TheGle

Day 1 and looking for a buddy!

Been working in the kitchen.  My girls are doing good but one of them is needing something to help her with missing sugar so much.  She was a heavy snack lover at night before bed so today I am trying baked apple.  Diced apple, sprinkled with cinnamon, tossed with a little coconut oil, raisins and a little chopped pecans.  Smells good but still in oven.

Gle - girl you can do this.  it's really not that hard.  I think what helps me the most is preparing.  There are times when I could not have a meal prepared so I'll eat a strange combination but all within the plan.  Try to make a few things and put them in containers that you can grab or have

ready for when you need to eat but maybe don't have a "meal" planned.  I've eaten things like avocado, beets & cucumber w/balsamic vinegar, a piece of left over meat, some nuts and had to call it dinner.

Emma - don't you just love the emersion blender.  It's good for soups also.  Good luck with your class.  Everybody had to start somewhere.  If you can't keep up you shouldn't feel bad.  You will probably improve quickly and then you'll be able to look back and see how far you have come. 

Lisa

I have to get my butt in gear, it's all about food today, and some crafting :) I've also added to my signature:

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana (and so do I).

Morning ladies

Day 22!

I had an accidental mess up yesterday.

neighbors made us a whole 30 compliant dinner last night but long story short it was not compliant as one item had corn starch in it.

When I found out i started crying at the dinner table. I was so upset that I had messed up.  Then our lovely neighbors were so upset that I was upset.

They felt awful. Then I felt even worse. LOL

So i woke up this morning and my normal bathroom time was NOT normal.

I guess that I have found someting that I am senitive too.

I will not start over at day 1 so I hope i will be ok.

Have a great day ladies!!! You can do this!

XX

Morning,  Emma - sorry about what happen.  My daughter wanted to eat out this weekend and I pleaded with her to just try to get through the weekend.  I feel like you really don't know what is used in the kitchen of restaurants and at home you are in control.  She made grilled kabobs that she marinated and she said they were incredible.  Her original intention was to do this for a week and last night she called and said she was going to try another week. I go to her house every day to take care of my grand babies (4 and 1 1/2 years old) so I'm doing most of her preparation and meals.  She thanked me for helping and said she doubted she could have done it on her own.

Today I am going grocery shopping with my other daughter.  It's been great for the 3 of us to be able to compare ideas and have each others support. 

Hope you all have a great day. 

Morning ladies

Day 22!

I had an accidental mess up yesterday.

neighbors made us a whole 30 compliant dinner last night but long story short it was not compliant as one item had corn starch in it.

When I found out i started crying at the dinner table. I was so upset that I had messed up.  Then our lovely neighbors were so upset that I was upset.

They felt awful. Then I felt even worse. LOL

I wouldn't beat myself up over a slip by someone else and too bad they felt bad about it, so on you go!!!

Morning,  Emma - sorry about what happen.  My daughter wanted to eat out this weekend and I pleaded with her to just try to get through the weekend.  I feel like you really don't know what is used in the kitchen of restaurants and at home you are in control.  She made grilled kabobs that she marinated and she said they were incredible.  Her original intention was to do this for a week and last night she called and said she was going to try another week. I go to her house every day to take care of my grand babies (4 and 1 1/2 years old) so I'm doing most of her preparation and meals.  She thanked me for helping and said she doubted she could have done it on her own.

Today I am going grocery shopping with my other daughter.  It's been great for the 3 of us to be able to compare ideas and have each others support. 

Hope you all have a great day. 

You are a great mom, Lisa and you have two wonderful supporters they'll keep you going and you will them, good for you!!

So I'm on Day 1 today, took a new before photo, my weight, waist measurements and wrote a journal entry. I'm also going to track my food for awhile just to see what 1500 calories looks like and to learn to know when I'm full. Tonight will be busy for me I have cardio kickboxing in half an hour and at least two hours of gardening to do to prep my yard for some new fall bulbs I have on the way.

Have a great rest of the day, and tomorrow. I'll be back!

