Started September 1st, but concerned.

kemeki

Hi Everyone,

I decided to start my first Whole 30 on September 1st - go me! I am using Whole 30 to guide me in a food elimination diet so that I can determine if any of the equivocal results I received on a food allergy blood test are actually allergies - and when I read about the program and how it changes your relationship with food, I knew it was the program I had to join.

I am very, very overweight (morbidly obese technically, but who likes that term?) and have struggled with food my entire life (I'm 29). I am a yo-yo dieter and it's important to me in my head that I don't consider this another "diet" (with weight loss being the main goal).  I keep telling myself that I'm doing this because it's medically necessary (yeah, yeah, being obese makes any diet medically necessary, shush).  I don't even want to voice any concerns I may have in completing the program, because I'm afraid that will start allowing the idea in my brain - and no, I cannot quit!

However, I have some limitations:

• Food allergies: A couple of the foods that appeared as abnormal in my allergy test are carrots, onions, and egg whites! Even Whole 30 can't help me eliminate those! I'm going to try to cut them down, a lot, but I can't cut them out just for the ease of doing this program.
  • Money: I'm struggling with money, and I just can't afford farm-raised and grass-fed and all organic yadda yadda. So I'm trying to make the best choices possible while trying to stay in my budget.

There's more, but I'll spare you.  Anyway, I made it through Day 1 and figured I'd introduce myself here :)

Hi Kemeki,

Congrats on your decision to do the W30!  This is the first step to healing your body.  However your healing will be delayed as long as you include carrots, onions and egg whites in your diet.  There are so many other things that you can eat instead!  My doc once put it to me this way.  Every time you eat something that doesn't agree with your body, it's like banging your arm.  You get a big bruise, right?  Then you eat it again and you get another bruise and again and your get another bruise.  So the inside of your body is all black and blue from the food you have been eating and this creates inflamation which is the source of all disease.  If you want to see great results from your W30 then you must eliminate these offenders.

To help you meal plan I highly recommend Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed and Well Fed 2.  She lays out an easy way to get healthy and W30 compliant meals on the table every night.  I have also attached the W30 shopping list and meal planning template which must be followed exactly.  Buy what you can afford, there are lots of choices!

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

Good luck, you can do it!

My doc once put it to me this way.  Every time you eat something that doesn't agree with your body, it's like banging your arm.  You get a big bruise, right?  Then you eat it again and you get another bruise and again and your get another bruise.  So the inside of your body is all black and blue from the food you have been eating and this creates inflammation which is the source of all disease.  If you want to see great results from your W30 then you must eliminate these offenders.

GENIUS! Love that analogy! 

• Food allergies: A couple of the foods that appeared as abnormal in my allergy test are carrots, onions, and egg whites! Even Whole 30 can't help me eliminate those! I'm going to try to cut them down, a lot, but I can't cut them out just for the ease of doing this program.

I would seriously try to cut out everything that might be an allergen, as that's the only way you'll be able to isolate the things that truly are when you re-introduce them. 

Yes, you may need more resources than the Whole30 protocol offers, but you can find tons of information about the AIP (auto-immune protocol) out there. If you can get your hands on a copy of Practical Paleo there is a full month's worth of AIP-compliant meals. 

I'm not saying it will be easy, but it WILL be worth it. 

Thanks everyone! I love the bruise analogy as well.  Guess I won't be getting frozen mixed veggies from now on (I searched the entire frozen food aisle and I couldn't find anything that didn't have something I was potentially allergic to, unless it wasn't mixed of course).

Thanks everyone! I love the bruise analogy as well.  Guess I won't be getting frozen mixed veggies from now on (I searched the entire frozen food aisle and I couldn't find anything that didn't have something I was potentially allergic to, unless it wasn't mixed of course).

Maybe this is where you buy organic.  Organic frozen veggies typically don't have anything other additives. 

You can do it!;-)

Kemeki-- Don't listen to the negative talk from your brain.  The REAL you wants to be healthy.  Anybody can "afford" the Whole30.  Buying all organic is NOT a requirement.  I was happy to be able to get everything required for the Whole30 at Walmart: meat, seafood/fish and vegetables and healthy fats.  Everything else (even fruit) is optional. I like vegetable mixes too.  With a few gallon size ziplocs you can custom make frozen vegetable mixes you like and can have.  Just buy bags of the single veggies and re-package them in blends that you can change to suit your fancy :P   Most bagged frozen veggies have no additives but check the label to be sure.

Morbid obesity at 29 is no joke and no fun.  Actually "some of my best friends have morbid obesity" and I know they have issues that I probably can't relate to because I haven't experienced them.  In addition to posting here, please try to find a support group of people with the same critical challenge.  

Good Luck & hang in there!

Hi Everyone,

I decided to start my first Whole 30 on September 1st - go me! I am using Whole 30 to guide me in a food elimination diet so that I can determine if any of the equivocal results I received on a food allergy blood test are actually allergies - and when I read about the program and how it changes your relationship with food, I knew it was the program I had to join.

I am very, very overweight (morbidly obese technically, but who likes that term?) and have struggled with food my entire life (I'm 29). I am a yo-yo dieter and it's important to me in my head that I don't consider this another "diet" (with weight loss being the main goal).  I keep telling myself that I'm doing this because it's medically necessary (yeah, yeah, being obese makes any diet medically necessary, shush).  I don't even want to voice any concerns I may have in completing the program, because I'm afraid that will start allowing the idea in my brain - and no, I cannot quit!

However, I have some limitations:

• Money: I'm struggling with money, and I just can't afford farm-raised and grass-fed and all organic yadda yadda. So I'm trying to make the best choices possible while trying to stay in my budget.
There's more, but I'll spare you.  Anyway, I made it through Day 1 and figured I'd introduce myself here :)

Hi Kemeki,

I haven't seen you on here for a few days. How are you doing? Remember we are here to help!

Archived