Brewer5 and Kmlynne - We're in this Together! :)

Kmlynne

Day 0 - I'm back!!!!!!

I started my first w30 this year, making it 100+ days before I moved over to the "post w30" log area.  Over the next 17 days, I did fairly well, but was seeing old habits creep back in.  Do to a variety of circumstances and stressors, I haven't posted for about a week.  During that time, I went seriously off-roading.  Right back to old habits.  Now, I am feeling not only overwhelmed (emotionally and mentally), in pain (back injury), but also sick (from eating things I know I shouldn't).  I had that little voice in the back of my head saying, "You need to restart!".  I would begin the day with good intentions but by the end, I was going through the drive through for dinner and munching on a bag of chips on my way to bed.   For many days, I didn't even open the whole30 forum.  I guess I was feeling like I not only let myself down, but others as well.  Then, I did - and waiting on my log was my friend with a challenge  :)

When she told me she wanted to start another w30, I knew it was time!  When she asked when we should start, I wanted to wait for the end of the weekend, but Dallas and Melissa were whispering, "why wait?"  So, I suggested starting on Sept 5 - that gives one day to clean out the junk from the house (and I promise to throw it away - not eat it  :rolleyes: ).  I am almost, kinda, sorta, getting there excited!  I even went through one of my paleo cookbooks this morning (instead of doing the work that I should have been doing).  I am going to have to do some easy meals with what I have for right now - I tried going grocery shopping yesterday and the back just couldn't handle that much walking.  I am sure I have enough in the house for a few more days.

I did do my weights and measurements today.  I didn't factor in that I am working  a night shift tonight when I thought about starting tomorrow.  (Never good to weigh and measure after working all night).  I was saddened but not surprised to see that I had put some weight back on, as well as some inches.  (For the sake of this w30, I am using todays numbers as my start point, instead of my lowest.)  I knew in my heart that there was some gains.  Mostly fluid I believe since I have noticed sheet wrinkles on my arms, shoulders and hips when I get out of bed in the morning.  I also have to remember to look at the measurements (especially of my waist and hips) with a grain of salt since I am not quite able to stand up straight still.  

I am going to be diligent about my food.  Activity will have to come as the back heals.  (It really is sooooo much better than a week and a half ago when I hurt it, but it will still take some time)  I have done this before - I know I can do it again!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO glad to be starting this journey again with you!

As you know, I did my Whole 30 back in May and then I moved on with my life... to some not-so-healthy choices.  I have been in the land of Carb Nite and Carb Back-Loading lately, where I have learned a lot!  But I have also allowed dairy back in, and TOO much junk.  :(  I have not been feeling g.o.o.d.  I want that back.

I don't weigh myself often, but I did this morning in preparation for this Whole 30.  I have gained about 6 pounds since the end of my last one.  I know, some of that is muscle -- since I have been training specifically with that goal -- but there is no way all of it is.  Or even most of it.  It takes folks AWHILE to put on 6 pounds of solid muscle.  ;)

So, while I had no weight loss goal for my first W30, this time I would like to see some fat loss.  Mainly -- I want to feel good and be the BEST me I can be for my family -- I want health.  I need these symptoms to go away that are telling me I am not taking the best care of myself.  

And yes, my friend, we have done this before -- we most certainly can do this again.  See you on Day 1!   B)

Day 1

I started getting pretty compliant yesterday, but today it's official.  Karen, you'd better show up soon!  ;)

Breakfast thoughts:  I would have been getting up and having coffee with heavy cream when following CN or CBL.  Lots of heavy cream.  2 days without that now, and so far I don't miss it!  It was kind of starting to gross me out.  Knowing it isn't making me feel good helps with that -- a lot.  Anyway, then I would have a breakfast of just protein & fat -- no carbs.  But today, W30-style, I knew I needed to add some veggies to that.  I struggled with this decision a bit this morning, since I really (REALLY) enjoy my eggs & ghee alone.  Of course I did not want to start the very first meal of the very first day in a way that does not follow the template, so...  I dug around and decided to try a pepper of some kind we got from the neighbors.

