August 4th Start - Riding our own Bike!

Tuni

Good morning. Here are the weigh in results. I'm down 13 lbs and my husband is down 27!!!! I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I decided to go with half n half in my coffee this morning for my dairy reintro. I think the coconut milk is just as tasty so I think I will stick with it. I have cheese with my lunch. I really want to do the reintro, but I also really want to stick with the plan. I'm just going to follow my schedule and make it work. I want to be able to say I know how these foods affect me. I'm feeling gassy already but I felt that way before I even ate anything this morning, so who knows. Anyway, I will let you know how I feel tomorrow after a day of dairy.

Congrats on your results amnblack!!! Its easy to be jealous of men, it seems that weight come off of them SO EASILY!!! But keep up with your plan and you will be sure to loose more. Doing the re-intro and seeing how things affect you will probably help in your resolve to keep eating right. I know that I felt VERY bloated after eating corn on the cob, and although the corn was very good. I know that I will think much harder in the future about if its worth it or not. I still am feeling the effects! 

Good morning everyone! I stepped on the scale this morning, and I'm down 7lbs! The majority of that was lost around my poochy belly and my butt and thighs, so I am a happy camper. It wasn't so much about the number as it was about the way I feel now in my clothes. 

I've been debating with myself for the past week about what I was going to do on Day 31, and this morning I just decided to keep going. I don't know how long this'll last, but hopefully when I do go off-plan, I'll do it in a methodical, controlled manner, so I can tell exactly what types of foods don't agree with me. The last time I did a Paleo challenge, I really saw results in the second month, so I want to continue as long as I can., and really try to ingrain this into myself as a lifestyle and not a diet. It's easy enough for me to meal prep and eat clean during the week, but this weekend will be the true test.

Good morning. Here are the weigh in results. I'm down 13 lbs and my husband is down 27!!!! I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I decided to go with half n half in my coffee this morning for my dairy reintro. I think the coconut milk is just as tasty so I think I will stick with it. I have cheese with my lunch. I really want to do the reintro, but I also really want to stick with the plan. I'm just going to follow my schedule and make it work. I want to be able to say I know how these foods affect me. I'm feeling gassy already but I felt that way before I even ate anything this morning, so who knows. Anyway, I will let you know how I feel tomorrow after a day of dairy.

Wow! 13 pounds is amazing! I don't think women and men can compare their weight loss. It just seems to be easier for the guys to drop the pounds. 13 pounds in 30 days is nothing short of spectacular!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing how your dairy goes. It's the first thing I'm going to try too. I must admit, I'm pretty excited about having a bowl of ice cream (and strangely, a little nervous).

Great to see you here amnblack!

Good morning everyone! I stepped on the scale this morning, and I'm down 7lbs! The majority of that was lost around my poochy belly and my butt and thighs, so I am a happy camper. It wasn't so much about the number as it was about the way I feel now in my clothes. 

I've been debating with myself for the past week about what I was going to do on Day 31, and this morning I just decided to keep going. I don't know how long this'll last, but hopefully when I do go off-plan, I'll do it in a methodical, controlled manner, so I can tell exactly what types of foods don't agree with me. The last time I did a Paleo challenge, I really saw results in the second month, so I want to continue as long as I can., and really try to ingrain this into myself as a lifestyle and not a diet. It's easy enough for me to meal prep and eat clean during the week, but this weekend will be the true test.

AbbyQ17, congratulations on the 7 pounds! That's fantastic!  

And I'm impressed that you're continuing. I'm excited to hear how it goes for you. I apologize that I don't recall, but is this your 1st Whole30?

I'm feeling a bit like you. I'm not sure if it's just nervousness about eating off plan and then losing control of it, or if it's just that I've become very comfortable with this way of eating, but I don't really feel too much like eating most foods. The exceptions... ice cream once in a while, and of course, wine :).  The next two weeks will be interesting and educational. I'm going to do the reintroduction, but I won't be surprised if I rejoin you in Whole30 land when it's done.

Hello everyone, and welcome to our new home! Don't mind all the boxes, and the electricity should be on soon. One of our neighbors stopped by and dropped off a nice basket of veggies for us to munch on while we get settled. They're on the table... help yourself!

I wish I could have weighed this morning.  Most of the time I love my mobile life, but there are times (like this) when I do miss the comforts of home.  I did bring my tape measure, and here are those results:

Upper arm: 1.5" lost

Waist: 2.5" lost

Bum: 2" lost

Thigh: 1.5" lost

That, with the 11.5 pounds I'm down (I weighed two days ago when I realized I wouldn't be able to today), I'm feeling pretty great! I've never had results like that in 30 days.  It's very motivating to stick close to this way of eating.

I'm so happy to see you all here and am looking forward to seeing how each of our paths unfolds.