Well I think my girls are hooked now.  A little back ground.  28 and 30 years old, beautiful young women buy quite a bit overweight and none of us are over 5 ft tall so that makes it hard.  One is a carb a holic and after the kids go to sleep she has late night snacks and most are junky or loaded with sugar.  The other one eats a little better.  They have horrible sleep patterns, headaches and lots of stress, bloating.....anyway I don't know how but I guess I talked about it so much and tried to get them interested.  They must of gotten sick of hearing me and decided to give it a try (probably to shut me up)

One said she would try for a week but didn't think she could do it, the other one was ready, willing and able.  This morning was a week for them.  They weighed in even though they weren't suppose to. (I think one had no intention of going on)  Well, one lost 4 1/2 lbs and the other 6 1/2 lbs.  Guess what - they are all excited and neither one wanted to stop today.  I was really so excited.  They have never done any weight loss plan until they got to that point where you get that high feeling because you and other people notice some results.  They are both quite a bit over weight but I feel like if they could just hang on it could change their lives.  They are at that point where they don't like themselves and feel disgusting. What also makes it hard is I am probably not considered to be very overweight.  Right now I am about 130 but should be about 120.  They were never "fat" as young girls but it was different for me.  I was about 150 lbs at 12 years old and went on my first "diet" at 13. those are ages where kids can be cruel and the teasing and rejection in school really made it hard.   I have been obsessed with weight my whole life and am determine to "never be fat again"  Because of that my whole life has been restricting calories, eat tiny portions, passing up things I really wanted and not even being able to enjoy a dinner out.   I am doing a lot to help them so maybe they will stay strong and maybe we will all learn from this. 

Hope everyone has a great night. 

So how is everyone doing? I'm on  - Day Three (3) - yup I have made it this far without falling off the wagon. It's actually been much easier, likely cause I've had so much experience starting all over again!!! but it'll be worth it once I get into a routine and breakfasts have been fast and easy, one egg, fried with a fresh veg fried up with it. Tomato or zucchini or sweet potato all make a good quick fresh breakfast that keeps me going until lunch. The "no coffee" isn't too bad either. I've tried it coconut milk but it's not that good. So I'm back to just having regular black tea. That, I can handle without sugar.

Lisa, sad that you had to have such a tough life lesson. Sometimes it's those kinds of things that can either work for us or break us, glad it just made you work harder to never let it bug you again. And I really can't blame your girls, I think our whole society is in a serious need of a wake up call. We are getting fat, less physically social with one another, we drive everywhere, we don't live close enough to our food, very sad all of it.

Have a good night everyone!

Gle = YEAH for you.  hey day 3 leads to day 4, day 4 to day 5........It's day 24 for me.  Before I started I didn't think I would get so "into" this.  I am loving it and probably will keep going especially since my girls are doing it.  One of them was really struggling with the sugar thing.  She is missing "desserts" or sweets.  I wanted to try to find something for her to help her out.  I made some pina colada ice cream by putting frozen pineapple and coconut milk and a tiny bit of coconut butter in the processor.  It was really good,  tasted like sorbet or frozen yogurt.  The next thing I made was awesome.  I could probably sell them and get rich.  I took banana, almond butter and cinnamon and blended it together.  Put 2 tsp in ice cube trays and froze.  Then I put cashews, almonds, raisins and unsweetened coconut flaked in chopper.  After the mix was frozen I rolled that in the chopped crumbs and put them back in the freezer.  They are incredible.  You would never know they are healthy.  If you need a treat you should try them.

I am getting really excited about being able to see if I had any results soon.  Still nervous because my fear is that, since I really ate good since what seems like forever, that I won't have much change.  I will see what happens soon.  I'm going to get up, go to the bathroom, strip down and weigh.  Then I am going to rush to the kitchen, get my coffee and put 1/2 a tsp of honey in it with my coconut milk. (I have had many a morning where I have looked at my honey and spent way to much time thinking about it.) I am thinking that since I haven't had sweets in so long that a small amount of honey should be noticeable and make it taste good.  6 days to go!

Hope you have a great day.

Gle = YEAH for you.  hey day 3 leads to day 4, day 4 to day 5........It's day 24 for me.  Before I started I didn't think I would get so "into" this.  I am loving it and probably will keep going especially since my girls are doing it.  One of them was really struggling with the sugar thing.  She is missing "desserts" or sweets.  I wanted to try to find something for her to help her out.  I made some pina colada ice cream by putting frozen pineapple and coconut milk and a tiny bit of coconut butter in the processor.  It was really good,  tasted like sorbet or frozen yogurt.  The next thing I made was awesome.  I could probably sell them and get rich.  I took banana, almond butter and cinnamon and blended it together.  Put 2 tsp in ice cube trays and froze.  Then I put cashews, almonds, raisins and unsweetened coconut flaked in chopper.  After the mix was frozen I rolled that in the chopped crumbs and put them back in the freezer.  They are incredible.  You would never know they are healthy.  If you need a treat you should try them.

