My Second Go... Day 3, and feeling okay.

Tyler_Monier

Good Morning!

So the wife and I are giving this, well I would say our second go, but in all honesty we have completed one full 30 and failed about 3 others.  I have more motivation this time than others.  After my first 30 my blood sugar was perfect, my cholesterol was more than perfect, and my blood pressure...perfect.  Then I fail off the rail, and started eating very unhealthy as well as no longer participating in exercise.  Just as before my main motivation is my daughter.  Now 2 and a half years old, and full of energy.  I can't let her down for my own selfish reasons of eating food that is bad for me.  I need to be around for her as she grows up, and thus the second...or fourth go (I will complete this one!).  In the past I have had dreams of dying in my 30's, and I believe that was a sign for me to get up and do something/make that change in my life.

About my health:

I am a diabetic and have been for about 10 years now.  I've been up and down with my numbers, mostly in the high 100's and sometimes low 200's.  When I was diagnosed I was actually at 850.  Sadly doctors have just added medication on top of medication, and it seems to not be working as well as when I was first diagnosed.  I take Metformin twice daily, Glipizide once daily, and Lantus (insulin injection) once daily. I cannot keep my numbers below 200 at any time even eating healthy.  So the decision to do this Whole30 was an easy one.  I know that from the first time it makes improvements.

Oh .. I love to cook, and create new recipes.  I'm not creative enough to write a blog, or create an amazing database of food pictures/recipes though.  I am not afraid of trying new foods.  However I do get disappointed whenever a recipe doesn't necessarily fail, but I dislike the outcome / taste.  At any rate .. I hope to make some connections here, and maybe share some of my success with those who need the motivation as well as a few of my recipes. 

Best of luck to you and your wife!  To give you a little encouragement, a little smidge of my info.  I am 36 years old and Type 2 diabetic, diagnosed 11 years ago. I take Metformin and Glipizide both twice a day.  After a Whole30 plus another 30 days of mostly compliant eating (OMG time flies!) - [i reintro'd CORN which has proven to be a mistake] - I am able to reduce the Glipizide. I only need the 2nd dose if I eat starchy veggies with dinner, specifically yams or sweet potatoes.  Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, all have little to no effect on my blood sugar.  You too will come to learn your own reactions & take it from me, they might surprise you. 

Please share your successes, missteps, and recipes. We are here to support you in any way you need!  B)

p.s. someone tell my grammar teacher to stop rolling in her grave.  While I'm sorry I write/type like an uneducated slob, I'm too lazy to actually follow the rules.

MamaKitty - Thank you for your response. It is good to see, and hear from others that have similar issues as myself.  I as well, used to take both twice a day, and when they introduced the Lantus they took the Glipizide down to once a day.  So far I have seen minimal improvement with their adjustments.  So this is why I am attempting a second Whole30.  Are you currently within the program? When I add sweet potatoes I haven't noticed much change, but I don't eat a lot of them.  I have however started to take my blood sugar before and after every meal to try and zero in on what is effecting me; whereas I used to only take it twice a day period.  Granted I am only day 3, and just starting my journey; I have already seen a drop in my numbers, and can only hope that I am on the right path!

I have noticed odd things like if I eat a baked sweet potato, it spikes my blood sugar in a way that I don't see when I eat the diced up sweet potatoes.  And yams (the orange or red ones) have a lesser effect on blood sugar than the white sweet potatoes. I started the Whole30 when white potatoes were still banned, and never felt like I should restart them.  I'm having way too much fun with the sweet ones.  Never, ever imagined that I would tolerate them, let alone be eating them twice a day on a very regular basis.

I only take my blood sugar when I feel off - I still sometimes can't tell the difference between high and low (after 11 years you'd think I'd be smarter than that!).  Years ago, used to poke my finger multiple times a day to try to figure out what was happening - but the doc wouldn't up my prescription for strips, and told me flat-out to stop.  Since then I have switched docs but it took a lot more cases of her not really being helpful with my diabetes to prompt me to change. 

Currently I am eating within the program.  I had a few days of non-compliancy in the form of corn - on the cob and popcorn.  I'm currently 100% off the corn.  My relationship with popcorn is incredibly unhealthy.  I'll tell myself I'll just have a little - and it's air-popped in coconut oil with no butter, so it should be ok.  But then the whole bucket is gone, and I've been eating it for an hour straight, and I wasn't even hungry in the first place.  UGH!  Plus, I want to determine whether it's popcorn giving me itchy eczema spots on wrist and eyelid - or if it's the sweet peppers I started eating on day 25 of my first Whole30 at the beginning of August.  So I'm going to eliminate both for quite a while, and then reintroduce each separately (with lots of time between) to determine which is making me so itchy.  I don't think I'll call it an official Whole30 because that's really the way I'm trying to live most of the time.  There's not much from the "old way" of eating that I miss.  Popcorn was one, but it's not my friend!

You are on the right path - stick with it, you already know how good it will feel to finish the Whole30.

I don't know if you have been to Springfield Missouri, but we have a style of Cashew Chicken that I have a huge problem with.  It is my downfall no matter what.  I can't say that I will ever give it up...just not eat it as much.  So I understand your popcorn issue for sure.  As far as white potatoes go, I'm with you.  I probably will not reintroduce them while doing the Whole30, nor Paleo; as I feel they can drive me towards food choices I should not make. That and my wife lusts mashed potatoes, french fries, chips, hash browns, etc.  So yeah I'll keep them off the plate to save us!

Archived