What do you mean there's nothing to eat???? My first Whole 30

sassyboo62

it was just too late to eat another meal.

Okay, I understand that life happens.  It happens to all of us.  I guess I don't understand this statement, though.  You didn't say "I wasn't hungry when I got home" -- you said "it was just too late to eat another meal".  ...Says who?...  I would rather have a couple of late meals, or mini-meals meals close together, than to go all day from breakfast to supper with only some almonds and grapes.

I just want to make sure you are listening to your body, and not trying to follow rules to the point of not giving your body the fuel that it needs.  You have already talked about your OCD here, so I don't think it is unreasonable for me to worry about that a bit.  It really concerned me to read that you woke up not feeling well and dizzy to the point of walking like a crab, but yet you felt like you needed to push yourself through any sort of a workout.

I am not an expert on diabetes, but I would consider myself an expert on general health -- and you made a few statements that just did not sound healthy.

Anyway, I have read your explanations, I am glad you are getting things figured out, and I don't mean to lecture (nor do I think you need it)  ;)  so I will move on.

Magnesium:  Yes, you are probably getting a lot in your diet right now.  Also, in case you didn't know, this can loosen your stools.  So if you've felt like you were going a bit too often and/or it was too loose, that should resolve itself now that you are not taking the Natural Calm.

Potassium:  Definitely try getting some more if you are having leg cramps at night.  It won't hurt to try!  Bananas are an obvious choice, but some folks don't know that potatoes have a surprising amount of potassium in them.  If you started eating regular potatoes, that would also help with your starchy vegetables you want to add in, so -- double benefit.  Of course you can google other potassium sources, but these are the two that come to mind instantly for me.

Workout nutrition:  I get what you are saying, that your workouts are not strenuous.  In this case, the specific post-workout meal is probably not necessary.  But you DO need to eat something before you do this workout -- I would say definitely if it is first thing in the morning, OR if it has been a few hours since your last meal.  Again, listen to your body.  

You don't have to eat hard-boiled eggs.  I have often scrambled 2 eggs in a bit of ghee and that works great.  A couple of days ago, I ate one grilled chicken tender that I had cold in the fridge, with some homemade mayo spread on it.  I mean, there are a lot of protein+fat possibilities beyond hard-boiled eggs, and you will just have to experiment and find what works for you.  I struggled with pre-workout nutrition at the beginning of my first Whole 30 -- it was a big mental hurdle for me, but people gave me suggestions and I ended up being able to figure it out just right.  (You can read through the first page of posts about that here if you are interested:   http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18715-brewer5-first-whole-30/#entry195865)

Anyway, I hope that covers all of your questions I wanted to get back to.  And I am SO glad to hear you got the Natural Calm / blood pressure med interaction figured out!  It sounds like you have a great pharmacist there as a resource -- count yourself blessed for that.  ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewer5 - I don't mind the lecture and I don't mind others telling me their opinions. This is the way I learn.  Please believe me that at 52, I am no longer in the "diet" mentality.  I do not care if I lose weight or inches.  I have accepted my body for what it is with all it's imperfections.  What I want is to be healthy, with healthy blood sugars and maybe, just maybe, live a good long healthy life without having any increase in the problems that I have, and maybe see some reduction in my autoimmune disorders.  I won't justify my not eating that second meal.  Nothing I can say will make a difference because I skipped it.  Lesson learned and I move on.  Just know it wasn't out of any sense of skipping a meal to "lose" weight or nothing foolish like that.  I truly made the call because it was almost 5:00 and I knew we'd be eating at around 7:30.  I just didn't want to eat two full meals back to back like that.  Bad judgment on my part. 

As for the OCD - oh my goodness, that was actually a joke.  I'm not OCD in the real sense of the word.  What I really meant is that my brain won't let me lie to myself that I completed my Whole 30 if I didn't actually comply with the rules and terms.  But I've put the issue of the unknown sulfites to rest too and I'm good with that.  But the one thing I really don't like is my food touching LOL.  That I'm pretty "quirky" about. 

I am convinced it was an adverse reaction to the Natural Calm as I feel pretty terrific, and definitely had the very loose bowels which is why I also think I may have dehydrated some.  Thank you so much for the additional information about pre/post workout nutrition.  I'll ensure from here on out that I eat a protein/fat prior to any workout if it's first thing in the morning. 

Since this is my first Whole 30, I don't expect perfection.  I am human and I make mistakes, but I also admit those mistakes and learn from them.  And then I just better myself from that.  I truly appreciate all your help, concern and info (and even the lectures) ;)

(I'm very OCD and everything has to start on Monday)

I took this quite literally.   :D   I would guess that others have, also.

You will find folks on this forum with ALL sorts of issues -- we see a lot of anxiety, a lot of depression.  OCD falls in with these other mental disorders, and they are all improved with better nutrition & taking better care of ourselves.

One thing I have been thinking about this afternoon is:   What led you to Natural Calm in the first place?  

If you are having trouble sleeping at night, some things to consider are:  Are you using any sort of stimulants, such as caffeine, and/or do you smoke?  Please don't be offended by that question -- I am an ex-smoker myself, and I used to think that it helped with my stress and anxiety -- but I can tell you today that reality was quite the opposite.   ;)  Nicotine is a stimulant, plain and simple.  

