Day 1 and looking for a buddy!

TheGle

I like to drink and eat sweets so this will be a challenge for me, one thing I'm doing today will be to finish off 3 of my Whole 9 Goals, print them out and think about them every day.

NOTE: I am officially restarting this program; today is September 21, 2014 and is day 0. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm already in trouble, I didn't check the ingredients on some fish sauce I used for supper tonight, and it has sugar as the third ingredient. It's not like a face planted into a box of donuts, but somehow I feel like I've already blown it and it's only day 1 for me. 

Nice to meet you too Kayla!! We'll do this together day one wasn't too bad: I didn't have coffee cause I love my cream and sweetener, so I did some good strong black tea, which I love as well. But other than that (and the fish sauce) no worries.

It always just amazes me how much sugar we get in our prepared foods. So I guess that's the clue: buy less stuff that has "ingredients" in it and more whole foods....so back to reading more about whole food meals. 

Let me know how you do tomorrow!!

- Tess

Well I'm already in trouble, I didn't check the ingredients on some fish sauce I used for supper tonight, and it has sugar as the third ingredient. It's not like a face planted into a box of donuts, but somehow I feel like I've already blown it and it's only day 1 for me. 

Yeah those labels will get ya every time!  I forget to read a label occasionaly and it drives me nuts!  Keep going, you can do it!

Breakfast was good, 1/2 c cooked hamburger heated up with an egg with a 1/4 avocado.  For lunch a 3oz piece of salmon on a fresh salad with a twist of lemon juice on it. Supper was 6 oz donair or gyro meat on a salad, with oil dressing. I think I'm done for the day, drinking water for the rest of the night maybe some green tea. Going to bed early again tonight - sleep goal is 10 - 10:30 every night this month even weekends. Do you have any Whole 9 goals?

Hello Ladies,  I also started on Sept. 1

I think I am doing fine and my partner is even joining so that is great but he tends to bring me down cause he is always saying WHAT!! I can't have that either. Heck I cook his meals for him. UGH! I told him that I cannot support him and me during this so either he stops the Whole 30 or he embraces it.

I also didn't have the nerve to get on the scale on day one. so I got on it today. I then cried for 1 hour. How did I get so FAT and gross. I can't even look in the mirror anymore.  use to look 10 to 15 years younger than my age but now I am just a fat old lady.

I sure hope this helps.

for breakfast today I had half a cup of coffee about 2 oz of steak with tomatos and cucumber and I have made a green smoothie to take to work ( orange, bannana and spinach)

(sorry my post will be a little off in timing as I live in Europe)

Hi Emma

To age is to become even more beautiful in my eyes, no matter what age it is!!

I know it's hard but if you don't have support at home let him go this will be tough at first I'm quite sure.  And yes the scale is very bad, I used a tape measure on September 1 (I started on September 2 and prepped a week prior) But I know how much I weigh by my clothes Im back into the larger ones right now so I feel you pain. Hope the rest of your day was better!

Breakfast for me this AM was 1 1/2 rashers of bacon, two farm fresh eggs, and a fried tomato off my vine all covered in some ground black pepper. I'm good to go.  Lunch will be at a Japanese resto so I'm going to have to think hard about what I want before I get there and drink lots of jasmine toasted rice tea!  

Hi ladies,  I am 54 and started on 9/2 for the first time.  I have been "trying" to eat healthy for a long time and I've done pretty good.  I am truly lucky that I think I'm pretty healthy, feel good and not very over weight.  I have never cut out sugar, dairy, grains and beans completely, just tried to use natural or organic alternatives and tried to control portions.  I wasn't sure about  commiting to this but I am doing it to honor a friend that has advanced cancer.  I have choices and she does not so I want to try to do this 100%

Not weighing is tough, I'm one of those people that weigh every day come rain or shine.  I am kind of ocd about it, actually keeping a chart.  So far the scale and black coffee it the worst.   I live in "cajun land" so food is hard to resist but I hope to complete this, see some results and learn new things.  Thanks

TheGle, how did you do today? I didn't have breakfast, but for lunch I had grilled chicken tenders and broccoli with a salad, and for dinner I had a turkey burger with a lettuce bun, mustard and sauteed red peppers!

Hi kaylamoreland,

It doesn't look like you eating enough food. Remember this isn't a diet. Never skip breakfast and you must have fat with every meal. Always follow the meal planning template. You can do it!

Gle,

Thanks for the kind words I think my partner is coming around. He is going through major withdrawals right now and thinks its some other type of sickness. I keep telling him its not having sugar or bread. He doesn't believe me. LOL I hope he feels better today.

How was your Japanese dinner? I love jasmine tea. I must go and get some this weekend.