Lunch thoughts:  Our pickles have things that I can't pronounce, so I assume they are not compliant.  I substituted little chunks of cucumber in my egg salad today and it was SO GOOD.  These cucumbers were just hanging out in the fridge -- a gift from my mother's garden, and I finally put them to good use.  So glad I did.  I also just have to say again how much I LOVE homemade mayo!  And I love making it.  I have only had one "fail" so far, and boy, that was not fun.  Really disappointing.  I have been super careful ever since, and it turns out so great.  I don't know how we lived so long with no mayo in this house.  This stuff is amazing and so versatile!  I made a new batch today, and I am slowly incorporating MCT oil for some of the olive oil so that it is heavier on the saturated fat... I mean, a better mix of types of fats instead of all olive oil.  Today was 1/2 cup MCT and 3/4 cup olive, and it worked out great.  Texture, flavor, no problem.

Snack thoughts:  Cleaning like crazy, sipping on coffee, husband not home in time with the groceries.  I had to grab a little something, but I made sure it was in the form of a mini-meal.  A very mini-meal.

Supper thoughts:  The rest of the family had hard taco shells & tortilla chips with theirs, and salsa that was not compliant...  So I was feeling a bit blah about supper but whatever, no big deal.  The red potato made up for it -- thank you W30 for adding all varieties of potatoes!  This was something I disagreed with back in May but followed out of respect for the program.  Anyway -- when following CN and CBL, the idea is to control insulin all day and if you are going to have carbs, to have them at night (usually on workout days).  I am going to gravitate toward having the majority of my carbs post-workout and at night, but I am not going to stress about whether it is a workout day or not.  If I want a potato... I am having a potato.  :)

Oh, and also:  This W30 is going to be NUT- and SEED-free for me.  I learned quite awhile ago that munching on them causes me digestive distress and bingeing issues, but still allowed my homemade sunflower butter to creep into my last W30 and take a position on my plate that pushed out other healthy choices.  For that reason, it is not happening this time around.  Period.  Life DOES go on without nuts & seeds.

I won't add "meal thoughts" every day, but I had a lot of them today since it was Day 1.  One thing I have thought about doing is adding an "ISWF Thought" each day.  This occurred to me today while I was cleaning every nook and cranny of our dusty living room.  I thought to myself, "Wow, I feel great... it starts with food!" LOL.

So --

M1:  scrambled eggs (3), 1/2 Tbsp ghee, a pepper of unknown name from neighbor's garden

M2:  hard-boiled eggs (3), homemade mayo, diced cucumbers, garlic salt, dill weed, additional cucumber slices

M3:  hard-boiled egg w/ homemade mayo, garlic salt, cucumber slices

M4:  ground beef, homemade taco seasoning, spinach, 1/2 avocado, red potato, ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (~24 oz.) and water

I'm here!  Just running a little bit late!

Day one started out half way through a night shift.  It was also a very busy night shift.  I had packed two meals, but only ate one when I was getting ready to go home.  I slept through most of the day (yeah!) and got up in plenty of time to do a little cooking (while I caught up on AGT) and packed to head back to work tonight.  (Tonight, I am working at our neighboring hospital - again a very busy night).  I have packed three meals, but since it is half way through the night and I have just had one meal, I don't think I am going to get all my food in.  Tomorrow will be a "short day" since I will be turning around back to regular hours for the rest of the weekend.

M1:  2sb eggs, 2 slices salami (am just realizing this probably had sugar in it), fermented carrots, dill pickle, almonds, dates and a banana

M2:  (when I woke up this afternoon) - 4 eggs scrambled with frozen mixed veggies and homemade guacamole

M3:  spinach salad with slivered almonds, raisins, baby cherry tomatos, sliced hb egg, applegate chicken apple sausage and tessamaes ranch dressing.