Hi Lisa

I'll try this after I'm finished my Whole 30 since I don't really want to restart again. I restarted because I had fruit sorbet - no added sweetener of any kind but since one of the preliminary steps to starting the program was to check out this link - http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ to get more familiar with what "whole" food is I ignored it. Yes, the list makes me very sad at times but realistically speaking I wasn't surprised, and regretted doing this to myself.

"Paleo Ice Cream (YoNanas): No

This. Is. Ice. Cream. Unlike plain frozen fruit, or fruit blended into ice cubes, the only purpose of this confection is to replicate the taste, texture and reward sensation of ice cream. (Don’t tell us you’d get the same satisfaction from a frozen banana because we call your bluff.) Plus the addition of cocoa, nut butters, nuts, or other fruits to your creamy concoction… this is straight SWYPO, and it’s off-limits during your Whole30."

So far I'm Day 4 and nothing on this list has tempted me nor has any sweetener of any kind. The only sweetener I've had was a fruit juice added to a marinade I made for some chicken. Even thought the chicken breast turned out kind of dry, next time I'll use thighs or turkey.

Anyway, have a great day.

Thanks for the info.  I knew pretty much about this because I did read all the info.  I am thinking if my daughter didn't get something to help her from missing "dessert"  she would throw in the towel.   I made 3 of them for her each night and they were about as round as a quarter.  It stopped her from going after the blue bell ice cream and chocolate cookies and so far she is still on track.  I am glad that sweets never did much for me.  I think my weakness is junk food like french fries or pizza loaded with everything.  I'm glad to say I haven't been missing anything (other than my coffee).

Today I went to Costco and Whole Foods.  Stocked up on fruits and veggies.  Got some cans of smoked salmon.  I've been making salmon salad and I like it a lot.  It makes a good lunch and holds me up.  Well need to do a few things before it gets to late.

I'm going to try to make some whole 30 mayo too!! So I can make some salmon or tuna or egg salad I just need a little bit of oil or moisture in it otherwise it's so dry, well the egg and tuna. I still have fresh chive I can add to it and some dry mustard to give it a bit of kick. If I want a sugar kick now I'm having half an apple with some nuts after my meal.

I have nothing in my house that's even sweet. Well except for the small bag of sugar I just bought to make my kombucha. Well off to do some kitchen science.

In my salmon salad I put finely chopped celery, boiled egg, golden raisins, mayo, green onion and a little cajun seasoning.  I used canned wild salmon.  It is really good.

Ladies!!!! Good Morning!!!!!

Day 26 for me!!! I still want a drink. Only 2 more days and I will have some wine. 

Lisa, I TOTALLY  understand what you are saint about finishing. I am so very worried that I will get on the scale and see nothing has changed.

I almost measured my waist yesterday just to see if there was any change but i didn't. I am scared.

Lisa it is such amazing news about your girls!!!!! It must make you just glow knowing that they want to do the whole 30! At the start I had a hard time wanting something sweet but and apple and some almond or cashew butter worked really great.  

Aslo to help with my cravings i keep a jar of coconut oil at my desk. I will eat a spoonful of that.  It is really amazing how that helps with my hunger and with my sweet tooth.  And it's good for me. LOL

Tess you are amazing!!! I am so happy!!! You are DOING this !!!! There is no stopping you now. Your restarts were just your fear getting the best of you.  NOW you have the best of your fear. The  whole 30 mayo has saved my life. LOL I have eaten so much chicken salad. I really don't like eggs but made some egg salad and used it as a dip for fresh veggies and it was really good.  I really want to start making my own kombucha. I have to get a mother. I hope I can get one here in Austria. 

Ok off to work for me. TGIF!!!!

OH FYI i have been making my own tomato sauce. I have a vitamix  so it helps get things blended really well but u just put whole tomatoes in the blender with an onion and some garlic and let it rip!!! then i just simmer the liquid with whatever meat. It is easy and healthier. Oh and  I also have a spiralizer and made zucchini 

pasta for the first time!!! It was easy and SOOOO good.

Love you ladies. `have a great day.

morning,  Day 26 today.  I'm counting down.  Got up very early and put on a pot of italian chicken soup.  One of my girls was really struggling, I am at her house Monday-Friday taking care of my 2 grand children while she works so I do most of the food planning.  Thursday and Friday the other grandma was in town from out of state so she stayed with the kids, so the "menu" didn't fall into place.  It was one of those time where everything went wrong for my daughter with her trying to plan breakfast, lunch and dinner.  She had a horrible day Thursday but I was so proud of her, through all of the confusion she stayed completely on track.

