August 4th Start - Riding our own Bike!

Tuni

Good morning!

It's interesting, they just posted a new Dear Melissa post over on the Whole30 blog this morning, and it's specifically about what I'm trying to do with my Whole30. http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/  I'm not afraid of leaving the rules of the Whole30, I just don't care to reintroduce any of the off-plan food items at this time. 

Thanks for that link! Saved my life right there! Haha, sorry if my last post sounded desperate and whiney… it was! lol

But after reading that article, especially this part: 

"Finally, an important point, and something that trips up many Whole30’ers during their reintroduction. If at any point, you start to feel out of control (like what you’ve reintroduced woke up your Sugar Dragon), get back on the Whole30 for as long as it takes to stabilize. This is most common with the reintroduction of sugary foods or gluten grains—eating muffins, chocolate, “dessert,” or bread again can make some people rabid with desire for processed carbs and sugar again. So be on the lookout for cravings rearing their ugly heads, and halt that process before it takes over your brain by returning to a strict Whole30.Does this advice sound a little… extreme? Like, really, will I feel out of control after just a day of off-plan food? Yeah, you might. And we take sugar and carb-addiction very seriously around here so please, listen to us, and don’t feel like a failure if you have to jump back on the Whole30 for a few days to calm things down. You’re actually succeeding, because you’re not afraid to do the best thing for you, your long-term health, and relationship with food. Winning"

After reading that I feel like I'm not quite so crazy after all. I'm going to jump back on the strict bandwagon for a few days to re-set. Have a great weekend everyone & keep on kepin' on! 

Oh man I feel awful. I'm so bloated, I'm retaining enough water to fill a small pond and I feel nauseous. I should have kept going because my ugly cravings and lack of self control made a comeback.

Yesterday I bought a pumpkin latte and a donut ..WHAT? smh. I had 2 sips of it and found it terribly sweet so got rid of it and I had a small taste of the donut and chucked it away. Last night I had some California rolls that my hubby had bought me. This morning I had coffee with cream. I can feel myself start on the slippery slope even though I feel disgusting. I know that if I give in to the guilt I will get even worse. I decided to do another whole30 nxt week, only I'm going to make it a whole90 lol.

@trimhealthymum HANG ON! No going down that slippery slope now. You've come too far to go there. Just think how you felt in that dressing room. Pretty soon you'll be repeating that experience with a size 12! Come join me on a continuation of the W30. Why do reintro if everything is going smoothly? The only things I'm changing are allowing those darn breath strips and not worrying as much if I eat at a restaurant. I will still order healthy foods and preparations, but I won't stress as much wondering if the au jus has soy or if they sprayed the steamed broccoli with butter.  My SO is making his yummy honey mustard wings for game day tomorrow, and I am going to eat some--they are made with honey, not sugar. Other than that I made some zucchini chips, boiled some eggs to make deviled eggs, and cut up some veggies for my "game-day" snacks. You can do this!

@linzeey28 I'm glad you're feeling better. You are not crazy, but the relationships that we've built with foods are. Maybe going OFF W30 is more stressful right now than staying on it. With moving, everything in your life is changing. One thing that you can take control of is what goes into your mouth. You might find that sticking with the W30 for now actually helps relieve your stress. I know that I'm not ready to go off it. I have 50 years of bad habits to break, and 30 days is not enough for me. Whatever you choose to do, feel peace about it. Know that you are choosing--not failing.

@theames I have a fitbit. I'll be your friend. How do we do that? I just recharged it so I can start using it again along with my wii fit.

Thanks wvictoria. I'm with you. I refuse to go back and I'm looking forward to the day I get into the 12.

I just got back from a lovely meal with my hubby and tomorrow I will be whole30 compliant again. I decided, after some thought, the fact that I threw the donuts and gave the latte away after a little taste is a victory, a month ago I would have devoured them.

I have a fitbit too, here is my profile, you can friend me from there if you want and I will friend you too.

The boyfriend and I decided to go out for BBQ last night (one of my faves), so I decided to ease up on the rules a bit. I ordered a pulled pork platter with sweet potato chips and cole slaw as my sides. There was definitely sugar in the BBQ sauce and coleslaw, and I'm sure the chips were fried in soybean oil. I had a bit of indigestion after eating, but I'm feeling pretty good today. I had scrambled eggs and Aidell's chicken apple sausage for breakfast, and I'm contemplating lunch now. I really need to run to the store and food prep this afternoon, but just feel like being lazy! Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

@amron--now I understand your user name! ;)  We are fitbit pals (but it's the opening day of football, so my butt is pretty much glued to the sofa today so don't expect too much)

I had my first non-compliant food since August 4th. The BF made honey mustard onion wings. The only non-compliant ingredient was honey, and I ate on plan the rest of the day. The zucchini chips I made yesterday were delish. So far I don't feel any reaction to having the honey. The wings were wonderful, but I know he only makes them once or twice during the football season, so it's nothing I'm going to go crazy eating all the time. I feel good about making an informed choice, and I have no plans to eat anything else off-plan in the near future. I did my cook-up today like always.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

It's been so great reading everyone's posts.  I've been crazy busy the last few days. I'm experiencing the "if it rains it pours" phenomenon.  

