September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

HI KristinMarta,

I'm sorry.  I can understand completely as I have also suffered from feeling depressed. 

I am not sure this will help but it might: For years, I treated what I thought was depression.  I mostly just felt tired and like I did not enjoy anything.  I have been on several mild antidepressants, which sort of helped but definitely did not completely resolve this issue.  I finally saw a rheumatologist because of other health issues I was having.  She prescribed me medication to reduce inflammation.  That medication completely resolved my depression in a way no psychiatric medication ever has.

All of this is to say, you feel yucky now.  However, my experience has shown me that when I reduce inflammation, I reduce my depression.  By doing the Whole 30, you are taking concrete steps to reduce inflammation.  Just hang in there and I am sure you will come out the other side feeling world's happier!

Hugs!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is a little harder than I expected and not in ways I thought it would be. As of now, I feel kind of weepy, sad and tired. Since I have struggled with depression in the past I have gone ahead and set up appointments with my counselor but I am also wondering if this could be part of the detox? It could also have something to do with the time of month that it is (sorry if that is TMI).

Here was yesterday

I had an early morning meeting so I woke up and had a banana and black coffee on my way out the door and to the meeting. After I got back home and the kids off to school I made myself breakfast using the leftovers from the night before. Shredded pork and salsa on top of two eggs. I also took half of one of the leftover baked potatoes and cubed it and heated it in the skillet with some salt and pepper. Was sort of like hashbrowns I guess.

Lunch was chicken cooked in coconut oil; sauteed spinach, red onions, and mushrooms; and strawberries w/ coconut flakes and sliced almonds. I also had some herbal hot tea.

Dinner was the first time I have eaten since starting the W30. We went to Moe's Southwest Grill and I had a "burrito bowl" with just steak, chicken, pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce, and tomatoes.

http://www.twogrand.com/food-journal/ms_quoted/2014-9-10

MSQuoted, interesting that you say there is a connection with inflammation and depression.  I did not know that.  I can tell that I am seeing quite a bit of improvement in my inflammation just from the water loss over the first couple of days.  As a result, my lower back pain is improving each day and I have noticed a difference in my mood. 

I thought I was just being weird with all of this. 

I must have finally burned through the carbs that were already in my system by now, because I am finding myself really hungry for the first time since I started on Saturday. 

Other than that, I have been sleeping 80% better. I used to wake up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, and now not at all!  It's a miracle! This has been going on for years. 

I also find that I am incredibly, endlessly thirsty. I think this is so weird. I usually drink a decent amount of water, but I am literally downing water all day. Anyone else finding increased thirst?

Surprisingly, I haven't been craving sugar or caffeine at all. This is a massive shock to me, as I usually eat candy all day and drink coffee all day as well. Yikes!  I am that person who needs the 3 after dinner mints on the way out of the restaurant.  I end all meals with some piece of hard candy or little chocolate.  So this is a huge win.

Lastly, my focus has been better. I feel like my head is a little less foggy.

So that sums up the effects I've experienced so far. This is day 6 for me.

I have been feeling super tired (hoping that goes away) but I was cooking late last night and couldn't get to bed any earlier than 12.  I also feel like I'm in a fog still (not great for work BTW).

JordanBrook - my worst cravings are after dinner (a little at lunch) for something sweet - it's like fighting a demon.  

Kristinmarta - I also skipped a CLE yesterday - just didn't have it in me (and it was ethics credit!).

My issues are Crohn's, IBS and migraines so I am hoping these go are abated somewhat (they'll never go away as they are somewhat severe).

I just wish I liked the food better - I am such a sugar and carb lover (and I still have to bake for my kids because there are school events and I'm known for my baking).

• Administrators

PuffinsMuffins ~ Are you including at least the minimum recommended amount of fat & protein at each meal? Those veggies will digest pretty fast but the protein and fat are what satiates you.

Britishgal ~ stay strong, the forbidden stuff won't fix any of your woes at the moment.  In fact, sugars and caffeine (read: chocolate and sweets) make cramps and bleeding worse by far.

Kristinmarta/phantommeb/anyone feeling increased depression ~ eat carbs!!!!!!!!! LOTS of 'em.  Sweet potatoes and beets and pumpkin and carrots.  Go crazy with them....because carboyhydrates boost serotonin in the brain.  Lack of carbs reduces serotonin and can lead to increased depressive feelings. Bake up those sweet potatoes, my friends!

