the deliciousness coming from my crock pot. Looking forward to tonight and some great carnitas "tacos".

Oh- I am definitely not drinking enough water today. Really bad headache has continued throughout the day along with just feeling tired.

Hi Everyone,

Had a good day today just about to have some chicken that i made in the crockpot yesterday with lots of veggies and then a nice long bath and off to bed. I felt sort of wired last nite and did not sleep that well.

Britishgal---What about chili for breakfast? I was thinking of making a chicken salad with apples and nuts for my first meal.

Kendall--never had a Larabar guess I should not start now lol

Books and coffee---do you have coffee all day? I love my morning cup but then I'am done.

Laxmom----Never got into tea except that Detox tea tastes like licorice yum

Jordanbrook----maybe you need to drink more water

Thomas ----welcome glad you joined us !

Itaylor---Rosted veggies sound good for breakfast I will give that a try

Well goodnite all see you tomorrow

Msquoted - this plan does require a bit of advanced planning for those very busy days.. I sure am seeing this as well, but it looks like you handled it very well.

Day 3 for me was pretty good. My headache was a little less than yesterday and the pain in my back is improving. I keep reminding myself that the health benefits are really what I am doing this for. I am sure that weight will come off as well because I am eating quite a bit less than I have been known to do. Also I want to break my snacking habit for when I am stressed.

today I had eggs with mushrooms, onions and spinach sautéed in a little ghee for breakfast along with 1/3 avocado. It was very filling and satisfying. Lunch was a vegetable soup I made with shredded chicken. I did snack a bit today although all exceptible choices, it is that habit I want to break. But my appointments today got funky on the times. Anyway - no excuses! Dinner was outstanding! I sautéed zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and oregano in coconut oil and added shrimp. Then I had this over a small baked potato. It was so good! Whole family loved it (although their potatoes had butter and sour cream).

I know I have a little of the crab flu, but honestly I am loving this program. I like getting away from processed foods. I actually feel much better than I was expecting to feel after day 3. I am overcoming a long history of poor habits of eating fat free and low fat foods and then eating fast food because I was too tired to cook.

Checking in later than yesterday.... Not a great day but it wasn't awful either. Started off with sautéed summer squash and zucchini and an egg over leftover pot roast from last night. Very tasty! Oh, and I had my coffee with a 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Got to work a little early so I hauled my booty up 5 flights of stairs... A new first for me!! Come to think of it, I avoided the elevator all day! Unfortunately, I didn't get lunch today. :( the good news is, I didn't feel hungry until around 1:30. The bad news is I settled for 1/2 cup of fresh fruit and a handful of cashews as my "lunch" when I finally made my way to my desk at 4pm. For dinner, just sautéed red cabbage and brussel sprouts in coconut oil and threw in my favorite aidell's chicken apple sausages and this is hitting the spot for me. So delicious! Working on getting 120 ounces of water in today.

Booksandcoffee, I ordered choffy off amazon and it's on its way. I'll still be drinking it with my coconut milk probably but I was looking for a way to decrease my caffeine intake. I'll let you all know how it tastes when it finally arrives!

Great job everyone! Keep up the great work!

Jill

Congrats everyone on a great day 2 :) little by little we'll shave them all away! 

Thank you guys for the advice on coffee. I drink 2 cups a day, one every morning (the most important one), and one in the afternoon, usually post lunch. I'm probably just used to being sleepy after lunch, which might not be so anymore. I will try giving up the afternoon one first. Curious about choffy! 

I'm going to bed now and aiming for 9h of sleep... is it possible? We will see!!

I also want to throw out there that I am incredibly impressed with all of you who do this with children. It makes me feel like I have no excuse at all. 

Hi all,

Day 2 went alright for me. I had some nomnom paleo egg muffins for breakfast with a few grapes.

Lunch was a near disaster, as work got hectic. I had packed tuna with arugula but ended up out of the office without my lunch bag. Fortunately, I had my emergency kit of a Larabar and some nuts. I realize it is not an ideal lunch by any means, but I am happy with myself for planning ahead enough to keep on plan even when things are crazy.

Dinner was back on plan with steak, asparagus and some hash browns.

I have a question for everyone. How do you increase your veggie consumption? I feel like I can only eat so many veggies. Does anyone have any fabulous recipes that will magically make me love veggie side dishes more?

Lol. I heard my 7 yr old daughter say "oh no. mommy is on her diet. That means more asparagus and garbanzo beans" (I never buy garbanzo beans). It is hard. I let them have their typical foods all day, except they pretty much have to eat what I make for dinner. Sometimes I'll add a carb for them. I'm trying to introduce healthier eating one step at a time. It's hard in a world where fruit snacks are easier and tastier than real fruit. And finding prep time can be difficult, but worth it in the long run.

I tend to add my veggies in with my protein. For instance, last night, I made onions and mushrooms with garlic and ghee. Then I put them over the chicken breast. So each bite of chicken also got veggies.

For tonight, I made a stir fry of zucchini, tomatoe and shrimp.