Other than the insanity of my life, things have been going well. I didn't reintroduce beyond dairy. It's just been too crazy to try to figure out which grains are gluten, which are not, etc. so I've just been sticking with the program. The only exception to that is alcohol.  I did have several drinks this weekend and LOVED every one of them. I stuck with vodka and LaCroix so had no sugar demon issues.  One interesting thing about the dairy, I just don't seem to like it as much. The cheese seemed... greasy? That's not an exact description, but as close as I can get. It just didn't really appeal to me (and it was my favorite cheese). The ice cream seemed too sweet. I may take another run at it with a different flavor, but so far, I'm still loving the meat and veggies.

I ended up dumping all my money into a car for my 17 year old son.  He'd managed to get himself a 1000cc motorcycle that I was terrified over. When he became willing, I jumped at the chance to "buy" it from him so he could get a car.  That means no fitbit for me right now.  I'll cheer you all on from the sidelines though!!

My fitbit email (which is also my real email, whoops) is [email protected]. I'll try and get invites out today or tomorrow, but if I don't send one to you, feel free to send one to me! No exclusions in the August 4 group. I'm hoping it cools down some and stops raining so I can get out and walk again. My walking is definitely weather-dependent. 

Some background. I live with my parents because it's expensive where we live, and it's nice that I can help them out, and still pay cheap rent. Also, they travel a lot - they have an RV (a pull-behind) and will go on trips for weeks at a time. So I'm their built-in housesitter, and dogsitter when they decide not to take the dogs with them. Whole30 with them gone? EASY AS PIE. Whole30 with them here? Soooo difficult, because Mom does most of the cooking, and when I do my own, Dad forgets that they're not leftovers for him and eats them. ::facepalm::  I'm working on staying mostly compliant, though. They're leaving in a couple of weeks for about a month, and if I need to, I can do a quick Whole14 and get reset again.

Saturday night I had about a half cup white rice with dinner. Sunday night, my tummy hated me in a way that it hasn't for weeks. Guess what? Grains are apparently off the menu forever. I say forever, but there will be times that I'm going to eat the sushi roll and just accept the consequences. Otherwise, I think I"m doing decently. Tonight I promise (myself) that I will measure!

Hey everyone. Just checking in, I'm feeling much better after my mild melt-down/freak out. I've decided that for the time being I will stick to the plan with everything I cook and eat within my own home, and when I am eating out I will stick to the plan, with the exception of sauces and dressings. My one exception is alcohol, which I will consume in moderation at home or while eating out, no more than 2 times a week. I guess i just needed some rules so that I don't get out of hand. Turns out I'm not too good at making my own decisions or doing things in moderation. And I agree with all of you who concluded that going off plan right now was creating more stress. I think this modified plan will allow me to feel good about my food choices, but also gives me a little wiggle room for having some fun while saying goodbye to friends and family. 

Glad to hear that all of you are still going strong! 

@wvictoria I sent you a fitbit invitation, my email is [email protected] ~ just in case you're wondering who sent the invite

@triphealthymum ~ I didn't see a place to put a user name, just email.  I'm not very familiar with this, so this could totally be user error :(

mine is [email protected]

I added a couple of you already :D Anyone else wants to add me then feel free :) I just got mine recharged today and ready to put to use!

Hey everyone! My email is [email protected], if you want to add me!

I must confess, I had dessert out last night (coconut banana cream pie - coconut and bananas are paleo, right??!?), but you know what? I'm ok with it. I shared it with my boyfriend, I'm not feeling terrible from it (although I did have some road rage on the way into work this morning, could it have been sugar-fueled?!?), and I'm back to my healthy-eating habits again today. I cooked up some yummy food yesterday to have on hand for the week, and even tested a new recipe (Nom Nom Paleo's Spicy Tuna Cakes) which I haven't tried yet!