So, I don't have many thoughts today as far as food goes.  I did have a passing thought that I would rather have had a chick-fil-a sandwich instead of veggies - but thats about it.  I have been a bit too busy to worry about things too much :).  My back is better - no more "drop to my knees and cry" type of pain - mostly just muscle soreness and still quite a bit of pressure in my lower back pelvis and hips - but it is better.  I didnt have any excuse not to cook!  I did look at my cookbooks briefly this afternoon when I got up and realized how much I don't have in my kitchen - but then realized I had more than enough to make multiple meals if I really thought about it.  Crazy how our mind says "there's nothing to eat" when we have an abundance of food in front of us!

Well, it time to go heat another bottle.  By the end of this work shift, I will have done 16 feedings, changed 16 diapers (probably more - it amazes me how many times these kids can poop right after you have changed their diaper), and rocked several babies back to sleep.  I know I will be ready to go to my nice quiet bed when my shift is over!

So did you have any success with CN/CBL, Brewer? It sounds like you didn't but just wondering? Like you I introduced dairy and carb nite treats that completely undid any good I might have achieved in the intervening days. Perhaps if I had suck to perfect paleo it might have been different. Or perhaps my body is still metabolically damaged and just doesn't want to let go yet.

So did you have any success with CN/CBL, Brewer? It sounds like you didn't but just wondering? Like you I introduced dairy and carb nite treats that completely undid any good I might have achieved in the intervening days. Perhaps if I had suck to perfect paleo it might have been different. Or perhaps my body is still metabolically damaged and just doesn't want to let go yet.

You know, this is a hard one to answer and I have thought about it awhile before responding.  I would call this experiment a success, and here's why:

1)  It reminded me that I do have a serious problem with dairy.  It has a drug-like effect on me... the heavy cream is very calming.  It also makes me crave MORE dairy.  Specifically, Culver's ice cream.  I found I could not control myself sometimes and gave in to this craving on days I wasn't supposed to, completely off-roading and ignoring the rules of the programs.

2)  I have gained muscle and definition.  Yes, I have gained some fat, as well, but CBL specifically really allows for some good insulin spikes for muscle building.

3)  It has reminded me how very much I despise tracking calories and macros.  Most of the folks on the forums there do track.  I simply can't live my life that way.  For better or worse, it's just not natural and I won't do it on a regular basis because I know where it leads me -- to rebellion.

4)  It has helped me realize that the junk won't kill me, it really is okay and can even be beneficial to have sometimes.  But that means sometimes.  Which brings me to part two of this answer:  Sometimes does not mean every night.

5)  The way the programs are designed, it allowed me to do a significant bit of off-roading, without much damage.  I truly believe in the science behind the programs re: insulin control and manipulation.  Any failure at this point really is on MY part, not being able to follow the rules and stick with either program long enough to give it a real chance.

6)  It taught me a lot about me & my body, as did the Whole 30.  I know what I would like to do differently in the future.  Starting here & now.  

Day 2

Well, I never got my last meal in at work and was way too tired to eat anything.  I had a headache when I went to bed this morning and it was tripled by the time I woke up.  Could be alot of things - not enough sleep, not enough water, or coming off the sugars I had been eating.  *sigh*  Hard to believe how quickly these things happen.

I am planning to spend some time with a friend this afternoon and we will probably go out to dinner.

Got up and ate (had a big glass of water too and the headache is much more managable.   :)

M1:  zoodles with pork sausage crumbles and marinara sauce

You know, this is a hard one to answer and I have thought about it awhile before responding. I would call this experiment a success, and here's why:

1) It reminded me that I do have a serious problem with dairy. It has a drug-like effect on me... the heavy cream is very calming. It also makes me crave MORE dairy. Specifically, Culver's ice cream. I found I could not control myself sometimes and gave in to this craving on days I wasn't supposed to, completely off-roading and ignoring the rules of the programs.

2) I have gained muscle and definition. Yes, I have gained some fat, as well, but CBL specifically really allows for some good insulin spikes for muscle building.

