Whole 70 starting on Sept 8. Who's in?

Rkrzywda

Hi all! Fabulous Day 1 in the bag and on to Day 2. Got in lots of prepping last night since I missed doing it over the weekend. Roasted a couple pans of root veggies and made chocolate chili for dinner tonight.

Feeling good about round 2 finally. Hopefully it sticks around for a while!

The activity challenge is perfect today! That is one of my goals with this round is to be more active. I was so focused on the nutrition and sleep aspects last time activity was kind of an afterthought. Hopefully the nutrition and sleep will still be so second nature I can focus on activity this time and have even better results.

Keep it up!

Day 1 for me was fine. Although i didnt really eat a good dinner because i was running around until 9:30pm so didnt want to go to sleep at 10 with a full stomach.

Today i think i am in "kill all things mode" everyone is irritating me :angry:

I made a Thai Chicken Curry in the slow cooker over night for lunch/dinner today as well as some coco-toasted cauliflower. yum. Hopefully i will feel better after my lunch ^_^

Anyone else feel much more full doing this?  I am surprised how I just can't overeat...and how full I feel, and how much I have no urge to snack.  And I'm not eating tons...Is this a normal result of this?  If so - I'm happy about it!  

This is how I was when I was pregnant - I could NOT overeat if I wanted to.  I had no desire to and even if I did my body would have not wanted it.  I've always wished I could be like that all the time.  

Another busy day over here.  I am taking my son to basketball right now and will walk with the twins through the large building rather than sitting and watching them run around!  That will be my 'extra' fit it in activity and we'll park far away from the building.    I haven't done it yet though - so I don't think I count as the first one posting.  Just posting my intention.   :) 

Hi all. So tired today....getting over my cold still and it is dragging on forever. The other board is crazy busy for sure! I am all for keeping this one going too so that when the 30 days for that group ends we have all kept in touch.

Dinner last night was chocolate chili. Staple in our house as everyone loves it.  So, it will be leftovers for lunch probably today and tomorrow as I always double the recipe.  Dinner tonight is in the crockpot: pork loin, potatoes and carrots. Plan to throw on some green beans when I get home and call it a night. Easy peasy. 

So far round 2 has been great. Holding off judgement until I get to days 10-12 which were my "I am so ready to jump ship" days. Literally, the first time I was in tears crying my way through those days.  Hoping it won't be so bad this time around since my slippery slope has really been around dinner with my other meals sticking pretty close to the Whole 30 template. Time will tell.

Off for more work.  Have great days!

My kitchen renovation is almost complete and I was able to use my stove for the first time in weeks this morning! Of course I used it to make my kids their favorite pancakes, but I'm proud to say that I stopped myself from licking my finger when some battered dropped on it! Small steps!!!

Hey Everyone - what other board are you all talking about?  Sorry - I'm so new to this!!    

So trimhealthymum should make the next challenge right?  

I didn't end up getting my extra steps in yesterday.  I was feeling achey and yucky yesterday (it was my day 4 yesterday).  Today I was grouchy in the morning, but much better tonight. 

Do any of you have a spiralizer (sp?)  ?  AMAZING!!!!  It turns vegetables into noodle shapes (think spaghetti shaped) and takes 1 minute!!  Tonight we had raw zucchini and carrots spiralized into noodle shapes and made a tomato sauce with basil, roasted red peppers and lean back bacon (no sugar added).  It was unbelievable.  Everyone in the family wanted seconds.  

I continue to be amazed at how I am not the slightest bit tempted to snack or eat junk food.  That is unreal for me, psychological eating is my worst problem so to have that vanish is very strange.   And I'm amazed at how full and satisfied I feel without eating seconds or snacks.  I always eat seconds and now I don't even want to even though the meals are delicious.  

I would like to add in exercise to this, but have not yet.   I also need to be drinking more water.  I just tend to forget during the day.  

Way to go not eating the batter on your fingers Rkrzywda (do you have a name I could use instead?)!  My husband bought donuts for the kids today and when I passed them out I also avoided licking the sugar off my fingers.  It is the little things, isn't it? :)  

How is everyone else doing today? 

oh and a question.  If I have jam that is sweetened only with fruit juice is it okay on this?  so the only ingredients would be fruit, juice and pectin.  I was thinking of adding it to chia in the morning.  Chia is okay, right?  

