September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many good food suggestions!  Thanks for sharing everyone!

I'm on day 3 and still really feeling ok. I think going to bed at 9:00 each night has also helped so that I'm mostly getting 8 hours of sleep each night. 

I'm trying zucchini noodles for the first time for lunch today since my husband made spaghetti last night (with Whole 30 compliant sauce) and I had gone out to eat at Chipotle with some friends (I had a salad with the Pork, salsa, and guac). They are really good! I think I found a new favorite to replace pasta! I also just got out of a meeting where another teacher had brought miniature candy bars for a treat and actually said 'no thank you' twice. They were so tempting though! Sweets are definitely my downfall!

Hope everyone's having a good day. Keep on going strong!

Yesterday was rough...felt hungry all day and all I could do was think of about food.  I swear as I was talking to people I couldn't help but picture a giant, delicious Starbucks drink in place of their heads.

However, I felt better upon waking up today.  Still have a little bit of a headache  I think I'm needing to add more protein and veggies to my breakfast because I'm hungry for lunch at 10am.  I'm just having fresh fruit.  There's a big learning curve with this new way of eating, but slowly I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Like Kerbie, I too am struggling with the lack of food enjoyment.  Before Whole30 I always looked forward to my next meal and enjoyed them, so the lack of flavor in the things I've been making has left me less than satisfied.  I have chicken and potatoes in the crock pot and I just poured a jar of Whole30 approved salsa over the top this morning.  So I'm at least looking forward to that.  I would LOVE some suggestions for flavorful, HEARTY lunches and dinners!

• Administrators

jgoldman ~ Get friendly with the spice aisle!  An awesome combo for nearly any veggie sautee with protein in it (warm and hearty!) is S, P, cumin, garlic powder.  If you want something more "exotic", throw ginger at it.

If you can, get one or both of the Well Fed cookbooks.  They will change everything you know about food, flavour, prep, ingredient combining. I thought I was a really good cook....and then I got these books and they changed how I think, prepare and season my dishes.

The thing that bothers me most about eating this way is what I lovingly refer to as "caveman mouth". I've never flossed so much in my life and my mouth feels tacky. I fear my breath smells like road kill. I gotta remember to bring a toothbrush into work. I miss gum. Are there any compliant mints out there?

Day 3 is going pretty well so far, but I'm also surprised that I'm not feeling as bad as I thought.  I feel a little hazy, tired, and weak, but no massive headaches or shakes like I had before.  We'll see if that changes tomorrow...dun dun dunnn.

I did want to tell you guys about the almost comic temptations my fiance and I have dealt with in the last couple days.  Day 1 began with 18 Dunkin Doughnuts being set right next to me on my coworker's desk for his birthday.  Right after my first W30 meal!  Later that day, fiance's boss stopped by his desk and dropped off 5 huge chocolate chip M&M cookies for the office.  Luckily, his other co-worker was 'in the know' and snatched the cookies off his desk, lol!  

Tuesday, I was met with my coworker making the rounds and dropping dark chocolate Dove pieces on everyone's desks, and fiance's boss offers a coffee run where everyone else gets a bagel (but he doesn't drink coffee). Then the kicker...I get a lunch meeting request to go to literally one of my FAVORITE restaurants on about Day 14 of my W30.  First of all, I rarely have lunch meetings, second they have never been at this place!!  I think I may have to fake a doctor's appointment that day since it's like 8 people and it would be weird for me not to eat...

Anyway, the universe is of course conspirating but we will persevere!  It could stop with the cookies and doughnuts though...that's just uncalled for.  

Today I was called a party pooper because I didn't have any birthday cake by one of my colleagues lol. It didn't bother me and I wasn't disappointed that I couldn't eat the cake. It's funny how people think that you need to eat a certain food or drink certain drinks in order to celebrate or enjoy yourself. With my birthday coming up I told them I absolutely do not want any cake. They asked if I could eat vegan cake or sugar free cake.... I said cake is cake and I dont want any, Thank You!!

I'd much rather have steak.... at least it rhymes.

I tried to tell them what we're doing is about our relationship with food but I lost them at "i don't want. .."

Thank you guys for the kind words! 

Ladyshanny: I loved that quote! Made me laugh out loud. I will remember that bagels don't love me! This morning they really looked like they did. 

Jill: How do you make the zucchini noodles? Do you have the spiral slicer thing?

Jgoldman: I know what you mean. When I started eating like this I dreaded salads and chicken breasts. I second the spices isle suggestion. I also strongly recommend tons of nomnompaleo's recipes. I've become a much better cook (or rather, I've become a cook, period!) since I started using them. I swear now I look forward to my meals, and I'm still not a very good cook. Here are a few of my favorite: 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1670459416/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon (though now I make it without bacon)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/33574189692/easiest-roast-chicken-ever (my go-to, so easy and delicious! I don't even buy a whole chicken.. just chicken thighs which cut's out half the work. Man I'm lazy :P )

Phantommeb: the world is conspiring :(

Today started off well. I had everything planned out, but I feel that I lost the spirit of the plan, today. I only had compliant foods, but not only at defined meals.