I also made a veggie soup with lots of veggies and crushed tomatoes and spices. A large bowl of that gets in a few servings.

I have an athletic 12 year old girl. Not having her follow this completely at the moment because she has travel team tryouts this weekend for next Summer's lacrosse. (She was on the team this past Summer). That is what my name stands for. Her number was 63 this past season.

Thankfully she likes having some healthy meals. I just make her lunch different and she manages breakfast.

She just has to have pretty much the same dinner as me, but she knows that if she does not like it, then, she can make herself something different!

I also take care of my mother with dementia. She goes to a daycare 6 days a week. So, I make her lunch as well.

Lastly I have a special needs dog that has a condition that needs special food prepared. Just use to making different things for the family!

Oh wow laxmom you have your hands full. It's great that you're setting a healthy example at home. I like the name, I had just assumed you were from LA. Though I don't know why you would name yourself after the airport.. Lol

PuffinsMuffins: I like to make purée type things with veggies. Mashed cauliflower, or spinach puree. Also roasted veggies, mostly brocoli and Brussel sprouts. I can only do so many salads.

I love reading about everyone's days and lives!  

I completely join with booksandcoffee's comment about being impressed by the people who do this with kids. 

Today was much better for me than yesterday.  I tried to mix up my breakfast with an apple/sweetpotato mix sautéed in ghee/cinnamon with raisins.  Maybe my pre-roasted sweet potatoes were over-cooked, but I was not feeling it.  I had to force myself to eat sweet potatoes, definitely gravitated towards the apples, hahah.  But I could tell I was hungrier than I was yesterday and had a hard boiled egg as a snack.  I guess I need more protein in the am.  I was pretty aggravated in the morning too.  My courthouse has the worst parking lot in the history of parking lots and I have often been frustrated by the stupidity of people in that parking lot.  It was real bad this morning.  Real bad.

I was invited to lunch by a friend.  I was going to bail and eat my crock pot soup in the office, but decided to take it on the road.  I felt a little weird in the thai restaurant with my thermos, but no one caused a stink and I stayed on plan.  Plus I had some nice green tea.

Dinner was simple and delicious.  Shrimp ceviche with lime, tomatoes and avocados.  That will also be another staple.  Yum!

I have a happy hour tomorrow.  I have been pretty vocal about my participation on the Whole30 so I know I won't really have to explain my choices to people but  it'll be new to be at happy hour without wine and snacks.  Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to make it more appealing?  I was thinking ordering "fancy" sparkling water with lime and maybe bringing nuts...

Good job everyone!  

I just woke up on day 3 and I'm as tired as I was last night ;( Really cannot be arsed thinking about food so I'm going to have chilli in lettuce again

At least it'll wake me up!

I told my 6 year old we are eating better so he can grow up really tall and strong and fulfill his dream of becoming a knight (or a ninja depending on the day) ;)

he eats school lunches (gross but free at his age and he loves eating them with his friends) and he doesn't eat paleo at his dad's (he lives with his parents, 2 retired Hong Kong chefs, so that was never going to happen and they eat pretty well any way) but at home he eats home cooked paleo meals with fruit for snacks and cartons of real fruit juice. Healthier but not perfect.

I got through day 2 without killing anyone. And I even got in a 40 mins work out after work :o

This morning I'm a little tired and have a little headache, nothing major.

Yesterday I lived off my slowcooker thai chicken curry, and will have more for lunch today. It's really good and I love leftovers. Tonight we'll be having steaks, nice big juicy grass fed rib eye steaks... *drool*

Happy day 3 everyone! !

This morning has been ROUGH.  My workout was maybe the worst I've had since I began 8 weeks ago with a personal trainer, but I know they say that's normal.  I was feeling nauseous this morning before workout, so I saved my frittata mini muffins for after.  Feeling REALLY tired and will probably take a mini-nap on my lunch break!

kristinmarta - do you have a recipe for that yummy-sounding ceviche or was it just kind of toss-it-together?  Also, before I began drinking alcohol (only two years ago when I got married!) I always just ordered a seltzer or sparkling water with lime/lemon and it was always nice to have something in my hand to keep questions at bay. I now do the same thing (as I did at my book club last night) but find that having a "drink" in my hand to sip made me miss my red wine less.  I think it's just mentally better to have something to sip on.  Nuts are a good idea, too.  Last night, there was nothing "legal" at book club, so I just made sure to eat a hearty dinner beforehand and while I'd have loved to eat a cookie, I definitely wasn't hungry so it wasn't as tempting. :)

Good morning, folks!  I am on day 4 as I could not wait to start and jumped the gun on Sunday!  Feeling some effects of what I think must be the carb flu.  But it is not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I guess my diet previously was not as bad as I assumed. 