Good Morning!!  Congrats to everyone Tuni, aminblack, AbbyQ17, Linzeey28, wvictoria on all your successes!!!  I'm down 12 lbs, but I never took measurements.  Also (confession alert!) I didn't do much exercise, so I know the results could have been better. I'm not planning on changing anything at this time (maybe the exercise), except for that glass on wine on Saturday.  I have no burning desire to bring anything else in at this time.  That could change at any time, but in the mean time, I'll keep keepin on......  I'm hoping I have the same results as AbbyQ17 in that the second month brings more good things. 

And I'm impressed that you're continuing. I'm excited to hear how it goes for you. I apologize that I don't recall, but is this your 1st Whole30?

I'm feeling a bit like you. I'm not sure if it's just nervousness about eating off plan and then losing control of it, or if it's just that I've become very comfortable with this way of eating, but I don't really feel too much like eating most foods. The exceptions... ice cream once in a while, and of course, wine :).  The next two weeks will be interesting and educational. I'm going to do the reintroduction, but I won't be surprised if I rejoin you in Whole30 land when it's done.

@Tuni, yes this is my first Whole30, but I've been eating paleo-ish for over two years...but when I tend to go off the rails, I really go off the rails (think donuts and cake). So it's just easier for me to stay in food prep mode, and make sure I have plenty of good food to eat, then to get lazy and resort to the Chik-fil-A drive thru for dinner.

It's interesting, they just posted a new Dear Melissa post over on the Whole30 blog this morning, and it's specifically about what I'm trying to do with my Whole30. http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/  I'm not afraid of leaving the rules of the Whole30, I just don't care to reintroduce any of the off-plan food items at this time. Of course, come Friday night when my boyfriend wants sushi for dinner, I may change my mind, but I want to make sure I eat clean for the next two days afterwards if I do! And I like what Melissa said in the article about easing up on the no added sugars, i.e. in salad dressings, bacon, etc...to me, that is the most difficult part of the Whole30, because the teensiest bit of sugar is hidden in so many things, and can make eating out so treacherous.

Quick post for now... I lost 14lbs!!! Yay :D

Will post measurement later. Had some half n half in my iced coffee this morning which I thoroughly enjoyed. Don't feel anything from it, yet. Having cheese and a little sour cream for lunch then a compliant meal for dinner.

Well done to everyone here!! You're so fab!

Ok. Back to work....

Congrats to everyone on all of your success!!!!!!!  i did not measure beforehand.  dont know why, just didint.  

http://whole30.com/2012/01/ride-your-own-bike-2/

this is resonating with me today.  i'm feeling depressed.  IDK if it's the dairy or the fact that the 30 days are up and i'm SCARED.  i dont feel like i'm confused, i feel like i'm scared to not have the confines of the rules. i'm ok with the reintroduction because it's a schedule, but i feel like i'm thinking about food like "what will i do when i'm ALLOWED to have those things?"  will i just go on a crazy binge?  at first i said i was excited to have my choices back, but now i feel like i don't want them back.  i like that the rules don't permit certain foods and i have a strict set of rules to follow.   i love food, and while my cravings have gone WAY down, i have always been an over eater.  i dont have to be hungry to eat.  i could eat 6 cookies even if i wasnt really feeling like it.  so, rules help.  also, i love that i have lost 13 lbs, and on a normal sized person, that would probably be a big deal, but like i said before, it takes a good 30 before my clothes even start to feel more comfortable.  i don't think i feel a difference.  i just needed to vent.  maybe it is the dairy.  maybe it's the anxiety of being off the whole30.  

also....i'm too lazy to use correct punctuation when the computer doesnt automatically do it for me.  lol  

I am loving reading everyone's results! Way to go, us!

Here are my results--I did not exercise during my W30

Weight-down 12.2 lbs

Neck 1/2" (weird, right?)

Upper Arm 1/2"

Bust 1"

Waist 1.5"

Hips 1/2"

Under Bust (since my belly is up high--the bad kind) -2"

Like amnblack said, it's hard to notice 12lbs when you are 100lbs overweight, but it's a start. My clothes don't feel that much different--maybe a tiny bit more loose--but progress is being made.

I am staying compliant for at least another 2-3 weeks. I feel like I'm just getting the hang of this; why stop now?  I still have a lot of food issues to work out. I may be binging on more healthy food, but I need to control the binging. During the next 2-3 weeks I'm focusing on:

• Staying compliant--exceptions: breath strips
  • lowering my salt intake--I will still use it for cooking, and will continue to include salty foods (olives, etc), but try not to add any salt to my dish
  • movement--I'm not going to call it exercise, yet. I have a wii fit, and I'm hauling that out to do some biking around wii island
  • focus on my ratio of protein to veggies and fruit. I haven't spent enough time prepping my veggies, and I need to get better at that

I'm hoping that the next 30 days (mostly W30) will bring another 10lb loss, drop a pant size, and 2" off each my waist and hips.