Other things to consider are:  Are you doing your workout too close to bedtime?  Even if you see it as "relaxing" -- stretching, yoga, etc -- your body may be perceiving it quite differently.  If you feel it is energizing you in any way, that could be interfering with sleep.  Another thing is showering too close to bedtime.  Some folks are relaxed by a hot bath and feel it helps them sleep, whereas there is something about a shower that can be quite invigorating to your system.  Refreshed is not exactly what you want to be when you are trying to go to sleep.

And last, but not least -- make sure you are sleeping in a room that is BLACK.  I mean, even the light on your alarm clock is too much -- especially if it is anywhere near your face.  The skin on our eyelids is the thinnest skin on the human body, and it was designed this way so as to be sensitive to light.  We are meant to be awake in the daylight and asleep in the dark.  "White noise" also helps -- an air cleaner or fan works at our house.  One of the worst things you can do is to try to sleep with the TV on.  If you do... just... don't.   ;)

Edited to add:  I almost overlooked this one, because it is such a no-brainer to me now -- but it didn't used to be.  NO computer, tablet, phone, or TV in your face while you are trying to wind down for bed.  Pick a time, and tell yourself:  "no screens" past this time.  Stick to it.  Have a routine for winding down at night.  Just as we do this with our children, so we must do this with ourselves.  I don't expect them to go from literally bouncing and climbing the walls to -- BAM -- in bed, and asleep.  We wind down.  We have a routine -- we do the same things, every night, and they do not involve any screens or bright lights.  The light from the computer and the click, click, clicking, and the bringing in of so much information -- that is stimulating to our brains.  We have to settle.

Brewer5 - I am absolutely horrified at myself for having made light of OCD.  I really said that in jest and did NOT take into account how it may affect others.  I know OCD is a very real disease and that is another lesson learned.  Fortunately, I am normally a very happy, sunny, peppy person, but I do know what anxiety and depression are as I suffered from these greatly in my 20's.  I forget that others may read my posts and take away from them, so I will be more careful going forth.  I want others to take the positive and not the negative, but I really wanted an accurate account of my experience.

As to what led me to Natural Calm is the fact that I read so much (and even in the book) that it helps with sleep. I don't really have trouble falling asleep, but staying asleep is another thing.  Mostly it is due to the fact that my sweet husband works out of town all week and I'm alone with my fur-kids.   I normally won't work out past 9:00 and I go to bed around 12:00.  There are no t.v.'s in my room and I turn my alarm clock around so I can't see the light.  I put my phone upside down so I can't see that light either.  But I may have to give up the computer and phone maybe an hour before bedtime, because I normally go from playing a game on my phone to turning out the light.  So that could be part of the problem :(  I can't do white noise however, because I have to "listen" (that is part of the sleeping alone thing).  I don't have a problem sleeping when my husband is home. 

Thank you for taking all this time to enlighten me.  I have learned a lot and appreciate your help more than you know.  I do feel some of that "magic" today and for that I am grateful.

Day 13 - You're Never Too Old To Learn

I am feeling much, much better today.  No dizziness, no lightheadedness, no grogginess.  I am going to say that is one lesson I learned.  Do not take a supplement just because it is recommended by a trusted source without first checking to make sure it won't interfere with any medications you are taking or any health issues you may have.  I feel that the Natural Calm, even in the lower dose I took, dropped my blood pressure along with my medication to the point that I felt these symptoms.  Also, because it does help you sleep, it left me feeling extremely tired in the mornings and took several hours to wear off.  This is the only change I made to my life in the two days I suffered these symptoms and when I didn't take it last night and woke up feeling like myself, I knew immediately that that is what it is.  I am not saying it may not be right for any other individuals, but for me, it was not the right thing to take.  Lesson learned.

I think the biggest lesson I learned today is that there really is no "perfect" first Whole 30.  You can read the labels, buy the compliant foods, eat the meals, but somewhere along the line, you are going to trip up on something.  For me it was lemon juice and skipping a meal yesterday.  Two very small inconsequential things to me, but definitely against the "rules" of the program.  However, it is NOT a deal breaker and I am going to keep going forward.  Lesson learned.

I am learning that I really do enjoy cooking, but not so much all the dishes that go with it.  So in learning the joy of cooking again, I am also learning how to simplify some good Whole 30 meals and learning to use my dishwasher again.

I am going to take each lesson I learn and take it with me into my next Whole 30.  I think I now understand why others do it 3, 4, 5 or more times.  They must keep trying to get it right.  I do not want this to be a "fad" thing for me.  I want it to be my lifestyle.  I am not going to put a percentage on it.  I want to eat like this as much as I possibly can.  However, I know it can not be sustained for a lifetime because I also want to enjoy life and at times, some of mama's wonderful coconut cake.  One thing I learned a long, long time ago is that life is short.  You make the best of it while those you love are living and if that means eating coconut cake with someone you love, then eat the cake (as long as you aren't celiac, gluten intolerant or doing a Whole 30).

