September 4/ Day 3 Could use a buddy

widget

Good morning Whole30,

After wining and dining my way through summer vacation in Australia for the month of August, it's time to reclaim my mind, body and spirit. Whole30 is one of the paths towards that end. I'm a middle-aged woman in Calgary and would love to have someone in this forum to walk that path with me. Any takers?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on Day 4 technically, but plan on tacking on a few days at the end to make up for my "mistakes" (accidentally eating black beans in chili, a sausage that had a minute amount of sugar).  You sound like you've led an interesting summer - I would love to join you!  I'm in y 30s with a toddler, so not jet setting quite yet!

Hey Jillibean,

Thanks for joining the ride. How did today go? It felt kind of funny but quite yummy having mashed sweet potato, scrambled eggs and six olives for breakfast. 

Hah to jetsetting. My babies were born in Sydney and Hong Kong. They had crossed the Pacific several times before they turned 8,10 and 13...and they haven't stopped. Kind of gets in your blood. Now the youngest, 18 turning 19, just moved out of the house. 

So this Whole30 is to one way to help me set an intentional, healthy pathway into being an empty-nester.

What was one your menu today? I had chicken broth w/ fresh kale (from the garden) and 6 ounces of chicken breast. For dinner: grilled blackened red snapper, salad and an apple. I also glug a tbs of fish oil a day. It's not too bad, once you get used to it. 

Any side affects? I'm really tired now. 

Goodnight,

widge

Good morning ladies! I am starting day 3, but just signed up on the forum which is calling today day 1. So, ok.

I am 62, just retired and am back from a great vacation....and have to get my body under control. My 36 year old son, a type 1 diabetic has had success with getting his blood sugar stable while following Whole30 guidelines. I read "It Starts With Food" and decided to join him in his adventure.

Having 4 grandchildren (6, 4, and 6 month old twins), I regularly visit and participate in the craziness of young families.....and then I go home.

I would love to join you in this journey. I have made 3 trips to 2 groceries in the past two days and think I am ready. Last night I prepared the tuna steaks from the Nom Nom cookbook and my husband was very happy!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Mary

Yesterday I had:  B:  sweet potato, sausage, eggs;  L:  veggie heavy salad with roasted turkey breast, a whole avocado, avocado oil/balsamic vinegar, some blueberries;  D:  sauteed ground beef/carrots/mushrooms with spices over mashed cauliflower, mixed berries

Working on cutting fruit for today - I think I am using it as my sugar-crutch!  

My brothers and parents are all very into travel - and we are looking into finding jobs abroad so our son can experience a different culture, even if only for a few years!  I would love to live somewhere completely different from my tiny "Mayberry" town :)

Heading over to the local co-op this weekend to snag up some local "good" sausage and bacon so we can change it up a bit for our breakfasts...going to scour the internet today as well for some recipe ideas.  Both of your meals sound amazing!

Good morning Mary and Jillibean,

Mary, welcome to the ride. Happy to have you along.

That's great about your son, 36, managing his blood sugar levels while following the guidelines.

Tuna steaks sound wonderful.

Last night, I was exhausted by 8. I did manage to get some gorgeous short ribs prepped and into the slow cooker. That's dinner tonight.

I woke this morning slightly congested and draining. I'm hoping that it's just all part of the process.

How are you are you all feeling today?

widget

Good morning! I'd like to buddy up with all of you as well :) I am on Day 4 (start date = 9/2). I’m feeling good so far. I fully expected to have way more carb-flu hangover on Days 2 and 3.

I had leftover pad thai with almond and coconut flakes this morning for breakfast (recipe here: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/) and I’ll have spaghetti squash and sardines and an avocado for lunch…or maybe I’ll go grab something from Whole Foods across the street. They have some Whole30-compliant meals on their hot bar. We are having Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage and a slaw of some kind for dinner tonight.

Areas where I’m struggling: eating breakfast within an hour of waking up, slowing down to eat (I work full time and have a 3 and 4 year old), walking more, and getting enough sleep.

Happy Friday to all of you!