Ate the same thing as I did, yesterday, but today I felt a little sick afterwards.  Have a meeting with an outplacement service (job was relocated out of state) today which will muck up the lunch timing.  Especially since I wanted to swing by Trader Joe's (it is not near my house, but not too far from the outplacement company) after my meeting.  Also swinging by my favorite Asian grocery store.  Picking up my daughter's favorite steamed buns for her and my mother's dinner.  I get a very nice steak with sautéed spinach for my dinner - (I think they are going to be jealous! LOL)

So I packed some roast beef spread with avocado and wrapped around a carrot for a light lunch/snack.  Also packed a sliced apple and some nuts (limited to one serving) and a bottle of water.  I will have this after the meeting and before hitting the store. 

My personal goal is to minimize snacking and to eliminate eating after dinner.  Last night I enjoyed a cup of green tea after dinner to curb the munchies habit.  The only problem with that was that I was up every 2 hours all night long - maybe that is the fat flushing from my body... one can only hope! 

Have a great day!

So I've made it through 2 days so far but not as successfully as I have wanted to.  I have not had time to cook like I had planned (kids, work, life) but I did work out both days.  I have not eaten anything off plan but I am not eating as many vegetables as I am supposed to. My biggest issue is lack of food enjoyment.  I had the czech meatballs from Well fed both nights and a salad both days for lunch (eh) but breakfast is killing me (I may like eggs over some really good shredded meat but I haven't done that yet).  I'm hoping to go home tonight and do some real food prep (like curried cream of broccoli soup).  I bought a ton of veggies yesterday (there is no room in my fridge).

any ideas for things that taste really good?  I have shredded brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, butternut squash.  I also feel I will get sick of avocado and cauliflower very soon

I had a bad headache yesterday and was very sleepy but so far today I feel good.

Hi all! Finished yesterday up seamlessly. Got home and just had to warm up a few bowls of chili and we were good to go for dinner. Got my lunch (leftover chili) and breakfast (beef hash with olives and an apple) prepped so it was just grab and go out the door today.  Tonight is a crock pot night - pork loin with potatoes and carrots. Will have a side of green beans with it. 

My kids are kind of a mixed bag with what they eat. We don't tend to buy much junk to begin with, so, they pretty much are forced to eat healthy when they are home. Snacks are veggies and hummus, greek yogurt, unsweetened applesauce or a variety of fruit. We don't have chips, cookies, fruit snacks, granola bars or any of that stuff for them to grab. We may buy it occasionally as a treat, but, it isn't a staple. At dinner everybody pretty much eats the same. There are very few things that I really change for them. I don't tend to plan a lot of meals that have pasta or rice any more. Taco night they do get shells for their tacos or burritos and I just have a taco salad. Spaghetti night they do get spaghetti while I have spaghetti squash. Other than those two nights they pretty much eat whatever I am eating. Lunches are a mix of buying at school and packing from home. My daughter is far more apt to pack her lunch than to buy. My oldest boy has suddenly become interested in eating healthy (he has a perfectly healthy build, but, is trying to be proactive) and has stated he wants to start bringing stuff from home. My youngest boy has no desire to pack his lunch and would rather buy. I don't worry too much about that though since the kid eats the heck out of fruits and veggies when he is home. Seriously, I just open the fridge to pull out a red pepper and he is there asking if he can have some. All in all, they do pretty good.

Back to work I go! Have great days everyone.

jordanbrook- my "ceviche" was so easy to make.  I defrosted frozen cooked shrimp.  Cut those puppies up and added avocado and tomato.  Topped it all off with juice from half a lime.  It's just what I had around but it was super yummy.  

I like your idea of a sparkling water.  I might be really decadent and bring some cut apples and almond butter, hahah.  I know I am working on changing my food habits, but happy hour has always been a treat.  So I want to still "reward" myself someway.  At least in this beginning part while I am still adjusting.

Good luck on Day 3 everyone!

• Administrators

PuffinsMuffins ~ I put veggies into breakfast in order to start the day off right and keep with a veggie theme.  I do a veggie sautee w/ some type of cooked meat and then top with eggs.  I find that when I change up the veggies & seasonings every few days it doesn't get stale. (I've been doing this basic breakfast for almost a year now)

My favourite right now is sautéing shredded cabbage (for even quicker prep, use bagged coleslaw), chopped green beans, diced peppers, sliced turkey burgers and then throwing swiss chard in at the end to wilt. I season with whatever blows my hair back that morning (Well Fed Sunrise Spice, Well Fed Jerk Seasoning, Costco's Everyday seasoning or just S,P, ground ginger & garlic powder). Top with 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how much meat I used) & a tbsp mayo.  It's a super fast and veggie dense breakfast that lasts me for about 5 hours.  I usually end up with about 2.5 - 3 cups of food on my plate, mostly veg.  It always seems like an excessive amount of food but as far as I'm concerned, it fits the template and my body!

Guys, haven't read through everything yet but I'm off to a bad start today. Slept through the alarm and ran out of the house, so breakfast was 2 hard boiled eggs I had in the fridge, and coffee w coconut milk. Missing my veggies. Then my coworker (kindly) brought the biggest bag of fresh bagels and it took everything I had not to take one! But I held strong. I'm ready for lunch now.

I look forward to reading all the posts later today!

Archived