This morning they have soccer with her oldest (4 Yrs) so after they are stopping over for lunch.  I'll have leftovers so we will be able to have lunches for the week.

Emma - excited for you.  I think you are a day or 2 ahead of me.  I'll be waiting to hear about your results.  Too bad we're not on the same day, we could time it and do it together :)

Gle - thinking about you.  It sounds like you're doing great. 

Ya'll have a great day.  Lisa

Okay, I know I started this with the "hope" that I would find inspiration but sadly my life away from this has sabotaged me. I'm no longer on the Whole 30 program. I've let myself down and I am not a leader in this at all. But I am off Whole 30 as of today. 

I sabotaged myself but it's food and I am not going to guilt myself about it. It's not justification but I am my worst enemy in this. I'm so sad and I feel embarrassed about it all. 

morning,  Day 26 today.  I'm counting down.  Got up very early and put on a pot of italian chicken soup.  One of my girls was really struggling, I am at her house Monday-Friday taking care of my 2 grand children while she works so I do most of the food planning.  Thursday and Friday the other grandma was in town from out of state so she stayed with the kids, so the "menu" didn't fall into place.  It was one of those time where everything went wrong for my daughter with her trying to plan breakfast, lunch and dinner.  She had a horrible day Thursday but I was so proud of her, through all of the confusion she stayed completely on track.

This morning they have soccer with her oldest (4 Yrs) so after they are stopping over for lunch.  I'll have leftovers so we will be able to have lunches for the week.

Emma - excited for you.  I think you are a day or 2 ahead of me.  I'll be waiting to hear about your results.  Too bad we're not on the same day, we could time it and do it together :)

Gle - thinking about you.  It sounds like you're doing great. 

Ya'll have a great day.  Lisa

Lisa you are awesome. Trying to bring your daughters along with this is so inspirational you are obviously helping them through this and for that you are always the momma bear. Good for you and your kids!!

Ya'll have a nice day too! 

Gle - you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.  So it wasn't perfect for you but that doesn't mean that the changes you made to eat better are not a benefit to you.  Maybe you will be able to consider different options.  Maybe you could give up some things on certain days of  the week or maybe try Monday through Friday but not on weekends.  I would love to be able to eat 100% organic but I'm not able to accomplish that.  That doesn't mean that if I am able to do it 50% that it is not good for me. 

I'm sure you became aware of information that you may have not known before and that can't ever hurt and you are also very good at supporting others.  I always looked very forward to hearing from you and it helped me.  You try and to me that is better than not caring at all.  :D

Well today is day 29 for me.  I can hardly take it anymore,  not the food - the waiting to see if I got any results.  I feel like I won't be able to sleep.  I am also very excited that tomorrow morning I will have a cup of coffee that will hopefully be a little sweet.  I am only going to add 1/2 tsp of honey, I feel like that should be noticeable since I've had no sweetener in a month. 

Other than the honey I plan to continue at least while my girls are doing it.  After that I hope to use this plan Monday-Friday but give myself a day on the weekend to have something off plan.  I like pasta so that is one thing that comes to mind.  I'll have to see.  Hope ya'll have a good day today.

Lisa, I'm so happy for you, and that you made it all the way! I hope you feel better too. I just want to have a good nights sleep and feel rested when I wake up.

I'm not sure how much weight I will lose since I'm really not a scale person, I go by how my clothes feel. 

I think I will have to think hard about going back to what I used to eat after this, but let me know how you do tomorrow!!

30 Days!!!!!!  I made it.  This morning I had my honey in my coffee.  It was nice but honestly I was building up to it so much it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.  I am not doing anything else different as far as food goes right now mostly because my daughters are doing this.  I think it's better to stick with them.

When I started this I weighed in at 130.6.  I have been trying to diet for 2 years and doing a very good job of it and never was able to get below 126.9 and that was probably for a day.  This morning I got on the scale and I was 125.7.  I was glad to have broken that range. 

I do notice that my pants are looser and I for sure have more energy.  I use to wake up and kind of drag myself around for a while before I was "alert"  Now I feel like when I wake up I am ready to go.  No dragging around trying to come to life. 