So on to Day 14 I go.  I wonder what I'll learn tomorrow?  I hope it's something that I can take with me.  :rolleyes:

Day 14 - Who turned up the heat? My body is leaking!

Here it is, the two week mark.  I am so excited to get to tomorrow and the half way point.  Still going strong.  Looking to buy a new paleo cookbook, Nom Nom Paleo looks pretty amazing.  I've still got so many to try out of Well Fed and Well Fed 2 but my husband isn't too crazy about all the cumin, curry, Moroccan type spices, but he'll pretty much eat anything I put in front of him.  So I thought maybe another cookbook won't be so heavy on those spices.  I went through all of WF1&2 and made a list of all the meals I want to try.  So far, I've eaten a fair good share of them, but my favorites has been the Italian Meat Sauce (even though I didn't cook all the meat it calls for - just the meatballs) and the chocolate chili.  And learning how to make my own mayo and salad dressings has been awesome.  I don't think I'll ever buy store bought again and even pop (my sweet FIL) said my homemade was better than Blue Plate.  Here in the south, that is a HUGE compliment.  Of course, the true test will be when I make my famous potato salad with it, but that won't be until I can add some hot sauce and zesty Italian dressing to it. 

Today has been a pretty awesome day.  I have a load of energy and have been getting some really restful sleep the last few nights.  My skin is looking pretty amazing and my hair is really shiny from all the oil and fat I've been eating.  But y'all, I have been HOT.  I mean so hot that I have sweat rolling down me.  My body is leaking everywhere.  Is this from 1) toxins leaving my body? 2) metabolism increasing? or 3) my hormones adjusting?  It's not hot flashes, I haven't had them since I started a low dose HRT.  But whew - I could sit in an ice bath. 

I forgot to post my food from yesterday dang it!

Saturday:

Meal 1 - Roast pork; coconut thai soup w/broccoli, onions, mushrooms & shrimp; grapes

Meal 2 - Tastiest chicken; spinach salad w/mushrooms and homemade creamy Italian dressing; sugar snap peas; 1/2 avocado with Moroccan dipping sauce; 1/2 apple w/handful raspberries

Meal 3 - Ribeye steak; sweet potato w/ghee; roasted cauliflower

Sunday:

Meal 1 - Ribeye steak; 1/2 butternut squash w/ghee

Meal 2 - Hamburger w/horseradish mayo; 1/2 apple; 1/2 avocado w/Moroccan dipping sauce

Meal 3 - Italian Meat Sauce w/meatballs over Zoodles sautéed in garlic and olive oil; fried cabbage & onions.

Happy and peaceful dreams!

I don't know what all medications you are taking -- so far you have mentioned blood pressure and HRT -- but I want you to know that many people find they can reduce their medications (in some cases, no longer need them at all) after changing to a Whole 30 style of eating.

Your thyroid is like your body's internal thermostat.  It regulates temperature.  This is why people whose thyroid is underactive become so sensitive to cold, feeling cold all the time.  Could it be that your thyroid is revving up, going into overdrive?  Are you taking thyroid medication?

If not, it could be that one of your other medications needs to be adjusted.  If it continues, I would definitely speak with your doctor about this. Especially since you are planning to continue this new way of healthy eating.

Hi Brewer5 - I do have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is part of my autoimmune disorder (IBS, fibro, chronic fatigue, arthritis inflammation), but I am not on any medications for it for which I am thankful.  It may very well being my internal thermostat reprogramming as I feel fine today.  I also have the sensitivity to hot/cold, especially cold, and when I get cold, I know a flare-up is going to hit.  I haven't felt that in the last 15 days.  As for adjusting my meds, I plan on seeing my doctor in  few weeks to see if I can possibly reduce my BP meds and my arthritis meds, although I think I am on the lowest dose of all of them, even my HRT.   It may be that I can take every other day. 

I am so excited to see and feel these changes.  And a little scared about the future.  I don't want to go back to feeling like that again, but not sure I can sustain being this restrictive since I really like the convenience of something quick and easy in the mornings, especially when I am on the run.  But I am going to do some research into healthy alternatives to greek yogurt and maybe figure out a quick and easy smoothie recipe with fruits/veggies and some protein powder.  All to come. 

Have a great and blessed day.

Day 15 - Cravings and Compliments

Halfway.  Woo Hoo.

I am so not a morning person!  This is probably the hardest part of this whole process for me, eating Meal 1 in time so it doesn't coincide with Meal 2.  Pre-Whole 30, I usually just popped a top on yogurt and ate some fruit, maybe some granola or even a Shakeology shake.  But having to make breakfast every morning is at times challenging and today, it was almost impossible. 

I am a volunteer with our juvenile court system where I advocate on behalf of children in foster care (CASA volunteer).  I had a hearing at 10:00 this morning.  I had all intentions of getting up early, but hit the snooze and woke up an hour later.  So I rushed around to get all the fur-kids fed, got myself showered and clothes ironed and I was in full panic mode because I was running out of time to eat.  I really contemplated skipping meal 1 (I know, I know - some freaking habits just die hard), but knew how awful that was for me the other day - so I quick fried an egg, heated up some sweet potato/coconut soup and ate that with a  plum while I was doing my hair and out the door I went.

