Nervous to cut the Whole30 cord

dianka25

I am on Day 31 and nervous about reintroduction!  I lost 1.5 inches from my waist, 2 from hips, and 14 pounds (almost 10% of my weight!).  I am worried that the weight will pile back in once I start reintro.  I also don't completely trust that I will make the right choices once I give myself more freedom.  Today I was too scared to reintroduce anything, but I did go out to eat for the first time in 30 days I did pretty well.  I avoided alcohol and chose Grilled Swordish with crab, mushrooms and spinach.  I do feel bloated for the first time since Whole30.  I plan to revert back to Whole30 for the next day or two and see how things go.  I can't believe I'm feeling this way- I figured I would be jumping at the chance to eat some forbidden food!  I still have weight to lose so I am taking it slow.  We will see how it goes!

D

If you reread your reintroduction chaper, you won't be nervous.   It gives you a sample schedule and there are many posted here, too.   Best wishes.  Just click on Whole 30 Reintroduction on your toolbar. It's located under the word Chat up above.  :) 

I am on Day 31 and nervous about reintroduction!  I lost 1.5 inches from my waist, 2 from hips, and 14 pounds (almost 10% of my weight!).  I am worried that the weight will pile back in once I start reintro.  I also don't completely trust that I will make the right choices once I give myself more freedom.  Today I was too scared to reintroduce anything, but I did go out to eat for the first time in 30 days I did pretty well.  I avoided alcohol and chose Grilled Swordish with crab, mushrooms and spinach.  I do feel bloated for the first time since Whole30.  I plan to revert back to Whole30 for the next day or two and see how things go.  I can't believe I'm feeling this way- I figured I would be jumping at the chance to eat some forbidden food!  I still have weight to lose so I am taking it slow.  We will see how it goes!

D

I think you should proceed with the reintro - not only will this give you another few weeks "on plan", it will also help you create a new set of rules that are all your own - you might discover that dairy is terrible for you, so that's off the table permanently; that bread is ok once a week, but more than that and it makes you feel bad; that chickpeas make you feel like a million bucks so you can add them back in.

And just because you've finished the restrictive stage, doesn't mean you have to fling the template out the window too :)

Don't be scared! If something bites back you already know what to do to get back to feeling good. I JUST did it myself (5 day binge on crap food after a pasta dinner to see how gluten might be affecting me) and I'm now 2 days back on the straight and narrow. I feel much better, and I've learned that if I'm going to stay on track post Whole30, I need to maintain my prep habits and always have easy-to-fix meals on hand so I won't be tempted to just give in and eat things that are easily accessible but don't help me. I'm going to give it a week to clear my system and then try dairy. Hopefully, with this knowledge, I'll be able to enjoy a treat down the road without falling facefirst into a box of cereal I don't even like just because it's there.

In the book, it seems like they suggest having a reintro food with each meal- for example, yogurt with breakfast, cheese with lunch, and ice cream with dinner for dairy.  As I plan my meals for next week, I am struggling with this.  The dairy example would not be too hard, but for the non-gluten grain day I was just planning on white rice for dinner.  I don't really want to stuff myself for each meal as this isn't how I would normally eat.  Is this ok for reintro?  I feel like if I force myself to include grain with each meal I will probably feel bloaty and ill regardless of whether I "reacted" to the food or not!  I also understand that if I have a small amount of the food it may not necessarily be enough to cause a reaction even if my body doesn't tolerate it very well.  Any thoughts?

D

In the book, it seems like they suggest having a reintro food with each meal- for example, yogurt with breakfast, cheese with lunch, and ice cream with dinner for dairy.  As I plan my meals for next week, I am struggling with this.  The dairy example would not be too hard, but for the non-gluten grain day I was just planning on white rice for dinner.  I don't really want to stuff myself for each meal as this isn't how I would normally eat.  Is this ok for reintro?  I feel like if I force myself to include grain with each meal I will probably feel bloaty and ill regardless of whether I "reacted" to the food or not!  I also understand that if I have a small amount of the food it may not necessarily be enough to cause a reaction even if my body doesn't tolerate it very well.  Any thoughts?

D

If all you're planning on doing post-Whole30 is eating a little bit here and there, I'd just do that instead of gagging something down on principle. I skipped legume reintro altogether because the only legumes I miss eating are the lentils in my lentil soup, and I already know that I can eat one big bowl of it and that's it. If I eat another bowl the next day, I get nine-months-pregnant bloated and life sucks. If I eat bread with it, it sucks even more. If you're never going to eat more than a serving of while rice or a bowl of popcorn at a time, why bother? And if you have a day when you DO eat non-gluten grains at every meal, well, you'll learn all about it then.

Day 38

So far I have reintroduced legumes and grains.  For legume day I just had some peanut butter on celery for breakfast.  For my grain day I had some white rice with dinner.  I did not feel any issues with the peanut butter.  Yesterday I felt fine after the white rice.  Today I have some crampy type abdominal pain and mild bloating.  Will wait to see what happens tomorrow- not sure if this is stomach crampy or other kind of crampy... 

Are next day symptoms too late to be called reactions or sensitivities.  I believe that true sensitives would declare themselves earlier, maybe almost immediately, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Otherwise my diet has been a-ok.  I have been eating more starchy foods- my go-to breakfast which includes sweetpotatoes and some leftover roasted fingerling potatoes and carrots a few times with dinner.  Other than that I have not had a problem staying Whole30 compliant.  I am eager to welcome creamer/ half n half back into my breakfast coffee, but I am patiently waiting until my dairy reintro day.  Definitely have noticed more energy and more regular bathroom habits in the last week- part of this may be a psychology component but either way all good things. 

D

Day 41

Dairy introduction yesterday

Dairy items added: Yogurt for breakfast  Shredded cheddar cheese/sour cream for dinner.

I definitely felt the negative affects of dairy almost instantly.  Stomach pain, some bloating within 30 minutes of each meal.  And cravings!  Unfortunately this was not a good day for me- I also caved and had a margarita and also beans with the chicken taco soup and popcorn (homemade with coconut oil).  I thought I would feel like crap today but surprisingly I feel ok.  I do feel more bloated though.  We will see how my gluten reintro goes, but so far dairy has been the main food group with negative affects for me.  I am not too surprised because I have avoided milk for a while now.  I used to eat a lot of yogurt, ice cream, and cheese though.  I am planning my gluten reintro early next week and then I plan to regroup.

D

Archived