Ride those bikes!

I have an update. i weighed myself this mornimg and i re-checked like 6 times, but the scale says im down 19 lbs. remember how i said i was feelimg bloated and gadsy yesterday when i woke up? well, guess thats what was going on. i feel normal this morning. i dont feel like i had any adverse effects from the dairy yestrday. i had half n half, cheese, and a tiny single serve of vanilla ice cream.

How did everyone else's day 31 go if you were experimenting.

I'm continuing with the Whole30 program for the most part. I hit the farmer's market yesterday and tried a sample of curry with rice, and it was like an ice cream sample sized spoon - less rice than you'd get in a cucumber roll. Other than that, I'm still compliant. I think, instead of adding foods back in over the course of a week, I'm going to add them in when I think I want it. Like, if I know I've got a dinner out w/friends at the local taco joint coming up, I'll add in legumes beforehand and see if I can eat them. 

I'm mostly worried that I'll easily slide back to my snacking/sugar loving self really easily, so I'm taking it slow. 

I forgot to take measurements last night, but I hopped on the scale on Day 31, and I've lost 6 lbs with zero exercise. So. . . time to dust off the fitbit. (If anyone has one and wants to be fitbit buddies, let me know!)

I think I'm going along the same path as the-ames.  I'm going to stay with the Whole30, but cross the food bridges when I come to them.  I'm not ready to give up the structure yet.  I DO need to add more exercise though. 

Amnblack - Contrats on the lbs!!!  That's pretty significant. 

@ amnblack - 19 pounds! Holy connoli! That's serious. Congratulations!

@ Trimhealthymum - I'm so glad things are going well so far!

@ wvictoria - it sounds like you have a solid plan moving forward.  I know what you mean about the breath strips. I had a surprisingly hard time with giving up mints, gum, listerine strips, etc. I don't think I have excessively bad breath or anything (hahahaha) but they're just so darn refreshing!

@ the-ames - This fitbit thing has me so tempted. I started a new budget this month and am trying so hard to behave.  I already have a garmin, so I don't need a fitbit. Gosh, they do look like fun though.

@ amron - I look forward to hearing how it goes with your reintroduction. In the meantime, it sounds like you're doing great!

I'm curious how you all are handling the Whole30 lifestyle in terms of your relationship with other people.  Do you tell the people around you about it, or do you wait for them to ask? Is there anyone in your life who seems annoyed that you're doing this?

Day 31 did not go according to plan for me.  Apparently something in my brain was not buying the idea that I was still doing the Whole30 until Friday.  So, I ended up introducing dairy yesterday. I had some cheese and sour cream with dinner and some ice cream last night.  Everything else was compliant.

Interestingly, when I woke up this morning I felt great about eating Whole30 again.  I happily had some roast beef, snap peas, and tomatoes for Meal 1, and have a compliant lunch planned (pork chop and steamed veggies). I'm not sure what's up for dinner yet, but I trust it will be compliant.  I was a little worried that once I started reintroduction I would go careening off the food cliff, but it didn't happen.  Cheese and ice cream are a couple of my favorite things and they didn't seem to trigger any kind of desire for more, or for other off-plan food.  SUCCESS!

I hope you're all having a blast on your bikes today!

@tuni. I was worried too about the reintro too but I feel great today being back on plan. And the foods I ate yesterday didn't wake up anything inside so I'm good I think. In response to your question about other people, I tell everyone, only because I know myself well enough that if I don't, I won't keep myself accountable. I've told everyone I see in a daily basis that I'm GOING to lose 100 lbs. they're pretty supportive. If they have something negative to say, that's their problem. This is working for me and is healthier than whatever fad they have going on. And I win in the end. But I am extremely well read on nutrition and as far as I'm concerned, I have based my decision on real research, not what i "think" might be a good idea today. Noatter what, I'm sticking with this.

Great job guys!!! This is my second whole30 back to back, I started July 1st. And began another one sept. 1st. I'm down 31 lbs, have decided to throw my scale away for good now that i've weighed in at a weight i've not been at since high school and its making me nervous for some reason. I have taken before and after pictures every 4 weeks and man is there is difference!!!! Way more of a push to keep going than any scale # could give me! Here's to a successful September Whole30!

@kailes006- great work!! very inspirational. i'm not ready to ditch the scale yet because even with significant weigt loss, i dont always see the results in the mirror so te numbers are reassuring. maybe some day.