Sometimes the best laid plans.....my hearing was scheduled for 10:00 but by 11:15, one of the attorney's had not gotten there.  So the judge dismissed us until 1:00.  Oh crap - I was going to have to eat out for the first time on my Whole 30.  Picked a restaurant that I though might have a decent salad/protein/fat source - not many healthy choices in our small-ish suburban town - but I sure did pick wrong.  The restaurant pre-marinates it's meats so I couldn't have a protein.  Ended up getting the biggest salad they could make with as many veggies as they could add and got a bowl of Kalamata olives to go with it.  Olive oil & vinegar dressing and it at least resembled lunch.  And no - no boiled eggs - I just can not tolerate the texture. 

Got back to court and it was another two hours before I got out of there and by that time, with no protein, I had a raging headache.  I knew I had to go back to court on Thursday, so I ran to the Kroger and got some emergency Larabars.  I try to stay away from those because they are too sweet and cookie/cake like for me, but I didn't want to be caught off guard on Thursday.  So my plan is to bring a Larabar, nuts, veggies cut up and maybe an apple.  Just in case. 

Once I got home at 4:00, I had a mini-meal to tide me over until meal 3.

Ah, the Kroger - cravings hit me so bad and I just knew it was because I didn't have enough protein.  The smell of the bakery baking brownies and all that sweet sugary Halloween candy almost did me in.  But then I remembered all the crap the sugar industry does to us to keep us addicted to sugar and I got the heck out of there intact. 

One awesome thing happened today and that was my dear friend asking how I was doing on the Whole 30 and I told her about how wonderful I felt, how I'm learning to like cooking again, etc.  She said to me "Deb, your skin looks really clear and beautiful".  Oh how awesome when someone else notices the results of my hard work.  I have noticed that my skin is less blotchy, the dark circles are going away from under my eyes and no acne.  Do you know how embarrassing it is to have acne at 52? 

So all in all a great day and another lesson learned in how to be prepared for any situation!

Meal 1 - egg fried in coconut butter; sweet potato/coconut milk soup; plum

Meal 2 - tossed salad w/greens, tomatoes, olives, artichoke; olives

Mini Meal 2 - 2 meatballs w/sauce w/onions, mushrooms; handful of macadamia nuts

Meal 3 - Taco salad w/greens, chocolate chili, tomato, onion, 1/2 avocado, creamy Italian dressing; baked peach w/coconut milk and ghee; tossed with pecans

That's it.  Halfway there!!!

Good for you to have a plan !  I worked w/ CASA when I was younger and plan on going back to it when my youngest out of the house.

I think that it is wonderful that at 52 you have such an active lifestyle and you really are taking care of your self so well.

Remember all the little victories - the big ones will come !!   Beautiful skin is something to be proud of !!

Day 17 - Hello Dishwasher

Today has been a really laid back kind of day.  A "me" day.  I have done about absolutely nothing.  I have energy.  I'm bouncing around, but I just didn't want to do my house straightening, yard work or anything useful today.  So I laid back and watched some NYPD Blue on my Kindle; read a little bit; played on FB a little bit and researched some new paleo recipes.  It has been a really nice day.  Sometimes we all just need that. 

I really need to start making a list of all the wonderful benefits I have been getting from following this Whole 30.  I think I'll put that on my list of things to do tomorrow and add to it as the last few weeks wind down. 

One of the negative things the Whole 30 has done to my body is create dishpan hands LOL.  I have washed a LOT of dishes in the last 16 days.  A LOT of dishes.  So tonight, as I washed my second batch of dishes, I dropped some water on the floor and as I was wiping it up, I came eye to eye with my dishwasher.  HELLOOOOOOO.  Why the heck haven't I been using that thing?  I am so used to just having a few little dishes during the week since my husband works out of town, that I never could fill it up, so it was just easier to hand wash the dishes.  But now?  I could probably fill that sucker up twice a day LOL.  So starting tomorrow, me and dishwasher are going to get reacquainted and I can give my poor hands a rest. 

I made some amazing salmon patties tonight from Well Fed 2 cookbook.  I am really not a salmon patty type of person, but I can't find a compliant tuna for anything in my area, so I bought the salmon.  Oh my goodness, they were absolutely amazing.  I wasn't going to add the sweet potato into them but am so glad I did.  I only regret that I halved the recipe because I could have ate all six that I made.  But I ate 3 and will eat the other 3 for meal 1 in the morning.  The Well Fed cookbooks are probably some of the best cookbooks I have ever had.  Well written, well designed and I love that with each recipe they tell you what would go good with it, helping you to put together a real meal. 

Today's meals:

Meal 1 - Chicken sausage, spinach/mushroom salad w/creamy Italian dressing, fried egg; sweet potato (1/2) with coconut milk & ghee sprinkled w/pecans

Meal 2 - Taco salad w/tomatoes, onions, avocado; 1/2 avocado w/Moroccan dipping sauce; small apple

Meal 3 - Salmon patties w/awesome sauce; butternut/sweet potato soufflé; 1 slice watermelon

Day 16 is done!