Good evening everyone,

Welcome Beara32. I think you and Jillibean are amazing. I couldn't think about doing stuff like this if I had toddlers and was working full time as well. Brava to you both! 

I'm going to try the spaghetti squash pad thai recipe. 

About fruit...I think you're right about cutting back on it. Yesterday I had a watermelon slice, apple and a pear. It felt like all too much. Today I didn't have any fruit except I picked four ripe gooseberries in my backyard, on the way to the car before heading to work. 

I will admit that I slow cooked the short ribs in red wine. I don't make this dish very often and it seemed criminal to not use the wine. I do understand that I made a choice to cheat. I will get back to the plan tomorrow. 

How is everyone feeling? My sinuses seem to have stopped draining. My energy is okay. Not tired this afternoon. 

Tomorrow, I signed up for an all day yoga retreat out of town. I'll pack my food for the day tonight. Probably keep it clean...salad with leftover chicken. 

Mary, how was your day? 

widget

Hello all!! I had a particularly stressful day at work yesterday, and ALL I wanted was a big glass of wine when I got home! I got some reinforcement from my best friend (who sticks to a similar diet) and husband (who is being surprisingly strong and doing this with me) and instead had some sparkling water and made coconut curry chicken and cauliflower over zucchini ribbons. Delicious, I went back for seconds! I think the lack of fruit helped me - I didn't hit an afternoon slump like I usually do and felt good at the end of the day. Today we are celebrating my husbands birthday (he is "cheating" today and then starting his 30 days over tomorrow) so I will play DD if he wants a beer or two and I'm feeling incredibly motivated to skip any treats or junk I will inevitably be around today (BBQ festival, tailgating, tonight's football game). Ladies - we can do this!!! Glad you've joined Bear - how do your kids eat? Luckily mine subsists on fruit, cheese, crackers and PBJs so I can make those ad nauseum without being too tempted, because I am sick of even looking at it all! :)

Welcome to the Saturday. Last night I packed my lunch for the yoga retreat: avocado, salad greens, two hard boiled eggs, half sliced apple. Should be okay. Now the yoga part...I'm a newbie there two. I've never really given myself to the practice but I think it's another healthy choice. Ladies, 60 is a signpost looming on my horizon. I have another 18 months before I get there but when I do, I want to be the healthiest I can possibly be entering a new decade.

Can we do a roll call...mini bio. I live in Calgary, Alberta, a stone's throw from Banff National Park and the Rocky Mountains. I work as a communications coordinator/graphic designer for a charity that help children and adults process grief during times of life-threatening illness or the death of someone close. I have three kids, the eldest is married and lives with his wife about a 90 minute drive north of here. My other son is 21 and moved out about 18 months ago and my daughter is 19. She lives with friends and attends the university. I am a widow.

I'm doing Whole30 to help transition to being an empty nester. My daughter moved out a week ago and this is a way healthier choice than moping with wine.

That's me. Have a wonderful Saturday. Jillibean....all the best with your husband's birthday. My Day5 e-news from Whole30 was full of tips for navigating social situations.

widget

Good morning, Widget, Jillibean and Beara! For breakfast - my nemesis - I had leftover Cashew Beef from It Starts With Food ( from now on to be referred to as The Book). It was very odd eating that as my husband ate his cereal. But I was ecstatic that I did not have to think or chop. I did eat 5 lovely, organic strawberries.

Widget, It is good to hear that you are already seeing some results! Clear sinuses WOOHOO! Breathing is not overrated.

I have worked through two afternoons of sharp headaches, then they go away. Afternoons have always been a weak time for me. I am drinking a lot of water....1/2 oz per pound of body weight seems a lot, but then I realize that 2 sport bottles ans 2-12 oz glasses of water will meet that goal. It's still blazingly hot here in San Antonio, so no problem.

I have a question: I have cut my coffee down to 2 morning cups of black coffee, but during my afternoon dark times, when I sit and read or smock, I have a cup of decafinated, plain tea...and again after dinner. This meets the Whole30 guidelines, right?