For me, the mission going forward is to keep on pushing even when I get tired of the seemingly endless meal prep, week after week. If I can continue to eat clean throughout the week, and maybe go off-plan just a bit on the weekends (I'm by no means condoning dessert every weekend, but maybe sushi or chips and guac or something like that), I think that it will be a sustainable plan. I did stand firm on Saturday afternoon, picking up a Chipotle salad with carnitas, pico, medium salsa, and guac instead of the Jersey Mike's subs that everyone else I was with was having, so I consider that a win. 

I hope you guys are having a fantastic start to the week! 

@linzeey28- im right there with you. i like rules too. it makes me moremaccountable. obviously not having rules hasnt worked out for me so i need them for now.

So far i have tried dairy and gluten without any noticable side effects. tomorrow is legumes. yestersay i was at a brunch in honor of my late mother in law and u had fruit, one bite of quiche whuch was terible and 2 bites of muffin which was good but i stopped myself. i did not drink themjuice but did have cream in my coffee. we went out for dinner because we were not home and i had steak with brussel sprouts and asparagus. i also had 2 glasses of wine. overall i was happy with my day of "offroading". tomorrowmis legumes. i will definitely have peanut butter and beans.

Overall i feel good but need to remain cautious.

Great job everyone for working so hard on your real world diets.

Lol. you can definitely tell when i write a post on my tablet or phone. baaaad! so my latest challenge is that i feel like MAYBE my clothes fit better but the weight is remaining the same. i know its a mental game during these times, but i need some reassurance. im not planning on falling off the wagon. just need a mental boost :-)

Its SO hard to stay motivated when the weight is staying the same!!! I know that its just a number, however I find it to be SO encouraging and SO discouraging when the number changes!!! I know that's why they tell you to throw away the scale. Because it totally affects your motivation even when you KNOW you are making good choices!!! This is something that I am struggling with as well. Slow and steady, slow and steady, I wanted a TRANSFORMATION!!!!! 

But we must just keep at it!! We have to realize that one month can't fix everything, and that long term goals take long term commitment! 

Cloths fitting better, even if its a MAYBE is still a big improvement. Its such a mental game!! if I eat well and exercise for a few days straight I totally feel so much better when I go cloths shopping or get dressed up. There's not a change in my weight at all, more a change in my mind! I feel that my self image has so much to do with how I feel, mentally and physically. If I am feeling good,  I am looking good, and then I eat well and work out. But the total opposite is true too, and it can be such a slippery slope. If I feel like crap and then i think i look terrible and then i eat bad foods and feel guilty!! ugh. 

So update, for me I feel that I have balanced back out... the foods that I felt like I was craving - eating - feeling guilty about don't seem so appealing anymore and I've been compliant with out really thinking about it for the past few days. that is a relief. I was feeling like a nut case for a while there!! 

How is everyone else out there? Still hanging in? 

I'm still hanging in there, but it seems like I'm kind of stagnating. I agree with linzeey28 about the scale. I probably should just put it back in the closet, but now that the W30 is technically over I don't HAVE to, so I haven't. Except for eating the honey/mustard wings last Sunday, I've stayed completely complaint, but I have not lost any additional weight nor do my clothes fit any better. I really don't have any cravings to go back to any of my old foods--I'm am satisfied with the W30 lifestyle. I'm not even bored with the foods. I'm still trying new recipes, still doing my cook-ups, still keeping on keeping on. I'm not even eating as much as I used to--stomach shrinking or just eating foods that satisfy me better.

I am still struggling with the psychological pull of food, though. Evenings are the worst. That's the only 'craving' I have--it's not for a specific food, just the comfort of having a snack while watching TV during my down time. The times I have given in, I've eaten compliant foods and they satisfy that need, but we are supposed to be getting beyond that.

The big thing that is probably causing my stagnation is that I STILL have not done any exercising. I just can't figure out when to fit it into my day. I am up at 5, leave for school at 5:45, work until at least 6pm (I'm also directing our fall play), have a 45 min drive home, get home around 7, warm up dinner, do a load of laundry and a load of dishes and sit down to grade some papers (high school writing teacher--lots of essays to grade), do lesson plans, take care of my department duties (I'm the department head), make parent phone calls, and 'try' to be in bed by 9 so I can get my 8 hrs of sleep. If I don't get that sleep I don't function well the next day. I know, I know, everyone is busy, and they find time. The play will be over October 26--maybe after that?

The last time I was successful losing weight I worked right across the street from the YMCA, and I would go there right after school and work out. I also only lived about 5 minutes from school. I could probably find a gym between school and home, but once I'm in that car for that commute I don't stop for anything--even when we were out of toilet paper! I can't move and I am not changing my job, so I'm going to have to change my priorities. I just want exercise to be something I look forward to, not something I dread because all I can think about is all the stuff I should be doing.

