My Hobbit (w)hole 30

hobbitgirl

Well, yesterday was day 30 and I must say that I feel pretty danged amazed that I got through it. Was it ta total success? Yes and no.

I'm a realist and I ate out a few times and I have to be honest when I say that it's possible that some unidentified sugar could have gotten into my food. However, overall I really feel that I stuck to it..except for 1 slip that I am going to document here.

Saturday my husband took me out to dinner with some friends. I stuck my meal on plan, but I decided that at day 27 of being pretty squeaky clean, I could have a treat so long as I promised to document the outcome. I had my long awaited chocolate martini. Not just any chocolate martini, but a Snickers Martini. The glass was decorated inside with chocolate and caramel syrup, and the glass slightly rimmed with caramel and crushed peanuts. It was yummy. Now, the intoxicating effects hit pretty hard and fast (usually it takes 2 to get me to that point). Once my steak arrived, however, and I ate something..the buzz began to wear off. Then came Sunday. No, I wasn't hung over, but I was blue, and I have felt a little blue ever since that drink. What I'm trying to figure out now is...was it the alcohol? was it the sugar? or was it the combination of the 2 that has effected me this way?

Also, I tried a new coconut milk by Goya (not there Creme de Coconut, as that's full of sugar). Gotta say, this stuff is a royal disappointment. It's not creamy, and there's bits of coconut in it so it nevery really mixes right. Not to mention that something seems wrong when no coconut cream ever separates to the top of it in the refrigerator. Definitely won't buy this again. BLARGH!

Tomorrow at work they are having an ice cream social in my department, so I've taken the liberty of supporting the diabetic in the next cube and I made the blueberry cobbler from Practical Paleo. It's not W30 compliant (almond flour and honey) but since I'm off my W30 for the moment I am looking at it as a treat.

I think I'll do another W30 again soon, and I can say that I'll be adopting this way of eating by and large just because of how I feel.

Changes noticed:

No break outs for the 30 days (and that included when the tide came in!)

Skin seems brighter

Tummy not nearly as bloated

Regularity, regularity, regularity (and am I the only weirdo that checked out where they fall in the Poop Parade from Practical Paleo?).

Great outcome! So glad you took away a lot from your Whole30.

With only two more days to go, what made you decide to have that Snickers martini? Afterward, were you sad because you made the choice to have it, or physiologically down? The reason may have been due to other factors such as what you were NOT eating. Just wondering. Did you need more good carbs like a sweet potato?

Honestly it was a personal decision. 2 more days and I had been squeeky clean so I decided that from a clinical standpoint my W30 would end that night, yet I still ate clean even for the next 2 days. So, I guess I really did a W28. :D

The feeling is like being psychologically down, however I know much of that relates to diet. I have psyclothemic disorder (a form a bipolar disorder.). I've been med free for about 13 years, and I manage because of diet. So, when I decided to embark on a W30, I was curious as to how it would effect my moods as well. Honestly, for the bulk of the W30 I was level to up, it wasn't until after the martini (the next day) that I felt down a bit. So, again, I'm curious as to if it was the alcohol, the sugar, or the combination of the two. I'd eaten well that day so I don't believe I was short on good carbs or any of that.

Sugar makes me sad, depressed and downright mean! :)

I feel totally different when I don't eat it. I am seriously like a totally different person. I have no patience, every one annoys me but once I go back to Whole30 eating, after a few days everyone is fine and I don't notice things as much. It's sooooo weird that food can have this kind of effect on people!

Congrats on your accomplishment!

Sugar makes me sad, depressed and downright mean! :) I feel totally different when I don't eat it. I am seriously like a totally different person. I have no patience, every one annoys me but once I go back to Whole30 eating, after a few days everyone is fine and I don't notice things as much. It's sooooo weird that food can have this kind of effect on people! Congrats on your accomplishment!

EXACTLY! It's been a few days since the Martini and I'm still kind of blah. Maybe I should try a 21 day sugar detox next just to see how that goes.

WHAHH! I really like my chocolate martinis too. Buggady boo!

I see what you're saying now, hobbitgirl. Well, you have bipolar "lite" and I have depression "lite": I'm dysthymic! Ha! I'm also med free, but I've been dealing with this since 5th grade. I think keeping blood sugar stable and welcoming gratitude into my life are two huge things I can do to treat this damn disease.

And sugar makes me mean, too, formercupcakejunkie! ;)

Archived