3) It has reminded me how very much I despise tracking calories and macros. Most of the folks on the forums there do track. I simply can't live my life that way. For better or worse, it's just not natural and I won't do it on a regular basis because I know where it leads me -- to rebellion.

4) It has helped me realize that the junk won't kill me, it really is okay and can even be beneficial to have sometimes. But that means sometimes. Which brings me to part two of this answer: Sometimes does not mean every night.

5) The way the programs are designed, it allowed me to do a significant bit of off-roading, without much damage. I truly believe in the science behind the programs re: insulin control and manipulation. Any failure at this point really is on MY part, not being able to follow the rules and stick with either program long enough to give it a real chance.

6) It taught me a lot about me & my body, as did the Whole 30. I know what I would like to do differently in the future. Starting here & now.

I agree that the science makes sense, but much of what you've said applies to me too - specifically the food tracking: I couldn't do it, and that may have been the source of my problem, I don't know if I was eating too much, not enough, just right... I disliked the lack of vegetables though.

I have maintained only having starchy vege at night on workout days though, earning my carbs as it were, so perhaps whole 30 + CBL will be the sweet spot for me (not that I'm eating enough of them atm to get a insulin spike...).

If you decide to experiment with it again post-whole 30, I'd be interested to follow along.

Karen, your headache may be due to not enough food - often times headaches are my hunger signal, and once it's set in it's hard to shake it off.

I disliked the lack of vegetables though.

I actually came here tonight to post this:

7)  I have found a renewed appreciation for vegetables, after severely limiting them for awhile, trying to keep carbs as low as possible.  We went to the store today and I am so happy to see such a variety of color in my refrigerator again.  CN and CBL had allowed me to become lazy... I didn't have to stand in the kitchen cutting up vegetables, so I didn't.  Maybe it was a nice break from having to do so much work -- but I am glad to be back at it.  It never felt right to me to not be able to eat vegetables freely.  Also, if I am eating more vegetables -- that means the rest of my family is, also.  

Karen, your headache may be due to not enough food - often times headaches are my hunger signal, and once it's set in it's hard to shake it off.

So true! Have been feeling better as the day has gone on. This happened to me last time I started w30, too. Although my eating has been erratic the last few days, I do think I have eaten enough. I do believe that many things contribute to it right now.

Day 2 cont:

Snack - (should have gone for a mini meal but....). Apple, 1/2 banana, sun butter

M2: ribeye, onions and mushrooms, sweet potato, salad

After dinner, stopped by work for my PI project with my friend in tow before heading home. This is the first time in a long time we didn't stay out late - both of us being tired. So, am heading to bed now to get my rest for tomorrow.

Day 2

We ALL had to be up way earlier than usual today for my youngest son's first flag football game & pictures.  This made for a long day.  I've been really productive, though -- my mind feels really clear, especially considering the lack of sleep.

M1:  scrambled eggs (3), ghee, neighbor's pepper (again)

M2:  hard-boiled eggs (3), homemade mayo, diced cucumbers, paprika, dill weed, salt (deja vu)

M3:  can of Polar tuna, homemade mayo, dill weed, salt, various colors of bell peppers

M4:  ground sirloin, onion, garlic, salt, red potato, ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (~24 oz), 1/2 can La Croix lime sparkling water, water.

I had hoped to do my strength training today, but due to lack of sleep I decided to postpone.  I am lifting heavy and not messing around -- definitely need to be well-rested so I can beat myself up.  (kidding)   ;)  But seriously, I know I will be able to have a great workout tomorrow.

Day 2 

I hate to say it but today was an epic fail and I will be starting over tomorrow. :(

Things started out well, but after church I was invited to a restaurant for lunch that I knew would not be compliant.  Not only an upscale, expensive restaurant, but also not a "cook to order" type of place either.  I did start out trying to be good, then consciously made the decision to enjoy the food, the fun and the fellowship.  

During the 1 1/2 hour drive home, I realized why I love w30.  Let's just say I was desperate to hit the bathroom before we made it back to the church.  Then I barely made the 10 min drive home from there....  It's going to be a long night.....