Day 17 - Buzzing on Black Coffee

I never in my life thought I'd give up sugar and creamer in my coffee.  I am the type of person who likes a little coffee with her cream and sugar.  4 tsps. sugar and as much creamer as I can put in to get my coffee white!  I didn't want to give up my coffee altogether as I usually only have one cup in the morning as I'm feeding the critters, but I like it and I didn't want to give it up.  So for the first two weeks, I put as much coconut milk as I could to get my coffee palatable and as white as it could make it.  Needless to say, I was getting a LOT of added fat in my diet which is probably why my hair is so shiny and my skin isn't so dry.  The other day as I got stuck at the courthouse waiting on my CASA case to be heard, I mixed a cup of coffee and drank it black.  Holy crap - I was buzzing by the time I finished that coffee.  I haven't felt the effects of caffeine in a long, long time.  I used to have to drink an energy drink just to feel alert.  Black coffee, who knew?  Of course, it could be all the other junk is out of my system, so the caffeine actually is giving me a jolt.  Anyway, I got up Tuesday morning and fixed my coffee and just went on and drank it black.  Same with today.  I am of the belief that I am never going to go back to sweet, sugary, creamy coffee.  Doing that I was just getting a sugar rush and crash, here, I'm actually feeling a little jolt and even more energized. 

One thing I learned today is that I may have to start my next Whole 30 and do the Fodmap version of it.  I made a butternut squash casserole last night and it had a lot of spices in it.  I also ate it for breakfast today and had massive reflux after I ate it.  So much so that I had to take another Zantac (I take one in the morning as preventative medicine).  So in looking through what I ate, I asked my FB support group who are doing the Fodmap and they said it could be the cumin.  So I am going to leave that spice out of my rotation and see if that helps.  This is one reason I am so glad I am keeping this food log.  However, I have used cumin in other dishes and it not bother me, so that is very strange indeed.

Today's Meals:

Meal 1 - Salmon patties w/awesome sauce; 1/2 sweet potato w/ghee; spinach and pear salad w/vinaigrette; jicama spears

Meal 2 - Well Fed Best Chicken Ever thigh; squash casserole; 1/2 avocado w/Moroccan dipping sauce; grapes

Meal 3 - Stir fry w/filet mignon, mushrooms, onions w/coconut aminos; cucumber spears; fried plantain (fried in coconut oil); mushroom/spinach salad w/creamh Italian dressing.

Yep, Day 17 is done and I'm feeling fine!!!!

Day 18 - No matter how prepared you think you are, life does happen, but it doesn't have to end in disaster

I was bound and determined not to be caught off guard if my hearing ran late today and I didn't get to each lunch, so I prepared an "emergency" kit last night.  I had a Larabar, some macadamia nuts, apple slices and cucumbers.  No protein, because I didn't get a chance to make jerky and just figured I'd double up on my meat at meal 1 and meal 3.  Not sound thinking, but it is what it is.  I can't do boiled eggs, just can't.  But as prepared as I was this would only work if I actually had my lunch bag with me, which, of course, I didn't, because I left it sitting on the kitchen counter along with my water.  And, of course, as the day wore on, my hunger and thirst increased.  There is a vending machine in the court house and our Judge always has snacks available in the back.  Unfortunately, there was NOTHING compliant in the vending machine and even though the Judge had some "healthier" options (peanut butter Larabars, Granola bars, trail mix, etc.) there was NOTHING that was compliant there either.  So I either skipped my meal or I ate non-compliant food.  That was the only two options.  I AM NOT GOING TO EAT NON-COMPLIANT FOOD.  I didn't do this to give up this close to the goal.  So I sucked it up (and no, not food).  I sucked up my hunger and sucked up my willpower and knew there was nothing in that vending machine that was as good as the way I feel right now.

My hearing finally got over at 4:30 and I got home at 5:00.  Instead of sucking down the Larabar and fruit, I ate a handful of nuts while I prepared chicken sausage and eggs.  So I was eating meal 2 at 5:00.  I didn't want to eat again, but at 8:00 I made myself eat meal 3.  Next time, I'll be even better prepared and stick a note on my door to NOT forget my lunch bag.

As I said yesterday, I have been having some issues with reflux for the last few days.  I had it again after I ate meal 1 this morning.  I'm thinking what the heck, nothing has cumin in it.  So as I was going through what had been on my plate, I realized it had to be in the sauce that I used on my meat (Well Fed's Awesome Sauce) which, of course, has cumin in it.   It is so nice to be able to actually figure out what might be triggering my gut irritation because my food is so whole.  I've never been able to do that before.  And I'm sure there are others so I'll start really paying attention to anything that may also bother me.  So far it's cumin, pork and peppers.  I think as my body gets cleaner, I'll be able to pick up other sensitivities.  I do believe my next Whole 30 may be the fodmap version, but I have to do some reading on that.  So live and learn some more.