Yesterday went really good. I feel so much better. I am American but live in Austria so sometimes reading labels is rough for me. I had a piece of dried mango yesterday and it tastes so sweet that I think it must have sugar on it. EEEEKKK. I will take the bag to work to see if there is any added sugar. I sure hope I didn't blow it.

We do have this stuff called Wiesse Mandelmus (almond mouse) it is almond butter only lighter and creamier. 100% almonds. It is amazing if you see it there grab a jar. You only need about a teaspoon with an apple and you are so happy. LOL

Feeling better today about my weight. I am the only one who can change it. My biggest fear is that this will not work for me and that I am going to be terminally fat. 

Have a great day!!!

kayla, 

how are you doing today? How do you feel. I can you please tell me what the 9/2 is? 

I tried to make my own mayo yesterday. It didn't work. But i did end up with a very nice salad dressing with olive oil, lime juice, and avocado.

I think adding something like this will help with you adding fat to your meals.

have a lovely day

Good morning,  Day 4 and so far so good.  Last night we had a business dinner.  I had called ahead and found out it was a buffet of delicious sounding foods.  They said that they had a salad so I prepared for that.  I brought avocado, olives, boiled egg and balsamic vinegar in my purse.  Glad that I did because the salad was lettuce.  No tomato, no cucumber just lettuce.  It turned out fine.  I passed on all the amazing looking choices and was ok.  I felt a little funny pulling containers out at the table and a few people looked curious.  I told them a little about what I was doing and it was no big deal.  They were actually kind of interested and it added to the conversation. 

Now I need to concentrate on the weekend ahead.  Hope you all have a good day.

How was your Japanese dinner? I love jasmine tea. I must go and get some this weekend.

We do have this stuff called Wiesse Mandelmus (almond mouse) it is almond butter only lighter and creamier. 100% almonds. It is amazing if you see it there grab a jar. You only need about a teaspoon with an apple and you are so happy. LOL

My Japanese lunch was fantastic, all the fresh fish I could ask for along with gluten free soy, ate some rice then stopped when I realized what it was. Had a fresh seaweed salad with sesame oil and rice vinegar again only realizing afterward that it was likely sugared. Ay carumba moderation for some stuff until you know but I'm not stopping. I'll redo the program next month if I think this isn't working for me.

Good morning,  Day 4 and so far so good.  Last night we had a business dinner.  I had called ahead and found out it was a buffet of delicious sounding foods.  They said that they had a salad so I prepared for that.  I brought avocado, olives, boiled egg and balsamic vinegar in my purse.  Glad that I did because the salad was lettuce.  No tomato, no cucumber just lettuce.  It turned out fine.  I passed on all the amazing looking choices and was ok.  I felt a little funny pulling containers out at the table and a few people looked curious.  I told them a little about what I was doing and it was no big deal.  They were actually kind of interested and it added to the conversation. 

Now I need to concentrate on the weekend ahead.  Hope you all have a good day.

I have to laugh yes I just bet it looked funny, but good for you for making the right choices and knowing how to prepare at a moments notice. I probably would have "trusted" the restaurant and tried to pick the right foods like I did with my Japanese place then made a bad decision. Must remember the boy-scout motto "Be prepared." lol!!

Last night I had Chicken Tagine subbing in carrots for chickpeas and no couscous, having it for lunch today. For breakfast I had Monkey Salad - 1/2 banana, about 1/3 cup rinsed cashews, coconut flakes and a wee bit of coconut milk. I might try this again tomorrow with the other 1/2 banana only I'll soak the cashews overnight. Very tasty very filling.

Supper tonight was to have been Spicy Tuna Cakes (Nom Nom Paleo) but I have no eggs, hubby went and hard boiled a whole dozen and I won't get fresh ones now until Thursday.

Also, I am drinking a whole lot more water, I feel like I have a desert in my mouth which is good, but it sure takes getting used to. TTYL everyone

kayla, 

how are you doing today? How do you feel. I can you please tell me what the 9/2 is? 

I tried to make my own mayo yesterday. It didn't work. But i did end up with a very nice salad dressing with olive oil, lime juice, and avocado.

I think adding something like this will help with you adding fat to your meals.

have a lovely day

Melissa Joulwan's mayo recipe is the best I've found. It is posted on the W9 site. That said it does take a little practice to get it right!

Well, not so Good Morning, I restarted the program. I had a very good friend of mine drop by with a "gasp" Starbucks Latte for me. I was going to put it down or just take a fake sip and tell her I had just had a coffee so I'd have to have it later, but the look on her face told me she was upset (and she was) and we needed to bond for a bit. I tried to leave the coffee behind in my office and said I'll have it later and grabbed my water, but she guilted me and that was it. Poof day what...4. Sheesh.

So I drank it with her and we chatted. Bummer. Yes, I eventually told her about my "new" meal planning and carefully let her know what I was eliminating. But I changed the subject to avoid sounding like I was blaming her, so yes I figuratively "face-planted into the donuts" and that was it.

