September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Administrators

They use sunflower oil to cook the carnitas.  That is a limited oil/butter/seed but still allowed on the whole30.  Everything else is fine.  I guess I am safe.  But interesting to know.  It took me out for a good 3 hours after I got home from work.  I had to take a nap.  And I still have a faint headache.  Probably won't be going back.  

It's always possible that even thought sunflower oil is technically approved for Whole30 when eating out...that YOU in particular are sensitive to it? It's probably not something you ever cook with at home and now that Whole30 is calming your body, maybe it's one of the things that could be a problem for you?  Just a thought..............

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Saturday seems to be going really well so far....but it's not Happy Hour yet so I haven't really been "tested" yet. ;)

Did feel super wonky this morning after breakfast.  Had a hard boiled egg, some mayo and an apple and then took my dog down to the beach (I wanted to get there before the other 7 zillion dogs so chose not to eat first).  Felt totally fine.  Came home and had a big veggie skillet w/ green beans, swiss chard, cabbage, ground beef and 2 eggs with some mayo on the side...felt fine.....and then went to run errands and started to feel really wonky.  Like my head was buzzy and my arms were weak and all I wanted to do was lay flat on my back.  It's passed now but it was super strange! I thought maybe due to delaying breakfast but the snack was a template snack and I didn't feel badly until some time after my full breakfast.  Strange.

Good point, ladyshanny.  Maybe my body is not a big fan of sunflower oil.

Today was fine.  I feel like I am already slipping into lazy habits round the whole30.  I have certain go-to meals/snacks and I am recycling those a lot.  Even in the past few days.  I am going shopping tomorrow.  I need to mix it up a little.

My mood is still really low.  No motivation to do anything.  All I was supposed to do today was pick up my shoes from the repair shop and buy more cat food.  I did neither.  Instead I took naps on and off all day.  Which kinda lines up to the timeline but I still felt pretty useless.  During one nap I dreamt that I was eating a sandwich on a little crusty baguette.  And then I realized it wasn't allowed on the whole 30 and I had a meltdown.

Going out to dinner (sashimi) and a play with a friend.  Onward to Day 7.  

Good job, everyone!

Oh my goodness, the dreams....

I am having the strangest most vivid dreams.

Last night I dreamed that I was trying to teach my kids to fish, but their lines kept getting tangled and fish kept biting my line instead. When I caught the fish I would look around and ask random people "Can I eat this?" Lol

I've been doing well, but it feels like fall tonight and I can smell bonfires outside, making me wish I could sit out by our fire pit with a Redds Strawberry Ale. But it's not worth it. Keep strong everyone!

Today was my day 7 (couldn't wait till Monday to start). I was pretty tired, yesterday. However today I got through everything I needed to do and am not wiped out. Feels strange... Ha Ha.

The cravings that I do get are pretty fleeting - which is strange because before when I got cravings, they are wicked. Must have been related to sugar crashes. Without the spikes and dips in my blood sugar, my desire to eat like I did is kind of going away. Boy, I sure hope this continues.

Looking through some recipes to change up the menu. I think that has been the one thing for me that is making this easier than I expected. I am making real meals and trying things that I would order in restaurants. This is making meal time more of a pleasure. I just wish I could have a day off from the dishes!

Jordanbrook - I am!

Jill P - so glad it worked out! It's a nifty little trick  :)

Kristinmarta - I already sense a change in your mood for the better! Enjoy sashimi... I'm jealous. I'm having tuna and salad for dinner 

The dreams are crazy. I dreamt I mindlessly ate every candy in a bowl of candy at work, then was angry at myself and feeling so guilty. It took me a good 10 minutes when I woke up to get rid of the guilt! The same night my husband dreamt he was breaking his whole30.. strange. Today we were dragging our feet around the house and couldn't understand why we were so tired. Finally he suggested we look at the timeline... then saw   Days 6-7: I just want a nap… big aha moment.