I am successfully on Day 4 this morning and feeling quite fine about the food/habits/prep.  I'm sipping fresh bone broth at my desk just now and wishing my back would stop hurting.  One of the things I want to get out of this W30 (or W100 if I decide) is to reduce my overall body pain.  After a few car accidents and exercise injuries I have a very fussy back/neck and I'm sure that reducing inflammation can only help.  But strangely, since Day 2, the general pain and stiffness overall (including fingers, knees etc) has gotten worse, not better.  It's either completely unrelated to Whole30 or it's a detoxing of sh*t from my tissues.  I'd love to hear if an increase in general discomfort at the beginning is something anyone else has dealt with?

Rock on, beautiful people!

Kristinmarta/phantommeb/anyone feeling increased depression ~ eat carbs!!!!!!!!! LOTS of 'em.  Sweet potatoes and beets and pumpkin and carrots.  Go crazy with them....because carboyhydrates boost serotonin in the brain.  Lack of carbs reduces serotonin and can lead to increased depressive feelings. Bake up those sweet potatoes, my friends!

Thanks! Sounds like I had the perfect breakfast then :) Sweet potato topped with shredded coconut, sliced almonds, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.

Hang in there everyone. This is my second Whole 30 and I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who is saying that it will get better. Lots of hugs to all of you dealing with all kinds of side effects and ongoing struggles. Don't forget to take care and be kind to yourself. Remember why you wanted to do this in the first place and keep that as your focus. You can do it!

Book and Coffee - The gadget I use for making zucchini noodles is a julienne peeler made by Zyliss.  It's a small hand-held peeler (not a fancy spiralizer) and it does the trip.  Look for it on Amazon - I think they're pretty reasonable!

Day 4 for me here. Went to bed by 9:00 last night and got a pretty good night's sleep. Even got up and exercised this morning before work, and SO glad to have that done. I'm a speech therapist in the schools and by the time supper and homework with my kids is done, I'm ready for bed. I hate getting up early to exercise, but trying to stick with that routine as best I can. 

Have a good day everyone - it's almost the weekend! 

((Hugs)) to everyone suffering with depression...I battled it for years so I truly understand and life can, and will, seem brighter xx

I'm going to bed soon...it's only 6pm but I've had my dinner and I'm still shattered so I'll be going to sleep at the same time as my 6 year old. Hoping tomorrow is better. Fingers crossed I can get to sleep!

I've been drinking water like nobody's business...I've not been hungry all day but I can't stop drinking!

Hey everyone,

Today was pretty good, but boring too.  I had my breakfast soup and kombucha for breakfast.   Then I had an appointment over my lunch break so I didn't eat lunch.  I wasn't hungry until about 4, so I had probably the latest lunch ever!  Salad every day = meh!  I need to make more dressings to mix it up because it's the best way to get veggies I've experienced but boy is it boring.  Next week I'm thinking lettuce wraps instead.  Dinner will probably be chicken + (insert veggie) but I'm seriously just trying to get to Friday!

Still not really any symptoms except for tiredness and brain fog.  I think I've had some anxiety / depression come back but it's pretty mild.  I think my body just really wanted to be treated like it's supposed to...but who knows it's only day 4.  

Hope everyone had a great day! 

Day 4: I gave up my coffee from my keurig with coconut milk and made the switch to CHOFFY with coconut milk! It was a cup of heaven! So delicious! I felt a little off today but I'm super surprised that I didn't end up with a caffeine headache. Breakfast also consisted of a scrambled egg over carnitas (my favorite so far) and a side of sugar snap peas.

Lunch: my supervisor ordered everyone Jimmy John sub sandwiches but I politely declined which he honored. Instead I had leftover deconstructed tacos with Boston Bibb lettuce, salsa, avocado, compliant taco meat, and Valentina sauce followed by a monkey salad.

Dinner: aidell's chicken apple sausages sautéed with some sauerkraut and zucchini sautéed in coconut oil and a serving of mixed berries.

Water: after this bottle, I'll be at 116 ounces for the day.

Can't wait to see how well I sleep tonight with no caffeine all day!

I have chocolate chili simmering on the stove with about an hour to go... It will be my lunch tomorrow and likely the rest will go in the freezer for future use. Good for quick meal when you're too hungry to cook!

Breakfast: Sweet potato w/ coconut flakes, sliced almonds, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Black Coffee.

Lunch: Leftovers from yesterday. The 2nd half of my burrito bowl and some strawberries mixed w/ coconut flakes and sliced almonds.

Snack: Two pitted dates

Dinner: Scrambled eggs w/ sausage and roasted zucchini

After dinner I also had a Iced Passion Tea, unsweetened.

