The Great Pancake controversy

aimeegoudas

Okay - major debate in a number of groups. Let me start by stating I have read the book and I "get it."

In the context of paleo pancakes, they are totally swypo, for anyone, because you are trying to make a normal food paleo....you use alternate flours, baking soda, etc., and you get a pancake.

What if....you are exhausted by eggs. Can't deal with another scramble, omelet, sunnyside, hard-boiled....Egg "muffins" are okay....they are eggs mixed with other savory, non-flour ingredients and baked in a muffin tin for ease and portability. So you mix some pureed pumpkin into your scrambled eggs and cook. Because of gravity, centrifugal force, whatever, they happen to form a circle on the pan and resemble a pancake....but they are basically an omelet. Same goes for egg and banana...etc.

Basically scrambled eggs with fruit/veg. So if i zhuzh (sp?) them in the pan so they are messy looking like a scramble, they are okay, or if i fill the whole pan and call it an omelet, it's fine, but if they form a circle ("pancake") they are not okay and swypo?

These pancakes happen to fit in a ziploc in my purse easily so i can sneak into meetings where there is no compliant food to eat. But even for the others who want pancakes...does the shape really make them swypo/noncompliant?

Please give me an official answer!!!

Making a pancake in any form on a Whole30 is not compliant. See Whole30 rules and here are the details from the Whole30  Can I Have Guide:

"Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored. Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.HFJu3wlI.dpufI

If you're exhausted by eggs, take a break from eating them.  :)  Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast for boatloads of ideas for non-egg breakfast options.

I am looking for meals that are ziploc portable, can be snuck into a meeting, and (preferably) don't contain fructose as I have FM. portable whole foods that aren't snacks is super challenging!

Aidell's chicken and apple sausages, hot dogs (there are compliant options out there), meatballs, hamburger or turkey patties, grilled chicken breast, this meatloaf: http://paleomg.com/summer-breakfast-meatloaf/, roasted sweet potato cubes, raw vegetables, olives, hard-boiled eggs...

I may have just ruined my whole30 because I had pumpkin mixed into my scrambled eggs with salmon and spinach this morning??
I would make it as an omelette/frittata and chop it into quarters for a carry snack - that's what I have for lunch every day/

Oh my gosh Aimee, you just made me crack up (no egg pun intended, just like no pancake intended - it was gravity or something!). ;)

I think you're fine. I'm no "official" or moderator, but splitting hairs over the existential questions of "what is a pancake" gets ridiculous around here. Does your meal fit the template? Got your full serving of protein? Veggies? Fat? Then who cares if it is a peculiar roundish shape?! If it works for you and doesn't feed your sugar dragon (I.e. exercise extreme caution with bananas...that might be abusing the privilege) then I say go for it. I mush up sweet potato with my eggs, with spinach and baby kale. Is it mildly sweet and delicious? Oh yes. Does it keep me full for hours? Yup! It is scrambled because i'm lazy and impatient but if I tried I could probably turn it into something resembling a pancake. And you know what? I REGRET NOTHING! I don't even care for regular pancakes....so there! :)

I totally hear you about the egg burnout. By week 3 I thought I would gag if I ate another egg in ANY form. I took the prohibition about pancakes seriously and this forced me to broaden my thinking and start eating sausages and hamburgers and leftover pork for breakfast, which may be part of the intention. 

However, may I ask a question not related to eggs at all? Why do you need to eat during a meeting in the first place? Sneaking a meal out of a ziplock bag seems to be making your options more limited; could you not carve some time out to eat before or after? 

I totally hear you about the egg burnout. By week 3 I thought I would gag if I ate another egg in ANY form. I took the prohibition about pancakes seriously and this forced me to broaden my thinking and start eating sausages and hamburgers and leftover pork for breakfast, which may be part of the intention. 

However, may I ask a question not related to eggs at all? Why do you need to eat during a meeting in the first place? Sneaking a meal out of a ziplock bag seems to be making your options more limited; could you not carve some time out to eat before or after? 

Today I was in back-to-back meetings from 8am-2pm, not all planned. I had a double-size bulletproof coffee, and thank god because i would have starved. My breakfast was on another floor (where i office). This happens at least twice a week. I can't carry around a cooler or stock 3 fridges, am in and out of the office, or on another floor. Normally i have nuts with me, but snacks aren't allowed.

The epitome of challenge and inconvenience.

Add to that fructose malabsorption, so i can't eat a majority of produce without getting ill.

I may start my jerky company again and make it w30-compliant. or quit.

defeated.

Today I was in back-to-back meetings from 8am-2pm, not all planned.

Eat before, and eat afterwards. You can do this!

It takes a while to learn how much food (and what sorts of foods) are needed to get though a stretch like that, but once you do you are pretty much set. The food template is your starting point, add more protein or fat or vegetables (or all three) from there until you are satiated for the morning. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The epitome of challenge and inconvenience.

Nah, that sounds like a pretty typical day for me. I have a large breakfast around 7 and often don't get to lunch until around 2. It did take me a while to get to the point where I found the right amount to eat for breakfast, and it is sometimes challenging to finish it all because it feels like a HUUUGE amount of food, but it gets me through to a late lunch. In other words, I did exacty as MissMary recommended: 

Eat before, and eat afterwards. You can do this!

It takes a while to learn how much food (and what sorts of foods) are needed to get though a stretch like that, but once you do you are pretty much set. The food template is your starting point, add more protein or fat or vegetables (or all three) from there until you are satiated for the morning. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

• Moderators

Leftover No Fuss Salmon Cakes are so perfect for Meal 1. Make a double batch, everytime.

I always take baggies/containers of raw veggies like baby carrots/snap peas/broccoli/red bell pepper strips so I can get my veggies with no need for cooking when I have to eat on the fly or don't feel like cooking veggies. I cut them all up on Sunday evening and parcel them out so I can grab and go.

I also make my own sausage patties from ground pork and cook them all up ahead of time for another great quick breakfast paired with a hardboiled egg (or not) and whatever veggies I have leftover (or raw).

Hope this helps! You can do this!

Okay - major debate in a number of groups. Let me start by stating I have read the book and I "get it."

In the context of paleo pancakes, they are totally swypo, for anyone, because you are trying to make a normal food paleo....you use alternate flours, baking soda, etc., and you get a pancake.

What if....you are exhausted by eggs. Can't deal with another scramble, omelet, sunnyside, hard-boiled....Egg "muffins" are okay....they are eggs mixed with other savory, non-flour ingredients and baked in a muffin tin for ease and portability. So you mix some pureed pumpkin into your scrambled eggs and cook. Because of gravity, centrifugal force, whatever, they happen to form a circle on the pan and resemble a pancake....but they are basically an omelet. Same goes for egg and banana...etc.

Basically scrambled eggs with fruit/veg. So if i zhuzh (sp?) them in the pan so they are messy looking like a scramble, they are okay, or if i fill the whole pan and call it an omelet, it's fine, but if they form a circle ("pancake") they are not okay and swypo?

These pancakes happen to fit in a ziploc in my purse easily so i can sneak into meetings where there is no compliant food to eat. But even for the others who want pancakes...does the shape really make them swypo/noncompliant?

Please give me an official answer!!!

The key words for me were "sneak into meetings".   That sounds like more a snack than a meal.  

Do you eat meals in meetings?  Maybe you're talking about a lunch meeting but technically,  everyone would be sneaking something in.   I was curious if you were referring to snacks?  As you already know three meals and no snackity items.  :D 

Archived