How to get "everyone else" to follow your wishes...

BrandiSCollins

My kids are 3 and 5 and for the most part, fabulous. My 5 year old has some tantrum issues, that I feel like he should have "outgrown" by now. He starts Kindergarten next Monday. Anyways, I'm 14 days into my first Whole30 and am feeling pretty good, so I'd like to incorporate it more into my children's lives as well. We have a pantry FULL of yuckies! Anyways, here is my question:

My kids spend a good bit of time with grandparents (will be less now that school is starting), and they aren't exactly healthy people (like myself up until 14 days ago). They also have a pantry full of yuckies. (My mother is a while different set of issues) So, do you "lay down the law" and give them hard and fast rules? Or do you give "guidelines"?

When we first started, we definitely went with more simple guidelines - no gluten, no dairy, no corn syrup. Those were easy enough for everyone involved to remember and to pay attention to. Then, as family members got more familiar with our plan, we added in specifics like no grains, etc. Just as this is a learning process for us as adults, and our kids, it's an even bigger learning curve for those outside of our new inspiration.

Also, expect some non-compliance from other caregivers. Be patient. They love you and your kids, but they are not invested in the process like you are. Once they begin to recognize the difference in you and your family, they will be.

Archived