Today, my husband (who will be known as Phil) and I are going to the great farmer's market downtown. This is a nice opportunity to buy local meats and veggies. BTW, Phil is only marginally supportive. So far his evening adult beverage, bowl of chips or pretzels and after dinner ice cream or cookies have not bothered me, but I see his choices as the sleeping alligator that I will have to wrestle with later. Annoying man maintains a comfortable weight effortlessly. I have warned him about the imminent crankiness stage.

I look forward to reading your posts. Widget, 60 is only a number. You are working toward being the best 60 ever and your friends will be stunned and amazed at how active, healthy and happy-with-yourself you are.

Here's to all of us for taking our lives under control!

Mary

Hi Everyone! Today is day 5 for me :) I have a terrible headache and have had this since day 3. Ive been drinking 1 black coffee everyday and drinking a ton of water. Any suggestions on how to help the headache?

Meals have been delicious. I am keeping it simple without getting boring. I like to mix things up and not eat the same things all the time.

My coworkers, friends and fiancé are already giving me crap for not drinking. Ugh...

I need more support during the next 25 days, so that's why I am here!

Wow - today was tough!!! I came through though and feel so much better for it!

Bio: I live in a tiny town outside of Lexington, Kentucky with my husband Patrick, dog Bacchus (can you tell I love wine?) and 3 year old son Gerrit. I am an attorney who works for huge firm doing conflicts (making sure any conflicts won't get us sued basically) and I love it! I stayed home until right before my sons birthday and I am so glad with both my choice to stay home and my recent one to return to work. Now I need energy, to detox from processed foods (normally we are healthy but long days at work have resulted in too many takeout nights lately) and to lose the last bit of baby weight. I'm signed up for a marathon in December so I need to step up my game!

Today I missed breakfast (running out the door to a soccer game), then had a sweet potato topped with shredded pork/pineapple/coconut (best I could find and I was starving!!!) and for dinner had salad, steak, and roasted Brussels sprouts and carrots. All totally from scratch and Whole30 approved, and the entire family loved it! I even skipped cake and ice cream :)

Off to tuck in my sugar-crashed toddler - and then follow suit myself! Busy day but feeling amazing knowing I navigated a food festival, bourbon distillery tour, football game and birthday dinner without a drop of alcohol or processed foods!!!!!!

Also - love hearing all about y'all! What fun lives!

Thanks, Jillibean for the coffee/tea answer. You had a busy day and were successful. Good job! Your dinner sounds wonderful. What's the plan for Sunday?

Kimberly, my headaches lasted 2 days...hopefully yours will end soon. How much coffee/caffeinated drinks were you drinking before starting Whole30? If it was a lot maybe you need a second cup in the morning.

My sympathies with your lack of support. I keep telling my husband that this is a path to improved health and energy. That seems to help reduce the scoffing.

Today's trip to the farmer's market went well, I bought some local, organic veggies and eggs. I also treated myself to the first Well Fed recipe book and read through it tonight. I now realize that I need more vegetables. A lot more vegetables! Every vegetable in my fridge is being eaten. There are no old pieces in the drawers. I'll work through this first week or so, but need to come up with a plan.

Goodnight, y'all!

Hey friends,

The retreat was amazing. The location filled with peace. The hosts supported and surrounded us, mostly yoga newbies from the church, with great care and love. For dinner I had leftover short ribs and spaghetti squash.

Mary, I'll need to do some reading on upping the veggies. I generally eat lots of dark green veggies anyway. Kale still abounds in the garden, although there is a forecast for snow on Tuesday. I am scurrying around harvesting the cabbages and spaghetti squash. Tomorrow I'll cut down all my chocolate mint and dry it so I'll have tea all winter.

Tonight, a friend told me she harvests her herbs, pulses them in the blender with olive oil and stores them in small ziplock bags in the freezer. That's a great idea and Whole30 compliant. Another job for tomorrow.

I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any headaches. However, I don't eat much processed food or sugar normallly so that might be the reason. Also, I would be insane if I tried this and had to give up my morning coffee. Hopefully for you who suffer, this shall pass.

The only thing I've reallly noticed is that I'm really tired by the end of the day. And, I have to pee a lot more during the night...two or three times.

Kimberly, welcome aboard. We're happy to encourage you in the journey.