I am looking forward to starting over tomorrow - new resolve!

Oh man, so sorry about your digestive distress!  :(   I went through so many years of that... just hearing your story makes me shudder with memories.  I honestly think mine is SO SO SO much better since I eliminated gluten -- permanently.  I used to eat somewhere like Olive Garden -- unlimited breadsticks, pasta, sometimes chocolate cake for dessert -- and I honestly did not make the connection between the wheat/gluten and my upset stomach all those years ago.  It seems so stupid to me now.  So many years of stress I went through, before I realized that was really the root of my problems.

Anyway -- I will see you back here tomorrow for a fresh, new start.  :)  Hope you feel better soon!

Day 3

ISWF Thought for today:  I have been getting a lot of cleaning done at my house for the past few days.  Things I used to look at and just feel completely overwhelmed... now I am tackling.  I hope this keeps up!  My house could use at least another few days of this.  :)  

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, onion, ghee

M2 (Post-WO):  canned pumpkin, 1/3 banana, cinnamon ~ then a little later ~ ground sirloin, onion

M3:  ground sirloin, onion, zucchini, various colors of red peppers, ghee

M4:  ^ same as M3 + red potato

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (32 oz), 1/2 can La Croix sparkling water, water.

Last W30, I settled into 3 meals per day, usually only having 4 meals on workout days.  This time, I am not going to worry about it.  I think I eat less on days that are super busy (weekdays) and more on the weekends... and I think it will all even out.  What I will not do -- is I will not be snacking or grazing.  If I feel the need to eat, it will be a meal or mini-meal, following the template.

Well, Karen... I hope you are still around... otherwise I just look silly now.   :rolleyes:  haha

Day 4

M1:  scrambled eggs (3), ghee, neighbor's pepper

M2:  tilapia, broccoli, coconut oil/ghee, coconut milk in my coffee

M3:  grilled chicken breast tenders, french green beans, russet potato, ghee

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (40 oz), can of La Croix sparking water, water.

That time of the month is here and it sort of surprised me... which means I have not been thinking "WHY am I feeling so bitchy?!" and literally counting the days out on the calendar.  That is a good sign.

I made homemade ice cream for the kids tonight with the heavy cream I had left in the fridge, and all of the coconut sugar that was left in the cabinet.  I even bought them candy bars, which I stood in the kitchen and diced up myself to go in it.  Really -- really, it wasn't bad and I wasn't super tempted.  Another great sign.  I have been feeling really good.  

I'm Here!!!!!!  It's just been a crazy day!

Day One (do over :)

Up early this morning.  Slept fairly well last night - at least until 4 am, then I was up hourly. :(  So, this am, up to make DS breakfast before he headed off to school.  I decide to run a couple of errands before napping this afternoon (have to work nights tonight).  I went to the dump then headed into work to get the data for my PI project.  While there, I was suckered into working for "just an hour" which turned into something more like two or more.  Got out of there just in time to get to the chiropractor before he closed for lunch.  My back is feeling much better :)  Yeah!  Anyway, a quick trip the the grocery store then the bank and I was home for a nap this afternoon.  Overslept and missed a meeting this evening but made it to work on time.  Had a delivery right off the bat and now I am typing as fast as my fingers can go before I have to get tothe next delivery.  Whew!

M1 (at home): scrambled egg and banana (tummy still not up to par this morning)

M2:  (at work....):  salad with tessamaes dressing and egg, lettuce, celery, mushrooms, beets, spinach,.....  cant remember what else.

M3:  (planned for later tonight) - zoodles with sausage and marinara

M4:  (really hope I get to this!) - rotisserie chicken, frozen mixed vegies, homemade guac.

Brewer5 - I am so happy to hear how well this is going for you.  The extra energy is great!  I wish I could clean - sat around for a week with back hurting just seeing all the things that need to be done and couldn't - and now I feel like I can, there just isnt any time!  One day....  it will still be there I am sure!  I am looking forward to be back in that place where I can deal with temptations.  As for today, there are m/ms (peanut butter) and york peices in our break room.  I wanted to grab the bags and run - instead, I am just staying out of there! 

now I am typing as fast as my fingers can go before I have to get tothe next delivery.  Whew!