At least I remained with whole 30 foods.

Tomorrow's plan is to stay with whole 30 foods and with the spirit of the plan.

I did put some coconut milk in my chai tea and it felt like a very indulgent treat... Will keep this in mind when I have a craving.

Is anyone having the carb or sweet craving? I am surprised that my little tweaks of a craving are exceptionally manageable. Just wondering if it may be just because it is early in the process?

Hey everybody! Day 3 and I rocked it! Woohoo!

Breakfast was sautéed red cabbage in a dab of coconut oil with 2 eggs scrambled into it with a side of monkey salad (a sliced banana with some cashews and coconut flakes). Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch was oven chicken fajitas with onions and peppers, kiwi, and some cashews.

Dinner is deconstructed tacos... Butter lettuce, compliant salsa which is more like pico, an avocado, ground beef seasoned with homemade taco seasoning, and Valentina hot sauce.

Need 20 more ounces of water to reach 100 ounces but that shouldn't be difficulty. Going to cook up a batch of the chocolate chili tonight for tomorrow and leftovers for the weekend. Plan to make a sweet potato soup on Friday night. It's starting to cool off here in Iowa so I'm in the mood for soups. :)

Heading to Chicago to babysit my 5 month old niece this weekend so I have a trip to Trader Joe's planned to stock up on a few items.

Took the stairs all day again today! Yay me! So proud of all of you for doing so well and dodging all the derailing temptations! I dodged cupcakes today. Gourmet cupcakes. Yuck. ;)

Jill

I also started on the 8th. my first time with whole 30. reading about the timeline and what to expect is somewhat surprising. are these self-fulfilling prophesies? I'm completing day 3 and feel fine so far. read that this might relate to how well/poorly our eating was prior to starting and i think my eating was fairly healthy. my biggest goal (besides weight loss and more energy) is to conquer the raging sweet craving i have every day after lunch and after dinner. is there a group of us that can stay in touch? does this forum serve that purpose? 

Hi cge45, welcome! This group serves that purpose! At least I think.. or any other purpose we need it to serve during our whole30! So far it has been helpful for support at the end of the day, and to be held accountable during the process. My goals are similar, I thought i was rid of my sugar cravings but boy was I wrong. And to answer your question, I did the whole30 once before and the timeline was surprisingly accurate. We'll see how it goes this time

On another note, I did it! I started my food log! Feel free to visit :)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the veggie suggestions. I need to just work on trying new ones. I managed to work in asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, butternut squash, spinach, avocado, onion and tomatoes today, so I guess I must be doing something right.

I did not feel ill at all today, which was a pleasant surprise. I am standing by for kill all the things. However, I keep ending up hungry right after meals. I eat as much as I feel I can but then,30 minutes later, my tummy is rumbling. Does anyone else have that issue?

I'm finding this morning (day 4) the hardest yet. Couldn't sleep last night. I never sleep well but last night I saw 4am before I fell asleep so I feel like a zombie! Add that to period cramps and a pile of other people's clothes to be mended (my own little business) I'm not a happy bunny

I'm forcing down breakfast but I really just want to curl up in bed with something forbidden ;(

I took another look at what I did, yesterday (grazing in the afternoon and then eating too large of a steak for dinner instead of more veggies) and I realised that this started with lunch. I had lunch on the run, but it was way too light on veggies. I didn't sit down at a table to eat as I was basically on the run and I didn't pack enough veggies to bring me to a satisfied position after lunch. Then I also went grocery shopping - which further triggered a desire to eat.

Although I grazed on compliant foods, I knew what I was doing was wrong as I was not letting my body adjust to burn fat.

But today, I am ready and prepared to be focused on following the plan.

Will be making braised short ribs, potatoes and veggies for dinner. Cooking in the crockpot, so as soon as I get the kid off to school and the mother off to daycare, I will focus on getting those going.

Thanks all ;)

I couldn't face lunch either today, I'd rather have eaten nothing but I heated up some courgette and mint soup and topped it with grilled Palma ham. I know soup is not totally on plan but I don't think I need to worry about getting hungry...not today. I'm planning on a baked sweet potato for dinner with chili...it'll be easy.

I went to bed with a headache and woke up not feeling so hot.  I can't yet stomach "dinner" for breakfast, maybe by next week - so I am having a compliant smoothie.  My friend came by last night with Well Fed's chocolate chili and I gave her my czech meatballs so chili will be my lunch with Nom Nom's curry broccoli soup (which I have a ton of, way more than I can ever eat).  I have to go out to dinner tonight but I picked a restaurant that can handle diet restrictions (the waiters are so nice there, I went with a gluten/dairy-free friend once) so I think I should be fine (I'll look at the menu before I go).  I'm going to make short ribs on saturday and eggplant, Rao's and compliant sausage tomorrow night.  Spending a lot of time in my new kitchen.