Heading to bed,

widget

Kimberly I've been asked out several times for drinks and receive a lot of teasing!! Day 5 email had some good idea that have helped (soda water with lime, I offer to be DD, text a supportive friend (all you need is the one!). And it's ok to drink more coffee or tea if you need it - maybe two coffee like Mary said?

Widget - that retreat sounds amazing! I wish I could get more into yoga - I love it!

Plans for today are eggs and grapefruit (then only coffee at church brunch), leftover salad/steak for lunch. And for dinner (I'm going into work today to catch up on some things) a coworker and I are going to go to her house and make a Whole30 meal and drink sparkling water! Then off to the gym to catch up on the miles I didn't do yesterday...long busy day!

Happy Football Sunday everyone!

Marty/Jillibean I eat Paleo but went beast mode Labor Day weekend and ate anything and everything. I dealt with the consequences in the form of a 3 day stomach ache. I drink a coffee/tea about once per week, always black. Now, I am having 1-2 everyday. But it sounds like that isn't a bad thing :)

Its Day 6 and my headache hasn't returned, but its only 9am so it has plenty of time to creep back

My fiancé is going to his friends to watch the games today, so I am left with all his junk food. Luckily, I remember what happened last time I ate that stuff so Im not even tempted. I never want to feel that way again.

A little back story on moi, I started my wellness journey on February 11th of this year with portion control by way of the 21 Day Fix. I didn't start eating Paleo until my first Whole30 on April 29th. I know I wont ever turn back now! My food allergies are gone, (walnuts, almonds, raw fruits and veggies) and my seasonal allergies too! I have had pollen allergies my entire life. I never ever thought those would go away, I just dealt with the sneezing and itchy eyes every spring and fall. I cant even explain the feeling to not have any symptoms. I have lost 52 pounds and am at my healthiest I have ever been. Now people are telling me I shouldn't get too skinny.... where was everyone when I was unhealthy and getting too fat? I will never understand society...

Today I plan to meal prep a bit for the week (whole30 approved pulled pork!!) and watch some football with my puppy as my company.

Anyone else football fans?? Go Pats!!! Im from Massachusetts, of course!l)

While you're all off to yoga, gym and friend time I am singing in the church choir (no solos! Strictly volume.), helping with the fall Rally Day, and bringing my mother to our house for dinner and chat ( a change from the pace at her extended care facility). Rally Day includes lunch so I'm hoping there will be salad fixings...more on that later.

Dinner tonight includes turkey cutlets and creamy kale from Well Fed.

My husband just told me to shake a leg. So good luck today!

Good morning everyone, widget reporting in. 

Kimberly, it sounds like the Paleo lifestyle is permanent for you. When you're not doing Whole30, do you add in dairy? I appreciated your comments about your friends saying, "Now people are telling me I shouldn't get too skinny.... where was everyone when I was unhealthy and getting too fat? I will never understand society..." My thoughts on that are I'm doing this for my health and well-being, not for society. Not for my friends and family. For Me. 

Today's Whole30 Daily email talked about sleep. Ah blessed sleep...a.k.a. the new sex. Now that's a conundrum. I wish I could get more than six hours of sleep at the best of times. Maybe it's an effect of menopause. I don't know. Doing Whole30, and drinking as much water as I am during the day, my body seems to want to empty the bladder frequently through the night. Last night I was up four times to sleepwalk to the bathroom and make a deposit. Today I will try to stop all fluid intake by 6. See if that makes a difference. I was hoping the Whole30 would help to reset the sleep clock as well. 

Otherwise, I feel great today. No idea what I'm going to eat. Probably clean out the fridge of all the leftovers. Scrambled eggs for breakfast with olives and sautéd kale perhaps. Off to church. I decided to put on a summer frock as tomorrow the temperature will hover just about freezing and Tuesday there's a forecast of snow. Argggh. Living in the frozen wasteland of the north, summer is but a fleeting, tantalizing ship in the port. I hope to finish painting the shed, hangup curtain panels and visit with my mother. 