So i caught my husband red handed. i found a starbucks wrapper in his car and it said "choc chp" on it. when i told him his girlfriend left it in the car he said, "oh yeah, that wasnt my girlfriend; it was me." lol. at the time he was holding a large dunkin donuts coffee full of carmel syrup. he said he thougt we were off for 10 days and then back on plan. i clarified that the reintroduction was 10 days and then we were back on plan. we are supposed to do gluten tomorrow so i hope he hasnt totally destroyed his results in the last 2days if so, im in this for me and im not going to let him falling off te wagon bring me down with him. i have you guys right? still going stron on my in between days.

Onwards! I did in fact have a surprise lunch hangout at the local taco joint - I was joking in my post, but then it happened. I decided, after much staring at the menu, that this would be a grain dinner, so I had a salad with some kind of amazing chicken, and MAYBE 10 of the corn tortilla chips. Pretty proud of that, because my usual is to eat them ALL. 

dinner was compliant, breakfast was kind of a non-event this morning because I overslept, and lunch will be compliant. One thing I did notice is the urge to just chow down on the chips was gone (mostly). I ignored them without even thinking about it, and when I did decide to eat a few, I was able to just eat a few. Lovely. There was some roasted corn on the side of the salad, and I had a little of that. 

I'm planning a small grocery shop after work today. Out of veggies, and I've got to get through the weekend. Here's an upside - I live with my parents (because of REASONS) and watching me do this whole30 has been good for them, I think. 

So I spent 2 days reintroducing dairy. My first day I didn't feel a difference, my skin did seem to redden in areas by evening but I was out in the sun too, so I decided to do another day. My 2nd day I was craving a creamy iced coffee, this week has been crazy humid n hot and so I bought one, sugar free. Then I had a "steak bowl" with organic cheese and sour cream. I didn't feel so good afterwards and decided dairy probably isn't for me. I had an energy slump, my skin itched and became rough and red in some places, especially my face. It's like almost over night my skin went from beautiful glowing to red and oily.

Also, I received a gift from India from one of my clients which had sugar in. I only tasted a tiny sample and gave the rest away. My meal last night and today have been fully compliant. Tonight however my husband and I are having a picnic on the roof with wine and tomorrow we are going out to dinner. I said that just for today and tomorrow he can choose anything for us without worrying if I can eat it or not. This will probably be our last "fancy restaurant" weekend this year since we have a gazillion birthdays coming up, thanks giving and Christmas. Those in themselves will be testing lol. Sunday I will be starting another whole30.

Last night I bought a dress for our weekend, it's a size 14. Before I did my whole 30 I was a 16/18 so I'm so happy, I only tried it on because they didn't have a 16 and wanted "to see how much more I have to lose". 2 years ago I was a size 28... it's hard for me to feel anything but that same size, but slowly I'm adjusting. I really couldn't believe that I could wear a 14 now though and stood in that changing room for about 20 mins just staring and giving myself a little talk haha.

I'm trying to ride my own bike and I crashed. HARD. 

I'm so proud of all of you who have been doing slow and correct reintroduction's, and I know that I made a choice because of my move, but I am definitely falling down a slippery slope. 

Yesterday I ate a whole bunch of potato chips and 3 mini cupcakes. It was horrible. I mean terrible. I felt like crap, but I was just eating them, and then I felt sad and I still ate a peach after dinner. I'm scared that I woke up my sugar dragon now, because today all i want to do is snack and eat sweets, but I am not giving in!!! I have eaten compliant the whole day, and I know that I will probably have to stay this way for a few days to get back to a good place where I feel like I am in control again. 

I know volume-wise it wasn't a big binge. I would have eaten MUCH more than that before, however it was more than I meant to eat and that freaks me out. What if I will never have self control?!?! What if I will always feel guilty for eating things that are off plan??

Is anyone else struggling with finding balance? I feel like a week ago I was in an amazing place, but now I am back to square one. Any advice would be good. 

I know this is all a good learning experience, and I went off the whole 30 because I wanted to be able to not stress, but maybe I have caused more? Maybe I should start another? I just think that trying to be compliant while moving all my stuff across country will be so stressful.... 

Hellllpppppppppp!!! What do I do?!?!?!?!? 

linzeey28 ~ Sounds like you have LOTS of stress, but this may just be a slip because you are acknowledging what you did and what you would change.  I have gone to many trainings on addiction, and the thought of "curing" an addiction in  30 days is illogical.  For me, the 30 days isn't enough, that's why I'm continuing on.  I don't trust myself yet, and until I do, I have to have lots of structure.  It's kinda weird not being in the "30", I have been feeling a little lost.  I guess this could be looked at as transitioning.  Make achievable goals, ones that you will be able to keep while you move.  It may not be whole30, but do what works for you, so that you can feel successful.  You get to be in charge!!! 

Archived