September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Instead of giving up caffeine, I choose to switch from coffee to tea. I need my coffee creamy and I have to admit that over the past 5 years I have even taken to adding sugary creamers to my coffee. But for some reason, I don't end sugar or creamer in tea. So I still have my hot beverage in the morning. The caffeine is less, but it is not the full withdrawal.

I also experienced caffeine in the past and it was not pretty. I was drinking a ton of coffee and diet coke in college and when I came home I went on this radical liquid diet and caffeine was not allowed. 3 very painful days of headaches. Then told my doctor that I gave up caffeine and his response was that with my asthma, that is the last thing I should do... LOL. So now I just switch between coffee and tea.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me today is day 3 . I don't know if my runny nose is the carb flu or allergies, although I have been taking my allergy mess at night cause tis the season!

Actually doing ok the plan. Making sure I am having the correct amount of healthy fats is making a big difference in not getting hungry too quickly. I have chosen to limit my potato intake to every other day. Just not feeling the need for carbs as I thought I would. What I am craving is Dairy and mindless eating. This is good for me.

This morning I took some leftover sautéed mushroom and onions from last night, added some spinach and scrambled in with my eggs. Then had a third of an avocado on the side. It was so good and tasty!

Day one overall was good for me - wasn't hungry throughout the day and got all the recommended portions in.  However - at the end of the day right before bed, I got a horrible headache and woke up with it again this morning.  I'm guessing it's sugar withdrawal?  What do you guys think?  I'm prone to migraines (part of the reason I'm doing this) so I'm worried it's going to turn into one.  Anyone have advice on how to cope?

Morning all! Great Day 1 yesterday! Was nice to have a full day totally on plan for a change. Dinner has really been the thing that has gotten out of hand so it felt great to have that under control. I spent last night playing catch up for being sick over the weekend. Roasted two pans of root veggies and potatoes and fixed a pot of chocolate chili for dinner tonight. 

Breakfast was my old standby of roasted root veggies, chicken sausage, a handful of raw cashews and an orange.  Lunch will be steamed chicken with steamed veggies, melon and some olives. Dinner will be a nice bowl of the chocolate chili.

As for giving up coffee - nope, not gonna happen. Gave it up three times cold turkey when I got pregnant with each of my kids. I immensely enjoy my two cups a day. It is part of my ritual. I gave up sweetener and creamer in it a long time ago and drink it strong and black.

I feel for all of you dealing with carb flu. I had that bad my first time through. This round I got attacked by a cold the end of last week, so, probably won't notice much difference to know if it does or doesn't happen this round!  Hang in there. It will get better. 

Feeling good!  Keep up the great work everyone!

Good morning everyone!  Day 2 and still on plan. Feeling pretty good so far, but I'm sure the tiredness and grumpiness will set in soon. I really hope these first two weeks fly by quickly!

As for the question on coffee, I have given it up in the past, but have done it gradually. I'm currently mixing my own half caff/half decaf and drinking two cups in the morning (fortunately, I've always drank my coffee straight black so that wasn't an adjustment!). Might be something to try for anyone looking to give up coffee in the morning and not go cold turkey.   :)

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks for the kind words, msquoted & books&coffee! 

On to Day 2.  My headache/sore throat would just not quit yesterday and I ended up going to bed at about 8:30, hah.  I gargled with some tea tree oil and my sore throat seems to be gone this morning.  I am just really foggy and really don't want to go to work.  Maybe some black coffee will help, hahah.  Even just psychosomatically.

I am going to have sweet potato with ghee/cinnamon for breakfast.  Probably an egg on the side.

I have my crockpot soup for lunch.  That looks awesome.  It's a pinterest recipe with chicken breast, diced tomatoes, spinach, coconut milk, chicken broth and italian spices.  Yum.

Last night I had a deconstructed taco- ground beef with onion (sprinkled with cayenne and chili powder).  bell peppers, tomatoes and avocado.  All served on a bed of lettuce.  It was quite good and I know it'll be a standby during the Whole30.

Good luck on Day 2 everyone!

I'm on day 4!  I was tired yesterday afternoon, but otherwise have felt actually more rested and energetic. Probably because i have slept much better than usual these last few days.  I completely quit caffeine at the same time, which I thought would be a nightmare. I was having 4 espressos in the morning and a couple of regular coffees throughout the day! Yikes!  Now having detox or caffeine free tea and somehow feeling fine! What?!  I had headaches on day 2 or 3 from withdrawal, but just for a day.

I am doing a mix of cooked food and food I ordered from Premade Paleo.com. If you are too busy to cook, I highly recommend them.  Food is very good, and reasonably prices for organic, pastured, grass fed stuff shipped to your door.  

I'm trying to stop eating so many nuts as snacks. I'm afraid that's going to backfire big time!

I totally feel those of you who accidentally put the wrong food in your mouth and spit it out. I was super bummed when I realized the salad roll sushi I bought this weekend was wrapped in rice paper dough. I pealed it off of all the pieces except the one I had already swallowed. Sigh.  I suppose that means I should start over from day 1...

I'm struggling with a weekend event I have planned. I bought tickets to an event to treat a friend for her birthday this weekend.  It's a wine event. I can still go and not drink of course, but am really struggling with being true to my Whole 30 promise or true to my promise to celebrate her birthday, and start day one over on Sunday which would be hard to do.  What do you guys think?

Thanks! So happy to have a support group!!!

