compliant egg free casseroles

LisaLulu

Been stressing about money and realizing that our family cannot afford 'hunk o meat' meals 3 times a day, but we like the way we feel eating paleo so I don't want to stop. We can't have eggs (2 of us are majorly intolerant) but there is no limit for carbohydrate/starch as we are all thin and active. Any casserole ideas that won't break the bank?

• Moderators

The meal planning template calls for a palm-size portion of protein at three meals per day because eating that much protein is important to maintaining health. I am afraid that you won't like how you feel long-term if you downshift the protein and replace it with carbs/starch. And further, Whole30 Meal Planning is based upon each meal including a palm-size portion of protein. The forum is not open for discussion of non-Whole30 meal plans. Sorry.

The casserole would obviously include a palm sized portion of meat per person, the portions tend to be much bigger when eaten stand alone. I just didn't think there would be a limit on the amount of vegetables consumed, it's not like it would be a casserole full of rice and cheese, it would be vegetables of all kinds. Is there a limit on them?

I am egg-intolerant as well, and have also been searching for casserole/one-dish recipes to save money (and dishes!). I recently tried my hand at a Whole30-compliant lasagna-style casserole and it turned out really well! I made a chunky tomato sauce with mushrooms and ground beef, and layered that with thinly sliced eggplant (which I baked for a bit to draw out some of the moisture) and spinach. Topped it with pumpkin seed-nutritional yeast "Parmesan", then baked it until bubbling around the edges. (Not sure if the "Parmesan" was considered SWYPO, but it isn't a trigger food for me so I deemed it compliant!)

Some tips:

- It's pretty easy to create a casserole from layers of meat, veggies, and sauce. So long as you don't use ingredients that contain/release a lot of water (i.e. zucchini, thin sauces) - or pre-bake/reduce those that do - it should work.

- Try taking classic casserole recipes and subbing coconut milk for dairy milk.

- To bind your casserole, make a creamy sauce out of cooked cauliflower, zucchini, or eggplant + seasonings + a bit of arrowroot/tapioca starch (Google recipes for these). You'd be surprised at how rich a sauce made from vegetables can be! Also very easy on the wallet :)
- Even just a mixture of ground meat + veggies + seasonings - like burgers but with more veggies, and baked in a pan - is delicious, portable, and stretches the meat a bit. I just made a turkey-kale-squash version and it was SO yummy.

• Moderators

Been stressing about money and realizing that our family cannot afford 'hunk o meat' meals 3 times a day, but we like the way we feel eating paleo so I don't want to stop. We can't have eggs (2 of us are majorly intolerant) but there is no limit for carbohydrate/starch as we are all thin and active. Any casserole ideas that won't break the bank?

Here is the "Grocery Shopping on a Budget" guide. Hope it is helpful!

Archived