Laxmom- I know, so many dishes! They go on forever. 

​Good job guys :) almost on to week 2! 

Super late post tonight... Did not have a very good template day but kept things whole30 compliant regardless.

Breakfast on the go at 7am for the 4.5 hour trek to Chicago: choffy with coconut milk, a banana and a few blueberries. Stomach was not awake before we left.

Lunch: chipotle carnitas salad bowl with my sister in laws homemade guac and some cucumbers cut into chips. Mmm... Yum!

Dinner: was delayed when my brother's water heater decided to start flooding the basement when my son was in the shower. 30 sopping wet towels later (they have a finished basement), I ended up with some chocolate chili which my son proceeded to eat half of because it was yummier than his left over Mac and cheese.

Didn't get all my water today and I can tell. :(

Tomorrow we're going to swing through trader joes then homeward bound for another 4.5 hour drive. It's trips like these that I wish my son was old enough to drive.

Good night all!

Jilll

I woke up this morning and discovered that my dry hands are no longer peeling and my face has no dry patches except a teeny tiny one that I will ignore for now! Plus my nails, which I painted dark on Tuesday, are strong and unchipped. I know it doesn't seem much but I'm really happy ;)

My son is at his father's today and I have no set out of home plans so I'm putting off painting my bedroom floor in favour of mapping, reading and listening to some new favourite music. I cooked lots on Friday so a day off, especially as I am overwhelmingly shattered, is needed.

Bliss ;)

I forced myself to go for a run this morning.  I couldn't get up with my alarm at 6 so I didn't get out there until closer to 8.  I reminded myself to eat some protein beforehand.  The first 2.5 miles felt really strong and then I quickly lost all my fuel.  I tanked by mile 3.  But I made the mistake of running out on a straight course, so I basically had to walk 3 miles back to my car.  I am exhausted.  I was almost too tired to grocery shop.  Major crash coming on.

What have been your experiences with exercising?

Right now, oddly, I really really want my Nanna's cheese pie. She died when I was 7 so it's 32 years since I ate it and I've almost completely forgotten how it tastes but I want one this minute ;)

I haven't exercised at all Kristinmarta...far too tired! Though I don't drive so I do walk everywhere. I intend to start real exercise (gym and ballet at home) again this week and see how I go but I keep telling myself my body is busy so doesn't need me taking it too far (could be an excuse though ;)

I am impressed by you all exercising! I am building up to pilates. Part of the reason I decided to do this is to see if it would improve some of my autoimmune joint issues. Previously, when I tried to excercise, I would have a flare up, have to quit the excercise and get to limp for weeks as a bonus. Literally, before when I climbed the stairs, my knees would make grinding, creaking and cracking noises. (And I am only 32, so....) The noises seemed to have stopped... So I am hopeful!

I am relieved to hear other folks struggled to keep on template today. I feel like I definitely could have had more vegetables today.

For breakfast/lunch, I had a sweet potato, apple and onion hash with two eggs.

For a late lunch/snack, I had a few deviled eggs made with homemade mayo.

For dinner, I have a beef stew I have simmered in the crock pot all day. It does have celery, onions, mushrooms and carrots. However, I think I am going to make a cucumber salad to go along with it because I am feeling a bit guilty.

I had a tiny, tiny taste of yogurt today because I needed to check if it was still good before my daughter ate it. It literally was the touch of my finger to my tongue, so maybe 1/20th of a tsp. I even spit it out after so I did not swallow that tiny amount. However, I feel like I "cheated."

Is anyone else feeling guilt for not doing the Whole 30th well enough? I have been perfectly compliant (other than my afore mentioned drop of yogurt) but I feel like I should be doing more or somehow better.

I want to start exercising, but thought I would wait a little into this program before I did that. I plan to get some, tomorrow as I am ready.