I feel like I think differently about food.  I have been totally obsessed with food, weight, eating, recipes...anything to do with food.  Now that stuff really doesn't seem to get to me.  I don't get anxiety when I watch the food channel.  I have been to banquets, a wedding and 2 parties with incredible food or what I though was incredible food and didn't get depressed or let my whole time get ruined from thinking about what to eat or how much to eat or what I would weigh in the morning and how much I would have to starve for days after. 

I feel good and I am happy that I did what I set out to do - complete this challenge.  Hopefully more good things are to come.

:D

Okay, I know I started this with the "hope" that I would find inspiration but sadly my life away from this has sabotaged me. I'm no longer on the Whole 30 program. I've let myself down and I am not a leader in this at all. But I am off Whole 30 as of today. 

I sabotaged myself but it's food and I am not going to guilt myself about it. It's not justification but I am my worst enemy in this. I'm so sad and I feel embarrassed about it all. 

Lisa you are awesome. Trying to bring your daughters along with this is so inspirational you are obviously helping them through this and for that you are always the momma bear. Good for you and your kids!!

Ya'll have a nice day too! 

Please don't give up hope and please don't be embarrassed.  We have all had mis-steps, as well as full face plants into a box doughnuts.  You are in very good company!  And know that any time you want to step back in and give it another try( and I hope you will) we are here to help.  :)

30 Days!!!!!!  I made it.  This morning I had my honey in my coffee.  It was nice but honestly I was building up to it so much it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.  I am not doing anything else different as far as food goes right now mostly because my daughters are doing this.  I think it's better to stick with them.

When I started this I weighed in at 130.6.  I have been trying to diet for 2 years and doing a very good job of it and never was able to get below 126.9 and that was probably for a day.  This morning I got on the scale and I was 125.7.  I was glad to have broken that range. 

I do notice that my pants are looser and I for sure have more energy.  I use to wake up and kind of drag myself around for a while before I was "alert"  Now I feel like when I wake up I am ready to go.  No dragging around trying to come to life. 

I feel like I think differently about food.  I have been totally obsessed with food, weight, eating, recipes...anything to do with food.  Now that stuff really doesn't seem to get to me.  I don't get anxiety when I watch the food channel.  I have been to banquets, a wedding and 2 parties with incredible food or what I though was incredible food and didn't get depressed or let my whole time get ruined from thinking about what to eat or how much to eat or what I would weigh in the morning and how much I would have to starve for days after. 

I feel good and I am happy that I did what I set out to do - complete this challenge.  Hopefully more good things are to come.

Just wanted to say congrats!  Being able to be around big banquets and wedding food without wanting to dive in is a huge step.  I think it shows just how powerful this way of eating is.  Have a great fall and winter!

Congrats, I'm so happy for you! Keep it up, make it a lifestyle choice and have a good rest of the year!

I'll be restarting on October 15th. I'm re-reading the book and getting people I know around me to start thinking about what they eat, letting them know I need to do this. See you all on another forum post on the 15th  :D

Hi there ladies,

I could use a buddy also.  I started the program on Oct. 1 and had to restart on the 4th but have done well so far.  My only issue is I'm not hungry.  I fix a meal that looks great and has a protein, veggies and a fat and when I sit down to eat it I can't eat it all.  I'm not snacking at all but find I just can't eat it all.  I read people are eating 4 egg omelets, loads of veggies and a fat for breakfast and I don't know where they are putting it.  Something is working yesterday my husband wanted to stop at DQ for and ice cream and I told him to go ahead that I did not want him to do without just because of my new eating plan.  I sat with him while he had a blizzard and I only had a glass of water.  We talked and laughed and I never once had any desire for any ice cream.  Several weeks ago anytime I went by DQ I had to stop for a latte.  So something has clicked.  Has anyone else had issues with not being hungry? :wub:

Hi barrybd,  glad to have you join.  I am now on day 8 of my second go round.  I did fine on the first go round and I am actually enjoying the second session even more.  I find I am more confidant about trying new dishes and I guess just more relaxed because of being so much more familiar with things that I wasn't sure about the first time. 

I found I was not as hungry as I usually was before I started this.  I never worried about not eating enough.  I never eat more than one egg, can't imagine eating 3 or 4 at one sitting.  Very exciting that you made it through DQ.  Same thing happened to me with fast food, sat with my cousin while they ate and normally it would have made me crazy not to eat.  It didn't bother me at all and I was shocked. 

hope you have a good day, Lisa