Thanks Britishgal laxmom and Jill for the advice!  I'll think about it a little bit more (i.e. procrastinate) and maybe will make it part of my next week's goals. The delay I've had is that I haven't convinced myself that it's bad for me! But honestly, my morning doesn't feel complete without coffee, and if I don't have one I start to stress that I'll have a headache and the stress probably gives me a headache as well. So that doesn't sound like such a healthy relationship. 

Jordanbrook: I hope you the whole30 helps with your migraines! My friend had horrible ones which got better since she went paleo.. not sure if that helps. My only advice would be to make sure to stay hydrated 

Libbyhunter: If you can muster up the courage, my advice would be to power through it and stick to your plan with no wine! I went to a wedding during my last whole30 and it was somewhat painful to explain to everyone (particularly the bride, who is a close friend) that I was not drinking, but in the end they didn't really care, and I know I was grateful for sticking to it the next day. Also for me, one glass of wine is a gateway to all sorts of make-me-feel-crappy foods, which might not be your case. Of course there is no right answer and if you do decide to start again on Monday, we will be here  :D

• Administrators

Ach...I had a headache that started at 2pm yesterday (Day One) and went right through the night until around midnight when I caved and took an advil.  I totally did NOT see that coming!  Today is a bit better but still a dull ache.

Kill. All. Things.

That is all............ :angry:

lol jk. But i am in a very irritated mood today.

@JillP - I found after a week on my first whole30 i didnt want coffee anymore... even though i continued to make it and throw it away. My mind finally gave in and i realized it was the cream in my coffee i loved more than anything. I'm a big tea drinker anyway so stuck with that. Currently drinking an organic coconut chai. yum

I gave up coffee again a few weeks ago after g reintroducing it into my diet prior to a year without it. I too believe I was more in love with the sugar and cream than the benefits of the coffee itself. I've been drinking minimal tea at this point, but that change that as the weather cools off in the coming weeks. Today I'm making a lamb shanks curry recipe that I found on Nom Nom Paleo's website. I hope it turns out well. My goal is to try two new recipes a week for dinner and one for breakfast.

Ok so i followed melissa's chocolate chilli recipe with only half the chili powder and it is explosive...tastes nice but far, far too hot for me! I can't feed it to my 6 year old so I just cooked him egg and homemade French fries which he very rarely has but loves (and I didn't steal any...go me!)

I'll be buying more mince and tinned tomatoes tomorrow to water down the chili but tonight I'm going to be making lettuce "tacos" with ridiculous quantities of my guacamole to cool it all down!

Lesson learnt...I am a spicy food wuss ;)

Libbyhunter - I think what probably matters most to your friend is you are there...not so much if you are drinking. Think of it this way, if you had a medical condition and you really couldn't drink would you feel bad about not drinking at the event?  When I go to special events I try to get in the mindset of having a medical condition and that helps me for some reason. People who love and support you just enjoy your company you know?  It is definitely not easy. During my first Whole30 there were several get togethers and about 4 different birthday parties. Peer pressure on the stupid store bought cakes and ice cream was ridiculous. Eventually my family caught on and started saying "oh, that's right...you can't have that...well, can you have ____" and then they would provide something I could have. 

Kristinmarta - I LOVE taco night at our house, because I do exactly what you did. Really, fantastic. At first I thought I would truly miss the cheese and sour cream and was surprised when I didn't. What was even more interesting was when I was doing reintroductions and added cheese and sour cream to my taco salad and found it gross. Another version is fajita night - delish!!  Glad you are feeling a bit better. 

booksandcoffee - yeah, no way I could do my morning without coffee. Just not happening. :-)

ladyshanny - glad the headache is a dull roar. Hopefully it will go away in the coming days.

trimhealthymum - lol - I hear ya. For the first two weeks of my first round I was not pleasant to be around. Hopefully it isn't that way for you! When my family found out I was doing another round you could hear the collective sigh and see the eye rolls of "here we go again!" 

Hi everyone,

Day one went great.  I had my breakfast soup, then a chicken salad for lunch, and chicken and brussels sprouts for dinner.  

I am feeling okay on Day 2 now, but I also have felt a spike in anxiety and my neck feels so tight for some reason (stress, anxiety maybe?).  I am not sure how to relax it.  

I have also been having a bottle of GT's Kombucha in the morning to help with my digestive issues.  I love it and the energy it gives me.  It is 95% Kombucha and then this morning's had some blueberry juice and fresh pressed ginger juice in it also.  That's a little sugar but it's pure fruit.  In the Whole30 book it says you can optionally use some fruit juice as flavoring so I think it's ok?  Thoughts? 

I just started my first Whole30 yesterday, along with my husband.  I think this is going to be much easier for him than it is for me, and I'm the one who instigated this whole thing!  I am always dipping my food in condiments and drenching my salads in dressing, so having to cut out things that add or enhance flavor is where I see myself having trouble.  I'm waiting for my Tessemae's order of dressings and marinades to come in and I think that will help a lot.  Also having people like y'all to talk through this with will be a lifesaver!  I'm feeling great today (besides being constantly hungry it feels like) - just a tiny headache. I'm so excited to do this with other people!

• Administrators

Jill P - I definitely have this issue.......after dinner-before bed snacking.  It feels a LOT like when I quit smoking many years ago....that feeling of just needing "something" and not being able to have it.

It goes away though...and then they get further between and less intense.  I hope.  Fingers crossed!

• Administrators

Britishgal ~ That's super cute that he wants to cuddle you better!  Sounds all romantic and sweet to me (no kids here) that you'd have a warm little body to snuggle up to....but I suspect it's more like trying to snuggle an octopus that steals the blankets after it falls asleep! 

Just coming up to lunchtime here in British Columbia....have a great sleep tonight!

Archived