I wanted to grab the bags and run - instead, I am just staying out of there! 

:D  So glad you checked in last night.  I got to read it right before I went to sleep -- which meant I could sleep peacefully, not worried about whether Karen was buried under a pile of food wrappers of some kind.  haha

And GREAT for you for staying away from the candy!  I find it crazy that things can be so tempting to us that really aren't even that decadent or great-tasting.  It really speaks to the power of the drug-like effects of sugar, doesn't it?  (I just realized there is that section of ISWF where they specifically talk about the "open bag of M&Ms in the break room" not being worth it... don't they?!)

Anyway, really happy that your back is doing better.  And Day One checked off for you -- woo hoo!  Have a great Day Two.  :)

Day 2

A couple of days ago, day 2 was my downfall.  Today was good.

I woke again with a headache but it wasnt' too bad this time.  Just enough to be annoying.

I worked last night, so slept today.  When I got up today, I had a quick meal before heading to the chiropractor.  After daily visits for two weeks, he has finally said that he doesn't need to see me for a couple of days!  I am not 100%, but really am feeling so much better.

Back home to cook dinner for DS and I.  He has gained alot of weight over the last year.  He is my child that wont touch a vegetable if he doesnt have to.  Of course, working at fast food hasn't helped either.  I did finally talk him into letting me pack lunches for him while he is at school.  (I haven't been able to do this for over 6 years)  I am hoping to keep a paleo approach while introducing some veggies...  it's going to challenge me :)

Anyway, after making dinner, I had just enough time to pack mine and head into work for a meeting (inservice).  Once home, I realized I was still a bit hungry so made myself another meal.

Hopefully will get to bed early tonight since I work day shift tomorrow.

M1:  sb egg, chicken apple sausage, carrot slaw

M2:  nomnompaleo's meatloaf muffins, mashed potatos with ghee and green beans

M3:  rotisserie chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, butternut squash with ghee, homemade guac.

Karen, I've been meaning to ask you when you post about rotisserie chicken -- did you actually find one that is compliant at a store, or is it from a recipe you have?

Day 5

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, onion, ghee

M2:  can of Polar tuna, homemade mayo, diced cucumber, 1/2 avocado

M3:  (mini -- pre-workout)  hard-boiled egg, mayo, cucumber slices

M4:  (post-workout) 1/2 small sweet potato, plain hamburger patty

M5:  canned chicken breast, diced green bell peppers, onion, ghee/coconut oil, russet potato

Drinks:  1/2 caff coffee (32 oz), can of La Croix sparkling water, water.

Lifted heavy today, and had the hunger tonight to show for it.  I have my own equipment in my garage now, which has been a dream of mine for awhile.  Really enjoying it.

Discovered my sweet potatoes were NOT in great shape, which was disappointing, as I was really looking forward to having one right after my workout.  Gee, time to go to the store... again!   :rolleyes:

My youngest requested blueberry muffins today, and I realized it has been a long time since I have baked them anything like that.  When we first started Paleo, I spent a lot of time on things like that to help them make the transition and not miss their old (crappy) foods.  So I made the recipe from Practical Paleo, which uses Grade B maple syrup.  MAN, they smelled good when they came out of the oven!  Smelled like pancakes.  Like the most awesome pancakes EVER.  lol   ...But all I did was smell them.  And I really appreciated how good they smelled, and I appreciated how much my kids enjoyed them.  Good enough for me.  

There is a store near my aunts in Illinois that has "bare" chickens (this is its name too). When I was there last month I stopped and picked up four of them and threw them in the freezer. I have also found a local Giant store that will cook them unseasoned if I ask - have to plan ahead for that tho.....