My carb flu has not been near what some of you have described. I think this might be related to the fact that I kind of eased int starting this plan. Was getting excited about trying this, so I had been eating less carbs and sugar during the end of the week before I started. I spent a few days getting everything I needed to kick start this.

I have been a bit low on the veggies yesterday and today. When I really count them out, it is close to the minimum, but I know I can do better. I need to pre cook some so they are ready and easy for breakfast.

However, I have not be every hungry, so it works out fine. Looking at some meal plans for this week. Need to keep the variety and flavor.

Hey Everyone!

I can't believe today already marks the end of the first week. This is the first week in a 30 day journey for some and others who will be going beyond, but it's an important journey nonetheless.  My pitfall of the week includes my lack of meal prep prior to starting last Monday. I struggled and made it through the week, but I'm going to be conscientious going forward to have items available at all times to eat because cooking 3 meals daily is not an option with my schedule. I work 24 hours within the next two days, so I planned ahead by making lunch and dinner for both days. I didn't reach my goal to make two new recipes this week , but I am ready to dig into my Well Fed 2 cookbook  try out new foods. I hope everyone is well. I'm feeling the difference already in my clothes and in how my skin looks. It's unbelievable how the Paleo diet nurtures and changes your hormones with time.

Hi guys! I'm feeling discouraged at not having seen any results, really.  No difference in skin or weight (other than the horrible bloating most of the time) and I don't have bad cravings, but I still think about how sad I am that I can't have bread, wine or cheese.  I'm still giving it my all until day 30, but I was hoping for some small signs that this is somehow working for me and feeling really down that is isn't so far.  I know one week is a short time to ask for changes, but I didn't feel like it was unrealistic to expect SOMETHING when most other people seem to be experiencing them.  I have obeyed the letter and spirit of the plan perfectly, so I don't know what else to do.  I go to the gym for cardio five days a week and on three of those days I also have a personal trainer.  Still - nothing.  I'm feeling hopeless and sad right now.  Need some kind of renewed belief in this plan as I'm feeling like it's everything else I've tried over the past couple decades.

On a separate - more practical - note, I've been cooking a lot with coconut milk, but I've never used canned coconut milk before.  Am I supposed to use the watery stuff or just the cream in recipes that call for coconut milk?  And can I use the watery stuff for anything??

Jordanbrook...this is my second whole30 and I really didn't notice many signs until after my first one. All the way on the first one I felt deprived and tired and generally pish ;(

This time I think I'm noticing more changes earlier because whilst I did add things in after last ttime I never really went back to my terrible eating 100%. I never started drinking diet coke again (4-5 cans daily pre first whole30) or eating chocolate or pasta or biscuits on a regular basis. I think I'm noticing nice things now because this time round my body has had far less healing to do.

Hang in there...it is so worth it!! X

Jordanbrook -

Hang in there. I am reading on this board that there are several others also feeling the way you are.  Check out the Whole 30 timeline on whole30.com.  It walks you through what you can expect during the process. 

It actually seems like you are spot on at the moment.  

Please take a look at the ingredients in the coconut milk you are using.  In my trip to the supermarkets, I have only found coconut milk beverage in the boxes and 100% coconut milk is found in the cans.  The ingredients should only be coconut and water - nothing else. 

Watch out because according to the timeline - the wicked cravings are to hit this week.  Keep strong!

Laxmom63 - I know you're right!  And I'm 100% committed to the 30 days.  But in order to go to 45 or 60 (which I am prepared for!) I feel like I will want to see some real - if minor - changes to motivate me to push farther. :)  But this forum (and all you awesome people) make it SO much easier!

Jordan, for what it is worth, while I have seen some skin results, I am MASSIVELY bloated as well.  Like, I am sitting here in a skirt at work wishing I wore a muumuu or something without a waist band. 

I also have been following the plan as closely as I can, so I think this may just be the timeline at work.  Also, I think this is why they tell us not to weigh or take measurements.  I KNOW mine would be ugly and discouraging if I did it today.

Archived