Feeling better at the end of today then I did at the beginning. Looking forward to a good night's rest and a fresh start tomorrow :)

Hey guys! I missed you all throughout the day. Such a busy day.. all sorts of emotions. Seems like its been quite a day for several of us. First of all hugs to all of you sharing your stories. It makes it a little easier for me to open up as well. 

Today was a crazy day. Work was fine.. but then the whole afternoon was very emotional. I felt like crying for no reason. I had a get together with my friends and there was delicious looking whole foods cake (so not whole foods though!). Everybody was smiling and enjoying themselves and I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself for not participating. Which of course led me to think this is not worth it, why am I even trying, what difference does it make. It seems really silly but I just felt lonely and without a purpose. My husband and I are long distance, due to work for now, and I even started doubting all of my work decisions and our life decisions (which we are actually quite at peace with). Looking back, I think I tend to grab food as soon as I feel something, and maybe now all of my emotions are settling in and I'm allowing myself to feel them. I talked to my husband who reminded me I am not my emotions, and this is something wonderful we are doing to be the best we can be for our family. 

It's kind of crazy that this is the tone of the day for several of us. Hope everyone's day was better and hope tomorrow things are shiny again. 

ps - stuck with the plan, no cake for me! 

Hello - I'm in the Sept 8 - 60 day group forum, but had not made my way over here to this forum.  I actually started Sept 6, but didn't sign up in time, so my emails from whole30 daily started Sept 8.  This is my first ever whole 30 and I've never eaten paleo prior to this.  In fact, before I was pregnant with my twins, who are nearly two years old and are kids #3 and, I was a vegetarian for 7 years.  And prior to this challenge I was eating meat maybe a total of 3-4 times/week.  So I'm a real newbie to this experience, but I needed to make some changes - way to many regular negative health symptoms and a terrible time losing weigh.  

I haven't read any of the posts, but I'm hoping I can join in this group anyways.  

So far I'm finding this really great, I have gone through some of the grouchy and tired slumps already, but the thing I find most amazing for myself is that I am not craving treats or sugary snacks at all.  In normal life I always want seconds of my meals or I want to snack or have treats.  Sometimes I find the will power to say no.  But on this, I don't even have the craving or desire to eat more than I need.  I'm truly truly amazed at this.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  

I also find that I am incredibly, endlessly thirsty. I think this is so weird. I usually drink a decent amount of water, but I am literally downing water all day. Anyone else finding me.

My yes! I thought I was crazy. I am actually drinking more than usual, but so thirsty and my lips are chapped! What is that about?

• Administrators

Welcome Day 5, so happy to see you!

I took my dog for a walk last night, got about as far from home as I could possibly be and my stomach went into revolt!  Cold sweats, raging gut like nothing I've ever experienced, nauseated and thinking I was either going to pewp myself or die.  Good times.  :( Felt completely fine "after" and feel perfectly fine this morning.  WTH?!  Whole30 is not soooo far off how I normally eat but I'm sure feeling some symptoms of adjustment regardless!

This'll be my first weekend in a very long time that does not involve alcohol or potato chips or ice cream (and I get my period on Sunday so that's great.).  I've refused to commit to doing anything or going anywhere and have plans to give myself extra relaxation and downtime as needed with no guilt.

Happy Friday all! :)

So happy to hear others are feeling so thirsty, too.  I can only guess at why: maybe it's the body wanting to detox and needing to flush things out, so we're craving water.  

I had a tea this morning with caffeine in it. First caffeine I've had in 7 days. Wow, I can't believe how much I feel it!  Tea can't have that much caffeine, I would imagine, but wow, after a week of nothing it's noticeable.

To everyone struggling with weekend events - I am as well - try to think of yourself on Monday morning. Think how proud and thankful you will be on Monday if you stuck to this diet through the weekend.   Or vice versa, how bummed you will be if it's once again day 1. (I'm hoping I am the former but it could just as easily be a day 1 Monday for me!)

I did go out last night to an event with free food and completely open bar, and I had delicious club soda all night and nothing else.  It was delicious, I was thirsty anyway, and I drove everyone home safely. Win for everyone!

• Administrators

LibbyHunter ~ nice job on the evening event! I'm using the "club soda with olives in it" trick at a wedding in a couple of weeks.  No one will be the wiser!

Failure is not an option.  It's just food and we get to choose what we put in our mouths.  I forsee us all coming back here on Monday morning and sharing how we navigated our situations while keeping the commitment we made to ourselves.  We're golden!

Archived