random vision problems

Something weird happened today and I'm not really sure why. I went to the gym for my normal workout - it was a very typical workout. I challenged myself as usual but nothing too strenuous. About 5 or 10 minutes after I was done there was one spot in both eyes that became very blurry. And the spot got progressively bigger (pretty quickly, like, within 10 minutes) to where I had a hard time seeing. I still had my peripheral vision but directly in front of me I could only see shapes and colors, no details. It was so bad I didn't feel comfortable driving. I thought maybe it could be low blood sugar (though I've never had any problems with low blood sugar before). After a little while I called my husband - he's a fireman and sees people with low blood sugar all the time but he said blurry vision isn't a symptom of low blood sugar (he said it's common to see people with tunnel vision). I still went with my gut and ate something. Sure enough, within 10 minutes my vision was restored however I got a massive headache and become super sleepy. To me, it still seems like it was low blood sugar, but my husband has asked every medic he works with and they all say they have never heard of that symptom from low blood sugar. Any thoughts on what it could be if it wasn't lbs? And if it was, why did it happen? I eat plenty of fruit and veggies so I should have had plenty of glycogen stored for one normal workout.

thanks in advance!

• Moderators

I know most doctors are ignorant about food, but I would contact my physician if I had the kind of symptoms you are describing - blurry vision, then massive headache, then super sleepy. Medics know a few things, but I'd want an MD involved in something like this.

I agree with Tom - see a doctor. The headache and that it was a spot in both eyes is what would worry me. (Actually, I think the massive headache would worry me the most - did it come on suddenly? Was it the worst you've ever had? I'm not a doctor but I've read so much on different types of headaches, and any "new" headache that you haven't experienced before, should mean a doctor's visit is needed, just to rule out anything really serious.)

But, I have in the past (and still continue to get) blurry vision at certain times if I haven't eaten for a few hours. I also get kind of shaky (like trembling kind of), nervous/anxious, sweaty, heart feels like it's beating faster, and sometimes tired. The symptoms usually go away about 10-15 min after I eat something. This used to be more often, but now it only happens: maybe once a week randomly if I haven't eaten in several hours, and probably 3-4x a week at around 7 p.m. (I work out around 8 or 9 p.m., and don't eat dinner before.)

• 5 months later...

Hi Heather! I know it's been a long time since this post, but I was just reading it and it sure sounds like a migraine to me. DId you ever have another one? When I get migraines my vision is all messed up for 15 mins - 1 hr, and then the headache hits. Just wondering what you and your chiro figured out!

Archived