I do feel lighter though just crappy.

I feel weird today.  Tired.  A little big of a headache.  Nothing terrible.  But my emotions have been all over the place.  I had a really nice lunch with a coworker yesterday- just sitting and chatting.  We didn't even go anywhere.  But then I found myself really angry at happy hour.  Angry and sour.  And it wasn't necessarily because I couldn't have the wine and nachos on the table.  Then I left and felt uncontrollably sad and spinning negative thoughts about myself.  Unfortunately I tend to lean into my sad bastard tendencies- so I blasted some Elliott Smith and cried in my car on the way home.  I basically went straight to bed and slept fitfully.  I am still sad but also angry.  I don't want to deal with people.  Just the thought of seeing people seems too hard.  And since today is a conference in my legal field, I am playing hooky.  I am not burdening anyone by forcing them to cover my cases in court.  But I just can't handle going to to this conference.  I don't need the continuing education credits.  It's just not worth it.  

Part of what I am seeking relief from is my depression.  And right now it seems pretty acute.  I feel stupid for even embarking on this- what's the point?  Things never change.  I never change.  I am never good enough.  Things will always be hard for me.  I know that's the stories spinning…but it just.  sucks.

All that being said.  I am still eating compliant food.  But I am going back to bed.

Kristinmarta - first (((hugs))). Second, hang in there. Keep sticking to the plan. I was very emotional (angry, sad and lots of crying) during my first Whole30. I actually sat at dinner one night with my family and was crying as I ate my dinner because I felt like there was just no way I was going to be able to do this. I would get angry over the tiniest things. I pretty much lived the first three weeks of my first round on edge which of course, left my family on edge. The last week was when everything finally started to turn around. I finally started sleeping better, I felt better, my emotions stabilized and I finally got a dose of the tiger blood everyone had been referencing. Some people fly through the Whole30 like its nothing, some pretty much follow the timeline and then there are others that forge ahead with their own challenges and make their own path. You can do this. 

Finished my day as planned yesterday. Went to bed about half an hour later than I wanted to, but, slept like a log the whole night. Didn't even hear the crazy storms that rolled through. Breakfast and lunch will be repeats of yesterday. Dinner will be either grilled steaks or chicken with roasted broccoli and cauliflower and sauteed mushrooms and onions.

Looking forward to Friday!

Hey Kristinmarta,

I too am partially doing Whole 30 for my depression and I can relate to the hopeless thoughts you are feeling right now.  I felt those exact same things and that nagging voice still comes up when I least expect it.  Oh and the anger!  I did not go a day without feeling rage over something, no matter how ridiculous it was. I'm am truly sorry that you are feeling so sad and angry because I know how it feels for everything to suck.  

I got so bad that I finally decided to go on some mild antidepressants and I started seeing a therapist a couple of weeks ago.  Not that I am suggesting these things to you, but I will say the last month of antidepressants have helped quiet that hateful voice inside myself.  But I just want you to know that I 100% relate to you and those feelings that you are a failure and nothing will get better.

Previously doing a Whole 30, I can tell you that the last time I felt happiest was about midway through my Whole 30.  My energy returned, as did my motivation, and I actually felt happiness for the first time in ages.  I'm on Day 4 now and currently I think I've felt a dip in my optimism since starting but I'm still going through the motions because I know it will get better.  It will get better for you too and I know you can do this.  

So, sleep as much as you want for now.  Retreat into your own cave, watch Netflix, brood, whatever.  Just don't stray from Whole 30!  After 30 days, if you still feel terrible then you can try something new, but I know you won't feel as terrible as you do now.  But you won't know that until you try it, and currently you have to weather the storm of emotions you are experiencing.  The mind and the subconscious is so powerful, and you are probably having these bad thoughts because your body wants you to quit so you can return to your save haven of comforting foods.  Your brain knows your strongest weaknesses and it will use it against you in times of desperation.  Just being aware of that can change perspective immensely.

I believe in you.  Just remember that it will go away and you will be ok!  

I struggled with depression for several years.  It felt like there were so many outside forces coming against me.  So much on my plate at the same time.  I went on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds for a little while.  They helped, some what, but not exceptionally.  Realized a part of my issue was the so little time for me and I started looking for ways to change my outlook. 

I met a wonderful woman (a friend of a close friend that also worked through a ton of personal challenges) named Michelle Phillips.   She is a corporate trainer and motivational speaker.  Last year, she published a book called "Happiness is a Habit".  It has a lot of great insight including methods to help you change that little voice in your head that is bombarding you with the negative thoughts.  I also struggle with that (and it didn't help that I had a husband that was mentally and emotionally abusive). 

At least 50% of your personal happiness is your habits - so even if your genetics are really against you, you have control over half of it. 

Check her out - she has a website and facebook page.  Maybe you will see something that clicks for you as well. 

There is a lot that goes into battling depression.  I do not believe there is one quick fix.

I just finished putting some short ribs into the crock pot.  It looks so good!  Can't wait till dinner!

Archived