Okay, back to work. I probably could have walked a mile instead of writing this!

vicki

wvictoria ~ I'm the same with exercising.  I now and WEARING my fitbit, and that has been making me get a little walking in, however, I haven't it the magic 10,000 steps yet.  I think I may go out for a walk in a while. 

I'm still being compliant, except for a couple glasses of wine last Saturday, but I knew that would happen.  There is still something psychological going on, but I don't think I've pinned it down.  Sometimes I feel like I want something, but I don't know what that something would be and would it be worth it.  I think the only thing I want to change up is breakfast.  I used to do a shake every morning with Arbonne protein powder.  I does have sugar and stevia, but I can just use one scoop and be fine.  I'm getting tired of making breakfast, and I'm finding I'm throwing away about half of it. 

I agree about the scale.  I keep thinking I need to switch it up a bit to lose weight.  Maybe less fat?  Less food? 

just checking in.  how's everyone doing?  i'm still doing pretty well.  i had a weekend of some off roading items, like popcorn and a tiny, microscopic piece of pizza, and wine, but other than that i've pretty much stuck with the w30 as planned.  i'm giving myself permission to make less healthy choices when i feel it is necessary.  my weight loss has stalled though.  i'm looking into trying to cut back a little on the starchy carbs, which i have been successful at so far.  no matter how bad i want to eat a piece of key lime pie (did i mention my husband bought 4 pies?!?!?). i'm not going to cave.  i'm saving it for when it means something to me.  like beer at the oddball comedy tour with Sarah Silverman and Louis CK this weekend!!!  i feel like my diet has been a success and no matter how the scale looks, i'm sticking with this.  i feel better and am not so food oriented anymore.  maybe i am just having a temporary plateau.  

my husband and baby and i are all sick.  

tell me how you guys are doing?!?!

Hey amnblack - I'm still here!!  Sorry about the family being sick :(  

I'm still hanging in there, keeping to the original plan, except for wine a couple of times.  I'm going to Italy on Tuesday and the plan is to do my best, but I will want to taste certain things.  I'm a little scared about how certain things might make me feel.  My weight loss seems to be slow, but I haven't weighed since day 34 or so.  I believe that this is going to be a way of life, I'm just trying to work on what that will look like.  All I know is that my obsession with food has diminished, but my fear is that it could come back. 

Anyway, I doubt that I'll be checking in when I go to Italy.  My phone is 3G so I won't be connected unless there is wifi. I hope everyone is doing well.  Wish me positive thoughts for not going food stupid in Italy :lol:

Hey everybody. Welcome to my favorite season.  Now if I can just quit being tempted to make all those yummy fall desserts.

I'm just checking in to see how everyone's doing.  I'm still trying to keep as close to 100% W30 as possible, but I have gone to the Asian buffet a couple of times, and although I was careful about what I ate, I didn't stress over it. I even had a couple of pieces of sushi, and the rice didn't seem to bother me. I did have a piece of cheese on a leftover burger one night, though, and that did cause some tummy distress, so I'm going to keep staying away from dairy for the most part.

Basically I'm cooking W30 except using regular bacon and sausage. I'm still making my own mayo, using ghee, and using vinegar and oil on my salad. We only go out once a week, and I'm careful, but not anal about it.

I've only lost a couple of pounds since the end of the W30, but I've lost another 1/2 inch here and there. I decided to actually log my calories for a week to see if I was eating more than I thought I was. My days ranged from 1100-1300 calories, mostly depending on the proteins I ate. I think I was over 1400 one day. I'm going to continue logging for one more week so I get a good idea of what's going in my body. Of course my eggs throw my numbers all off, but I'm not really worried about that. I have to get my blood work done next month, that will be the real tell.

Despite my repeated resolutions to add some movement to the mix, I had yet to do that...until today. This morning I pulled out the wii fit and hooked it up. I spent an enjoyable 40 minutes "playing" enough to induce a sweat. I even did 3 minutes of running! I honestly don't think I could have done that before the W30, so even though I haven't been exercising, I think my body feels more receptive to moving, if that makes sense.

I hope everyone is doing well.

I need a pep talk. I think I need a day or two off from trying so hard. I'm going to take the weekend to regroup and come up with a new plan. My weight loss has completely halted at 21lbs. I have at least 80 to go so I need a new plan. Monday I'm going to go back to strict rules about food. I'm not at a place where I can cheat at all really and have any results. I think I need to go a more ketogenic route. But lower fat. At least for a while. I've also been feeling really depressed since having beer over the weekend.

Archived