Today's meals:

Meal 1 - Steak/mushrooms/onions stir fry w/awesome sauce; spinach salad w/mushrooms/creamy Italian dressing; orange

Meal 2 - Chicken sausage; egg; watermelon; handful macadamia nuts

Meal 3 - Taco salad w/chocolate chili, avocado, onion, tomato, ciliantro & creamy Italian dressing on a bed of romaine.

Peace!

sassy (love it )...  I am also having some issues with acid reflux !  I have been looking over posts to see if anyone else is having issues. Today is day 15 for me and it started on Mon and then Tues night the bloating, crampy feeling started.  I thought maybe the coconut milk - or spices.  But like you - I put cumin in a lot of things and have not had any issues till this week.  I then read on the time line in ISWF, that this week can be rough, intestines healing.   I'm so glad (ok not glad for you) that someone else is having some issues. 

I hope it resolves soon for you -  and for me !

T

Tina Marie - sorry that you are feeling like this too.  I am very realistic in my goal.  I know I am not going to heal 37+ years of damage to my gut in 30 days.  But it's a start in the right direction.  For all those years I ate a very highly processed, highly sugared, high junk food/fast food diet.  It's only been in the last 2 years that I've started dabbling in paleo, but usually falling back into old habits.  I like the restrictive confines of this Whole 30 even when I hate it. I am hoping that my second round I'll be just as motivated and determined. 

:wub:

Day 19 - Crazy cravings in the checkout line

So glad I made it through this day intact.  I really had a moment in the checkout line at Wal-Mart where I was stocking up on a few items I ran out of.  There in front of my face, of all things, were grape Tic-Tacs.  Yep - that's what gave me my moment of crazy cravings and the stinkin' thinkin'.  Went something like this "well, I've made it 19 days, a few little Tic-Tacs aren't going to hurt; they don't even have calories; who's going to know; I love grape anything, maybe I can buy them and hide them in my drawer until after my Whole 30.....".  Now that was what was in the forefront of my brain - but underneath it all I could hear this "you have 11 more days to go; a few little Tic-Tics are going to lead to a lot more of something; they may not have calories but they have fake sugar; I'M GOING TO KNOW; have some grapes then; no you can't buy them, they will call your name until you eat them; and finally, well they'll still be here after my Whole 30 is over".  With that, I was able to stop the cravings, the crazies and get out of the checkout line intact.  It was pretty freaking intense. 

So that really got me thinking of how I want to do my Post Whole 30.  I'm getting a little worried because I don't know what to do!  I know eventually I'm going to have to go back to some "real world eating" but I am just not ready to do that yet.  I am hoping I can do another round of Whole 30 in October and then go paleo after that.  There are some amazing paleo snacks and treats so I wouldn't feel deprived.  But first, I have to see if I can add back in some dairy (in the form of my greek yogurt).  That is about all I care about.  I don't care for grains, beans or any other dairy, but I do want some yogurt and kefir.  So, I do have some figuring to do, but for right now, I think I am going to just roll with the Whole 30 for another month and see what happens.  I don't think I've been as fortunate about having lost weight, but I feel healthy and I do believe my legs look slimmer, but my belly is still a little bloated and the layers of fat are still there.  I think in my next round I am going to start cutting back on portions and fat.  Not to the point where I'm "dieting" but just to the point where I am full and I can stop eating instead of thinking "I have to eat all this because I won't get to eat again for 5 hours".  Just food for thought.

Meals Today:

Meal 1 - Chicken sausage, fried egg, sweet potato (was getting leg cramps again last night and realized I had not eaten my sweet potato)

Meal 2 - Meatballs, olives, pickled cauliflower and carrots; watermelon

Meal 3 - Ribeye steak; sweet potato; creamy cucumber salad; roasted cauliflower

Peace!

Your grape tic-tac incident reminds me of what you said in your very first post -- how you went crazy with fast food, etc. and ate things you don't even normally eat.  It's good that you are thinking about this now, that you are working on that inner dialogue...  So hopefully you will be able to talk yourself down post-Whole 30, like you just did today.  I have been there, done that, (finishing a W30), and I will say it was a bit too easy for me to just dive right back into eating some junk.  And yes, I started eating some things I didn't even normally eat.  Even though I didn't *think* I was feeling deprived, (as I am not feeling deprived right now, in the middle of my 2nd)... apparently, based on my actions, I can deduce that when the rules were gone, I did have a bit of a "rebellious" time -- which did me no good.

I think it is important to remember that I am following rules that I, myself, have made.  I decided to do a Whole 30.  No one is forcing me to stay compliant each day.  So, when it is done, I would like to be able to remember that I am still making the rules.  I would like to be able to be reasonable with myself, instead of irrational and emotional this time.  ("Going for ice cream sounds like fun!  Let's do it!"  ...  "Consequences be damned!")  I have thought about writing myself some notes, like I did when I wanted to quit smoking.  That helped!  Whenever I wanted to smoke, I made myself go back and read that list again.  It brought all those feelings back and was a great reminder of why I quit in the first place.  Maybe that would work for you, too. I know you have already talked here about starting a list of some kind.  Good idea, for sure.  ;)

Brewer5 - I wish I knew how to do the quote thing but I can't tell you how much your last paragraph resonated with me.  It reminded me that I am the one who chose to do this.  In the end, I am really accountable only to myself.. It has really helped coming here and reading others struggles and successes and I have a great Facebook support page, but ultimately, I am the one who chooses what goes in my mouth and why.  And I can't always do it under the confines of a diet, program or whatever.  The rebellious period is what I fear.  I really need to get started on the list of all the good that eating this way has done and how bad I really felt prior to starting it.  And I don't think I ever answered your question about smoking - October 6th will be 8 years quit for me. 