Have a great day everyone. 

widget

I'm a football fan - LSU Tigers though!  My firm is based out of Boston, so we have a few Pats fans around here :)

This morning I went to church (had eggs and 1/2 a grapefruit prior), only drank coffee during brunch, and am now eating leftover salad with steak and oil/vinegar for lunch.  Trying to get in a few quick hours at the office then off to a 9 mile walk/run to enjoy this GORGEOUS weather (75 and sunny - yesterday was mid 90s!) and then off to a friend's 50th birthday party...I'll have to bring something for myself!

I've thought about switching to regular paleo after this is done...not sure I can do without bread for the longterm though!!  Maybe take it day by day :)  Will DEFINITELY add back in dairy though - I miss cheese!

Widget - Thank you for that suggestion! I will definitely remember that when people question my decisions. You're right though, its our lives and our well being, not anyone else's. I suggest family members and friends to try a Whole30 all the time. I even sent excerpts from ISWF!

I stick to the Paleo lifestyle even after a Whole30, so this isn't too far from my normal routine. However, I LOVE to bake. So I am constantly baking Paleo cookies, muffins etc. I didn't actually do the reintroduction process last time. I guess I could, but isn't worth it to me to feel so sick again. Having said that, I need the structure/rules or I fall off the deep end every once and a while.

Boston is a beautiful city! I hope you get to visit even if its just for business :)

Parties/Holidays are tough...  prior planning is key!

Held a glass of champagne at the birthday party, then set it down (and my hubby drank it per my request secretly) so I could hold my friend's 4 day old newborn and not look out of place for the birthday toasts. Babies are a great excuse to not drink!!! Just loved being able to hand her back when I came home ;) stuck to the rules and had plain shredded chicken with lettuce and salsa, and watermelon for dinner. Skipped cake :)

Good morning! I just spent a few minutes reading through everybody's weekend updates. It sounds like everybody did a great job navigating their individual social plans and sticking to it! My husband is supportive of my whole30 although he doesn't want to participate, but he and my son went camping this weekend so when they got back there was a lot of non-compliant temptations around (marshmallows, chocolate, soda, hot dog buns, etc) and I experienced "Kill All the Things" last night, so that was a little tough. I stuck with my plan this weekend, too, although I am still working on getting the timing for all my meals spaced out properly.

Jillybean816, you asked how my kids eat - they eat pretty good for being 3 and 4, but they could eat better. The daycare we send them to feeds them breakfast and lunch, and it is pretty SAD (Standard American Diet) fare - cereal and canned peaches for breakfast, noodles/protein/canned veggies for lunch, crackers and cheese for a snack, but at dinner I only cook one meal for everybody and so they eat what I eat at dinner and on the weekends. Well...I put it on their plates...they don't always eat it :) But that is their choice, and I'm not at all worried they will starve to death! I did make some Salmon Cakes from WellFed 2 this morning for lunch today and dinner tomorrow, and they were both bugging me about wanting some of that for breakfast. If I'd had more time, I would have let them eat it! We planted some tomatoes and peas together this year, and pumpkins and cucumbers, and they love all of the food they planted. I let them go out to the plants and eat as much as they want, whenever they want.

Brief bio: I am located in Boise (born and raised here, went away to school and then came back) and I work in technical editing at an engineering consulting firm. I worked part-time until about a year ago, when I moved to full-time, which is really nice - I was able to be home with the kids when they were really young, but also still have some intellectual stimulation. I love to play tennis and go to yoga and barre classes, although I don't do any of that very often. My exercise mostly consists of walking the dog at night. I also love to read blogs, and I can't remember when I became so interested in healthy living, I think it was after my oldest was born.

We eat a lot of vegetables at our house, but we also eat a lot of the SAD stuff, which I would really like to wean out, especially after reading parts of It Starts With Food this weekend. My 4-year-old was diagnosed with cancer February 2014 and finished treatments in July - I want to really get him back on the right track and teach him to eat properly for life so that he can minimize side-effects from his treatments. There is a correlation between the type of cancer he had and an increased risk of breast cancer for me, so I am also trying to make the right choices to avoid that as much as I can.

I have been surprised that yesterday was really the only day so far of intense cravings for me - I have a heck of a sweet tooth :)

Archived