Having a hard time finding Bacon without sugar

Ripcord_Jennie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha! Who needs johnny the moderator when I have the internet? Should anyone else come looking for sugar free bacon in San Francisco, you can get bacon from Prather Ranch Meat Co, at the Ferry Building and also at farmers' markets around the area. The blurb on their bacon goes like this : "The famous ahhhh!-inducing PRMC bacon is made from our heritage pork bellies, cured in either a maple or sugar-free brine and applewood smoked. Known for its addictive qualities, our bacon contains no nitrates!"

I guess I'm going to have to check it out....

It really isn't that hard to make your own, just requires a little prep and patience. Mine finished curing yesterday, I roasted it, let it sit over night and enjoyed it this morning (as did the 2 and 3 year old!). I totally appreciate bacon more after making it myself. Now I just need to make friends with someone who has a smoker :)

Sorry I missed all these posts. I don't have a good system for following posts and checking questions :-/ But yes i'm glad you found what you were looking for. My san francisco recommendation is absolutely the bacon at prather ranch in the ferry building! It's not cheap but you get a little discount if you buy multiple packs.

• 1 month later...

Question about bacon: according to my husband who is a chef and worked at a local butchery for awhile, sugar is used during the curing process for most cured meats (with th exception of things like prosciutto which cure for years). Unless sugar is added back into the meat (like brown sugar bacon or sometimes sausage), there should be virtually NO remaining sugar in the product. I don't know if this is case for some conventional bacon products but what about bacon that has 0g sugar?

Now I just need to make friends with someone who has a smoker :)

We used these in culinary school: http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Stainless-Stovetop-Smoker/dp/B00004SZ9D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357537637&sr=8-1&keywords=stovetop+smoker

they work great. You heat it on your stove and then pop into the oven to smoke. They seal very tight and I've never had trouble with smoke escaping to fill the house.

Question about bacon: according to my husband who is a chef and worked at a local butchery for awhile, sugar is used during the curing process for most cured meats (with th exception of things like prosciutto which cure for years). Unless sugar is added back into the meat (like brown sugar bacon or sometimes sausage), there should be virtually NO remaining sugar in the product. I don't know if this is case for some conventional bacon products but what about bacon that has 0g sugar?

sugar isn't required for the cure, but since we all love the taste of sweet, or used to. The only things required to cure bacon are pork belly, salt and a form of nitrate (either in celery salt or sodium nitrate).

• 1 year later...

I could not find nitrate/chemical free Sugar free bacon anywhere around me, so I decided to try and make my own. Followed this recipe:

http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-bacon.html

Whoa, turned out truly fantastic! Not sure I will ever buy bacon again. It's a bit of work but figured some of the more adventurous out there might tackle it too!

I also made my own

http://paleoperiodical.com/2012/04/24/makin-bacon-part-1/

And have already ordered another pork belly. Fantastic!

where did you buy the pork belly?

My sister works at a butcher shop, and she said to ask for sliced "FRESH SIDE PORK".  I bought some at her place - $5.99 a pound - no seasoning.  Because it is not cured, it cooks up a little differently (and takes longer) than bacon.  However, with salt added, I really liked it.  

I found a brand called Carolina Pride at a local store.

Ingredients listed are:

Cured With: Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite

I suspect it is factory-farmed and thus not ideal, but it seemed like the ingredients were compliant.

My sister works at a butcher shop, and she said to ask for sliced "FRESH SIDE PORK".  I bought some at her place - $5.99 a pound - no seasoning.  Because it is not cured, it cooks up a little differently (and takes longer) than bacon.  However, with salt added, I really liked it.  

I use smoked salt on mine, but now I see the awesome smoker above.  For what I already have in my freezer, the salt and some extra pepper have been fun.

We used these in culinary school: http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Stainless-Stovetop-Smoker/dp/B00004SZ9D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357537637&sr=8-1&keywords=stovetop+smoker

they work great. You heat it on your stove and then pop into the oven to smoke. They seal very tight and I've never had trouble with smoke escaping to fill the house.

This comes to me on the day I am getting half of a pastured pig!  Thanks for sharing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

why is the pork sugar free bacon the only one one "us wellness meats" website that says whole30 approved.......is the beef sugar free bacon not, or is it sold out because of the fact people like pork bacon more?! I want to order the beef and I dont see why it would not be approved but the site does not say it is under it like the pork does thanks!

So, there is a difference between things that are allowed on a Whole30 and things that are uniquely approved by Whole9 for Whole30s.  It looks as though the beef is fine to eat on a Whole30, it just didn't get vetted as "Whole30 approved."

You can read more about Whole30 approval here:  http://whole30.com/whole30-approved/

FYI: I have had their bacon tips and they are a steal.  They are perfect for a Whole30 because they make a great garnish.

I have been having the same problem. I asked the guy at the deli counter at Whole Foods, and he said they do make a sugar-free bacon but they were out at the time, and it takes 2-3 weeks to cure. So maybe call around and see if any Whole Foods in your area have some?

• 1 year later...

Tom - I see you are also from the Atlanta area. It's a stretch for you, but the Dekalb Farmer's Market in Decatur has sugar-free/nitrate free bacon.

Hi Delaine!

I live in Decatur and do most of my shopping at the farmers market! Is the sugar free nitrate free bacon behind the counter or in the packaged area? Thanks for your help! :)

• 1 year later...

I found a no sugar bacon at my local wegman's. It's pederson natural farms and even has a "whole 30" sticker on its label. I was wondering the same about the low sodium kirkland bacon since it's cheaper but the ingredient list has a lot of preservatives like another poster said. 

I checked my local trader joes and none of their breakfast meats were compliant, at least at my local  store. 

20 hours ago, MegAMuseMe said:

I found a no sugar bacon at my local wegman's. It's pederson natural farms and even has a "whole 30" sticker on its label. I was wondering the same about the low sodium kirkland bacon since it's cheaper but the ingredient list has a lot of preservatives like another poster said. 

I checked my local trader joes and none of their breakfast meats were compliant, at least at my local  store. 

I got excited for a second then remembered I don't live near a Wegman's anymore. Then I remembered that I hate bacon.

Archived