Day 0 today! Lets see if I can get it right from now on and, without lying about it, try to figure out how to avoid something like this again...and hopefully it won't happen again.

I have a birthday party to go to next week that will be my first test and the girlfriend is a fantastic cook, so believe me it will be a challenge.

Hi, sorry about your mess up.  Look as the positive side of it - You were there for your friend when she needed someone, you were only four days into it and now it will give your more time to plan and to "mentally" prepare for these kinds of situations when they happen on your next go round. 

Hey do like I did - bring a big purse and put a couple of things in it for the birthday party. 

I'm really, really missing a good cup of coffee.  This black stuff just isn't working for me.  I think I'm going to play around with stuff like coconut milk to see if I can make it taste better.  I also went to the store and got the ingredients to make mayo and ketchup.  I think the mayo will be a base for salad dressings other than just vinegar. 

hope you have a good weekend

Gle

oh man!!! I am so sorry for you. I had started going gluten free about 100 times and I always found an reason not to stay with it for more than a day or two.

The whole 30 is giving me power to just say NO. It is only 30 days. You can still be a supportive friend and not have a latte. 

When I started this i was only going to do it for 28 days as there is a wine tasting walk that only happens once a year in Vienna and it will be on my day 28.

I have now read so much that says to please complete the 30 days that I am thinking of just going for the walk and drinking water.

I never thought  would say that.

We are worth 30 days of effort. We can say no to others and feel good about it.

I have had so many people that I thought would make this journey difficult prove me wrong by offering to go 30 days without drinking or offering to go on walks with me in the evening. It is amazing what your real friends will do to support you.

So start with the mindset that you WILL do this for 30 days. There is no other option. : :)

Day 6 for me and I am feeling very tired. made meatballs and tomato veggie sauce last night for dinner. so had meat balls and fruit salad for breakfast and meatballs and veggies and an apple with almond butter for lunch.  I know I am lazy but they were really good. (i used a little bit of almond flour in the meat mix)

I think I am right on track as far as the Whole 30 time line as day 6 all i want to do is sleep.

Looking forward to hearing good things!!!!

Well the "weak"end is almost over and even though this is, yet again, day 1, I am, and have been, on track.

Proud to have slayed the bacon/sugar dragon this AM by having leftovers from the other night (chicken tagine) and only ate the veggies from it along with two HB eggs. Then had the other half which was the chicken thigh for lunch with fresh raw carrots and a peach. My AM coffee these past two days has been with Coconut Milk (unsweetend) and quite frankly I am getting used to it. So I'll be taking my coffees to work again :D

Supper will be sugar free marinara sauce braised chicken thighs, garden fresh swiss chard and butter and a light salad. Early to bed for me again tonight.

- Tess

I think I am right on track as far as the Whole 30 time line as day 6 all i want to do is sleep.

You know I feel sleepy all the time now too. Last night I actually for the first time in a long while got a good 7.5 hours in unlike the usual 6 hours so I'm with your there!

TheGle, glad you had a good day and are back on track.  Last night we got invited to a party to watch a football game.  They had a lot of party foods, I really wanted to eat but I got through it.  Brought food with me again and it worked out.  Today I experimented with making mayo and ketchup.  The mayo came out great, don't think anyone would think it was home made.  The ketchup, well it's not bad but it not great.  I really like ketchup a lot and I think when I eat it with something it will be ok.  It's not bad, just different.  I also got some full fat coconut milk for my coffee.  It was ok, I guess I was hoping it would be a little better. 

I made a big skillet of what I guess I would call sweet potato hash.  It was soooo good.  I browned some venison sausage that we had processed, added onion, diced sweet potatoes and diced apple.  I seasoned it with cumin and cajun spices.  Really filling and now I have a few lunches. 

hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Well, not so Good Morning, I restarted the program. I had a very good friend of mine drop by with a "gasp" Starbucks Latte for me. I was going to put it down or just take a fake sip and tell her I had just had a coffee so I'd have to have it later, but the look on her face told me she was upset (and she was) and we needed to bond for a bit. I tried to leave the coffee behind in my office and said I'll have it later and grabbed my water, but she guilted me and that was it. Poof day what...4. Sheesh.

So I drank it with her and we chatted. Bummer. Yes, I eventually told her about my "new" meal planning and carefully let her know what I was eliminating. But I changed the subject to avoid sounding like I was blaming her, so yes I figuratively "face-planted into the donuts" and that was it.

Day 0 today! Lets see if I can get it right from now on and, without lying about it, try to figure out how to avoid something like this again...and hopefully it won't happen again.

I have a birthday party to go to next week that will be my first test and the girlfriend is a fantastic cook, so believe me it will be a challenge.

It's all part of learning how to live this new way of taking care of yourself. Good for you for starting over!

Archived