Thank you again for your help! 

Day 20 - Good times with family without food

Day 21 - Pondering, pondering, slaying the sugar dragon and really, do you have anything healthy in that cart

Day 20 - so I didn't get a chance to post my Day 20 because we got home so late, I figured I better get it down while I still remember what I ate.  Had a great time with my special needs step-son, husband, and my sweet mother and father -in law at the rodeo last night.  I live in a small town and this was a real small town rodeo. First one I've ever been to.  It was so nice to see neighbors and people that live in your community and know you by name.  When I start lamenting that I don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, I remember this small town love and relish it.   We had all planned on eating supper prior to us getting there, but we ate a late lunch at 2:00 and no one was even remotely hungry at 6:00, so I threw together a Larabar, apple, carrots, macadamia nuts into a bag along with some water because I knew there was no way I was going to eat "fair" food.  So as my family sat down to pizza, I pulled out my little goody bag.  I was only able to eat 1/2 of the Larabar because it was just too sweet, so I enjoyed my apple, nuts and carrots instead.  I didn't feel deprived because I really remembered how pizza used to make me feel afterwards - belly bloated to the look of 9 months pregnant and reflux all night long.  This way, I felt satisfied and was able to go to sleep with no reflux.  I know I didn't have protein for meal 3, but knowing that we were probably going to eat at the rodeo, I intentionally upped my protein at meal 1 and meal 2 and ate extra this morning too.

Saturday's Meals:

Meal 1 - chicken sausage; fried egg in ghee, 1/2 apple

Meal 2 - Chili taco salad w/avocado, tomato, onions over a bed of lettuce

Meal 3 - 1/2 larabar; apple, macadamia nuts

Today has been a very interesting day.  I woke up with my sugar dragon ROARING.  WTH?????  I knew I had to get some protein into me and quick.  So I ate double protein at meal 1 this morning and it tamed it down a little bit, until I got to the grocery.  And then again, all that stupid Halloween candy and my mind just wants to keep going on with the same stupid reel it always plays.  And I just keep quashing it with all the good things I feel.  I won this round again, but it is really hard and that stupid dragon wants feeding.  I am not going to let that stupid thing derail me.  One thing that helped a little was standing in line I was looking into the carts of the other shoppers around me.  Here I am with my pineapple, olive oil, strawberries, tomatoes, and grapes - nothing in a box, nothing in a bag, or even a can.  No sweets, no chips, no sodas.  But all around me are shoppers whose carts are full of this plus convenience foods, snacks, sugary drinks, juices.  Out of three women - one in front, one to each side, not one had a piece of fruit or vegetable in her cart.  I remember being one of those people.  It wasn't that long ago.  For the most part, I thought I ate healthy, but once or twice a month, I'd go on a sugary, salty junk binge and my cart would look like that.  For this reason, I am very proud of myself that my carts of late have been nothing but whole and the only things canned have been some tomatoes, coconut milk and salmon. 

As for my pondering - I am really struggling with wanting to do another round of Whole 30.  I am no where near where I want to be sugar wise if today was any indication in how powerful my cravings still are, but really am not sure if I have the motivation to go another round of 30 days.  I don't think I ever want to go back to the way I used to eat, and I can definitely see myself eating paleo (and no I'm not assigning any number or percentage to it).  But I do miss certain things that I have given up, two being gum and yogurt.  And yes, I miss something sweet after supper.  I just do.  And the fact that I do is what is swaying me that I really need to do another round to get some better control of that dragon.  I still have 8 days to decide.  I want to know if I do it, I am doing it for the right reasons - for myself - and if I decide to not do it - I'm doing it for the right reason and not to just eat sweet stuff again.  8 days......

Today's Meals:

Meal 1 - 2 eggs fried in ghee, small sweet potato w/ghee; 1/2 peach

Meal 2 - Chicken salad made w/mayo, celery, onions, grapes & pecans; 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - Chicken salad; sliced tomatoes, carrot/raisin salad w/mayo; 1/2 potato fried in coconut oil w/onions

The day is done!!!

I woke up with my sugar dragon ROARING.  WTH?????

I won't type an entire paragraph with details, because I'm sure you already know.  But just in case you have not made the connection -- this happened because of your "Meal" 3 the night before.  Lots of sugar & no protein.  Larabars are like candy... that's why it tastes so sweet to you -- because, it is.  They are to be used only in an emergency, as any of the moderators here will tell you.  Many, many folks here (including me) can't even keep them in their possession because they are food without brakes.  Sorry.  