Day 3

Last night I got a call that I probably wouldn't be needed at work today. Then got the 6am phone call that I was being floated to the hospital down the road. Had to scramble to get my meals together. (That's what I get for not having packed meals). The plus is that I am getting to take care of some little babies for a change :). Makes me happy! My favorite pts to care for are the 2-3 pounders and I have missed them since changing hospitals 5 years ago.

M1: zoodles with pork sausage and marinara

M2: meatloaf muffins, mashed potatos and green beans

M3: 2 eggs scrambled, chicken apple sausage, sweet potato, 2 dill pickles and an apple.

I am speaking to the drug-like effect of sugar.  I have to treat sugar like alcoholics treat alcohol.  I can't even have a little or I go off on a tangent.  The great thing about W30 eating is that the cravings for sugar go away.  I had a slip-up and now can't seem to stop with the sugar...like you said, some of it isn't even worth the calories!  Now, all I have to do is leave the sugar alone long enough to get back on and stay on.

I am speaking to the drug-like effect of sugar.  I have to treat sugar like alcoholics treat alcohol.  I can't even have a little or I go off on a tangent.  The great thing about W30 eating is that the cravings for sugar go away.  I had a slip-up and now can't seem to stop with the sugar...like you said, some of it isn't even worth the calories!  Now, all I have to do is leave the sugar alone long enough to get back on and stay on.

Hey sweitzel, thanks for posting.  :)  I have written here before (a lot) about addiction and the effects that these things have on the brain.  I've done a lot of research on the subject over the years, battling an addiction to nicotine myself.  (Happy to say I've been FREE of that one for well over a year now.)  You are absolutely right in using the alcohol analogy.  People in denial would like to think that things like sugar, dairy, and wheat cannot possibly be compared to drugs -- preposterous!   Right?  ;)  ..........Right.   I know better.  You know better.  As evidenced by my recent affair with dairy (and ice cream in particular -- talk about the ultimate dairy/sugar whammy) & the battle you have going on with sugar right now.

Just as it takes awhile for an alcoholic get to the point of sobreity, or a smoker to get to the point of finally being able to say they have quit for good -- we will battle the same psychological attachments to our foods, until we get to the point where we feel bad enough to tackle it again.  I am there now -- but will I stay here?  I don't know, that remains to be seen -- all I know is THIS is a much better place than where I was a week ago.  

Well, I could type all day on this subject, but I will stop for now.  Thanks again for posting & I hope you are able to climb back on that wagon soon, instead of letting it run you over.  ;)  Take care!

Brewer5, thanks for your reply!  Loved reading what you had to say...and good that you know what I'm talking about.  Karen knows too.  I am her aunt and we use each other as sounding boards.  I certainly will let you and Karen know when I get tired of being "run over".

Since we are having rotisserie chicken tonight, it reminded me of when you asked about it.  Like Karen said, it is called Just Bare.  No added hormones, no antibiotics, no animal by-products.  Ingredients are:  chicken, water, sea salt and chicken broth.  Hopefully you can find them sold near you.

Day 3 update

Had a great day!  Aunt Sondra - soooo glad to see you on here :)

At work, I passed up a chinese food order and stuck with what I packed.  I found myself pleasantly hunger before each meal, but not starving.  Meal 3 was eaten in the car between work and church.  I made it to church a bit late for the lesson but just in time for some really good fellowship.  Now that I am at home, I have wandered into the kitchen not once, not twice, but three times and found myself looking in the fridge or pantry.  I feel like I am back at the very beginning of my first w30!  Its that sugar addiction at work.  Fortunately, I have been able to walk away :)

I am not hungry!!!!!!

*yeah, right*

I am not hungry!!!!!!!

*you think if you say it enough you will believe it?*

Really, I am not hungry - but I still want a chocolate chip cookie!!!!

*where did that come from*

(just a glimpse at the voices in my head  :rolleyes: )

Tomorrow will come quickly and I am going to go meet an old college friend - we are going for a walk and a picnic lunch together!  Then I am back to night shift work tomorrow night.  *sigh*

Archived