And have any of you made chia with coconut milk or do you usually make it with just water?  

Okay I found a reply to someone else from melissa about chia.  She wrote: 

"Confused much? Sorry about this. When it's your program (and you make the rules), sometimes things fall through the cracks.

The short answer: chia is not encouraged in general, but fine for your Whole30.

The long answer: I'm actually regretting classifying this as a pseudo-cereal in It Starts With Food - we will probably edit this out in the next edition. Mat Lalonde calls it a pseudo-cereal, Robb Wolf says it's not necessarily health food but probably not problematic, and Mark Sisson classifies it as pretty much the same as flax and hemp seed.

We've always taken the Sisson approach - because of the nutrient profile, we believe it falls more into the flax/hemp category than the buckwheat/quinoa category. Those foods - flax, hemp, and chia - are not encouraged because of their particular fatty acid profile, but they are highly unlikely to be problematic in the same way other grains are during your Whole30. Therefore, they're in - not encouraged, but not banned.

Apologies for the confusion - like I said, sometimes even we have to make a judgment call ruling on Whole30 questions like this.M" 

The other forum group that most of us are chatting on as well is title something like: Septeber 8th anyone? I can't copy the link from my phone. You would find that group very helpful.

I'm not sure about the jam. I asked about those all natural fruit strips and a moderator told me no. Whatever thickening agent there was, it was not compliant. It might have been pectin. Look up and see what pectin is. It might be a sugar.

I have been meaning to type my mayo ingredients out to you.  Hopefully it really is compliant.  It's from "All Natural The Ojai Cook"  this type is called Latin Lemonaise and the ingredients are: 

canola oil, liquid whole eggs, jalapeno peppers, Creole mustard (distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, spices), water, liquid egg yolk, distilled vinegar, onions, concentrated lemon juice, fresh garlic, salt, cumin, concentrated lime juice, cayenne pepper 

Well I'm doing pretty well.  I haven't been getting good nights sleep as my oldest has a bad cold and my youngest two have had fevers - so it's hard to gauge if my energy level would be changing as I'm so tired from being up with the kids.  

My husband is out of town this week too and I'm a little worried that I'm ill prepared with groceries and I really don't find it easy to run to the grocery with 4 kids.

I realize I'm sounding like a negative person, when I really am usually quite positive.  :)  

Anyways, those are my challenges for staying on track this week.  So far I have found it quite easy to stay on track and I enjoy how little I am craving things.  

I have also found almond butter doesn't sit that well with me, and have made my own cashew butter and it is fantastic!  

Can you all share your breakfast and lunch ideas on here?  

Isn't it great to have those cravings go away?

I tend to make larger batches of food so I can have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch. Another favorite for breakfast is diced sweet potatoes sautéed in ghee with whatever other veggies and or protein I feel like having for the next couple of days. I usually make 3 mornings worth. I keep extra grilled meat in single serving pouches in the freezer so I can have them ready to add to a salad or vegetable ragout for lunch. It just is easier for me to cook multiple chicken breasts on the weekend instead of every night in addition to dinner.

My challenge is exercise. I currently don't have the time or energy. I need to be mindful and plan to change this behavior as I have with my eating.

I'm struggling with eating so much meat.  I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years before I was pregnant with the twins (2 years ago), and I am used to eating meat only 3-4 times a week MAX.  Eating it with every meal (or fish or eggs) is getting hard for me.  I'm used to getting my protein from beans and dairy also.  

I mean, I'm still enjoying my meals, they taste good and I'm still feeling well - but the *thought* of eating meat before each meal is hard to me.  

I know it is part of the whole 30 to eat meat with each meal, but if I omit it a meal or two and just eat more vegetables (root vegetables maybe?) and more fat am I breaking the challenge?  

Anyone else struggle with this?  

Prior to this I would eat eggs 90% of the time for breakfast and now with so much animal protein (and I'm only having 1 portion/meal) I just don't even want eggs in the morning.  

Any help/thoughts or advice on this would be great.  Thanks! 

Archived