Brewer5 - of course I made the connection, but sometimes, it's just life.  I had a choice - I chose not to eat the pizza or a filler - filled hamburger with no bun. I probably should have planned better, but my intention really was to make meal 3 at home, but since no one was hungry, I just made do with the healthiest options I could throw together. So to me that did constitute an emergency.  For me Larabar's aren't a problem because I couldn't even eat but half of it, and at that, I had to force it the other bite I took.  I don't care for the taste or the consistency.  I would have rather had a handful of dates and a hunk of coconut.  I have had five in my pantry for over a week and they have not tempted me. I just want to say I am doing this Whole 30 the best I can.  It's a learning curve.  It's not perfect, but it's mine.  We are all different and we all have our own food dragons.  Maybe the next go around I'll do it even better because of all that I am going through and what I am learning now. 

I understand completely, and trust me -- I am not here to judge.  I have been through battles of my own, and it has taken me quite awhile sometimes to figure out some things that would have been obvious to others.  I only comment because I want to help.  I thought maybe you really hadn't made the connection... but then I kinda figured you had... but then you said "WTH?" and I thought, well, maybe you hadn't!   :D   And yes, it is definitely a process and everyone's is different.  Sorry if I have offended you at all with my comments.  I love reading about your journey and I think you are doing great!  So many victories.  Don't read my tone wrong -- you know how many people would have given in to rodeo food?!  I mean, come on.  Congratulations.  ;)

Brewer5 - LOL - THANK YOU for putting my mind at ease and please know how much I appreciate your help.  I came on here to apologize to YOU because my comment sounded really snarky and that is not me (that's that stupid dragon talking).  I also sometimes just blurt out my thoughts without really taking into account that others will read them and misinterpret, thus the "WTH" because I kind of knew my body needed that protein.  I do feel better this morning and I really did figure out that it came to life because I hadn't eaten properly the night before, but also, in  reading my Day 21 Whole 30 Daily this morning (forgot to read it yesterday) it states that the awakening of the sugar dragon at this point is kind of normal because it's or brains last ditch effort to try to get me back to my sugar habit.  I am not going to be caught without prepared protein again (because this is the second or third time) so I've pulled out a venison roast that I am going to jerky this afternoon.  At least that will be real protein in a pinch. 

Oh my goodness, only 8 days to go :D.  How exciting is this week going to be ????

Day 22 - Too tired to post, but that's a good thing

Day 23 - One week to go, but that's a bad thing

Day 22 - I woke up way before I normally do with good energy and a desire to do something.  So I got to cleaning house (Monday is always my cleaning day).  After getting the house cleaned and laundry done, I still had energy to spare so I started doing a cookup for this coming week.  Made my Italian Meatballs and popped them in the over while I ate meal 3.  By the time they were done and clean up was done and I posted for accountability in my Facebook page (gosh I love those people), I was too tired to post here.  My brain just wanted to shut down.  That is an awesome feeling to feel really tired naturally.  And at 10:30 p.m.  I am usually one of those people who don't go to bed until 12:00 and then just roll around for an hour while sleep evades me.  But my sleep has been really good lately and I am going to be a lot earlier.  Plus I'm getting solid sleep when I do sleep so that is a vast improvement over before where I'd fall asleep easy, but wake up several times in the middle of the night and just toss and turn waiting for sleep to come back.  So I never felt rested because my sleep was so broken.  Now I don't wake up till my old dog comes wakes me up to go out (usually between 4-6 a.m.) and then I go right back to sleep for another hour or few.  So I feel much more rested in the morning and much more energetic during the day. 

Monday's Meals:

Meal 1 - Fried egg, sugar snap peas, 1/2 sweet potato w/ghee

Meal 2 - Chicken salad, carrot salad, 1/2 avocado, small apple

Meal 3 - Hamburger w/onions & mushrooms; carrot salad; grapes

Day 23 - I can not believe that I only have a week left.  I am so grateful for all I have learned and all I have yet to learn.  I have decided to do a Whole 60, but am going to just finish this one and launch into Round 2 the next day.  I just can't do a "free for all" day on the 1st because I won't come back from it.  I don't even want to do a "taste anything" day for the same reason.  The sugar dragon reared it's ugly head over the weekend and it was pretty hard to tame it back.  I know my brain was just trying to seduce me into eating sugar, but it was pretty dang close.  I am not ready to eat without brakes yet, even paleo non-compliant foods or treats.  I love the confines of this program (most of the times) so I'll just launch into W30 P2 D1 (Whole 30, Part 2, Day 1) on October 1st.  Plus, I am seeing a lot of improvements in fat burning and loss of fat in crucial places (hello abs, hello calf muscles and thinner thighs).  For the first time ever, I am rocking skinny jeans.  I've never been able to wear them, but I can now, and they look pretty dang good.  Still got a good bit of muffin top going, but I know that is going to take longer than 30 days to get rid of.  But I got nothing but time to invest in me. 

Meals today:

Meal 1 - chicken salad; 1/2 avocado

Meal 2 - meatballs (no sauce); sugar snap peas; grapes; handful of mac nuts

Meal 3- Italian sauce w/meatballs over zoodles; strawberries

That's it.  I'm out.  Time to do a little pinteresting and add some more food to my Whole 30 board and then off to bed. 

Archived